View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DeAndre Hopkins Agrees To Two-Year, $54.5M Extension With Cardinals

$27M per year for Hopkins?

It essentially becomes a 5 year, $94MM contract, I think. No-trade clause, also. Apparently Hopkins negotiated it himself with no agent.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Absolutely insane. How much of that contract is guaranteed?

Wide receiver is a horrendously overpaid position in the NFL, if you value them in terms of winning. I understand paying a QB bank, but a WR?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Absolutely insane. How much of that contract is guaranteed?

Wide receiver is a horrendously overpaid position in the NFL, if you value them in terms of winning. I understand paying a QB bank, but a WR?

Cardinals signed DeAndre Hopkins to a two-year, $54.5 million contract extension.

The deal includes $42.75M guaranteed at signing. The three years left on his current deal essentially morph into a five-year, $95 million contract with $18.8 million annually through 2024. The last year in his age-31 season is voidable, but that would force the Cardinals to pay up $39.5 million at some point upon releasing him. With no-trade and no-franchise tag clauses in place, the road has been paved for Hopkins to finish his career with Kyler Murray in Arizona.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Ouch. It begs the question: Who are the highest paid WRs, and how did their teams perform? Instead of looking at current salaries, let's take a look at what was on the books for the 2019 season:

1. Falcons WR Julio Jones: $22 million (7 wins, 9 losses)
2. Chargers WR Keenan Allen: $20 million (5 wins, 11 losses)
3. Cowboys WR Amari Cooper: $20 million (8 wins, 8 losses)
4. Saints WR Michael Thomas: $19.3 million (13 wins, 3 losses)
5. Bengals WR A.J. Green: $18.2 million (2 wins, 14 losses)
6. Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill: $18 million (12 wins, 4 losses)
6. Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million (6 wins, 10 losses)
8. Buccaneers WR Mike Evans: $16.5 million (7 wins, 9 losses)
9. Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million (5 wins, 10 losses, 1 tie)
10. Texans WR Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million (10 wins, 6 losses)
10. Vikings WR Adam Thielen: $16.2 million (10 wins, 6 losses)

I suppose you could point to the Chiefs, Saints, Texans or Vikings as successes, but that would be a mistake. In a random assortment of 11 teams, I would expect 5.5 winning teams. In other words, the effect of having a highly paid WR is meaningless in terms of wins.
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I want to elaborate on this, because I found this funny: Kaden Smith is essentially a Bear Pascoe clone. Both were drafted in the 6th round by the Niners and claimed by the Giants before their rookie seasons began. In play style, they are similar as well. Both are big guys (both 6'5", but Pascoe was a bit heavier) that can both block well that and catch well, but aren't overwhelmingly impressive in any particular aspect. The biggest difference I would say is that Kaden Smith is a fair bit more athletic than Pascoe and a more serious receiving threat.

I'm going to do my own writeup for the Giants sophomores this weekend. I'd also be genuinely interested in a "what are you expecting from your juniors? (3rd year players)" thread. For a lot of positions, the 3rd year is when you expect to see a big jump. I know that is the case for a good amount of Giants players from that 2018 draft- Will Hernandez and Lorenzo Carter especially.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/08/report-von-miller-injured-ankle-tendon-likely-ending-his-season/

Quote:
Report: Von Miller injured ankle tendon, likely ending his season

More details are emerging about Von Miller‘s lower leg injury, and none bringing good news for the Broncos pass rusher.

Miller injured a tendon in is ankle on the last play of practice, Adam Schefter of ESPN reprots.

Miller is expected to need surgery, which likely ends his season.

Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News reports that Miller first will seek a second opinion from sports orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert Anderson, whose practice is in Green Bay.

The Broncos remain uncertain about whether former first-round pick Bradley Chubb will be ready for Monday night’s opener against the Titans. Chubb tore his ACL in Week Four last season.

Chubb’s absence was one of the reasons Miller had only eight sacks last season, as it allowed teams to double Miller.

Miller has 106 sacks since the Broncos made him a first-round choice in 2011.

Miller’s backups are Malik Reed and Jeremiah Attaochu.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/08/report-von-miller-injured-ankle-tendon-likely-ending-his-season/

Quote:
Report: Von Miller injured ankle tendon, likely ending his season

More details are emerging about Von Miller‘s lower leg injury, and none bringing good news for the Broncos pass rusher.

Miller injured a tendon in is ankle on the last play of practice, Adam Schefter of ESPN reprots.

Miller is expected to need surgery, which likely ends his season.

Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News reports that Miller first will seek a second opinion from sports orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert Anderson, whose practice is in Green Bay.

The Broncos remain uncertain about whether former first-round pick Bradley Chubb will be ready for Monday night’s opener against the Titans. Chubb tore his ACL in Week Four last season.

Chubb’s absence was one of the reasons Miller had only eight sacks last season, as it allowed teams to double Miller.

Miller has 106 sacks since the Broncos made him a first-round choice in 2011.

Miller’s backups are Malik Reed and Jeremiah Attaochu.

Just an absolutely huge blow to Denver's defense. The line on the Monday night game has already moved from Denver -1 to Tennessee -2.5.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Ouch. It begs the question: Who are the highest paid WRs, and how did their teams perform? Instead of looking at current salaries, let's take a look at what was on the books for the 2019 season:

I suppose you could point to the Chiefs, Saints, Texans or Vikings as successes, but that would be a mistake. In a random assortment of 11 teams, I would expect 5.5 winning teams. In other words, the effect of having a highly paid WR is meaningless in terms of wins.

I think your analysis demonstrates a level of correlation, but does not demonstrate any causation. I am confident we could toss all kinds of positions on the board, and get the same mixed results. I think Stafford was the #1 QB last season in cap hit, and the Lions were 3-12-1. I know he missed a chunk of the season, but he was near the top of the list in 2018 also. The point is if you just walk through the positions with a similar analysis, it is mostly a mixed bag.

There are just so many paths via spending that lead to failure and success. Recently, the trend has been to find a young franchise QB, surround him with talent while he is on a rookie deal. In contrast you have the Patriots who have been paying Brady solid money for a long time and winning. The one thing that you can't do is pay players star level money that do not produce like a star. As long as you are paying players that produce, you have a chance.....but you are always going to have to find lower paid vets and young guys on rookie deals that produce at a high level to compliment your high paid players to have success in a hard cap league.

I saw Mike Evans is on your list, and the Bucs had a poor record in 2019....but I can assure you that Mike Evan is worth every single penny he is getting paid. After this season his partner in crime Godwin will need to be paid, and it is my understanding that the Bucs have every intention on adding Godwin to that Top 10 list of paid receivers to keep him. Is that a good or bad decision? It will depend on if they can nail a young QB and some offensive line, etc. via the draft or aging vets....but per reports their belief is you pay your special players, and Evans and Godwin are maybe to two most "special" offensive talents on the roster early in their prime years. As every team knows, you can't pay everyone...and almost all teams accept there are windows based on the cap situation where they can truly go for it, and windows where the odds are they likely are just trying to be competitive...and I do not think there is an exact science behind how to distribute the cap beyond to ensure the players you are paying the most are producing the most. I have seen similar statements how you should never pay real money for a RB...or have the highest paid RB, but are you really not going to pay Barkley, Elliot, or McCaffery? It just does not make sense to me to adopt a rule that would prevent you from paying "special" talents that move the needle. The reasons some teams on your list of receivers failed likely had little to do with what they were paying the receiver (if he was productive) and more related to how the rest of their cap was distributed.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

Rams, CB Jalen Ramsey agree to five-year, $105M contract, agent says

Quote:
The Los Angeles Rams and Jalen Ramsey have agreed to terms on a five-year, $105 million extension that is the largest contract ever for a cornerback, agent David Mulugheta told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Ramsey becomes the first defensive back in NFL history to sign a deal worth over $100 million, and his $71.2 million at signing is the largest guarantee to a defensive back.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Rams are just gonna dump all their money into 3 players and then go on to win 7 or 8 games a year for the next half decade. That Super Bowl season is looking more and more like a fluke.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Rams are just gonna dump all their money into 3 players and then go on to win 7 or 8 games a year for the next half decade. That Super Bowl season is looking more and more like a fluke.

Too many shiny new toys, it seems like. Yeah, they had no choice here but to lavishly pay him after all they gave up to acquire him. Kind of like Tunsil and the Texans last year. The player had all the leverage here.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Realistically the Rams are just reflective of how teams are in the NFL as a whole. Not too many teams are built like the Patriots where they go onto the conference championship game or Super Bowl every year.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I think your analysis demonstrates a level of correlation, but does not demonstrate any causation. I am confident we could toss all kinds of positions on the board, and get the same mixed results. I think Stafford was the #1 QB last season in cap hit, and the Lions were 3-12-1. I know he missed a chunk of the season, but he was near the top of the list in 2018 also. The point is if you just walk through the positions with a similar analysis, it is mostly a mixed bag.

There are just so many paths via spending that lead to failure and success. Recently, the trend has been to find a young franchise QB, surround him with talent while he is on a rookie deal. In contrast you have the Patriots who have been paying Brady solid money for a long time and winning. The one thing that you can't do is pay players star level money that do not produce like a star. As long as you are paying players that produce, you have a chance.....but you are always going to have to find lower paid vets and young guys on rookie deals that produce at a high level to compliment your high paid players to have success in a hard cap league.

I saw Mike Evans is on your list, and the Bucs had a poor record in 2019....but I can assure you that Mike Evan is worth every single penny he is getting paid. After this season his partner in crime Godwin will need to be paid, and it is my understanding that the Bucs have every intention on adding Godwin to that Top 10 list of paid receivers to keep him. Is that a good or bad decision? It will depend on if they can nail a young QB and some offensive line, etc. via the draft or aging vets....but per reports their belief is you pay your special players, and Evans and Godwin are maybe to two most "special" offensive talents on the roster early in their prime years. As every team knows, you can't pay everyone...and almost all teams accept there are windows based on the cap situation where they can truly go for it, and windows where the odds are they likely are just trying to be competitive...and I do not think there is an exact science behind how to distribute the cap beyond to ensure the players you are paying the most are producing the most. I have seen similar statements how you should never pay real money for a RB...or have the highest paid RB, but are you really not going to pay Barkley, Elliot, or McCaffery? It just does not make sense to me to adopt a rule that would prevent you from paying "special" talents that move the needle. The reasons some teams on your list of receivers failed likely had little to do with what they were paying the receiver (if he was productive) and more related to how the rest of their cap was distributed.

I disagree, the QB position has a far greater influence on any given team's record. Hence if you're going to pay bank for a position, it makes sense to shell out the money for a QB rather than waste it on a WR. Top paid QBs and records:

1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million (12 wins, 4 losses)
2. Texans QB Deshaun Watson: $39 million (10 wins, 6 losses)
2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million (11 wins, 5 losses)
3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million (out for season)
4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million (13 wins, 3 losses)
4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million (9 wins, 7 losses)
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million (10 wins, 6 losses)
7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million (9 wins, 7 losses)
8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million (8 wins, 8 losses)
10. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million (7 wins, 9 losses)
10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million (9 wins, 7 losses)

I'll exclude Big Ben for obvious reasons, he pretty much missed the entire season but given past results he was certainly worth the contract. Out of the 10 remain QBs, you'd expect 5 to have winning seasons if the contract didn't matter. That's not the case as 8 QBs had winning seasons, 1 had a .500 season and 1 had a losing season. That tells me that the position is categorically worth the cap hit. The WR position isn't worth the cap hit based on both the quickie study of the highest paid, and the ample anecdotal evidence of top WRs on rather bad or average teams.

That's why Bill O'Brien traded DeAndre Hopkins; he knew where the contract talks were heading. O'Brien comes from the Patriots system, which places a premium on certain positions but not on others. You never see Bill Belichick pursue overpaid WRs. He picked up Randy Moss for a song, and when it was time to pay Brandin Cooks, he traded him. WRs do not move the needle, so don't categorically overpay them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

^
Mahomes was on a rookie deal last year, though it's certainly expected that KC will be a winner for years to come. Let's see if they are able to fill in the margins on their roster, though, as we move forward. It certainly wasn't a problem for them this offseason.

So was Watson. (On a rookie deal.)

Wilson, yep, worth every penny.

Ben was out, as you noted.

Rodgers wasn't good last year and his coach essentially played a run-first, ball-control offense.

Goff wasn't good last year behind a crumbling O-line and appears to be a product of a system that has to work well for him to work well. In other words, he doesn't elevate anything.

Cousins, see how the Packers used Rodgers last year. Just a caretaker now.

Wentz can't seem to shake the injury bug, though last year wasn't really fair to him with all the insane skill position injuries.

Dak was certainly worth it last season, yes.

Matt Ryan has a crumbling team around him and he played hurt last year with the high ankle sprain, so I won't judge him too harshly.

And Tannehill wasn't making $29.5MM last season. Let's see what he does for an encore now that he has expectations.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

^Agreed.

Of the aforementioned, it is Goff who is overpaid. I think Tannehill is in that group as well, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as the season unfolds.

Goff still has to prove that he can read defenses and quickly process what is happening on the field in real-time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
^Agreed.

Of the aforementioned, it is Goff who is overpaid. I think Tannehill is in that group as well, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as the season unfolds.

Goff still has to prove that he can read defenses and quickly process what is happening on the field in real-time.

those are 2020 numbers....2019 numbers do not have Mahomes, Jackson, etc...some of the elite QB's on the list. I walked through about 5 positions...QB, RB, WR, LT, and CB or 2019....it is just a mixed bag of guys on the list and team wins. I understand having a strategy....and even best practices...just not hard and fast rules in team construction with a salary cap.

Btw, what numbers are you using? I was using the amount hitting the cap....it appears you are using their average number?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
That's why Bill O'Brien traded DeAndre Hopkins; he knew where the contract talks were heading. O'Brien comes from the Patriots system, which places a premium on certain positions but not on others. You never see Bill Belichick pursue overpaid WRs. He picked up Randy Moss for a song, and when it was time to pay Brandin Cooks, he traded him. WRs do not move the needle, so don't categorically overpay them.

Belichick had the greatest QB of all time during his prime years....let's see how those methods work without a Brady under center. I am not telling you they will not work....just that Brady was a massive x factor that likely makes the formula a little hard to duplicate.

Everyone agrees that if you have a young QB that is a legit franchise QB...you pay him. The problem is there are not 32 of those...there are not even 10 of those.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Too many shiny new toys, it seems like. Yeah, they had no choice here but to lavishly pay him after all they gave up to acquire him. Kind of like Tunsil and the Texans last year. The player had all the leverage here.

yes, they knew when they made that deal that they put themselves in a position to have to pay him....as I said previously, at least they are paying someone that is elite at the position and productive, which is far different than paying Gurley in recent years
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Belichick had the greatest QB of all time during his prime years....let's see how those methods work without a Brady under center. I am not telling you they will not work....just that Brady was a massive x factor that likely makes the formula a little hard to duplicate.

Everyone agrees that if you have a young QB that is a legit franchise QB...you pay him. The problem is there are not 32 of those...there are not even 10 of those.

That doesn't negate my point. Positions should have certain monetary weightings, and though they might vary a bit between systems, some positions are more likely to contribute to wi s than others. Clearly WRs aren't categorically drivers in terms of wins, hence top WRs shouldn't soak up an inordinate amount of the team salary cap.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That doesn't negate my point.

Wasn't your point that paying top dollar for a receiver is a poor practice? What is the cutoff line? Do you let Thomas walk if you are New Orleans? Evans, Hopkins, Hill....just let them walk or trade them for a crappy return like the Texans did with Hopkins? It just does not make sense to me.....but it is just my opinion.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

That doesn't negate my point. Positions should have certain monetary weightings, and though they might vary a bit between systems, some positions are more likely to contribute to wi s than others. Clearly WRs aren't categorically drivers in terms of wins, hence top WRs shouldn't soak up an inordinate amount of the team salary cap.

my bad, you added to your response....what position beside QB universally moves the needle? Like I said, everyone knows you pay an elite QB, but what is the other 2-4 positions?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

my bad, you added to your response....what position beside QB universally moves the needle? Like I said, everyone knows you pay an elite QB, but what is the other 2-4 positions?

The defensive backfield (CBs and FSs). Curiously, not EDGE players despite the prevailing belief that they exert an obviously strong influence on games. I suppose the rationale is that though EDGE players are very important, their contribution towards wins does not outweigh the amount of opportunity cost, in terms of salary cap space.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

The defensive backfield (CBs and FSs). Curiously, not EDGE players despite the prevailing belief that they exert an obviously strong influence on games. I suppose the rationale is that though EDGE players are very important, their contribution towards wins does not outweigh the amount of opportunity cost, in terms of salary cap space.

Yeah, I think you exploit the positions that are underpaid.

TEs are underpaid. That's why Belichick paid his TEs.

CBs are underpaid compared to WRs. That's why Belichick paid CBs more than WRs. Theoretically, an elite CB should have the same value as an elite WR.

However, slot receivers are underpaid compared to wideouts. That's why Belichick focused on TEs and slot receivers.

Think of Welker, Amendola, Edelman for his slot receivers.

DEs are overpaid. Left Tackles are overpaid. QBs you just have to pay.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27
Jump to: