🎾 Official US Open Thread🎾
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Osaka vs. Serena, rematch of the US Open finals where Osaka got booed as the winner?

Not so fast. Nothing is easy for Serena now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Osaka vs. Serena, rematch of the US Open finals where Osaka got booed as the winner?

Not so fast. Nothing is easy for Serena now.

Serena needs to lose some weight. She looks chubby.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Serena in major trouble down 1-4 in the third set. And she took a medical timeout for a bothersome ankle injury.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Victoria was prancing Serena was slow walking. You could see Azarenka had the energy. It looked like Serena just ran out of gas.

Naomi's gonna have her hands full come Saturday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Victoria was prancing Serena was slow walking. You could see Azarenka had the energy. It looked like Serena just ran out of gas.

She'll still be the clear favorite. TBH, I pegged the first semifinal as the actual final.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

She'll still be the clear favorite. TBH, I pegged the first semifinal as the actual final.

Naomi has sneaky power. Her ground strokes are solid, has good foot speed. I see a weakness in her temperament. Seems to get down on herself.

If Victoria plays Naomi the way she played Serena I give her a real chance.

She seems to be pumped and ready. Her focus is commendable. When she was behind she closed her eyes and seemed to meditate. She came off the bench skipping and ready. She took it to Serena. Serena has no excuse, she was outplayed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, Azarenka has a shot. Osaka is only a -160 favorite, which isn't too prohibitive.

On the men's side, Zverev looked dead in the water today against Carreno Busta, down 2 sets to none and looked dispirited. But he turned it around and came all the way back to win. And Thiem just beat Medvedev, surprisingly in straight sets. After an easy 6-2 opening set win, Thiem was down a break in both the second and third sets but broke back, and won both tiebreaks in each set.

Thiem will be a strong favorite over Zverev, especially with the latter coming off a 5-setter today.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Azarenka could take it. She's got plenty of finals experience winning and losing, and her mental toughness is top notch. Like her vocal pitch unfortunately. She looks pretty close to fully back. If she's fully back, she could be #1.
I like Osaka to win though if she keeps her spirits up.

Thiem, experienced and bulldog strong, is the favorite. But Zverev is going to have a new confidence, even though he might be physically tired, from this big comeback in a big match. He has a shot, especially the way he's been serving. He should serve out wide like he does and actually come in for the putaways. Thiem is going to hit heavy, and angle himself sometimes. His shots are going to be pounding on Zverev's defense. Zverev better not sleep for two sets like he seems to do. Both of these guys will have Slams at the end of their career.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject:

IDDQD https://i.imgur.com/5nBBpYa.png

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject:

Indeed, Thiem is a big -380 favorite in the final. Meanwhile, Osaka is now -195.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

Osaka will destroy Azarenka. Really disappointed that Serena seems to be stuck on 23. She may never break the record. Thiem will beat Zverev, who seems to consistently choke in the big moments.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Osaka will destroy Azarenka. Really disappointed that Serena seems to be stuck on 23. She may never break the record. Thiem will beat Zverev, who seems to consistently choke in the big moments.
Looks that way, doesn't it. Seven matches - doesn't seem like she can do it. And a bunch of top players didn't even come. Doesn't move as well, slower reaction to shot, and confidence not there. Serve is still there at least.

Zverev didn't choke the last match and he's in his first final so getting better with his nerves. He does have to prove it though, and even if he does, Thiem might be just better right now. I think they had a good match maybe this year? at the Australian Open, the only other Slam. Did Zverev choke that one? I don't remember.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, Azarenka's steady hitting is continuing, and Naomi looks like Serena out there, basically just spraying balls everywhere. This is shocking. That was a routine first set win for Vika.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Yep. She has the composer of one who's sure. Naomi's trying to find her game.

The second set has Noami exuding a little more confidence.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

First really poor game from Vika, and Osaka is now up a break at 4-3 in the 2nd.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Looks that way, doesn't it. Seven matches - doesn't seem like she can do it. And a bunch of top players didn't even come. Doesn't move as well, slower reaction to shot, and confidence not there. Serve is still there at least.

Zverev didn't choke the last match and he's in his first final so getting better with his nerves. He does have to prove it though, and even if he does, Thiem might be just better right now. I think they had a good match maybe this year? at the Australian Open, the only other Slam. Did Zverev choke that one? I don't remember.

Yea, Serena is my favorite women's tennis player, and i am still rooting for her to win a couple more slams. Very surprised to see Osaka drop the first set. Looks like she will tie it up, and let's see what happens in the third.

In terms of Zverev vs. Thiem, Thiem has won 80% of their matches H2H including the most recent meeting at the Australian Open: https://www.atptour.com/en/players/atp-head-2-head/alexander-zverev-vs-dominic-thiem/z355/tb69 . Thiem has the look of a great tennis player whereas i see Zverev as a pretender. Zverev may eventually get a couple or even a few slams, but i think Thiem will win many (and will start to beat Nadal/Djoker/Fed/etc consistently).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Who's worst with grunts, screeching, what ever? Azerenka or Sharapova?

Going to 3!

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Osaka looked like she was about to go up 5-1 in the 3rd, couldn't break, and then gets broken after being up 40-15 on her own serve! Back on serve, 4-3 Osaka in the third. Wow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Vita's a fighter. She said she never gives up and she's proving it.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Osaka broke back. Serving the USOpen Championship

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Naomi did it. 2020 US Open champ.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Naomi Osaka just won her 3rd major.

Question: How many majors does it take to become a legend in women's tennis?

Is Venus Williams a legend? She has 7

Is Justine Henin a legend? She has 7 as well

Monica Seles has 9?

Martina Hingis and Sharapova have 5 apiece. Where's the cutoff? (I don't think Hingis and Sharapova qualify). I wonder how many more does Osaka need to be considered a legend in women's tennis.

There's no question about the top 7 legends:
1) Margaret Court (24)
2) Serena Williams (23)
3) Steffi Graf (22)
4) Helen Wills Moody (19)
5) Chris Evert (18)
6) Martina Navratilova (18)
7) Billy Jean King (12)

My opinion is the cutoff should be at Monica Seles at 9.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
focus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Yea, Serena is my favorite women's tennis player, and i am still rooting for her to win a couple more slams. Very surprised to see Osaka drop the first set. Looks like she will tie it up, and let's see what happens in the third.

In terms of Zverev vs. Thiem, Thiem has won 80% of their matches H2H including the most recent meeting at the Australian Open: https://www.atptour.com/en/players/atp-head-2-head/alexander-zverev-vs-dominic-thiem/z355/tb69 . Thiem has the look of a great tennis player whereas i see Zverev as a pretender. Zverev may eventually get a couple or even a few slams, but i think Thiem will win many (and will start to beat Nadal/Djoker/Fed/etc consistently).
Not surprised that Naomi dropped the first, she has lapses. She hadn't won a Slam for over a year, and was pretty meek at the Australian this year precovid where she was defending champ. But she fought through it, and in the third fought through her own nerves to get it. Naomi was the one dictating once she got rolling, but Azarenka never goes away, good on her. I hate listening to her play, but it looks like she'll be near the top. Along with Osaka and Andreescu, Azarenka is probably mentally tougher than the rest of the top 20. I don't really see a reason why Azarenka won't be in the hunt for Slams on hard courts.

I am not sure Thiem wins many. He's older, so he has nice window of experience and physical advantage over other guys, like Zverev, Medvedev, Rublev, Canadian young guns, American Nakashima, and probably some others I am forgetting. He might pick some up before those guys fully develop, like Federer did before Nadal and Djokovic got rolling(although Nadal was genius from the get go on clay). I can easily see Zverev being the best of these guys, for example, if his serve becomes dominant. It looks like careers can go to mid30s, so plenty of time for it all to shake out. Thiem outmuscles Zverev tomorrow I think, but if he doesn't, Zverev's confidence will take a permanent jump up a level.
Meanwhile, Nadal and Thiem, if he's not too tired, probably clean up at the French Open in a couple of weeks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Who's worst with grunts, screeching, what ever? Azerenka or Sharapova?

Going to 3!

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Naomi Osaka just won her 3rd major.

Question: How many majors does it take to become a legend in women's tennis?

Is Venus Williams a legend? She has 7

Is Justine Henin a legend? She has 7 as well

Monica Seles has 9?

Martina Hingis and Sharapova have 5 apiece. Where's the cutoff? (I don't think Hingis and Sharapova qualify). I wonder how many more does Osaka need to be considered a legend in women's tennis.

There's no question about the top 7 legends:
1) Margaret Court (24)
2) Serena Williams (23)
3) Steffi Graf (22)
4) Helen Wills Moody (19)
5) Chris Evert (18)
6) Martina Navratilova (18)
7) Billy Jean King (12)

My opinion is the cutoff should be at Monica Seles at 9.

I think you have to take everything in context. To me Venus is a legend. She and Serena changed the game, and if not for her sister she wins a bunch more (she lost 7 Slam finals to Serena). Seles is definitely a legend; she was wiping the floor with Graf at the time of her stabbing, and I think most in the game consider her as possibly the cleanest ball-striker ever. She's kind of seen as an all-time great whose career was essentially cut short or forever changed by a freak incident. I don't think Sharapova is a legend, despite the career Grand Slam, and I can't consider Hingis as one. Henin I'm going to say no, despite having the same # of Slams as Venus, and she did make 12 Slam finals, so I get it if someone wants to argue yes for her. Venus was in four more finals (not to mention winning 14 major doubles titles with Serena, and they never lost a final) and was much more important to the history of the game imo. Henin had a really nice run for a few years, though, so that's a close one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: