Ford Blew it Again...!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Ford Blew it Again...!

Not sure how many of you followed all the build-up and hype around the re-release of the Ford Ranger a few years ago, but they leaked bits and pieces about it for 2 years and then once it was released, and compared to comparable Mid-Size Trucks, it failed miserably, I don't recall seeing any head-to-head reviews that it actually won or even came in second place, in fact most reviews had it ranked behind the Tacoma, both GM Mid-size trucks and the Jeep Gladiator, it might have beat out the 8 year old Nissan Frontier (lol). Nice going Ford!

Anyway, fast-forward a couple of years and hers comes the re-release of the Bronco! Again, Ford has taken 2 or 3 years to design and release this thing, with just enough publicity leaks to keep all the Truck guys watching and waiting, not to mention the car press world salivating. I guess there is gonna be a couple of different sizes with all kinds of options and multiple configurations, all so they can take on a couple of Jeep models! It should be noted that since Jeep continually comes in very low in JD Powers and most any other reliability poll, Ford doesn't need to set the bar very high to come out on top this time, but we'll see soon enough...

Anyway, you may have read about Ford having a set a date to unveil their new Bronco and as it got closer to that date, someone brought up the fact that the date they had selected was the same date of the infamous OJ slow chase...in that white BRONCO! (With Al Cowlings driving).

So the brain-trust at Ford, worried about public perception and wanting to be viewed as being so politically correct, quickly changed their announcement date.

And this is where I think thew blew it! What they should have done is made a Commercial with one of their new Broncos rolling slowly down the freeway, with police and highway patrols cars all following with their lights and sirens ablaze, helicopters buzzing all around, (coping the old OJ slow chase scene) and never showing exactly who is driving or in the vehicle, and then have the Bronco exit the freeway, then pull up at some swanky Hollywood Hotel and then have the cameras zoom in tight as the door opens and a bunch of reporters rush the passenger as he gets out and shows it to be Kevin Hart! And he'd be happy, smiling waving to the crowds, and telling all the reporters how much he LOVES THE NEW BRONCO....!

Hey Ford, feel free to use my idea, but I want some money if you do...!
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

As of this morning Ford has over 230k Bronco reservations.

In the middle of a once in a century Pandemic where the US economy contracted 9.5%.

I think Ford did just fine.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
As of this morning Ford has over 230k Bronco reservations.

In the middle of a once in a century Pandemic where the US economy contracted 9.5%.

I think Ford did just fine.

2021 is going to be an amazing year for car enthusiasts. Just a slew of updated, revised and new models. I was about to cave earlier in the year and pick up a new ride but in a roundabout way, the pandemic made me hold off on a purchase and is going to, instead, get me into a 2021 model of something or another.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
2021 is going to be an amazing year for car enthusiasts. Just a slew of updated, revised and new models. I was about to cave earlier in the year and pick up a new ride but in a roundabout way, the pandemic made me hold off on a purchase and is going to, instead, get me into a 2021 model of something or another.

It seems like dealers are hurting and there are some awesome deals to be had out there, what are some of the vehicles you are considering?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

It took forever for some to reserve the Bronco. Site crashed so many times.

Then there's so much confusion over the configuration page.

Let alone the Bronco being manual only for certain trims which turned customers off.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And this is where I think thew blew it! What they should have done is made a Commercial with one of their new Broncos rolling slowly down the freeway, with police and highway patrols cars all following with their lights and sirens ablaze, helicopters buzzing all around, (coping the old OJ slow chase scene) and never showing exactly who is driving or in the vehicle, and then have the Bronco exit the freeway, then pull up at some swanky Hollywood Hotel and then have the cameras zoom in tight as the door opens and a bunch of reporters rush the passenger as he gets out and shows it to be Kevin Hart! And he'd be happy, smiling waving to the crowds, and telling all the reporters how much he LOVES THE NEW BRONCO....!

That would be a great Super Bowl commercial. You should work in advertising, lol.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

I think what the Bronco shows is that.. any automaker who has historically made trucks/SUV’s that doesn’t produce a retro inspired truck/SUV right now is inept/incompetent. I’m looking straight at Chevrolet and Toyota as I say this.

And I bet Suzuki still wishes they sold cars here, just so they could sell the Jimny here
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

It seems like dealers are hurting and there are some awesome deals to be had out there, what are some of the vehicles you are considering?

I'm all over the place. It depends on my mood tbh lol. M340I. Rav4 Prime. Mustang E-Mach. I'm also thinking about leasing an Audi Etron. There are some insane lease deals on the Etron right now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Let alone the Bronco being manual only for certain trims which turned customers off.

I don't know what it is but to a manufacturer, car websites are so, SO bad. Like, fire the entire lot of them bad. They're all so cumbersome to navigate and even worse to compare models/trim levels.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
I think what the Bronco shows is that.. any automaker who has historically made trucks/SUV’s that doesn’t produce a retro inspired truck/SUV right now is inept/incompetent. I’m looking straight at Chevrolet and Toyota as I say this.

And I bet Suzuki still wishes they sold cars here, just so they could sell the Jimny here

Especially Toyota. Hell, they had one of the highest regarded SUV's ever in the FJ Cruiser and it was rocking the retro look way back in 2008. Bring it back with a slight refresh in the looks department, update the amenities and call it a day.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

https://autowise.com/suzuki-jimny-in-the-usa/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

fwiw, I love the new Bronco...or at least 2 of the 3 versions that I saw. I think it was the "sport" that I did not care much for as it reminded me of a meaner version of the Ford Escape.

I would love to have a restored 1st Generation Bronco....'68 or '69. The price on those in recent years has skyrocketed.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
fwiw, I love the new Bronco...or at least 2 of the 3 versions that I saw. I think it was the "sport" that I did not care much for as it reminded me of a meaner version of the Ford Escape.

I would love to have a restored 1st Generation Bronco....'68 or '69. The price on those in recent years has skyrocketed.

I’m particularly fond of the restorations done by Icon, as outrageously priced as they may be.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I'm all over the place. It depends on my mood tbh lol. M340I. Rav4 Prime. Mustang E-Mach. I'm also thinking about leasing an Audi Etron. There are some insane lease deals on the Etron right now.

Some interesting selections there and since you don't claim any loyalty to any one Mfg. you should have a fun time trying them out!

As you may recall, I came off of 16 years of driving BMW's and looked at the RAV4, and quickly scratched it off my list, so if you are considering BMW & Audi's I'm pretty sure you will arrive at the same conclusion.

This review is not of a "Prime", but the Prime is built on the same platform:
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/315753/2019-toyota-rav4-limited-review/
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Got my 4 door Bronco Badlands reservation in around midnight on the day of the reveal.

As JB said all auto manufacturers websites are hot garbage. The server crashing was expected haha.

2021 will be a hot year for cars assuming the virus doesn’t crush everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

Both Toyota and Chevrolet still sell pretty well. May not be worth the R&D.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I don't know what it is but to a manufacturer, car websites are so, SO bad. Like, fire the entire lot of them bad. They're all so cumbersome to navigate and even worse to compare models/trim levels.

What's especially eerie is how the website is VERY much like the brand.

Aston Martin - Very stylish, but doesn't work smoothly, more complicated than it has to be.
Toyota - Reliable, simple.
Porsche - Excellent, works well, high performance
Chevrolet - Works mostly, more complicated than necessary with options, needs tidying

etc.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

What's especially eerie is how the website is VERY much like the brand.

Aston Martin - Very stylish, but doesn't work smoothly, more complicated than it has to be.
Toyota - Reliable, simple.
Porsche - Excellent, works well, high performance
Chevrolet - Works mostly, more complicated than necessary with options, needs tidying

etc.

Interesting angle and I agree with it.

I'm staring at the Bronco model comparison page and half the features use internal nomenclature. I don't even know what those things even mean.

I found a link to a CnD article that does a much better job of giving an overview of what we're getting exactly with each different trim level.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33251176/2021-ford-bronco-trim-levels/
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Blew it Again...!

unleasHell wrote:

Picture a white bronco cruising down the freeway, then all of a sudden it makes a hard right and ends up off roading on a golf course. Catches some air jumping over a bunker and stops when there is a big splashing sound. Then all 4 doors open and out jumps the Goldman family, who congregate at the front of the truck looking down at a crushed carton of Orange Juice. Headline scrolls across the top of the screen "The Bronco is sure to make a splash" Goldman family jumps back in and drives off as a wrinkled glove is tossed out the window...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject:

New CEO. Stock price already changed.

DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Market Cap as of 8/20/20

Toyota....................$186.56B
Volkswagen.............$86.36B
General Motors........$41.26B
Hyundai..................$31.43B
Ford.......................$27.20B
Total......................$371.78B

Tesla......................$373.06B
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: