THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2439, 2440, 2441 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
At the latest Trump hate rally in Michigan they played “Fortunate Son” as Trump got off the plane. The meaning of the song totally lost on everyone in attendance as a pampered, silver-spoon, draft dodger walked down the steps towards them.

Haha, you've gotta be kidding. They played it about the most fortunate son in existence. It reminds me of the Reagan crew using "Born In The USA" as some kind of patriotic rally cry when the song was about what the GOP had essentially done to "Middle America" (today called "Murica"). The Boss was naturally aghast at his song being used at Reagan events so he said cease and desist.

Lyric that came into my mind as I was reading and seeing pix at NYT about the West Coast fires from "Gimme Shelter" (Stones w/ Merry Clayton). Marty's fave. Our blue states are fit to burn without help according to the GOP because we don't luv our Trumpy.

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'...our very street today.
Burns like a red coat carpet...mad bull lost your way.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Conspiracy theory believers probably have IQ's and ages that are within single digits of each other.

It's often not the case. It's often a paranoid predisposition coupled with hyperactive pattern recognition, coupled with the ability to retrofit a rationalization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Conspiracy theory believers probably have IQ's and ages that are within single digits of each other.

It's often not the case. It's often a paranoid predisposition coupled with hyperactive pattern recognition, coupled with the ability to retrofit a rationalization.

I like your explanation.

I was trying to be funny with my statement, but I might have missed.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

Have to hope that this is just a drop in the bucket of such people:

‘Not-yet convicted felon’: 10 ex-Trump voters on why we can’t survive 4 more years of him (VIDEOS)

‘Silver spooned, draft dodger’

I owe everyone an apology . . . I owe the entire world an apology

“I wasn’t proud of it then. I’m not proud of it now,”

“My billboard sign would read 'Trump, you’re fired…by vote.'"

" . . . our Constitution starts off by saying ‘we the people’ not, ‘I the president’… "

“He’s a bully and both a physical and a moral coward."

" . . . the behavior of dictators and despots, not US presidents,”

“I know I have to vote against him. And I have to vote for somebody who will actually make an effort to unite the country, not further divide us,”

“In Donald Trump’s eyes, I may just be a loser, a sucker, human scum, but I will do everything I can to ensure that in November he becomes what he most fears and despises: a humiliated loser,”
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

[quote="trmiv"]NYT/Sienna college poll out today. First time Nevada and NH have been polled in awhile. Surprised how close they are. Also quite a drop for Biden in Wisconsin in this poll was Biden +11 in June

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/us/politics/biden-trump-poll-wisconsin-minnesota.html

Nevada
Biden 46
Trump 42

NH
Biden 45
Trump 42

Wisconsin
Biden 48
Trump 43

Most infuriating parts of that article though are stuff like this

Quote:
Chris Rutherford, 51, of Minneapolis, is leaning back in Mr. Trump’s direction as a result of recent unrest. A Republican who said he was dismayed by Mr. Trump’s “constant lying,” Mr. Rutherford said he had been deeply troubled by the damage to his community inflicted first by the coronavirus pandemic and then by episodes of vandalism and rioting.

“Covid is wiping out these businesses and this was the nail in the coffin,” Mr. Rutherford said, stressing, “We cannot have these riots.”

Mr. Rutherford said that while he slightly favored Mr. Trump, he might still support Mr. Biden if he did more to warn of repercussions for people who “grotesquely violate the law.”

“He says, ‘I condemn,’ but he doesn’t ever say what he’s going to do,” Mr. Rutherford said, adding that if Mr. Biden went further it would be “the straw that would tip me over to him.”

A mythical “undecided.” Tired of Trump’s lying but somehow HE’S the one to stop violence that is already happening under this watch. Just say you’re voting Trump dude and stop saying you’re undecided. Don’t trust Trump 2016 voters or “concerned” republicans to do the right thing.

Also this

Quote:
And there are signs that Mr. Trump’s barrage against Mr. Biden on the issue of policing, while inaccurate, has been effective: 44 percent of those surveyed in the four states said he supported defunding the police while only 39 percent said he was not in favor of doing so, which the former vice president has said repeatedly.

Ridiculous people still believe this after Biden has repeatedly said he doesn’t support “defunding” the police.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I actually appreciated unleashell’s candor, because a huge portion of the American electorate is that simplistic in their calculations (How does this affect some basic things in my world), and uninterested in the interconnection to other people and issues. And often, ironically, those other issues come back to harm theirs.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Appeals court enforced the disenfranchisement of thousands of Florida felons who served their time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-felon-voting/2020/09/11/9a6b5d3a-f45e-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html?tidr=a_breakingnews

Meanwhile Florida has absolutely no system in place for these people to find out what they owe and pay it. They shouldn’t have to pay anything to get their right to vote back, but even if you agree with this ruling shouldn’t there be a way for them to actually know what they owe and pay it back? Don’t answer that republicans, I already know your answer. “Working as designed”

What a terrible precedent and the language in the majority decision is condescending and ugly.

What really pisses me off is we passed this Amendment overwhelmingly in 2018. It passed 64.55% to 35.45%, a much greater margin than the idiot DeSantis won by. It was a broadly popular amendment across the political spectrum here. Then the republicans in the legislature decided that it could ruin republicans election chances and said “(bleep) what the people wanted” and passed a law requiring they pay the fines.

I followed that vote closely and was excited to see how decisively it passed. It's a pattern: we've seen GOP governors block, (bleep), or gut popular referendums on ACA expansion, limiting right to work laws, and now voter enfranchisement initiatives.

I guess people who vote for more liberal legislation while also voting a GOP ticket either don't understand what Republican leadership will do or they don't care. It's odd cognitive dissonance to me.

All but one of the judges in this decision were appointed by Trump. The sixth was appointed by Bush but is also in the Trump Supreme Court list. For anyone who for some reason thinks the 2016 election didn’t matter and that 2020 doesn’t matter, here is a great example of why they 100% matter. It will take decades to remove the stink of judges that Trump appointed. I’ll never forgive Trump/Stein/Johnson/stay-at-home progressives for that (bleep) in 2016.

Last edited by trmiv on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

538 gives Biden a 75% chance of winning today. That's the highest I have seen it. Election day cannot get here fast enough...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
538 gives Biden a 75% chance of winning today. That's the highest I have seen it. Election day cannot get here fast enough...

I lost some respect for 538 projections after their NBA projections this playoffs. But I get it. They use different info for NBA vs politics.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

This sums it up really well:

Wil Wheaton

Another one from my Tumblr ask thing.

Q: Can you please not bash on third party voters? Green party voters could have voted for Democrat nominees. It's not like green policy positions are hard to figure out! And there is absolute urgency to enact Green party positions. If a Democrat party nominee didn't get their votes, it's *the Democrats fault.* Democrat campaigns need to run campaigns that show support to their progressive allies through policies, not knee jerk reactions and shaming.

A: So first of all, it’s “Democratic”, not “Democrat”. “Democrat” is framing pushed by right-wing authoritarians who hope to create the impression that Democrats are not “democratic”. It’s a deliberate slur, and a dogwhistle to other right wing authoritarians.

I don’t know if you’re using that phrasing deliberately, or if you just don’t know. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and respond to the substance of your comment.

I don’t disagree with you that Green Party positions, particularly as they address Climate Change, are vital. That’s why I work to elect candidates who believe in and are working to fight Climate Change. Where I am a realist is in American electoral politics, where I’ve lived my entire life and voted for 30 years. I know that Greens will NEVER be elected to the presidency in this country. Same for the execrable Libertarians. That’s the reality of the American electoral system.

At this point, and in any general election, really, the choice is very clearly between two people. One of them will be president, and that’s how it is. You may not like it, but you have a choice to make: are you going to be responsible and vote for the candidate who is *closest* to your positions? Or are you going to have a tantrum and support the candidate who we *know* will fight to undo everything you care about, just so you can feel smug and superior? I mean, grow the (bleep) up. Voting isn’t dating. Voting is taking the bus that gets you closest to your destination.

This election is the most consequential in my lifetime, and likely the most consequential election in American history. If Trump and the Republicans can cheat and steal this election, it is the end of American Democracy.
I respect and admire your commitment to climate change policy. I promise you that Biden/Harris will be more concerned about climate change policy than Trump/Pence/Exxon will be. If you’re going to throw a tantrum and refuse to vote for Biden and Democrats because they aren’t perfect enough for you, you are giving a giant (bleep) you to the planet, the climate, and vulnerable people all over the country.

I get that you want to change the party and move us to the Left. I want to do that, too. Electing young, progressive, passionate people like AOC is going to do that far more effectively than voting for someone who gives you the fan fiction you crave, without any chance of actually holding office.
We moved Biden to the Left because we supported and worked with Bernie and Senator Warren, not by threatening to hold our breaths until he took our threats to vote for someone who he’s never heard of and doesn’t care about seriously.

Anyone who identifies as progressive and is still supporting and planning to vote for anyone other than Biden is someone I don’t take seriously, or respect at all. The future of our country and planet is at stake, and at this point the choice is Biden, or Trump. Period. Full stop. You may not like it, which is absolutely your fundamental right, but that doesn’t change the facts or reality of the situation.

Vote Biden/Harris like your life depends on it, because it does.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

This is really scary.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-stone-martial-law-donald-trump-election_n_5f5d3e28c5b62874bc1dd6d2

Quote:
Long-time Donald Trump confidant, and convicted felon, Roger Stone said that the president should declare “martial law” to seize power if he loses what Stone characterized as an already corrupt election.

The results will only be legitimate if the “real winner” — Trump — takes office, regardless of what the votes say, Stone declared. A loss would apparently be justification for Trump to use force to take over the nation.

Quote:
To safeguard Trump’s position, Stone called for federal authorities to seize ballots in Nevada, for FBI agents to physically block certain voters from casting their ballots, and for Trump to use his powers for widespread arrests to solidify his power, Media Matters first reported.

Under martial law and the Insurrection Act, Trump will have “the authority” to arrest Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Apple CEO Tim Cook, “the Clintons” and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity,” Stone said. He also called for the immediate arrest of former defense secretary James Mattis for “sedition,” apparently because he feared Trump was unfit for office, according to Washington Post journalist’s to Bob Woodward’s upcoming book, “Rage.”

In addition, Stone warned, journalist also risk arrest. “If the Daily Beast is involved in provably seditious ... acts” in a new Trump future, their “entire staff can be taken into custody and their office can be shut down.” “They want to play war, this is war,” he added.

Quote:
While such off-the-rail suggestions could easily be shrugged off from most, Stone is a high-profile friend of the president and has his ear, critics fear. Harvard law professor and Constitutional expert Laurence Tribe warned that Stone’s “advocacy of totalitarian takeover by Trump has to be taken seriously.”

Former Nixon White House counsel John Dean blasted Stone for calling on Trump to “declare himself America’s dictator” — voicing what “many Republicans crave.”

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
This is really scary.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-stone-martial-law-donald-trump-election_n_5f5d3e28c5b62874bc1dd6d2

Quote:
Long-time Donald Trump confidant, and convicted felon, Roger Stone said that the president should declare “martial law” to seize power if he loses what Stone characterized as an already corrupt election.

The results will only be legitimate if the “real winner” — Trump — takes office, regardless of what the votes say, Stone declared. A loss would apparently be justification for Trump to use force to take over the nation.

Quote:
To safeguard Trump’s position, Stone called for federal authorities to seize ballots in Nevada, for FBI agents to physically block certain voters from casting their ballots, and for Trump to use his powers for widespread arrests to solidify his power, Media Matters first reported.

Under martial law and the Insurrection Act, Trump will have “the authority” to arrest Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Apple CEO Tim Cook, “the Clintons” and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity,” Stone said. He also called for the immediate arrest of former defense secretary James Mattis for “sedition,” apparently because he feared Trump was unfit for office, according to Washington Post journalist’s to Bob Woodward’s upcoming book, “Rage.”

In addition, Stone warned, journalist also risk arrest. “If the Daily Beast is involved in provably seditious ... acts” in a new Trump future, their “entire staff can be taken into custody and their office can be shut down.” “They want to play war, this is war,” he added.

Quote:
While such off-the-rail suggestions could easily be shrugged off from most, Stone is a high-profile friend of the president and has his ear, critics fear. Harvard law professor and Constitutional expert Laurence Tribe warned that Stone’s “advocacy of totalitarian takeover by Trump has to be taken seriously.”

Former Nixon White House counsel John Dean blasted Stone for calling on Trump to “declare himself America’s dictator” — voicing what “many Republicans crave.”

The fascism continues to rise. Trump isn't running against Biden so much as he's running against free and fair elections.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I really appreciate how NBA players knelt for the national anthem but stood for the 9/11 tribute.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

Bloomberg will spend $100 million(!) to help Biden in Florida, emphasizing early voting.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

This is how Trump is turning Democracy into Autocracy in real time before our eyes. This is also the opposite of "drain the swamp."

Quote:
Ruth Ben-Ghiat @ruthbenghiat (historian, expert on authoritarians and fascism)

We are living through a process of authoritarian state capture. Over time govt becomes a tool of the leader’s causes and needs (DOJ use for
@ejeancarroll case is a good ex).

Quote:
Daniel Goldman @danielsgoldman

In the past few months, as the election approaches, Trump has used the following agencies for partisan advantage:

1) DOJ (Durham, Antifa)
2) DHS (changed intelligence for political reasons)
3) ODNI (refuse to brief Congress on election interference)
4) HHS (water down science)

Quote:
Additional replies in response to above:

CDC numbers were doctored by Trump people before release to the public

DOJ with E Jean Carroll & Mike Flynn as well

Treasury directing bailout money to Trump allies & donors

Quote:
5) Post Office to prevent people voting safely.
6) The Census Bureau to limit the count.

State Dept. Pressuring diplomats and foreign partners to announce things that aren’t ready (see the F35 issue re UAE-Israel), participate in goofy stunts (Vucic in the tiny desk?) to boost reelection

Plus of course all the other corruption at State, strangling IGs to kill probes into Woody Johnson, Susan Pompeo, and the Saudis. Everything around the Ukraine extortion scheme for Biden ‘dirt’

The latter they are also doing with USTR, re China

Quote:
Diverting 9/11 survivors money

And this is just in the last TWO MONTHS!

Also Trump supports extra-judicial murders by the state:

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

Anyone who would even consider voting for Trump needs to seriously wake the (bleep) up. Unless you're uber rich, he's coming for you and your money next, and your health, civil rights and well being be damned.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Bloomberg will spend $100 million(!) to help Biden in Florida, emphasizing early voting.

That's awesome. Looks like he was waiting so he could make a strategic difference instead of just throwing more money into generic ads.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

That's awesome. Looks like he was waiting so he could make a strategic difference instead of just throwing more money into generic ads.

This is big because we report early voting results on election night. If Biden wins Florida it’s game over for Trump.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is how Trump is turning Democracy into Autocracy in real time before our eyes. This is also the opposite of "drain the swamp."

Quote:
Ruth Ben-Ghiat @ruthbenghiat (historian, expert on authoritarians and fascism)

We are living through a process of authoritarian state capture. Over time govt becomes a tool of the leader’s causes and needs (DOJ use for
@ejeancarroll case is a good ex).

Quote:
Daniel Goldman @danielsgoldman

In the past few months, as the election approaches, Trump has used the following agencies for partisan advantage:

1) DOJ (Durham, Antifa)
2) DHS (changed intelligence for political reasons)
3) ODNI (refuse to brief Congress on election interference)
4) HHS (water down science)

Quote:
Additional replies in response to above:

CDC numbers were doctored by Trump people before release to the public

DOJ with E Jean Carroll & Mike Flynn as well

Treasury directing bailout money to Trump allies & donors

Quote:
5) Post Office to prevent people voting safely.
6) The Census Bureau to limit the count.

State Dept. Pressuring diplomats and foreign partners to announce things that aren’t ready (see the F35 issue re UAE-Israel), participate in goofy stunts (Vucic in the tiny desk?) to boost reelection

Plus of course all the other corruption at State, strangling IGs to kill probes into Woody Johnson, Susan Pompeo, and the Saudis. Everything around the Ukraine extortion scheme for Biden ‘dirt’

The latter they are also doing with USTR, re China

Quote:
Diverting 9/11 survivors money

And this is just in the last TWO MONTHS!

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

Anyone who would even consider voting for Trump needs to seriously wake the (bleep) up. Unless you're uber rich, he's coming for you and your money next, and your health, civil rights and well being be damned.

It’s crazy to me how easily corruptible our government is. We’ve always been so sure about our system of government here, yet all it took was one con man to easily start corrupting the government to his whims. I shudder to think how bad it would be if an aspiring authoritarian that wasn’t a total moron got into office. Trump has enough people smarter than him pulling the strings to be dangerous, but they are so comic book villain bad that it’s obvious to most what’s going on. What happens when someone more intelligent and cunning gets in office that is better as hiding what they are doing?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

And now this:

L.A. COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPT.
2 DEPUTIES AMBUSHED AND SHOT

President Trump has responded, and he thinks this situation should be resolved by a fast-trial death penalty

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Level 1:
If they die, fast trial death penalty for the killer. Only way to stop this!

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

It’s crazy to me how easily corruptible our government is. We’ve always been so sure about our system of government here, yet all it took was one con man to easily start corrupting the government to his whims. I shudder to think how bad it would be if an aspiring authoritarian that wasn’t a total moron got into office. Trump has enough people smarter than him pulling the strings to be dangerous, but they are so comic book villain bad that it’s obvious to most what’s going on. What happens when someone more intelligent and cunning gets in office that is better as hiding what they are doing?

He wouldn't have been able to pull off much of this without corrupt Mitch McConnell, corrupt Bill Barr and and the entire GOP being complicit. Many administration heads needs to be approved by the Senate but Trump has left "acting" heads in place with no repercussions. Instead of career government officials we have an administration full of strictly political cronies and puppets. I believe there are statutes that say "actings" can only occupy post for 6 months (or some other set time). But with no one to enforce it (I presume the Senate would have to), it becomes another statute that Trump simply ignores.

(I forgot to include his crony at the IRS who won't release his taxes to Congress even with a congressional statute.)

I hope the next Congress enshrines many of these issues into laws, that if violated, turn into automatic prosecutions and/or other consequences like jail time or fines.

And the biggest fix needs to be with the Attorney General's office and functionally separating it from the Executive Branch under some kind of penalty system. I guess Congress has the power to impeach Barr, but with the GOP controlling the Senate, we're back to the same corrupt place.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Trump lies claiming that Joe Biden, the guy that secured the votes for the ACA, would destroy pre-existing condition protections. There are people dumb enough to believe this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/politics/fact-check-trump-biden-pre-existing-conditions-obamacare/index.html
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: They voted for him and now regret it. Why White women are turning away from Trump.

Quote:
From her home in the Philadelphia suburbs, Nin Bell works for an answering service, taking calls from people trying to reach more than 10,000 funeral homes and end-of-life companies. As the coronavirus began to sweep the country earlier this year, the number of calls related to new deaths tripled.

Caller after caller told her about losing a loved one to covid-19, as well as to suicides and drug overdoses. They provided an overwhelmingly painful window into just how badly the country was suffering.

And then Bell would hear President Trump — whom she voted for in 2016, helping him win Pennsylvania — downplay the severity of the pandemic.

“He was telling everybody it wasn’t a big deal — but I knew it was a big deal because of my job. I’m like: ‘Why am I taking 60 coronavirus deaths in one day, on one shift, when I used to only take 20 death calls a day?’
” said Bell, 47, the mother of two teenage boys who lives in Parkside, about 20 miles southwest of Philadelphia. “He made a lot of mistakes. He just runs his mouth. . . . He’s the president, he can’t get away with that, especially when people’s lives are in danger.”

Bell “definitely, 100 percent” plans to vote for Joe Biden for president — and she has been urging others to do the same.

She’s part of a group of White women, especially those who are middle- or working-class, who didn’t vote for Hillary Clinton in the last election but are determined to vote for Biden this year.

Quote:
Although Clinton won the majority of votes from women in 2016, she lost to Trump among White women. Since then, however, polls have shown Trump weakening among those voters.

Even slight changes in November among White women could play a deciding role in several states that Trump won in 2016 by a razor-thin margin, especially Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

In each of those states in 2018, a burst of enthusiasm and participation from White women helped Democratic candidates win midterm elections. Those gains were driven mostly by college-educated women, but since then women of all backgrounds have been moving in Biden’s direction.

In Pennsylvania — where more than 6 million ballots were cast in 2016 and Trump won by roughly 44,000 votes — White women said in interviews that they’re fed up with what they consider Trump’s recklessness, divisiveness and lack of empathy for the many Americans they know who are struggling. Many said they’ve been disappointed with Trump’s lack of leadership since early in his presidency, but that his mishandling of the coronavirus crisis and encouragement of violence amid protests against racism have either cemented their decision to vote for Biden or have made them even more fiercely supportive of the Democratic candidate. Several said that they know they’re the prime target of the Trump campaign’s alarmist messages, but think the country will be more peaceful and stable with Biden in charge.

Quote:
Bell, who has a community college degree and has worked for the answering service for a decade, had expected Clinton to easily win and realized her vote for Trump was a mistake soon after he was elected. A longtime Democrat who voted twice for Obama, she had seen Trump as a successful, powerful and charismatic businessman who would bring a different approach to the White House. She knew him from his reality TV show, “The Apprentice,” and didn’t learn much more before voting.

She’s now horrified by her choice.

“It’s my stupidity, my ignorance,” she said of her 2016 vote. “It’s embarrassing. I find myself still apologizing to people. . . . I was so disappointed that I was part of that Trump movement.”
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

Has the Woodward book been discussed on here, because that seems like the outrage of outrages? I can't see what would eclipse this in the news for a week.

He knew
Trump recordings in there.

Democrats need to hammer on this one every day. It can't just get lost in the daily outrages, real and harmful that they are. This one is different and unequivocally unforgiveable.

I am concerned that the potential nonvoter or independent or whatever not already beholden to Trump is going to just feel inundated by less impactful stuff if a big number of different political attacks are kitchen sink'd at him, and forget this one. It needn't be. Pick a top 3, know you're top 1, even though there could be a top 150, and pound the message. Covid is the top message. 194k dead here. I don't round up to 200k, because that would be 6,000 more lives, two times the number of those who immediately died from the 9/11 attacks.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

This is big because we report early voting results on election night. If Biden wins Florida it’s game over for Trump.

In addition that, Florida is big and expensive. In the press release, Bloomberg's people essentially say that he will spend that money there so that Biden and Democrats can spend it on less expensive states like Pennsylvania.

Florida being declared a win on election night would save us a lot of time and headaches down the line. And if Trump complains about Florida, we then can play the tape of him saying that there's no voter fraud in Florida.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject:

GOP Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/gopchairwoman/status/1305220707085889536

Quote:
Joe Biden can’t run from his disastrous record responding to the coronavirus.

The truth hurts, Joe!

Wut? Are these people for real? This is how stupid the GOP thinks you are Trump voters. Are they right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2439, 2440, 2441 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2440 of 3663
Jump to: