View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Agreed, he's a WR3 on most NFL teams, and on the Bucs he's wasted cap space and redundant. Tampa Bay has one proven quality slot receiver, and three high quality TEs who can play in-line
I don't see the point of signing Sanu once he clears waivers.

TB will sign Fournette.

who are you labeling a proven slot receiver?

Chris Godwin is a proven slot. Both Evans and Godwin can play inside and outside, but Godwin had more production from the slot than Evans, and in fact had more catches and yardage from the slot than as a flanker.

Godwin did play a material amount of slot during the last 3 seasons, but he is expected to primarily be on the outside this season opposite Evans, especially since they are running a 12 personnel as their base offense. When they go to a 11 personnel, the expectation is for Miller or whoever to come in to play the slot. Godwin played a lot of slot his rookie and 2nd year because Desean Jackson did not want to play slot....and last year Perriman was better outside. I do not think Godwin is in the slot much this year....I would say almost never with the current roster.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yeah, Godwin works great from the slot, though he can play outside as well. I wonder if Brady wants Miller on the field in the slot, though. Perhaps his brain doesn't compute without a white slot WR for him. (I joke...kind of.)

I believe Scotty Miller is more flanker than slot receiver.

Are you a youth coach...or have kids that play youth football? I ask because I have not heard the term "flanker" used in a long time. I know they use it often in youth football so the kid knows if he is on the TE side / strong side of the formation...and on or off the LOS. In college, we just always went with X, Y, Z, etc. and I still hear those terms a lot of Saturdays....and then in the NFL it seems I mostly just hear Slot Receiver and Wide Receiver. Maybe it is used more often than i think today, and I just do not pick up on it?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Agreed, he's a WR3 on most NFL teams, and on the Bucs he's wasted cap space and redundant. Tampa Bay has one proven quality slot receiver, and three high quality TEs who can play in-line
I don't see the point of signing Sanu once he clears waivers.

TB will sign Fournette.

who are you labeling a proven slot receiver?

Chris Godwin is a proven slot. Both Evans and Godwin can play inside and outside, but Godwin had more production from the slot than Evans, and in fact had more catches and yardage from the slot than as a flanker.

Godwin did play a material amount of slot during the last 3 seasons, but he is expected to primarily be on the outside this season opposite Evans, especially since they are running a 12 personnel as their base offense. When they go to a 11 personnel, the expectation is for Miller or whoever to come in to play the slot. Godwin played a lot of slot his rookie and 2nd year because Desean Jackson did not want to play slot....and last year Perriman was better outside. I do not think Godwin is in the slot much this year....I would say almost never with the current roster.

Oh I agree, Tampa Bay should lean heavily on 12 personnel packages, especially toward or in the red zone. There's incredible quality and depth to the TEs, use it and abuse it. But I also expect to see 11 personnel packages as well to keep the defenses honest. Even when New England has both Gronk and "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" playing TE (best receiving TE pairing the the NFL) they mixed in lots of Welker at the slot with 11 and 21 packages. I expect Ariens to follow the same blueprint, which is great that Godwin can really produce in the slot.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yeah, Godwin works great from the slot, though he can play outside as well. I wonder if Brady wants Miller on the field in the slot, though. Perhaps his brain doesn't compute without a white slot WR for him. (I joke...kind of.)

I believe Scotty Miller is more flanker than slot receiver.

Are you a youth coach...or have kids that play youth football? I ask because I have not heard the term "flanker" used in a long time. I know they use it often in youth football so the kid knows if he is on the TE side / strong side of the formation...and on or off the LOS. In college, we just always went with X, Y, Z, etc. and I still hear those terms a lot of Saturdays....and then in the NFL it seems I mostly just hear Slot Receiver and Wide Receiver. Maybe it is used more often than i think today, and I just do not pick up on it?

I played in high school. I sometimes borrow the language that we used to run in the I formation (flanker, split-end) with a Three Wide I variant which used a flanker, split-end and slot. Sometimes I used X, Y and Z but old habits die hard as I type away.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

AP released. Ogunbowale released. Looks like McCoy might be the passing down guy in Tampa, or perhaps even Fournette, I suppose. It will come down to which back protects Brady the best, I'd assume.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Also, Ryquell Armstead has just been placed on the COVID-reserve list again. Recall that he was already on it earlier this summer. So Nebraska rookie Devine Ozigbo could have a chance at the lead role on early downs. And I'd watch for an Adrian Peterson signing; Jay Gruden is their new OC and is, of course, familiar with AP, who wants to keep playing.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AP released. Ogunbowale released. Looks like McCoy might be the passing down guy in Tampa, or perhaps even Fournette, I suppose. It will come down to which back protects Brady the best, I'd assume.

That's one of the reasons they signed Fournette. Frankly, the entire stable of RBs in Tampa Bay are weak in pass protection. Fournette has the body, and I've seen him block well. But his overall effort level in Jax sucked, and I attribute it to his willingness to pass block.

I agree, RoJo will probably get the start, but if he doesn't pick up the blitz or whiffs blocks, they'll go to Fournette. I'm betting on Fournette providing better energy in TB, as he'll be out of the NFL if he reverts to form.

edit: damn typos

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Still no serious interest in Earl Thomas.

Reportedly the Cowboys will talk to him in a couple of days.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Cowboys DE Randy Gregory has been reinstated by the league.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

The Dolphins are cutting Josh Rosen a year after trading a 2nd Round pick for him. Not good.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Dolphins are cutting Josh Rosen a year after trading a 2nd Round pick for him. Not good.

I thought Rosen had some talent, but he's one of those young QBs that gets thrown into the fire before they're ready. Someone could pick him up as a reclamation project, but at this point he's a long shot at a productive career as a backup.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Biggest news of the day: Clowney will sign with the Titans. Huge get for them.

Bills inked CB Tre'Davious White to what looks to me, at first glance, to be an extremely team-friendly 4 year, $70MM extension. He's really good.

Cowboys RT La'El Collins to IR. I was all-in on Dallas this year, but it does need to be noted that they have now lost 2 of their starting 5 offensive lineman from last season, with retiring C Travis Frederick being the other.

Oh, I guess I did forget to mention Watson's extension with the Texans. I think Jerry Jones is going to regret not paying Dak when he had the chance. The price of poker just goes up!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Biggest news of the day: Clowney will sign with the Titans. Huge get for them.

I was happy...was worried he was going to end up in New Orleans.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I thought Rosen had some talent, but he's one of those young QBs that gets thrown into the fire before they're ready. Someone could pick him up as a reclamation project, but at this point he's a long shot at a productive career as a backup.

He's on the way to XFL 3.0.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Buccaneers are signing QB Josh Rosen to their practice squad, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Rosen talked to teams that had openings on their active roster but with guaranteed $$ in his pocket already, went with the best fit in Tampa.

1:40 PM · Sep 6, 2020

love the fit....if he looks good, he can move into the backup role next season and learn from the GOAT
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Buccaneers are signing QB Josh Rosen to their practice squad, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Rosen talked to teams that had openings on their active roster but with guaranteed $$ in his pocket already, went with the best fit in Tampa.

1:40 PM · Sep 6, 2020

love the fit....if he looks good, he can move into the backup role next season and learn from the GOAT

It was a good move. In all likelihood, Rosen's NFL career has probably been trashed. So much of a QB's game isn't just based on arm talent, it's based on the ability to read and react to the defense. When a QB has his confidence destroyed early in his career, chances are his confidence and presence are both shot. I've said it before here, and I'll say it again: The vast majority of rookie QBs (particularly pocket passers) should carry a clipboard during their first year.

I liked Rosen a lot during the draft, I thought he was the second best QB prospect that year. He faces long odds at turning his career around. He'll need to be rebuilt on a team that doesn't need him for at least a year or two, and he needs a coach who has a track record at developing QBs. Tampa Bay is the best fit for him in the NFL. Money isn't important, he's still has a couple of years of guaranteed money coming his way.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Dolphins are always a mess.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Since there was no preseason this year, seems like the season snuck up on us.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Since there was no preseason this year, seems like the season snuck up on us.

is that good or bad? I am leaning good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The Saints listed Taysom Hill #2 on the QB depth chart and Jameis Winston #3, for you Hill truthers out there! If Brees did get hurt, I wonder if they would elevate Winston to the starter on game day and keep Hill in his current role. I'm sure the Saints hope they don't have to find out the answer to that question.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Sheesh. I can’t believe game 1 is Thursday.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Sheesh. I can’t believe game 1 is Thursday.

doesnt even feel like football season
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

How optimistic is everyone about the season having no issues like MLB has had?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
How optimistic is everyone about the season having no issues like MLB has had?

The NFL should benefit from lessons learned from other leagues that had to restart earlier. But then the NFL will face problems other sports leagues don't have to because they play a full contact sport.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

DeAndre Hopkins Agrees To Two-Year, $54.5M Extension With Cardinals

$27M per year for Hopkins?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27
Jump to: