2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Did I just get suckered by a workout video? Yes!

Warming back up to Tyrell Terry.

I need to see athletic gains. I saw that vid and thought, he'll still get attacked on defense and I need to see more ball-handling.

Otherwise, he's a small, off-ball, 3 level shooter? On an actually good Stanford offense?

I think he has scoring lead guard upside. You'd want to leverage his ability off-ball with a bigger plus passer, but I see him ultimately as a guy who can flow from PnR to off-ball work fluidly while being adequate on defense if you can limit his possessions as a PoA defender.

Put him on the Mavs and I think Dallas will have found its third guy (if Porzingis can stay healthy).

Ah, I was looking with LAL lenses for sure. I think DAL wants a defender more than another PG. I'd likely resign Trey Burke (isn't that a rough median/high outcome for Terry anyway?). If they get some versatile defender with the hope of being a lob threat or 3pt spacer, then I'd really worry about them.

Deep down, I don't want them getting Udoka Azubuike. He's been underrated all draft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Did I just get suckered by a workout video? Yes!

Warming back up to Tyrell Terry.

I need to see athletic gains. I saw that vid and thought, he'll still get attacked on defense and I need to see more ball-handling.

Otherwise, he's a small, off-ball, 3 level shooter? On an actually good Stanford offense?

I think he has scoring lead guard upside. You'd want to leverage his ability off-ball with a bigger plus passer, but I see him ultimately as a guy who can flow from PnR to off-ball work fluidly while being adequate on defense if you can limit his possessions as a PoA defender.

Put him on the Mavs and I think Dallas will have found its third guy (if Porzingis can stay healthy).

Ah, I was looking with LAL lenses for sure. I think DAL wants a defender more than another PG. I'd likely resign Trey Burke (isn't that a rough median/high outcome for Terry anyway?). If they get some versatile defender with the hope of being a lob threat or 3pt spacer, then I'd really worry about them.

Deep down, I don't want them getting Udoka Azubuike. He's been underrated all draft.

I think Terry's a different tier as a shooter than Burke at the same age and in particular is more effective as a movement shooter. You obviously don't buy that Terry's 6'3 now, so let's wait for more official measurements.

No, Dallas desperately needs someone who can generate offense besides Luka. He's a machine, but Doncic is a helluva off-ball player in his own right and he deserves some easier shots now and then, and Dallas needs a much better option than Burke, THJr, or Jalen Brunson to be that guy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

^I'm not addressing specific team needs for DAL.

I don't even think offense is the actual issue. THJr, Brunson, or Trey haven't solved it so why go with another one when Trey was the best of the 3?

Just saying, Powell is hurt, and they would kill for a rebound/finishing magnet that has a clue for switching/drop coverage.

That is Azubuike. Imagine what Luka could do with that.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I don't even think offense is the actual issue. THJr, Brunson, or Trey haven't solved it so why go with another one when Trey was the best of the 3?

Just saying, Powell is hurt, and they would kill for a rebound/finishing magnet that has a clue for switching/drop coverage.

I mean, he'll be available in the second round so the Mavs can still draft him, but I've never seen the switchability. I know you've watched him more over the years.

The Mavs' offense sputtered in 4th Qs all season against good defenses because it turned into Luka isos against switches with no real outlet. They need a complementary star who can get his own shot - a 2B guy - and Porzingis is too limited as a play creator to be that guy consistently. Plus his health issues make him unreliable.

The disconnect is that I think Terry has star upside and you think he has backup scoring guard upside. We shall see.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

I don't get why John Pertty Jr. gets no recognition nationally. Either I misjudged his talent or there is some off court or other issues involved.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I mean, he'll be available in the second round so the Mavs can still draft him, but I've never seen the switchability. I know you've watched him more over the years.

The Mavs' offense sputtered in 4th Qs all season against good defenses because it turned into Luka isos against switches with no real outlet. They need a complementary star who can get his own shot - a 2B guy - and Porzingis is too limited as a play creator to be that guy consistently. Plus his health issues make him unreliable.

The disconnect is that I think Terry has star upside and you think he has backup scoring guard upside. We shall see.

I see you're looking at the offensive side for the Mavs. It just happens that LAC had two elite wing defenders. I think that's an exception, not the rule, I think Terry can actually get pressured without a higher tier of quickness or actual shake with his ball-handling. If it's PG on Terry, even down the line, that's PG winning that, and even a high IQ player like Brunson or a shot creator like Burke haven't broken that yet.

I think that if Dallas is able just to get a rebounder, (I don't even know where they're drafting, this is more of a team need thing), then that helps shore their defense that much more even with their all time offensive rating as a team.

They really finished at 116.7. I think that's best NBA All Time.

They were 4th in rebounding overall, which covered up for a lot of mistakes, but if they're able to buy extra possessions (and this is where I'd be even more afraid of Luka even though he's arguably my favorite player right now), then I think that just leans Mavs favor more. Imagine Luka getting even more possessions?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I don't get why John Pertty Jr. gets no recognition nationally. Either I misjudged his talent or there is some off court or other issues involved.

A sub 1:1 A/TO rate on a non-#1 option for a guard is almost a red flag.

18% TO rate is barely forgiveable for someone like Lonzo.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

While Kira got his on offense I felt Petty was the primary option. He normally looked for his offense first before making a pass.

Most of his turnovers were due to being too aggressive attempting to get to the rim instead of taking what the defense gives him.

What I like about Petty is not just his offensive abilities but also to being a good defender who plays hard and though slight of frame challenges for rebounds. In this respect it is the same impression I got from Jalen Smith.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

While Kira got his on offense I felt Petty was the primary option. He normally looked for his offense first before making a pass.

Most of his turnovers were due to being too aggressive attempting to get to the rim instead of taking what the defense gives him.

What I like about Petty is not just his offensive abilities but also to being a good defender who plays hard and though slight of frame challenges for rebounds. In this respect it is the same impression I got from Jalen Smith.

I admit I haven't watched a lot of him.

However, I'm almost to the point of a preequisite when it comes to ORtg and DRtg for players. If they can't pass this threshhold for whatever reason, I root them out.

The baseline is ORtg ~116
The baseline is DRtg <98
Preference of a 20+ point spread.

Petty is 113/102.7. Maybe I should go into the tape, but that reads more of what an NBA player should have, not an NCAA guy ready for the next level.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I see you're looking at the offensive side for the Mavs. It just happens that LAC had two elite wing defenders. I think that's an exception, not the rule, I think Terry can actually get pressured without a higher tier of quickness or actual shake with his ball-handling. If it's PG on Terry, even down the line, that's PG winning that, and even a high IQ player like Brunson or a shot creator like Burke haven't broken that yet.

I think that if Dallas is able just to get a rebounder, (I don't even know where they're drafting, this is more of a team need thing), then that helps shore their defense that much more even with their all time offensive rating as a team.

They really finished at 116.7. I think that's best NBA All Time.

They were 4th in rebounding overall, which covered up for a lot of mistakes, but if they're able to buy extra possessions (and this is where I'd be even more afraid of Luka even though he's arguably my favorite player right now), then I think that just leans Mavs favor more. Imagine Luka getting even more possessions?

I realize Murray's looking like an outlier in terms of development, but do you recall his handle at Kentucky?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I realize Murray's looking like an outlier in terms of development, but do you recall his handle at Kentucky?

Kentucky hides all of the skills. He was an off-ball shooter at Kentucky and ran off a lot a picks.

His "quickness" is high end gravity at all 3 levels, plus 1 change of direction, plus body control.

He's like the best example of why I wouldn't mind a handcheck rule in the NBA. Defenders that play tight along the perimeter can be physical, and also get beaten off the dribble and there are lanes to exploit.

818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

Where do you see Ty-shon Alexander going and thoughts on him?

I just found out about him and looks pretty interesting. I would prefer a 3&D wing, but he looks like he could contribute right away.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Jake Rosen on the "pillars" of his scouting philosophy: Link
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad you linked it. In two draft chat group DMs with him in it.

Just wish it went more into specific skills.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'm glad you linked it. In two draft chat group DMs with him in it.

Just wish it went more into specific skills.

I would like to see an intersection of archetypes with Rosen's pillars, but I love the multivalent skillset he champions.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:

I just found out about him and looks pretty interesting. I would prefer a 3&D wing, but he looks like he could contribute right away.

ESPN projects him going undrafted. He's a guy that'd be fun to see in "summer" league or as a camp invite. Looks kind of Lindsey Hunter-ish as an off-ball PG who's pesky on defense, but thankfully bigger.
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:

ESPN projects him going undrafted. He's a guy that'd be fun to see in "summer" league or as a camp invite. Looks kind of Lindsey Hunter-ish as an off-ball PG who's pesky on defense, but thankfully bigger.

I saw him 30 on KOC's big board and looked up other mocks and big boards and he's either not on there or around late 2nd round.

I wasn't sure if he was being overlooked or what. His defense looks impressive and good 3 point shooter on high volume . He doesn't look like an undrafted kinda guy to me
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
818fan wrote:

I saw him 30 on KOC's big board and looked up other mocks and big boards and he's either not on there or around late 2nd round.

I wasn't sure if he was being overlooked or what. His defense looks impressive and good 3 point shooter on high volume . He doesn't look like an undrafted kinda guy to me

I definitely don't trust The Ringer or KOC for any kind of draft scouting.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Ben_Pfeifer_/status/1310973854924320770/photo/1

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
818fan wrote:

I'd certainly take him over a number of the big men commonly mocked in the second round.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
818fan wrote:
818fan wrote:

This
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
818fan wrote:
818fan wrote:

Ah I gotchu that makes sense
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
818fan wrote:
818fan wrote:

Ah I gotchu that makes sense

I'll try to provide more links/video as draft day approaches.

818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

I just want us to strike gold with a shooter for once. Would like to see Nate Darling signed as an UDFA
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
I just want us to strike gold with a shooter for once. Would like to see Nate Darling signed as an UDFA

The Lakers have a slim chance at that. Better off just trying to find a guy that can actually make the squad.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 15 of 48
Jump to: