Former NBA star Cliff Robinson dies at 53

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Former NBA star Cliff Robinson dies at 53

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29765226/former-portland-trail-blazers-great-cliff-robinson-dies-53

Quote:
Former Portland Trail Blazers star Cliff Robinson dies at 53

Cliff Robinson, a former NBA All-Star and the 1993 Sixth Man of the Year, has died at the age of 53, the UConn Huskies confirmed Saturday.

Robinson, known for his trademark headband, spent 19 seasons in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers, Phoenix Suns, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors and New Jersey Nets. He made the 1994 NBA All-Star Game and was named to two NBA All-Defensive second teams while averaging 14.6 points and 4.6 rebounds in 1,380 career games -- the 13th-most in NBA history.

Robinson also won an NIT title at UConn, which retired his No. 00 in 2007.

"The UConn Basketball family mourns the loss of a legendary player and person, Clifford Robinson," the school said Saturday on Twitter. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Cliff's family at this difficult time."
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject:

RIP. He's a guy who's style of play would've been very well suited for today's NBA. Would probably play the 5 full time!

Wasn't there another lesser known Cliff Robinson in the NBA around the same time? BSPM may want to actually refer to him as Clifford Robinson and not Cliff because they are two different people.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
RIP. He's a guy who's style of play would've been very well suited for today's NBA. Would probably play the 5 full time!

Wasn't there another lesser known Cliff Robinson in the NBA around the same time? BSPM may want to actually refer to him as Clifford Robinson and not Cliff because they are two different people.

Yup. Played at USC and bounced around the league. I remember he played for the Bullets back in the mid-80s and was one of the team's best players. That wasn't saying much because the Bullets sucked.

Hard to believe the last time the Blazers were in the NBA Finals was when Uncle Cliffy was still a young pup. I remember those early 90s squads with Clyde Drexler, Kevin Porter, Kevin Duckworth, Jerome Kersey and Robinson. It's just unfortunate they peaked at the start of the Bulls dynasty.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

I used to hate him, because he played so great against the Lakers!

But I totally respected him and sad to see him pass at only 53, waiting to hear the cause...

RIP Cliff
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

He suffered a stroke a couple years back and was recently in a coma earlier this week(a UConn beat writer mentioned this)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

2020 keeps getting worse and worse
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

Always a cool dude. May he RIP.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Oh man, this sucks.

May he RIP. 2020 is the worst.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Always respected Uncle Cliffy and liked him when he wasn't playing the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

Cliff Robinson ended his career with a brief stint with the Lakers, just as Clifford Robinson career was beginning
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

But I totally respected him and sad to see him pass at only 53, waiting to hear the cause...

RIP Cliff

He dropped the ball out of bounds in the final min of Gm6 in 1991 when the game was either tied or someone had a 1 pt lead (forget). Either way, the Lakers won 91-90. Had Clifford caught it and put it in (there was no one to stop him), the Blazers would've survived and no Magic ball roll to the other end of the court. Cliff did do that for us, tho I'm sure it was at the top of his worst personal NBA moments list.

But that's just sport. It's a tragedy when these ex-players die so early. Jerome Kersey who threw him the pass in that scenario above, and Kevin Duckworth are also no longer with us. Rest in peace, gentlemen. I liked Kersey in 97. Very reminiscent of AC.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Cliff Robinson ended his career with a brief stint with the Lakers, just as Clifford Robinson career was beginning

Yes, 91/92. I remember in our Cliff Rob's first game with the Lakers, Sedale hit a 60 footer.

That Cliff Robinson thing reminds me of the two Eddie Johnsons who played in the 80s. The lesser known Eddie got arrested in the 2000s for molestation or something to that effect and the famous Eddie Johnson had to come out to tell the public that it was not HIM. Making it more confusing for media reporting it who weren't 80s NBA fans is that both of them played for Seattle at different times. The perp Eddie Johnson's best stint was with the Hawks, his brother was Frank Johnson (ended career with PHX in early 90s).
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

RIP Cliff

He dropped the ball out of bounds in the final min of Gm6 in 1991 when the game was either tied or someone had a 1 pt lead (forget). Either way, the Lakers won 91-90. Had Clifford caught it and put it in (there was no one to stop him), the Blazers would've survived and no Magic ball roll to the other end of the court. Cliff did do that for us, tho I'm sure it was at the top of his worst personal NBA moments list.

But that's just sport. It's a tragedy when these ex-players die so early. Jerome Kersey who threw him the pass in that scenario above, and Kevin Duckworth are also no longer with us. Rest in peace, gentlemen. I liked Kersey in 97. Very reminiscent of AC.

I like to think that just before Lamar threw the rebound down the court in Game 7, this is the moment he was thinking of.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

53 is too young. RIP
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: