Never
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: What do you do for exercise these days?

With gyms closed/unsafe and the air too bad to run, how are you exercising?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Run outdoors (after checking 4 different websites for an aggregate estimation of air quality) and lift weights at home. Probably will join a masters swim team soon.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I hate running. I get my cardio workout on playing ping pong coupe hours a day against some old Asian guys in my neighborhood lol they’re freaking good, 2 on 2 games are very intense. For strengthening I have a squat rack, dip station, I also have a bench for my abdominal workouts.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I’ve always worked out from home since I got in shape. I was 220 lbs in 2015 but changed my diet and started working out with P90 and dropped down to 155 by early 2016 and I’ve maintained that with home workouts. I’ll usually follow one of the Beachbody workout programs like P90x, Liift4, Insanity etc. then once done I’ll just do maintenance workouts for a month where I just pick something on YouTube and follow 3-4 times a week. I usually pick from Bodycoach TV, Zeus Fitness, Funk Roberts or HASFit. I finished Liift4 a few weeks ago so right now I’m just doing maintenance workouts and then in a couple of weeks I’ll probably start P90x3 again.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I’ve always worked out from home since I got in shape. I was 220 lbs in 2015 but changed my diet and started working out with P90 and dropped down to 155 by early 2016 and I’ve maintained that with home workouts. I’ll usually follow one of the Beachbody workout programs like P90x, Liift4, Insanity etc. then once done I’ll just do maintenance workouts for a month where I just pick something on YouTube and follow 3-4 times a week. I usually pick from Bodycoach TV, Zeus Fitness, Funk Roberts or HASFit. I finished Liift4 a few weeks ago so right now I’m just doing maintenance workouts and then in a couple of weeks I’ll probably start P90x3 again.

What's a good one for someone that has little access to equipment? I know P90 requires a few things - dumbbells, etc - that I don't have access to ATM for cheap (not spending $300 on dumbbells). I could get a resistance band, mat, etc, but no weight sets . . .
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

[joke]

I use a lot of meth, get paranoid as hell, and run from the cops. This helps drop a lot of weight. I'm almost back to my original weight: 8 lbs. & 5 oz. (birth weight)

[/joke]

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
trmiv wrote:

What's a good one for someone that has little access to equipment? I know P90 requires a few things - dumbbells, etc - that I don't have access to ATM for cheap (not spending $300 on dumbbells). I could get a resistance band, mat, etc, but no weight sets . . .

P90 can be done with just resistance bands, that’s what I used when I did it.

For no equipment at all on the Beachbody stuff, Insanity, Insanity Max 30 and T25 are all no equipment.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

tennis and running outside

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject:

My gym has been open for a couple months....I think I would have lost my mind at this point if the gym was still closed.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I am 5'7 and had gotten up to 193 on May 31. Decided to make major changes the next day. I had fallen into a rut where I was only playing tennis once a week, and doing no exercise on any other day of the week. My eating habits were horrible, and I drank a lot of sugary fruit punch-type drinks. So on June 1, I vowed to play more tennis, and on any non-tennis day, I'd go for an hour-long walk. Three months later, I was down to 160 with the exercise and dietary routines drastically changed. I was 155.6 when I woke up today. My hour-long walk has turned into a 70-minute walk/jog where I walk for the first 30 minutes and then jog/walk on and off for the next 40 minutes.

Now that I'm trim again, I might focus on some strength exercises once our fitness center reopens, or maybe just incorporate some push-ups or something into my routine, but for now I'm quite happy to just be fit again. I'm actually about to go on my walk/jog right now. I often wait until sports are over at night before I do it.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

6 am 45 to 60 minute bike ride 7 days a week.

1 hr to 1 hr 20 minutes yoga session. 6 days a week.

Hour or 2 salsa dancing 3 nights a week.

Went from 104 kilos to 75 kilos in a 2 or 3 years period.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

2 to 4 hours of exercise a day?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I am 5'7 and had gotten up to 193 on May 31. Decided to make major changes the next day. I had fallen into a rut where I was only playing tennis once a week, and doing no exercise on any other day of the week. My eating habits were horrible, and I drank a lot of sugary fruit punch-type drinks. So on June 1, I vowed to play more tennis, and on any non-tennis day, I'd go for an hour-long walk. Three months later, I was down to 160 with the exercise and dietary routines drastically changed. I was 155.6 when I woke up today. My hour-long walk has turned into a 70-minute walk/jog where I walk for the first 30 minutes and then jog/walk on and off for the next 40 minutes.

Now that I'm trim again, I might focus on some strength exercises once our fitness center reopens, or maybe just incorporate some push-ups or something into my routine, but for now I'm quite happy to just be fit again. I'm actually about to go on my walk/jog right now. I often wait until sports are over at night before I do it.

Congratulations bub!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Congratulations bub!

Ha, thanks. The fact that I could lose so much weight in three months tells you how horrific my eating habits were and how lazy I had become.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

2 to 4 hours of exercise a day?

Well I don't consider the dancing exercise anymore. But yeah a couple hours
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

wow, i'm shocked how much similar we are. i weighed 213 lb back on 2016, then divorce came and i got into mild depression for a couple months, during which i lost all my appetite and watched the weight started to go down. after i recovered from it, i started hitting the gym, i was down to 138 lb in 2018, and now creeped back up to 157, but i think most of the gain are muscle.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

Is running or walking outside safe without a mask?

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Don't ask a binary question. Nothing is 100 percent safe, and everything comes with some level of risk. There's also risk vs. benefit to consider.

On the whole, the risk of contraction is pretty remote for working out outside, given the open air and UV exposure, especially if you maintain separation from others. And given the benefits of the exercise, the risk:reward proposition is pretty soundly on the reward side.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Inspirational.

I was 191 in July. Scale said 168.5 today. Went vegetarian 6 of 7 days. Occasional peloton (20-30min) for scenic stuff, but wasn't pushing my body. Was surprised how much of this was all due to dietary changes.

I guess now I do the exercise part. But if I ever hit 155-160 (oh please I'd love to get there again), that would be absolutely phenomenal.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Inspirational.

I was 191 in July. Scale said 168.5 today. Went vegetarian 6 of 7 days. Occasional peloton (20-30min) for scenic stuff, but wasn't pushing my body. Was surprised how much of this was all due to dietary changes.

I guess now I do the exercise part. But if I ever hit 155-160 (oh please I'd love to get there again), that would be absolutely phenomenal.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Inspirational.

Build your strength and conditioning in the gym. Build your body in the kitchen.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Don't ask a binary question. Nothing is 100 percent safe, and everything comes with some level of risk. There's also risk vs. benefit to consider.

On the whole, the risk of contraction is pretty remote for working out outside, given the open air and UV exposure, especially if you maintain separation from others. And given the benefits of the exercise, the risk:reward proposition is pretty soundly on the reward side.

Was this kind of response warranted? Personally, I don't go outside without a mask. Nothing is 100 percent safe, but walking around with a mask outside is still safer than walking around without one, especially with how lax people are about masks and distancing (especially teenagers/college kids and boomers).

You can also run with a mask on too, and if that's too hard then there are lots of indoor cardio routines you can do via a simple YouTube search.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Was this kind of response warranted? Personally, I don't go outside without a mask. Nothing is 100 percent safe, but walking around with a mask outside is still safer than walking around without one, especially with how lax people are about masks and distancing (especially teenagers/college kids and boomers).

You can also run with a mask on too, and if that's too hard then there are lots of indoor cardio routines you can do via a simple YouTube search.

Seems Larry’s response was that it isn’t a simple yes or no, but a continuum.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Inspirational.

Way to go!

About mask wearing, I don't wear my mask when I go outside to walk/jog, although I actually did for some of those days when the air quality was awful. I live near Angel Stadium and I take a route where I'm near a lot of apartment buildings, and if I see anyone approaching I simply get out of the way (or they do). Like, I'll just go into the street if I have to for a moment, but I don't get within a few feet of anyone and I even turn my head the other way if someone is coming one way and I'm going the other, even though I make sure I move more than a few feet away. And, as I said, I usually do this after 9 or 10PM so there's hardly anyone out there.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I was lucky enough to already have a barbell before quarantine so I just pieced together some bumper plates, a rack, and a bench over a few months and now I’m able to do my Olympic lifts (snatch, clean&jerk) as well as the basics like squat, bench, press, pull-ups, leg raises. I don’t think I’ll ever pay for a gym membership again unless it’s $10/month or less; I was paying $40/mo before the shutdown.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: