C. Seager, DH
J. Turner, 3B
C. Bellinger, 1B
A.J. Pollock, CF
M. Muncy, 2B
J. Pederson, LF
C. Taylor, SS
A. Barnes, C

Love this order, besides the obviously necessary return of Corey (in the 2 hole!), Muncy moves down to take pressure off him and Barnes earns a start as he's been improving!

Barnes does have 3 hits over his last 2 games, by the grace of the universe, and he actually hit one ball hard last night haha. Smith came out of last night's game with neck discomfort that Roberts said stems from a collision at the plate in San Diego, so that's why Barnes is starting tonight. Before the series began, Roberts had stated that Smith would get 3 of the 4 starts in this series. Hope it's nothing too serious, and it doesn't seem like it is.

This is the best 1-2-3 in the order that we can hope for, as things currently stand now. Pollock deserves to hit 5th over Muncy for sure.

I wonder if there's something physically wrong with Bellinger. He was the DH last night, and tonight he's playing 1B. I suppose if they want both Joc and Pollock in there, he has to play 1B, since Seager needs to be the DH for now. So perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Yeah, I probably am!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Guess who's "back"!

M. Betts, RF
C. Seager, DH
J. Turner, 3B
C. Bellinger, 1B
A.J. Pollock, CF
M. Muncy, 2B
J. Pederson, LF
C. Taylor, SS
A. Barnes, C

Love this order, besides the obviously necessary return of Corey (in the 2 hole!), Muncy moves down to take pressure off him and Barnes earns a start as he's been improving!

Barnes does have 3 hits over his last 2 games, by the grace of the universe, and he actually hit one ball hard last night haha. Smith came out of last night's game with neck discomfort that Roberts said stems from a collision at the plate in San Diego, so that's why Barnes is starting tonight. Before the series began, Roberts had stated that Smith would get 3 of the 4 starts in this series. Hope it's nothing too serious, and it doesn't seem like it is.

This is the best 1-2-3 in the order that we can hope for, as things currently stand now. Pollock deserves to hit 5th over Muncy for sure.

I wonder if there's something physically wrong with Bellinger. He was the DH last night, and tonight he's playing 1B. I suppose if they want both Joc and Pollock in there, he has to play 1B, since Seager needs to be the DH for now. So perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Yeah, I probably am!

Oh yeah Smith has a stiff neck, hope he can heal up and catch the majority of the Fwy Series. Re: Seager, you are correct. Just read that Doc wants to ease Corey back in to things so he may DH tonight and again tomorrow before being cleared to field at SS again.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

What a game! Seager hits a jack his first AB and is FINALLY batting second. Betts has hit two homers already. Pollock with a great grab in CF, a homer and an RBI double. And best of all BARNES HIT A HOMER LOL. We are only in the bottom of the fourth gents. I know ChickenStu is quiet because he’s enjoying every second of this.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Team MVP so far, Betts or Seager?

Seager’s been the more consistent player. Started hot right off the bat and has remained so.

Betts started cold then got hot and now has the better numbers.

I’d say Seager. I value consistency over streakiness. (Not saying Betts is a streaky player but his season so far has been).
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Mookie is mega talented so now we know why BoSox fans are still sore we took him away for basically nada.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

Was at tennis tonight so I watched the game on DVR, just got finished with it about 20 mins ago. Austin Barnes squared 3 balls up tonight (the homer, the single and even the what-should-have-been DP ball was a hard grounder). Has hell frozen over? LOL.

Betts is just so awesome. I'd take him over anyone except Trout. What a player.

The umpire really didn't like Muncy tonight. He called 3 absolutely brutal pitches strikes on him alone. Like, nowhere near the strike zone. He was absolutely steaming after grounding out into the shift after he basically had his second AB taken away from him by the umpire.

I think we'll see Bellinger back in CF tomorrow, with Pollock in LF, Muncy at 1B, Kike back in there at 2B, and Taylor still at SS, with the lefty Sandoval starting for the Angels. I'd expect a lineup of Betts-Seager-Turner-Bellinger-Pollock-Muncy-Taylor-Kike-Barnes.

Good outing from Urias. Of course there was the obligatory 0-2 home run allowed in the first inning to Pham, but then Paddack did the same thing on Seager's first inning 2-run shot. I continue to shake my head at how awful major league pitchers are at allowing 0-2 hard contact.

Still haven't lost a series, so that was a nice bounceback for us the last 2 nights to salvage a split. Also, now at 4-3 vs. the Padres this year and with 3 games left against them, we can win the season series if we take 2 out of 3 in the last series against them, and at least clinch 5-5 unless they sweep us. I assume the first tiebreaker in the event of a tie for the division is H2H record. (There's no way they will take the time to play an extra game for the division title, I don't believe, not in this crammed schedule they are playing.)
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
There's no way they will take the time to play an extra game for the division title, I don't believe, not in this crammed schedule they are playing.

Haven’t thought about this but it’s interesting.

There’s lots at stake with 8 playoff teams. There’s going to be lots of chances for ties for the division, for overall seeding in entire conference and for making the playoffs as the 8th seed.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

Hopefully, they will keep the same lineup as yesterday..

And an even BIGGER HOPE is that Bellinger & Muncy can get their battling averages up over .190!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

Lot of impressive performances last night. Bellinger included. Statline won't show it, but he absolutely spanked two balls last night (granted, right to fielders). One on a fastball and one on an off-speed pitch low and away that he really turned on. And took a really good walk as well, taking some pitches that he had been effetely swinging at. His stance is starting to look a lot more like last years (he reverted to it about a week ago), and the batted ball results are starting to catch up. He's about to turn it around.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Remember Mookie is 14 months YOUNGER than Trout and is way more clutch. Trout is a stat padder on losing teams his whole career.

Kersh owns Trout, 0-10, let's keep that slide going tonight lol.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Remember Mookie is 14 months YOUNGER than Trout and is way more clutch. Trout is a stat padder on losing teams his whole career.

totally agreed. the fact Trout chose Angels (who is a perennial mediocre at best team) over Yankees, Redsox or Cubs tells you all you need to know about this guy's priority on winning.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

I did not know that. I learned something here. Not that I don't trust you, but I have a habit of verifying new information to me.

FanGraphs: Clutch:

MookieBetts: 1.19

Mike Trout: -5.87

Thanks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

No Muncy tonight vs. the lefty. Rios is playing 1B. Pollock in the cleanup spot, with Bellinger fifth.

Betts
Seager
JT
Pollock
Bellinger
Taylor
Kike
Rios
Barnes
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
No Muncy tonight vs. the lefty. Rios is playing 1B. Pollock in the cleanup spot, with Bellinger fifth.

Betts
Seager
JT
Pollock
Bellinger
Taylor
Kike
Rios
Barnes

Great lineup. Is bellinger DHing? Or still Corey?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Actually I’d consider putting Rios 9th because he’s more of a threat to get on and provides more protection to Betts than Barnes
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

I did not know that. I learned something here. Not that I don't trust you, but I have a habit of verifying new information to me.

Thanks.

I gotta say this. I love the Dodgers almost as my Lakers and thus I know the history of my team very well. When it comes to clutch, our Dodgers as a whole have come up empty far more often than not. Guys like Don Newcombe and Ralph Branca come up immediately to mind along with of course, the ultimate choker Kershaw.....there is no apology for this guy. This guy has a choking performance in EVERY year he has been in the playoffs starting from 2008. Trust me, I can name every single one of them. Its incredible really his playoff history of choking. He certainly is no Valenzuela or Hershiser, both of whom you could trust in playoff crunch time. With Kershaw once he starts to lose the plot, its all downhill. Its like he cant fight against the negative momentum and get out of a jam when it really counts
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Thanks.

You replace Kershaw with Koufax (a very clutch pitcher) hypothetically (we probably still lose to the Phillies in 08 and 09 just because Broxton was an even bigger choker. 2013 even if somehow we beat the Cardinals, we arent beating the Red Sox that year. So up to 2013, fine acceptable we havent won anything. 2014 was the year a watered down crappy Giants won the WS and we were the most talented team in baseball and we squandered a 6-0 lead in game 1 at Dodger Stadium thanks to Kershaw. This year with an in-form Koufax, its is easily foreseeable that we will the WS that year. 2015 we lost to the Mets but the games Kershaw pitched were fine. He just got outdueled by DeGrom in game 1 and pitched well against Matz in Game 4. 2016 was the year of the Cubs so even replacing Kershaw with Koufax, I dont think changes that series either even though Kershaw bombed game 6 vs the Cubs. Koufax would have to be perfect trying to beat Hendricks in Wrigley in that game 6. 2017 you replace Kershaw with Koufax and we win the WS for sure. That was our year and Kershaw's choking in game 5 had a lot to do with losing that series. 2018, the Red Sox were the better team so we probably still lose that series regardless and it was the bullpen that really killed us in game 4 of that series. 2019 is another fun hypothetical. If kershaw doesnt screw up game 5 and you replace him with Koufax, we would have had another date with the Astros. Replacing Kershaw with Koufax alone gets us a title in 2017 and gives us a great chance in 2014 and 2019. Also chose Koufax for a specific reason. A dominant lefty that demonstrated on-par regular season dominance of Kershaw and to show what would have happened if we had a dominant lefty that was also clutch in the playoffs vs the one we have now that has come up short so many times EVERY year he has been in the playoffs
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

totally agreed. the fact Trout chose Angels (who is a perennial mediocre at best team) over Yankees, Redsox or Cubs tells you all you need to know about this guy's priority on winning.

Please stop. Trout is the best player in baseball and probably of all time. Stat padder on a bad team? Most ridiculous statement ever.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Please stop. Trout is the best player in baseball and probably of all time. Stat padder on a bad team? Most ridiculous statement ever.

Hahaha you made do a double take and check Trout's stats. But considering the time period and how many hard throwers there are in today's game (guys that throw 95+) compared to the 90s or before, you might be right. I still lean towards Bonds (92-98 version) and probably Griffey being better though.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Hahaha you made do a double take and check Trout's stats. But considering the time period and how many hard throwers there are in today's game (guys that throw 95+) compared to the 90s or before, you might be right. I still lean towards Bonds (92-98 version) and probably Griffey being better though.

Both didn’t do it as long as Trout has. And Bonds obviously was on the juice in the 2000s. Either way I don’t even care, the fact is Trout is easily in the conversation and can be argued for against anybody. The fact that he’s been called a stat padder from a guy named mookiebetts on this forum is hysterical. He’s an Angel and I don’t care for him. Mookie is my guy ...but guys let’s not get it twisted. Trout is and has been the clear cut best player in the mlb for years.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Thanks.

I gotta say this. I love the Dodgers almost as my Lakers and thus I know the history of my team very well. When it comes to clutch, our Dodgers as a whole have come up empty far more often than not. Guys like Don Newcombe and Ralph Branca come up immediately to mind along with of course, the ultimate choker Kershaw.....there is no apology for this guy. This guy has a choking performance in EVERY year he has been in the playoffs starting from 2008. Trust me, I can name every single one of them. Its incredible really his playoff history of choking. He certainly is no Valenzuela or Hershiser, both of whom you could trust in playoff crunch time. With Kershaw once he starts to lose the plot, its all downhill. Its like he cant fight against the negative momentum and get out of a jam when it really counts

In 2019, they were tough as nails in the regular season. They had a dozen walk offs but sputtered in the playoffs. HOpefully this is the year.

Tip of the hat to the FO. They paid the right guy in Mookie.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) you Rendon, spoiling Kersh's no-no!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I think Kershaw retired every single batter in the game except for Rendon every time he came up. Rendon, I believe, walked twice and homered. Kershaw allowed 1 hit and 2 walks. And hit 94 a couple of times, which is a very, very positive development.

Bellinger might be coming out of it! Just homered again, and his two homers were pulled off a hanging slider and hit to left-center on a fastball. Great signs. We're now breezing, 7-1.

Oh, and Austin Barnes has now put together a bunch of AB's over 3-4 days where he's hitting the ball hard, even on his outs. I have no idea what is happening lol, but I like it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I think Kershaw retired every single batter in the game except for Rendon every time he came up. Rendon, I believe, walked twice and homered. Kershaw allowed 1 hit and 2 walks. And hit 94 a couple of times, which is a very, very positive development.

Bellinger might be coming out of it! Just homered again, and his two homers were pulled off a hanging slider and hit to left-center on a fastball. Great signs. We're now breezing, 7-1.

Oh, and Austin Barnes has now put together a bunch of AB's over 3-4 days where he's hitting the ball hard, even on his outs. I have no idea what is happening lol, but I like it.

Man, that's great news if Kershaw hit 94 a couple of times!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Back in first baaaabyyyy.

To make this evening even better, you guys saw the SF Midgets massive choke job giving up a 5 run lead in the 9th to the A's?!

P.S. sorry to ruffle everyone's feathers re: Trout...to me he is gonna always be more TMac/Harden while Mookie is more akin to Kobe. Regular season guy vs. postseason guy there is no comparison. Trout is the best regular season player since Barroids however.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 23 of 300
Jump to: