View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't know if this has been offered. I watched The Shawshank Redemption again tonight. Takes a solid film for me to sit through it without getting bored. The movie was great. I believe Morgan Freeman won the Academy Award for best actor.

It's one of my kryptonite movies. If it pops up on cable, no matter where it is in the movie, I can't help but sit down and finish it. Same with The Fugitive.

Con Air

Sweet! Along with Face/Off and The Rock it's a trilogy of peak Nic before he married a Korean stripper and had to sell his private island due to unsustainable debt Cage.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

The Samaritan, Samuel L Jackson. His ability to act shined in this one. It's about grifters. It's on Netflix.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Samaritan, Samuel L Jackson. His ability to act shined in this one. It's about grifters. It's on Netflix.

What's your favorite Sam Jackson performance?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I should be allowed to slap the taste out of the mouths of every corporate lackey who greenlights ads on DVD/Blu-Rays. If I'm paying you for a physical copy of Phantom Thread, Universal, why in the hell do I get trailers for movies I will either never see or movies that I've seen and will never purchase? Hey, Thoroughbreds is good, but it isn't that good. Why not put up ads for truck nutz or whatever? Pure scum.

Brought to you by the guy who purchased a Phantom Thread Blu two years ago and is just now rewatching the movie because life sucks and Alma balms the soul (without ads that is).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I should be allowed to slap the taste out of the mouths of every corporate lackey who greenlights ads on DVD/Blu-Rays. If I'm paying you for a physical copy of Phantom Thread, Universal, why in the hell do I get trailers for movies I will either never see or movies that I've seen and will never purchase? Hey, Thoroughbreds is good, but it isn't that good. Why not put up ads for truck nutz or whatever? Pure scum.

Brought to you by the guy who purchased a Phantom Thread Blu two years ago and is just now rewatching the movie because life sucks and Alma balms the soul (without ads that is).

Alma is maybe my favorite character from any movie made during the previous decade. Her smile.

And what a romantic comedy as romantic comedies for the most part are consigned to straight-to-VOD status these days. And it's so sexy and it hurts just right. What a picture.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

What's your favorite Sam Jackson performance?

Shaft 2019

I'm going to watch Black Is King a film Beyonce. It's on Disney. Has anyone seen it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.

One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.

His next picture is set to star Bradley Cooper who doesn't inspire me in the least as a leading man (good comedic sidekick, though), but I'm fascinated to see how he plays in a PTA film.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

Some soon-to-be-leaving streaming notes:

The massive 14-hour Argentinian epic La Flor (2019) is streaming on Mubi in three segments set to leave the service next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It's a big commitment, but I've found it delightful for the first two hours and counting and 14 hours is about the length of a season of prestige tv, which folks will often binge over a weekend. If you're interested, start planning accordingly.

Leaving Mubi this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the blissfully short, vital snapshots of the Civil Rights Movement captured by Madeline Anderson, Integration Report 1 (1960), A Tribute to Malcolm X (1967), and I Am Somebody (1969). Great stuff.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

definitely missing a couple names there, but agree all around, pta is one of the goats, for sure.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

definitely missing a couple names there, but agree all around, pta is one of the goats, for sure.

Who else do you think? Very interested to hear who else comes to mind for you.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Who else do you think? Very interested to hear who else comes to mind for you.

Jonathan Demme (close up's) and Kubrick
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

His next picture is set to star Bradley Cooper who doesn't inspire me in the least as a leading man (good comedic sidekick, though), but I'm fascinated to see how he plays in a PTA film.

PTA is a mixed bag for me. I loved him up through Punch Drunk Love. But since the mutual masturbation between he and DDL (and the cinematographer) in There will be Blood, he’s produced mostly pretentious dreck.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

Black Is King is visually stunning. The message is lost in the films presentation. If you like pageantry you'll enjoy the film. If you want the message you have to pay close attention and follow the visuals. On a 1 to 10 I give the film 5.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

More things I don't get: almost everything by Straub/Huillet. I've watched some dry, boring (bleep) over the years, but I cannot sit and watch any of their Marxist anti-entertainment movies deconstructing Western art or whatever. The premises sound academically interesting, but in praxis they put me to sleep.

Give me hot dames with guns and designs on some cash any day over static live action productions of Antigone.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:

PTA is a mixed bag for me. I loved him up through Punch Drunk Love. But since the mutual masturbation between he and DDL (and the cinematographer) in There will be Blood, he’s produced mostly pretentious dreck.

I find most of his stuff really funny rather than pretentious, especially Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread. There are farts, pratfalls, pompous blowhards getting knocked down a peg or two, and a character named Reynolds Woodcock. Woodcock!

"Are you a special agent sent here to ruin my evening and possibly my entire life?"
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject:

random, but I really really loved End of Watch
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Some soon-to-be-leaving streaming notes:

The massive 14-hour Argentinian epic La Flor (2019) is streaming on Mubi in three segments set to leave the service next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It's a big commitment, but I've found it delightful for the first two hours and counting and 14 hours is about the length of a season of prestige tv, which folks will often binge over a weekend. If you're interested, start planning accordingly.

Leaving Mubi this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the blissfully short, vital snapshots of the Civil Rights Movement captured by Madeline Anderson, Integration Report 1 (1960), A Tribute to Malcolm X (1967), and I Am Somebody (1969). Great stuff.

Well, I got about five hours into it and I'm out. It's ambitious and reasonably entertaining, but none of the material in its sprawling six part structure is good enough on its own (so far) to justify all 14 hours except if you're watching it at a really leisurely pace, say an hour here and there when you're bored spread out over several weeks.

I got bogged down at times binging all 18 hours of Twin Peaks: The Return last year, but even the weaker episodes had enough astounding moments to keep me pushing through to the truly mind blowing stuff. La Flor has four very talented actresses showing off their range in melodrama, horror, thriller, comedy, etc. yet the genre material they're working with in each film "exercise" is mostly only so-so (so far).
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

If I may presume this thread to be the Film (and its Stars) thread, then this shirley belongs:

Eugene Levy Lifetime Achievement Award, with tributes from many of his friends and colleagues.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
If I may presume this thread to be the Film (and its Stars) thread, then this shirley belongs:

Eugene Levy Lifetime Achievement Award, with tributes from many of his friends and colleagues.

What al mensch. May he live forever.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
also has anyone seen palm springs yet?

Watched it recently when I was feeling a bit down and it was a great pick me up. A surprisingly sweet, warm hearted romantic comedy with a top notch cast and impressive performances from Sandberg, Miloti, and, of course, J.K. Simmons

Time loop movies are catnip for me and Palm Springs adds to its Groundhog Day riff with a legitimately touching romance between its two flawed, but likeable lead characters. It captures that feeling of being in a private world with the person you're falling in love with as well as the fear of both being stuck and the unknown future of any relationship. And it's funny to boot albeit with some gross out gags that may not work for everyone.

Good flick. Solid B.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

My concern with the Gone With The Wind business was that it would lead to all sorts of movies getting unwanted explainers that would deprive viewers of discovering certain classics and forming their own thoughts about them. Now there’s a mandatory explainer at the top of Blazing Saddles explaining what satire and jokes are.

Quote:
Blazing Saddles is currently streaming on HBO Max, along with a new introduction that automatically plays before the Mel Brooks classic begins.

It is unclear exactly when the intro was added to the 1974 comedy classic starring the late Cleavon Little and the late Gene Wilder, but it was sometime after the film premiered on the streaming service in July.

"The intro was added to ensure that the film was put into the proper social context," an HBO Max spokeswoman told The Hollywood Reporter.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Watched it recently when I was feeling a bit down and it was a great pick me up. A surprisingly sweet, warm hearted romantic comedy with a top notch cast and impressive performances from Sandberg, Miloti, and, of course, J.K. Simmons

Time loop movies are catnip for me and Palm Springs adds to its Groundhog Day riff with a legitimately touching romance between its two flawed, but likeable lead characters. It captures that feeling of being in a private world with the person you're falling in love with as well as the fear of both being stuck and the unknown future of any relationship. And it's funny to boot albeit with some gross out gags that may not work for everyone.

Good flick. Solid B.

I liked it too. Millioti is a star.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Good flick. Solid B.

good looking out. meant to check it out last week but my superior half wasn't feeling the schmaltz.

no thoughts on demme and kubrick? you asked, i answered, friendo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 81 of 189
Jump to: