THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2465, 2466, 2467 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Quote:
George Takei
@GeorgeTakei
Fun fact: In 2016, Trump paid Stormy Daniels more than 173x what he paid the federal government in income taxes.

She deserved every cent.

Bet she claimed it as income on her taxes too.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-campaign-manager-brad-parscale-hospitalized-harm-police/story?id=73283795

Quote:
Former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale hospitalized after threatening to harm himself: Police

Quote:
President Trump's former 2020 campaign manager and current campaign senior advisor, Brad Parscale, was taken into custody this evening by Fort Lauderdale Police after allegedly threatening to harm himself at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ABC News has confirmed.

According to a public information officer with the Ft Lauderdale Police Department, a 911 call was placed by Parscale's wife who advised that "her husband was armed, had access to multiple firearms inside the residence and was threatening to harm himself. Officers determined the only occupant inside the home was the adult male," referring to Parscale.

This happened after The NY Times story dropped. Someone knows how bad it is.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject:

As if things couldn't get any more weird.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-campaign-manager-brad-parscale-hospitalized-harm-police/story?id=73283795

Quote:
Former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale hospitalized after threatening to harm himself: Police

Quote:
President Trump's former 2020 campaign manager and current campaign senior advisor, Brad Parscale, was taken into custody this evening by Fort Lauderdale Police after allegedly threatening to harm himself at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ABC News has confirmed.

According to a public information officer with the Ft Lauderdale Police Department, a 911 call was placed by Parscale's wife who advised that "her husband was armed, had access to multiple firearms inside the residence and was threatening to harm himself. Officers determined the only occupant inside the home was the adult male," referring to Parscale.

Recent videos of DT Jr suggest he's soon going to be taking a break for a drug rehab stay also.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I wonder who leaked it.

Cohen?
Weisselberg?

Some have suggested Mary Trump, but she doesn't have the more recent tax documents.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I wonder who leaked it.

Cohen?
Weisselberg?

Some have suggested Mary Trump, but she doesn't have the more recent tax documents.

Or someone with access to Deutsche Bank records. Or someone in a law office or prosecutor's office or FBI who had their investigation squelched by Barr.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I wonder who leaked it.

Cohen?
Weisselberg?

Melania...she realized he is too broke to pay off on her renegotiated prenup when she divorces him.

Times said it was someone who legally had access to the info so had to be someone in the family or in Trump organization?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

This thread is as exciting as the Laker game thread.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

As much as I am disgusted by the entire Trump universe, I am glad Parscale did not hurt himself or anyone else. Now lock him up if he committed crimes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

It's coming apart at the seams. The Emperor Has No Clothes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

This got "leaked" because the Trump campaign wanted it to be.

It's another distraction. People will get livid that Trump cheated on his taxes. Meanwhile, the fact that he is trying to steal the election will become part of the OLD news cycle. Trump will justify why he skated on his taxes and the rest of the corruption will disappear, just like the USPS service corruption, Russian bounties, impeachment, and countless other "THIS IS IT! WE GOT HIM!" moments.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

^^^ I hope not. All things come to a end.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh told ABC News in a statement tonight, "Brad Parscale is a member of our family and we all love him. We are ready to support him and his family in any way possible. The disgusting, personal attacks from Democrats and disgruntled RINOs have gone too far, and they should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to this man and his family."

Despite the Trump campaign's statement, there is no evidence implicating Democrats or any other group in the incident involving Parsacle, according to the information provided by law enforcement. Parscale has yet to personally comment on the matter.

What? I'm pretty sure the Democrats didn't fire him from his position as campaign manager, Trump did. Dude is trying to blame Democrats for this guy trying to harm himself. Ridiculous.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It's another distraction. People will get livid that Trump cheated on his taxes. Meanwhile, the fact that he is trying to steal the election will become part of the OLD news cycle. Trump will justify why he skated on his taxes and the rest of the corruption will disappear, just like the USPS service corruption, Russian bounties, impeachment, and countless other "THIS IS IT! WE GOT HIM!" moments.

I agree Trump is trying to steal the election. I agree our media is fast moving and the public has a short attention span.
But I'm not sure if this helps him. And what makes me think this isn't pre-planned on his end (besides the suicide attempt from his staffer) is that he really reallly really cares about other people thinking he's financially successful. He values that appearance more than he values appearing truthful, thoughtful, caring, .... heck even human.
He's a fragile man child whose core, whose whole self esteem is directly tied to making people think he's rich.
It's why he puts his name on buildings he doesn't own. It's why he pretends to be someone else, changes his voice, and calls magazines bragging about "Donald Trump's wealth". It's why he's guarded his tax information the way he did. People speculated he was worried it would be revealed he broke the law with tax fraud. like he cares about breaking the law or thinks laws apply to him. This is a guy who sent someone to threaten the life of a mistress's toddler. Because ... he could.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
This thread is as exciting as the Laker game thread.

Not exciting as that thread where someone was staking out a possible meeting in a restaurant somewhere between Lebron and Kawhi. That was a classic thread.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I get what you're saying but I don't think that's the case this time. He didn't spend every minute of the last 4 years hiding his tax returns (and still in court fighting releasing tax returns) to all of the sudden "let it out" right before the election as a "distraction." This exposes him in a way he has always sought to avoid -- both emotionally (people knowing he's not as rich as he brags about - therefore he's a loser), and criminally (this exposes him and his kids - including Ivanka - to infinitely more criminal prosecutions). Like I said, I get that Trump will use anything as a distraction, but I just don't think this is one of the those times.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Harry Litman @harrylitman

A lot of potentially complicated financial and tax issues, but one overriding one that is simple as rain: The President of the United States owes $421 million in loans and other debts. WHOM DOES HE OWE IT TO?? The American people are absolutely entitled to know.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject:

And the NYT will be rolling out additional stories reporting various aspects of Trump's tax avoidance scheme in more detail. It's a rolling unfolding story, not a one-day story.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Brian Klaas @brianklaas

The other sinister aspect of the Trump tax story is that his finances are so bad that it raises the possibility he systematically lied to Americans about covid-19 and tried to re-open way faster than was safe because he needed the business income from his hotels and golf course.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

Although this journalist is primarily addressing others in the media, this echoes my feeling on this topic:

Quote:
Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

"This won't matter to Trump voters" is dumb. Trump can't win with just his most committed supporters. Every day that he isn't winning back the voters that he must win back is a lost day. Why are we still dwelling in this place where "Trump voters" are the only voters who matter?

I've written a dozen pieces about this, so yes, I'm aware of this problem as well. But your framing is wrong. If enough voters oppose Trump he *cannot* steal it.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I get what you're saying but I don't think that's the case this time. He didn't spend every minute of the last 4 years hiding his tax returns (and still in court fighting releasing tax returns) to all of the sudden "let it out" right before the election as a "distraction." This exposes him in a way he has always sought to avoid -- both emotionally (people knowing he's not as rich as he brags about - therefore he's a loser), and criminally (this exposes him and his kids - including Ivanka - to infinitely more criminal prosecutions). Like I said, I get that Trump will use anything as a distraction, but I just don't think this is one of the those times.

In addition to that, it's not as if the New York Times received the information on Friday and published the article on Sunday. The reporting probably took months. They needed to go through the documents, verify them, talk to experts, etc. The timing of the article was controlled by them, not Trump.

But there was one story about his taxes that Trump definitely leaked. It was that big story Rachel Maddow had a couple years ago. The documents mysteriously showed up at David Cay Johnston's door and they just happened to show a year where Trump did pay taxes and Trump's people were quick to say "Look, he does pay taxes!"
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Although this journalist is primarily addressing others in the media, this echoes my feeling on this topic:

Quote:
Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

"This won't matter to Trump voters" is dumb. Trump can't win with just his most committed supporters. Every day that he isn't winning back the voters that he must win back is a lost day. Why are we still dwelling in this place where "Trump voters" are the only voters who matter?

I've written a dozen pieces about this, so yes, I'm aware of this problem as well. But your framing is wrong. If enough voters oppose Trump he *cannot* steal it.

Yea this is what the “Trump supporters don’t care” thing misses. Trump supporters don’t matter. There aren’t enough supporters to win the election for him. Trump supporters aren’t even all the people who voted for him in 2016. They are just the diehard mouth breathers who still think his (bleep) doesn’t stink. There are millions who voted for him in 2016 that were former Obama voters, anti-Hillary voters, “he’s a good businessman” voters, etc who this does move the needle for. He won by 77,000 votes across a few states. If everything else remained the same even just a small portion of voters switching from him to Biden would be enough. Obviously things haven’t remained the same, so this is another thing that removes a small bit of support.

Another thing is this is something else that keeps trump on the defensive. It’s another few news cycles he can’t attack Biden because he’s defending himself. With the debate tomorrow the news cycle on this lasts even longer than normal because Biden will 100% make it a point.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

^
That's why Biden being just under, at, or above 50% in national and state polling is the most crucial number of all.

Trump needs to win pretty much all the undecideds or take away support from Biden.

This story doesn't help him. Distractions, in general, don't help him. He needs to convince people to join him or leave Biden.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Everyone has known he is a fraud and a horrible business man for years. There's no embarrassing revelation here. Meanwhile, people are talking about this now instead of Project November Theft. And this tax thing is far less damning that most of the other truly horrible scandals he has weathered. Trump may not have been wild about the idea, but I have no doubt he knew this was coming because his team leaked it as way to get the subject on to something else.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
And the NYT will be rolling out additional stories reporting various aspects of Trump's tax avoidance scheme in more detail. It's a rolling unfolding story, not a one-day story.

Probably not. But I bet dollars to donuts the media is on to something else by the end of the week.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2465, 2466, 2467 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2466 of 3663
Jump to: