LeBron vs Magic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the better player?
LeBron
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
Magic
56%
 56%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 48

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I get that "prime" is a vague word that can mean anything anyone wants it to, but in my opinion prime Magic and prime Jordan did play against each other. Their teams just were never at their peaks at the same time.

I think that's accurate. In one sense, Magic's career prime was around '87, because that's what everyone remembers best. But he was just 31 in '01, which is typically late in the physical prime of a player. The team roster was just okay, not great, at that point. He took them to the NBA Finals. That's pretty impressive.

That was a real transitional era. On paper, Portland should have beaten the Lakers. But all the secondary guys -- Perkins, Scott, Divac -- had a great series. After that, Portland came into their own. And then the Spurs and Rockets found their way.

It would have been interesting to see what would had happened if Magic didn't contract HIV. He could have ended up a declining star on a lackluster team. That could have played out in a lot of different ways, many of them not good.

How good was the comeback version of Magic as a PF?

Magic could still play effectively. However, he really didn't like the PF role. He wanted to run the show, as always, and got into a lot of conflicts with his teammates as a result.

Why didn’t he play PG then? Van Exel could have been traded.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I get that "prime" is a vague word that can mean anything anyone wants it to, but in my opinion prime Magic and prime Jordan did play against each other. Their teams just were never at their peaks at the same time.

I think that's accurate. In one sense, Magic's career prime was around '87, because that's what everyone remembers best. But he was just 31 in '01, which is typically late in the physical prime of a player. The team roster was just okay, not great, at that point. He took them to the NBA Finals. That's pretty impressive.

That was a real transitional era. On paper, Portland should have beaten the Lakers. But all the secondary guys -- Perkins, Scott, Divac -- had a great series. After that, Portland came into their own. And then the Spurs and Rockets found their way.

It would have been interesting to see what would had happened if Magic didn't contract HIV. He could have ended up a declining star on a lackluster team. That could have played out in a lot of different ways, many of them not good.

How good was the comeback version of Magic as a PF?

Magic could still play effectively. However, he really didn't like the PF role. He wanted to run the show, as always, and got into a lot of conflicts with his teammates as a result.

Why didn’t he play PG then? Van Exel could have been traded.

Magic was turning 37 and was much heavier than his prime playing days. He showed flashes running the break because he's Magic, but his desire to be full time Magic the point guard again was not realistic. Nick was up and coming, this was pre-cancun cancun cancun! So no way the Lakers were dealing him. Magic hung it up that summer. But when we signed Shaq, his juices were flowing again, he talked of getting back. But the newspapers quoting sources said the Lakers' eyes were rolling. They didn't want Magic to be a part of the new Shaq squad. But I thought if Magic could be happy and kept his ego in check, his leadership would have been valuable against those damn Jazz. Nobody wanted the ball in the crunch against the Jazz except for a high school kid. Magic may have changed things if he was there getting the ball in the post and making decisions.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Magic was turning 37 and was much heavier than his prime playing days. He showed flashes running the break because he's Magic, but his desire to be full time Magic the point guard again was not realistic. Nick was up and coming, this was pre-cancun cancun cancun! So no way the Lakers were dealing him.

Magic also had old man syndrome. He lectured his young teammates that they didn't act professionally, and then Magic himself was suspended for pushing a ref. And then Magic frustrated Jerry West by being non-committal on whether he would return. The Lakers would have been happy to have Magic back, but they knew he wasn't the future.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Always something to think about that Magic retired right before the season when the Kobe and Shaq Lakers were first put together.

He may not have played much with Kobe in that first season, but could you imagine the "Magic to Shaq!!" plays that could have happened???

Magic playing with both Kareem, and then Shaq, would have been something to behold imho.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Always something to think about that Magic retired right before the season when the Kobe and Shaq Lakers were first put together.

He may not have played much with Kobe in that first season, but could you imagine the "Magic to Shaq!!" plays that could have happened???

Magic playing with both Kareem, and then Shaq, would have been something to behold imho.

Would have been interesting to see ...

Would Magic's body have held up for a whole season?

Would Magic and Shaq get along?

Would having Magic around stymied Kobe's development?

Would it have all worked out?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Weren’t his knees shot anyway even if not for HIV?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Weren’t his knees shot anyway even if not for HIV?

Magic had chronic knee problems most of his career.

I am sure his knees didn't suddenly get better, especially with all his extra weight, but I don't remember them being any special issue.

Last edited by activeverb on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I remember Magic's knees looking bad by then.

It was 30 years ago and I don't even know how my own knees were, so it amazes me how some of you remember exactly what happened.

Luka reminds me of Magic.

He's the worthy successor to Magic if he wins some chips.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: