View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

Tom Seaver, the greatest Met ever and one of the very best of all time, has died. RIP

8:18 PM · Sep 2, 2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sources: Indians trade ace Mike Clevinger to Padres

As a Padres fan, I wasn't aware that being a baseball fan could be fun.. I've known nothing but pain, misery, and hopelessness my entire life. This is opening a whole new world to me

You got him for much less than I thought, too. To me the Padres are now the clear 2nd-best team in the NL. Sets up the Dodgers and Padres on a collision course for a 2nd round best-of-5 series, if they can each get past the first round, which is of course no guarantee.

I really hate the 2 out of 3 in the first round this year. That's truly a toss up, and it's like you get no reward for having a regular season. There's gonna be some crazy results for sure

Oh yeah. Anyone can lose a 3-game series. Even a 5-game series is random. A 3-game series? Utterly random.

It’d be ironic if we went through the entire season not losing any series only to lose a 3 game series in the playoffs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sources: Indians trade ace Mike Clevinger to Padres

As a Padres fan, I wasn't aware that being a baseball fan could be fun.. I've known nothing but pain, misery, and hopelessness my entire life. This is opening a whole new world to me

You got him for much less than I thought, too. To me the Padres are now the clear 2nd-best team in the NL. Sets up the Dodgers and Padres on a collision course for a 2nd round best-of-5 series, if they can each get past the first round, which is of course no guarantee.

I really hate the 2 out of 3 in the first round this year. That's truly a toss up, and it's like you get no reward for having a regular season. There's gonna be some crazy results for sure

Oh yeah. Anyone can lose a 3-game series. Even a 5-game series is random. A 3-game series? Utterly random.

It’d be ironic if we went through the entire season not losing any series only to lose a 3 game series in the playoffs.

Which is why I want us to lose a series in the regular season. There's no way a team is going an entire season, even a shortened one, without losing a series.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

^^^^Reds have to go on a winning streak and grab that 8th playoff spot. I assume they would play the Dodgers in Round 1 (#1 vs. #8?). That would be fun....and I actually would be happy that it would be in Dodger Stadium (I think I recall the first series games would all be at the higher seed stadium?), because ironically the Dodgers lineup would likely have even more of an advantage in Great American with no fans.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, it's 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5. When the original agreement was being reported, there was info that the #1 seed could pick its opponent between #'s 5-8 (as could #2 and #3 with the teams that were left), but they ended up not going with that arrangement and just sticking to a normal one.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

So if SD vs SF is postponed again tomorrow, does that mean they play 3 double headers to end the season?

That’s just bad for both teams heading into the playoffs.

They’re going to have to call up some minor league arms for that and it could be an important series.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

^ I think they should have a rule of no double headers the last week of the season. It would give teams an unfair advantage/disadvantage for something that wasn’t really within their control. Just cancel those games.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I think they should have a rule of no double headers the last week of the season. It would give teams an unfair advantage/disadvantage for something that wasn’t really within their control. Just cancel those games.

They are going to play a double dip tomorrow, so I think that's only 1 game they would have to make up, right?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

They are going to play a double dip tomorrow, so I think that's only 1 game they would have to make up, right?

I don’t see 2 scheduled for today. What’s the quarantine period for a player that tested positive?

2 days doesn’t seem enough.

Yeah, you’re right. Found this out:

Quote:

The Padres and Giants received word late Saturday night that they will play a pair of seven-inning games beginning at 1:10 p.m. Sunday after results of COVID-19 testing done Saturday came back with all parties testing negative.

According to three sources, who were not authorized to speak publicly, the Giants believe it was a false positive test result that prompted postponement of the teams’ games Friday and Saturday.

Quote:
The rest of the Giants’ traveling party, as well as all Padres players and coaches and those who come in contact with on-field personnel, were tested Saturday morning. Those tests were flown to the Utah lab that is handling testing for MLB.

Padres personnel then returned to their homes. The Giants have self-isolated in their hotel rooms since Friday evening. All areas of Petco Park where players are allowed underwent additional deep cleaning.

Quote:
Both teams were told to prepare to play Sunday, but there was no official word until test results were known close to midnight. Many Padres players and coaches went to bed Saturday assuming they would play but not knowing for sure.

As of shortly after midnight, there were still some procedural steps remaining before Sunday’s games were officially announced.

Quote:
Since two games will be played Sunday, that leaves one game to be made up. The assumption is that game will be rescheduled as part of a doubleheader (also seven-inning games) during the teams’ season-ending series Sept. 25-27 in San Francisco.

That one of the two games could be made up this weekend is good news for a team headed to the postseason, as having to play three doubleheaders (of seven-inning games) would have meant playing (at least) 42 innings over that final weekend.

So I guess a Giants’ player tested positive on Friday. Everyone else tested negative on Saturday (not clear if that also includes that Giants’ player that initially tested positive). Now they are ready to play ball on Sunday.

Here’s my question: They tested everyone on Friday right? And only 1 came out positive. What’s the purpose of retesting everyone again on Saturday?

Also, if there’s such thing as a false positive, is there also such thing as a false negative?

Is the player that tested positive allowed to play today?

If you compare this to the Clevinger situation, it boggles your mind. Clevinger went out with friends. He flew on a plane with teammates without telling them. They all freaked out and the team traded him.

Here, you have a player that tested positive on Friday and now everyone plays on Sunday.

Which situation would you rather face?

A) fly on a plane with Clevinger
B) play a double header vs an opponent knowing one of their players tested positive 2 days prior.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

CUBS WIN ON A MILLS NO HITTER!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I was out a week ago....like legitimately finished with this season. The Reds were just disappointing day after day showing no signs of urgency or ability to get back in the race. A week later, a 6 game winning streak and I am scoreboard watching again! Tied for 2nd place in the NL Central and tied for the final wild card slot......0.5 games back of the other wild card slot.

Maybe we will blow it in the end....but we are in this thing with 8 games left....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Reds clinch a spot in NL playoffs!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
David Schoenfield
ESPN Senior Writer

Trevor Bauer probably just locked up the NL Cy Young Award, denying Jacob deGrom his third in a row. The Nationals scored their third run off deGrom on Andrew Stevenson's inside-the-park home run (his second home run of the game) and deGrom's ERA sits at 2.38 while Bauer is 5-4, but with a 1.73 ERA.

Quote:
Marly Rivera
ESPN Writer

With the Astros qualifying for the postseason, manager Dusty Baker has become the first manager in MLB history to take five different teams to the postseason.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject:

There will not be a Reds vs. Dodgers series in Round 1....after tonight, the Reds can finish no lower than 7....but 5 or 6 is still possible depending on tomorrow's outcomes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Playoffs are set....1st Round

NL
#8 Milwaukee @ #1 Los Angeles
#5 St. Louis @ #4 San Diego

#6 Miami @ #3 Chicago (Cubs)
#7 Cincinnati @ #2 Atlanta

AL
#8 Toronto @ #1 Tampa Bay
#5 New York (Yankees) @ #4 Cleveland

#6 Houston @ #3 Minnesota
#7 Chicago (White Sox) @ #2 Oakland
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Playoffs are set....1st Round

NL
#8 Milwaukee @ #1 Los Angeles
#5 St. Louis @ #4 San Diego

#6 Miami @ #3 Chicago (Cubs)
#7 Cincinnati @ #2 Atlanta

AL
#8 Toronto @ #1 Tampa Bay
#5 New York (Yankees) @ #4 Cleveland

#6 Houston @ #3 Minnesota
#7 Chicago (White Sox) @ #2 Oakland

I'll take a stab at predicting...

NL
Dodgers over Brewers
Cardinals over Padres
Cubs over Marlins
Reds over Braves

Dodgers over Cardinals
Cubs over Reds

Dodgers over Cubs

AL
Rays over Blue Jays
Yankees over Indians
Twins over Asterisks
A's over White Sox

Yankees over Rays
Twins over A's

Twins over Yankees

World Series
Dodgers over Twins
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject:

^^^the entire NL Central almost made the postseason. I think it worked out well for the Reds because the Cardinals held the tiebreaker and got the NL 2nd place slot. Their reward was to play the team with the 2nd best record in the NL, and if they win that series, they get the Dodgers.

Honestly, as a Reds fan, the Dodgers are the only team that legitimately worries me. At the same time, I know every one of the other 7 teams could beat us in a 3 game series....but outside the Dodgers, I just do not see many major advantages either way in these series. The Reds are clearly playing the best they have played all season....I think we are 11-3 over the last 14 games, and we won our last 5 series (4 playoff teams) this season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Cleveland Indians have declined contract options on Brad Hand
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

Cardinals are letting Kolten Wong go, and they may not sign Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright.

Which is going to be really odd as a Cardinal fan to not see Yadi catching and see him in another jersey.

I think Cardinals want to rebuild and they can't justify signing the vets, and want to go another direction at 2b with Tommy Edman, and then have Matt Carpenter play 3rd base or something?

Not a great offseason for us thus far.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Cardinals are letting Kolten Wong go, and they may not sign Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright.

Which is going to be really odd as a Cardinal fan to not see Yadi catching and see him in another jersey.

I think Cardinals want to rebuild and they can't justify signing the vets, and want to go another direction at 2b with Tommy Edman, and then have Matt Carpenter play 3rd base or something?

They’re not shutting the door on Wong right? They just declined his option at $12.5M?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Theseus wrote:

They’re not shutting the door on Wong right? They just declined his option at $12.5M?

Yeah they declined his option. He's a free agent as of now, angels are reportedly interested in him. Angels seem like they're always picking up the ex cardinals.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@JonHeyman

Braves turn down Darren O’Day $3.5M option. Bit of a surprise considering how well he’s pitched for Braves (1.21 ERA in 2 years there).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Wong and O’Neill win Good Gloves today. That gives the Cards 91, the most in MLB.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

San Diego Padres right-hander Mike Clevinger is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday and is expected to miss the entirety of the 2021 season.

I think it’s malpractice how they rushed him back for the playoffs and now he needs TJ.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

San Diego Padres right-hander Mike Clevinger is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday and is expected to miss the entirety of the 2021 season.

I think it’s malpractice how they rushed him back for the playoffs and now he needs TJ.

Again, just speculation on my part, but I bet they knew what the risks were and that he essentially already had the torn ligament and would try to get through a few more postseason starts pitching with it. Some pitchers have been able to do so. Had they just shut him down and let's say he doesn't pick up a ball until February 2021, and then the issues crop back up, now you have delayed getting the surgery long enough to where the early part of 2022 might be a question mark. Wouldn't surprise me if his agent and the team already had parameters worked out for a 2-year deal in the likely event that he would turn out to need the surgery. They probably figured that there was no risk of further damage to the ligament if he tried to pitch through it, and if he couldn't, at least he could have the surgery now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: