2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Looking great in the biggest game of the year so far!

Roberts’ decision to start with Graterol and come in with May has worked great so far. Give credit when credit is due.

yep plus we got the season series, plus a playoff berth

now that there in again, is when i begin to worry

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Does Lux make the playoff roster? He’s an automatic out right now.

I don't think he would make it, as it stands now. He's even making fielding errors. Joc doesn't deserve to play, either, not even against righties. Just put Pollock out there in LF and put Taylor at 2B. As for DH, I think in Game 1 you will see Will Smith at DH because Barnes will be Kershaw's catcher. If Barnes isn't a completely automatic out, you could just keep it like that for all 3 games in the first round.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

We choked the Kershaw game away...but other than that we showed that we are far superior to those Padre Guppies!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Bad news: Caleb Ferguson has a "pretty good tear" in his UCL. It sounds like he needs Tommy John surgery, but Dave Roberts believes there's still a chance he can try to pitch through it first.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
We choked the Kershaw game away...but other than that we showed that we are far superior to those Padre Guppies!

I can’t say we choked the game away since we only scored 2 runs. The best we could have hoped for was a 2-1 win. I can’t call that a choke.

We had 4 hits and 14 strikeouts that game. Our offense was enemic.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Bad news: Caleb Ferguson has a "pretty good tear" in his UCL. It sounds like he needs Tommy John surgery, but Dave Roberts believes there's still a chance he can try to pitch through it first.

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:
“I don’t know how partial, or how much of a tear it is, but from my understanding it’s a pretty good tear,” manager Dave Roberts said on a conference call Wednesday. “As far as the near future, he’s got a decision to try to play with it as I understand it, or opt for surgery.”

Why would he even try to pitch on a partially torn UCL? That makes no sense to me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:
“I don’t know how partial, or how much of a tear it is, but from my understanding it’s a pretty good tear,” manager Dave Roberts said on a conference call Wednesday. “As far as the near future, he’s got a decision to try to play with it as I understand it, or opt for surgery.”

Why would he even try to pitch on a partially torn UCL? That makes no sense to me.

Ervin Santana pitched with one for years and never had TJ surgery. Same for Masahiro Tanaka, though he has never really been the same since. If you can still pitch with it, guys almost always try to exhaust all of their options before having surgery. Pro athletes usually view surgery as a last resort. I'm with you, though; unless it's a very small tear, you'd probably better off just having the procedure done.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:

Ervin Santana pitched with one for years and never had TJ surgery. Same for Masahiro Tanaka, though he has never really been the same since. If you can still pitch with it, guys almost always try to exhaust all of their options before having surgery. Pro athletes usually view surgery as a last resort. I'm with you, though; unless it's a very small tear, you'd probably better off just having the procedure done.

That’s interesting.

Usually they are so protective of pitchers.

Roberts made it sound like it’s Ferguson’s decision. And he said “near future” which seems like he’s saying try and continue pitching then have surgery or just have surgery.

I mean, if it’s partially torn, couldn’t you completely tear it if you keep pitching?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject:

deGrom just dropped way behind in the Cy Young race.

It’s Bauer’s to lose now

Quote:
deGrom today:

2ip
4 hits
3 runs

2.09 ERA

I’d say it’s

1) Bauer (1.71 ERA, 0.81 Whip, 58ip)
2) Darvish (1.86 ERA, 0.94 Whip, 63ip)
3) Lamet (2.12 ERA, 0.89 Whip, 59.1ip)
4) deGrom (2.09 ERA, 0.93 Whip, 56ip)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:

A friend of mine used to pitch in MLB. He has a strange opinion, in that he believes that every drafted high school and college pitcher who signs should immediately be scheduled for Tommy John surgery. He believes that almost every young pitcher has abused their UCL, and that it makes more sense to get the surgery out of the way early rather than later. It's kind of a strange opinion, in that it is predicated on the belief that the surgical procedure is now low-risk, and that getting it done early won't interfere with career progression later.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:

A friend of mine used to pitch in MLB. He has a strange opinion, in that he believes that every drafted high school and college pitcher who signs should immediately be scheduled for Tommy John surgery. He believes that almost every young pitcher has abused their UCL, and that it makes more sense to get the surgery out of the way early rather than later. It's kind of a strange opinion, in that it is predicated on the belief that the surgical procedure is now low-risk, and that getting it done early won't interfere with career progression later.

It’s a quite common opinion. I’ve heard that parents of high schoolers push their kids to get it. I heard that it makes your arm stronger as well. I think Buehler came back throwing harder after the surgery.

Quote:
UCL reconstruction — also called Tommy John surgery, after the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher who was first to have it in 1974 — is quite successful, says Dr. Schickendantz. But interest in the procedure has soared since ball players began claiming that Tommy John surgery improved their throwing.

It’s a misperception, however, says Dr. Schickendantz.

“The surgery may help you throw better than you did with a damaged UCL, but it isn’t a performance enhancement,” he says. “Tommy John surgery is not an elective surgery for ball players trying to improve their ability. It should be performed only when necessary.”
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject:

If I'm not mistaken Ferguson had Tommy John surgery during high school, so this would be the second one for him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers' Walker Buehler: Won't return this week

Buehler (finger) threw an 80-pitch simulated game Wednesday but will throw another before returning from the injured list, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.

Buehler battled a blister during his previous outing and was placed on the injured list. He would have been eligible to start at some point against the Rockies this weekend, but the Dodgers can afford to be cautious, so they'll give him another simulated outing before he returns to action. He's expected to make one start in the final week of the regular season as a tune-up for the playoffs.

We have 10 games left and this looks like our scheduled starters:

Quote:
9/17 - Urias
9/18 - undecided
9/19 - Kershaw
9/20 - Gonsolin

9/21 - off day

9/22 - May
9/23 - Urias
9/24 - undecided
9/25 - Kershaw
9/26 - Gonsolin
9/27 - May??

9/28 - off day
9/29 - off day

9/30 - game 1
10/1 - game 2
10/3 - game 3

Some notes:

1) It looks like there’s a spot in the schedule for Buehler to come back on 9/24

2) I don’t think May pitches on 9/27. We’ll probably call up a couple players from the alternate site. I think they’ll give him some relief innings before 9/27 to keep him tuned up.

3) Does Gonsolin pitch on 9/26? If we’re adamant that he starts game 3, then I think he pitches on 9/26 to avoid a long layoff.

4) Who starts game 1, Buehler or Kershaw? Buehler’s battling blister problems and would only have 1 tuneup start. Kershaw’s been the ace all year.

5) If they decide Kershaw starts game 1, they could shuffle the rotation using the off day on 9/21. Let Kershaw start on the undecided day (9/24). This gives him 5 days of rest before game 1 on 9/30.

Then, if they want Buehler starting game 2, they can slot him into the 9/25 game and he’ll also have 5 full days of rest. Gonsolin pitching on 9/26 would also have 5 full rest days before game 3.

6) Yup, my prediction is, whoever starts on 9/24; 9/25; and 9/26 are our games 1, 2, and 3 pitchers.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:

It’s a quite common opinion. I’ve heard that parents of high schoolers push their kids to get it. I heard that it makes your arm stronger as well. I think Buehler came back throwing harder after the surgery.

Quote:
UCL reconstruction — also called Tommy John surgery, after the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher who was first to have it in 1974 — is quite successful, says Dr. Schickendantz. But interest in the procedure has soared since ball players began claiming that Tommy John surgery improved their throwing.

“The surgery may help you throw better than you did with a damaged UCL, but it isn’t a performance enhancement,” he says. “Tommy John surgery is not an elective surgery for ball players trying to improve their ability. It should be performed only when necessary.”

I didn't realize it was a common opinion, it just strikes me as crazy to elect for an unnecessary surgery. The guy was a lefty, so weird opinions go with the turf.

In terms of throwing better, it might help if you lost flexibility. One of the key stress points is the UCL, quite a bit of power gets absorbed during that last fling in your motion. I think breaking stuff might make it worse as you're stressing the ligament with a degree of motion that perhaps your body wasn't designed to take. But your UCL isn't going to help you throw better, not unless you completely tore it or are experiencing pain. I'm not a physician, but that part doesn't make sense as it's just a ligament.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I didn't realize it was a common opinion, it just strikes me as crazy to elect for an unnecessary surgery. The guy was a lefty, so weird opinions go with the turf.

In terms of throwing better, it might help if you lost flexibility. One of the key stress points is the UCL, quite a bit of power gets absorbed during that last fling in your motion. I think breaking stuff might make it worse as you're stressing the ligament with a degree of motion that perhaps your body wasn't designed to take. But your UCL isn't going to help you throw better, not unless you completely tore it or are experiencing pain. I'm not a physician, but that part doesn't make sense as it's just a ligament.

Yup.

I think the thinking is that it’s easier to heal when you get it younger. But it’s mainly the belief that it gives you a performance edge.

I saw a story where parents are actually pushing/pressuring doctors to prescribe TJS for their kids.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

We really thought Walker was gonna be our playoff ace this year and now there’s a real possibility that he doesn’t even play much, if at all.

I’m glad we have some other solid pieces + Mookie to lead the offense and be the leader of the team. It’s gonna take everyone stepping up if we’re gonna do this without the Buehler we had the last 2 postseasons.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
We really thought Walker was gonna be our playoff ace this year and now there’s a real possibility that he doesn’t even play much, if at all.

I’m glad we have some other solid pieces + Mookie to lead the offense and be the leader of the team. It’s gonna take everyone stepping up if we’re gonna do this without the Buehler we had the last 2 postseasons.

Yeah it's not been the best year for him.

But Gonsolin and May have stepped up so I think they can be a force in the postseason.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Damn.

Poor dude.

Quote:

Quote:

IIRC, that is basically what happened with Walker. Found out he was pitching at Vandy with a partially torn UCL, got it repaired, and came out throwing his fastball harder and with more life because his ligament was finally healthy.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Yeah it's not been the best year for him.

But Gonsolin and May have stepped up so I think they can be a force in the postseason.

Agreed, altho the lack of an out pitch from May and his OPS on the third time through/after 50+ pitches is concerning. But pitching with postseason fire, maybe he is like Buehler, where he is simply untouchable with that heater. I expect Gonso to kill.

And if Buehler can come back without a blister, I expect he'll be fine. He pitches different in the postseason because his mental approach is so different. If he is locked in, I expect results. . . . and who knows. Maybe Walker can't start. But if we could move him to the bullpen . . .
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

Walker to start and then May to take over around the 6th? I feel like after Washington’s unorthodox rotation last year that other teams are going to go that route too. If we get creative with out starters and use our BP in the right spots we could make it work. That’s having a of faith in Doc the bullpen manager though lol
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Walker to start and then May to take over around the 6th? I feel like after Washington’s unorthodox rotation last year that other teams are going to go that route too. If we get creative with out starters and use our BP in the right spots we could make it work. That’s having a of faith in Doc the bullpen manager though lol

This is what scares me the most, sadly
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Caleb Ferguson, who tore his UCL on Tuesday in San Diego, is expected to have Tommy John surgery some time next week.

Quote:
Zach McKinstry is the latest Dodgers 2016 draftee to reach the majors

The 33rd-round pick made his major league debut Wednesday in San Diego

Zach McKinstry struck out in his only plate appearance on Wednesday, pinch hitting for Justin Turner in the ninth inning against the Padres. But McKinstry will still cherish the memory of making his major league debut.

Earlier in the game, Dustin May pitched 5⅓ innings of bulk relief in his first start after getting hit by a line drive on his left foot. May, the Dodgers’ Opening Day starter this season, lowered his ERA to 2.68.

Catcher Will Smith had two hits and drove in three runs in Wednesday’s win, and second baseman Gavin Lux walked.

That quartet of Dodgers were all drafted in 2016, which could shape up to be one of the team’s most productive drafts ever. McKinstry is the latest to make the majors, and did so as a 33rd-round pick.

Tony Gonsolin, who pitched seven strong innings in Tuesday’s win, was drafted by the Dodgers in the ninth round in 2016. Mitch White, who made his major league debut with an inning in relief on August 28, was drafted in the second round that year, and might be called up to start Friday for the Dodgers at Coors Field, though manager Dave Roberts wouldn’t commit just yet on Wednesday.

“It’s going to be a bullpen day,” Roberts said via conference call. “I just don’t know who’s going to start yet.”

McKinstry is the ninth player drafted by the Dodgers in 2016 to play in the majors, including Devin Smeltzer (fifth round), Andre Scrubb (eighth), and Dean Kremer (14th), who were traded away but have pitched in the majors this year for the Twins, Astros, and Orioles, respectively.

Nine drafted and signed players to reach the majors is the most by the team since 2003, when Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, and A.J. Ellis were among the nine drafted Dodgers who made it to the big leagues.

The 2016 pipeline might not be through, either. Outfielders a D.J. Peters (fourth round) and Luke Raley (seventh) are on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster, and outfielder Cody Thomas (13th round) is in the 60-player pool.

Quote:
Devin Smeltzer

On July 31, 2018, the Dodgers traded Smeltzer to the Minnesota Twins, along with Logan Forsythe and Luke Raley, for Brian Dozier.

Quote:
Andre Scrubb

On July 25, 2019, Scrubb was traded to the Houston Astros in exchange for Tyler White.

Quote:
Dean Kremer

The Los Angeles Dodgers acquired Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in a trade for five prospects: outfielder Yusniel Diaz, right-hander Dean Kremer, third baseman Rylan Bannon, righty Zach Pop and third baseman Breyvic Valera.

Orioles Top 30 (2020 rankings)

8) Yusniel Diaz
10) Dean Kremer
26) Rylan Bannon

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeah starting to look like our offense is being carried by the same players every game:

Betts
Seager
Turner
Smith
Pollock

It’s looking like this is how it’ll be for these playoffs.

I don’t have much hope that our lefties can figure it out during the playoffs:

Pederson
Muncy
Bellinger
Lux

This is going to be a role reversal for us because for years, we’d absolutely mash right handers due to our powerful left handed heavy lineup. And because of that, we’d struggle against left handers. To fix that problem, we went out and got the right handed bats of Pollock and Betts.

Now, going into these playoffs, it’s our right handed bats that are doing well (Turner, Betts, Pollock, Smith) and it’s out left handed bats that are struggling (Pederson, Rios, Lux, Bellinger, Muncy).

I think Roberts might have to scrap his affinity for our left handed bats and play our right handed bats everyday in the playoffs.

Luckily for us, Betts, Turner n Smith are everyday players. I guess the only decisions left are:

Pederson vs Pollock
Lux vs Kike/Taylor
Muncy vs Taylor

It looks like Muncy might be an everyday player in the playoffs.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Taylor's been killing it too. And after warming up, Belli went into a bit of a cold spell . . . but i'd say he's busting out after the last three games. When Belli starts getting slap singles into the gap and into oppo field, plus drawing walks, it means he's turning it around. I think he'll probably get into another warm spell over these final few games. Hopefully this time he carries it into the playoffs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Taylor's been killing it too. And after warming up, Belli went into a bit of a cold spell . . . but i'd say he's busting out after the last three games. When Belli starts getting slap singles into the gap and into oppo field, plus drawing walks, it means he's turning it around. I think he'll probably get into another warm spell over these final few games. Hopefully this time he carries it into the playoffs.

I heard the other day where Bellinger is getting killed on the up and in pitches.

I think he’s hitting 0.75 this year vs .300+ last year. So it’s more than just getting hot. There’s a hole in his swing and he’s being attacked at the same location by every pitcher.

I don’t know how he fixes that in 9 games but he’s going to be facing the best pitchers in the playoffs.

I think they mentioned that he made an adjustment by backing off the plate to handle that inside pitch.

I don’t know if that’s going to fix it. We’ll see. If he can’t fix this issue, he’s going to get pounded in the same exact spot throughout the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 44 of 300
Jump to: