Planes Trains & Automobiles to be remade starring KEVIN HART and WILL SMITH
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

"Those Aren't Pillows" just doesn't work well between Will Smith and Kevin Hart.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:
I think the most frustrating part about both of these guys is the way they’ve achieved this pinnacle of success. Both had talent..Kevin in his early days was hilarious but in order to get to where they are now they really sold out. That’s just how the game works though..sad but can’t knock the hustle. I’ll sell my soul and make awful movies if it means I can achieve a net worth of close to a billion dollars. As much as I believe in upholding a high standard for yourself...there’s always a price. Congrats to them both - not expecting much out of this at all, just like the rest of their stuff.

Sold out or take what's offered? Kevin and Will seem suited for B films. Neither are Brando or Denzel. What roll would you give them to make them more relevant? They both have niches.

They're both at can write own check level.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:
I think the most frustrating part about both of these guys is the way they’ve achieved this pinnacle of success. Both had talent..Kevin in his early days was hilarious but in order to get to where they are now they really sold out. That’s just how the game works though..sad but can’t knock the hustle. I’ll sell my soul and make awful movies if it means I can achieve a net worth of close to a billion dollars. As much as I believe in upholding a high standard for yourself...there’s always a price. Congrats to them both - not expecting much out of this at all, just like the rest of their stuff.

Sold out or take what's offered? Kevin and Will seem suited for B films. Neither are Brando or Denzel. What roll would you give them to make them more relevant? They both have niches.

That may be true but they're both B level film actors. My point is they both have niches. JMHO

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject:

This one is a head scratcher.

Obvious question, “who asked for this?”

The original was great because of the separate dynamics of fat guy, skinny guy. Loudmouth salesman vs uptight yuppie. Comic vs staight man.

You already lost two out of the three comparisons. Does Will Smith become the straight man to Hart’s comedian?

Just seems like a needless update to a classic.

And that doesn’t mean I am not in favor of updates or remakes, just that they have to be sound/good.

Love to be proven wrong, but this movie is near and dear to my heart especially around Thanksgiving time.

Bye.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:

That may be true but they're both B level film actors. My point is they both have niches. JMHO

Will Smith has been nominated TWICE for an Academy. Dude's the quintessential A-lister. Guy's movies consistently do well with the blockbuster thrown in here or there. He's been the feature for 20+ years. He's fo SHURE not a B-lister.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject:

Candy interview ca: 81/82. Cigarette in hand. Didn't help matters. Good lad, sad day when he died.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Will Smith has been nominated TWICE for an Academy. Dude's the quintessential A-lister. Guy's movies consistently do well with the blockbuster thrown in here or there. He's been the feature for 20+ years. He's fo SHURE not a B-lister.

The Fresh Prince is a D lister now, but Will Smith is an A lister. Marky Mark is a D lister, too. Mark Wahlberg? A.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The quick answer is “nobody” but studios have figured out that they can slap old names on vague remakes and the name recognition will get peoples attention (which is half the battle). Other than a loose premise this movie will have nothing to do with that movie.

The original Planes didn’t invent anything and it wasn’t the first odd couple type movie. It was special and it endures because of John Candy and Steve Martin. Remove them and it’s just another forgettable movie, like this probably will be.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
And that doesn’t mean I am not in favor of updates or remakes, just that they have to be sound/good.

Agreed. There are things that can be remade, and done so well. That's because the story and concept are the core of the movie, not some other, organic element that can't be recreated

But with PTaA, the story and concept weren't at all the point. The chemistry and comedy provided by its two stars were the heart of the movie. There's no point in remaking that kind of movie.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The original Planes didn’t invent anything and it wasn’t the first odd couple type movie. It was special and it endures because of John Candy and Steve Martin. Remove them and it’s just another forgettable movie, like this probably will be.

EXACTLY!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Candy interview ca: 81/82. Cigarette in hand. Didn't help matters. Good lad, sad day when he died.

Very sad. Back in day, my wife had just put the newspaper to bed when the news broke and she actually got to stop the presses for this one.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

Kevin hart is not funny to me at all. He seems like he is trying to hard to be the person he is
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

I'm guessing some studio exec when he asked if anyone had any new ideas for a movie and everyone in the room just went
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Custom Convertible

It's safe

JOHNNY_&_THE_HURRICANES_Red_River_Rock_fb
(MIDI reconstruction by me)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:

The Fresh Prince is a D lister now, but Will Smith is an A lister. Marky Mark is a D lister, too. Mark Wahlberg? A.

I'm a Will Smith fan. I thought Independence Day and the MIB series were good movies. I don't class them A. But that's just me. Hell, I even like Wild Wild West.

Ride Along was a good movie, Kevin Hart and Ice Cube were great. My point is they are B movies.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Kevin hart is not funny to me at all. He seems like he is trying to hard to be the person he is

He’s not my cup of tea, although I have enjoyed some of his performances. When he tries to be a leading man or action star he falls short for me, feels forced, like Will Ferrell or Seth Rogan trying to do a serious role. He’s an excellent sidekick/comedic relief/lead in a lightweight comedy actor. He has some personality and charisma and chops for that. He’s not a very good actor.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

The quick answer is “nobody” but studios have figured out that they can slap old names on vague remakes and the name recognition will get peoples attention (which is half the battle). Other than a loose premise this movie will have nothing to do with that movie.

How about a remake of My Life as a Dog starring Alf?
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:

They both can and could have put out much better products but sold out for the money. Let’s not kid ourselves. You don’t have to accept every big offer, especially when you know it’s going to be horrible. Like I said I would do the same thing. (bleep) the art give me the money.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Snipes wrote:

They both can and could have put out much better products but sold out for the money. Let’s not kid ourselves. You don’t have to accept every big offer, especially when you know it’s going to be horrible. Like I said I would do the same thing. (bleep) the art give me the money.

You're assuming you they know the project is going to be horrible. They may think it's something people will like.

I don't think either are doing it for the money.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: