THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2359, 2360, 2361 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
As a side note, floating a bunch of candidates for a fair amount of time has allowed the team to see the reactions of Dems, independents, and the GOP to each and get a picture where they help and are vulnerable demographically and regionally. And format a game plan for the rollout of the selection. This is a quality brain trust he has, and I'm not going to second guess them without definitive reason.

Yes, I agree to a point. But the leaks coming from all sides right now are not flattering, either to the candidates or to the brain trust.

When old farts like Chris Dodd and Ed Rendell are tearing down these amazing black women candidates, it's not a good look.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
As a side note, floating a bunch of candidates for a fair amount of time has allowed the team to see the reactions of Dems, independents, and the GOP to each and get a picture where they help and are vulnerable demographically and regionally. And format a game plan for the rollout of the selection. This is a quality brain trust he has, and I'm not going to second guess them without definitive reason.

Yes, I agree to a point. But the leaks coming from all sides right now are not flattering, either to the candidates or to the brain trust.

When old farts like Chris Dodd and Ed Rendell are tearing down these amazing black women candidates, it's not a good look.

Those of us the left definitely need to put on a solidly unified front. The next 5 months are going to be ugly as (bleep) as it is. No reason to make it worse for the cause.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

I honestly believed that Chris Dodd had been dead for a while until he appeared in the news this week.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

Harris allies granted call with Biden campaign after Dodd blowup
Multiple prominent California politicians sang her praises to Biden's vetting team.
---

Allies of Kamala Harris sought and received a meeting with Joe Biden’s campaign staff this week after a leader of his vice presidential vetting team was quoted doubting whether she’d be a loyal No. 2.

Prominent supporters of the California senator asked for the virtual sit-down on the heels of a POLITICO report Monday that Harris is not a lock for VP. It quoted former Sen. Chris Dodd, one of four members of the vetting unit, remarking to a prominent Democratic donor that Harris had “no remorse” for attacking Biden during a debate last year. Biden’s campaign at the time viewed the attack — Harris went after Biden for opposing a school busing program — as a cheap shot contrived to make him look racially insensitive.

That story and another recent POLITICO report detailed that a contingent of Democrats is lobbying against Harris to be chosen as Biden’s running mate.

The conference call included several of the state’s highest-ranking elected officials and labor and business leaders, including Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis, Secretary of State Alex Padilla, San Francisco Mayor London Breed, state schools chief Tony Thurmond, state Treasurer Fiona Ma and Chad Griffin, a Democratic consultant and former head of Human Rights campaign, according to organizers.
. . .

Harris was not involved in organizing the call, they said.

A person on the call said Harris’ allies wanted the campaign to hear from people who know her best. The implication was that others who’ve criticized Harris to the media, and compared her unfavorably to another contender for VP from California, Rep. Karen Bass, were not providing an accurate reflection of Harris or her record.

. . .

“This was about us sharing how much Kamala would be a stellar vice president,” said one official who participated on the call, referencing Dodd’s earlier remarks.

“He spoke at length about her and said very nice things,” the person said of Dodd’s comments about Harris on the conference call.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

It's important to know that all of these leaks and such are part of the jockeying process between the candidates. They are undergoing a private version of the primary, with far fewer voters. It is very likely, for example, that the people leaking negative comments about Harris are Harris supporters, who are themselves working against Rice, and vice versa. I only used the top two names for examples as this is likely rampant throughout the list. THis is politics.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You can add Dana Milbank to that list. I won't give him credence by referencing his recent writings.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I dunno. Considering Trump's "love" for Bezos (Amazon), they are certainly one company that I trust won't skew and election for Trump. And because these company's are indeed profit motivated, and I don't think they want some kind of scandal about an election hanging over them, I think they can be depended upon in a pinch. Lastly, the USPS already relies on private mailers to assist them by providing discounted rates for processing (sorting, traying, delivering) the mail--the finer the processing, the greater the discount.

All good points. Ideally the USPS would have the capability to handle the mail in votes. But private mailers probably have priorities that align with the majority of voters in this election.

Lets just not make relying on them a regular thing once Dems take back power.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It's important to know that all of these leaks and such are part of the jockeying process between the candidates. They are undergoing a private version of the primary, with far fewer voters. It is very likely, for example, that the people leaking negative comments about Harris are Harris supporters, who are themselves working against Rice, and vice versa. I only used the top two names for examples as this is likely rampant throughout the list. THis is politics.

I'm confused about the bolded. Not saying you're wrong. I just don't understand.
Why would a person's supporters leak negative comments about the person they want as VP? And how does that work against the opponent?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'm fine with whoever he chooses. But the intra-party squabbling is giving me flashbacks.

My bet is on Karen Bass.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm confused about the bolded. Not saying you're wrong. I just don't understand.
Why would a person's supporters leak negative comments about the person they want as VP? And how does that work against the opponent?

He's saying (as an example) Harris' supporters are leaking negative comments made by Rice supporters about Harris -- to make Rice's side look bad.

(I have no idea if that's true...)
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

For instance when I saw that Chris Dodd quote about Harris not "apologizing" -- it didn't have the effect of making me turn against Harris, it made me mad that she was being held to a different standard than a male candidate. You would never ask a male candidate to apologize for executing good political strategy.

So maybe it was leaked by Harris' side to get through to people like me.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I think it is important for everyone who posts herein regularly to understand we do politics on a daily, hourly, even minutely, basis, while normal Americans might catch something on the news here and there. I'm sure Biden and his advisors understand this quite clearly, and can filter out this news-cycle noise when making policy decisions in general, and picking a VP specifically.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ideally the USPS would have the capability to handle the mail in votes. But private mailers probably have priorities that align with the majority of voters in this election.

Lets just not make relying on them a regular thing once Dems take back power.

I hope once Democrats regain political power--and maybe end up controlling all three branches--they will fix and fund the USPS.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

USPS has been under attack for years for not making money. It's not a business. It's a non profit organization. IMO it should be federally funded.

Ask yourself. If you want to mail something to a person in a remote African or Arctic village would Amazon or any private entity be able to deliver the mail? USPS can. Amazon, FedEx and like depend on USPS to deliver for them.

Still hanging with Susan Rice. I have a feeling it will be Kamala Harris. I can't put a finger on why but Elizabeth Warren just doesn't move the needle for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
USPS has been under attack for years for not making money. USPS is not a business. It's a non profit organization. IMO it should be federally funded.

Ask yourself. If you have a person in a remote African village would Amazon or any private entity be able to deliver the mail? USPS can. Amazon, FedEx and like depend on USPS to deliver for them.

Well, in reality, the USPS would not deliver to a remote African village. . . .

Theoretically, the USPS has been viewed as a stand-alone function. This is largely because of--yeah, here we go again--Republicans. They have (bleep) and moaned about the USPS since, at least, I have been an adult. Once Republicans got on their privatization kick, they have tried to shift the USPS to shed it government affiliation. A simple rule I have for most situations: Allow for private industry to control the manuafacture and distribution of goods and allow the government to control services. I don't trust private industry, especially a corporation with the singular goal of creating a profit for its shareholders, to run the fire department (if my house caught fire and it was called in at 1:00 and Taylor Swift's, at 1:15, I guess I get a pile of ashes--though why she would be in my district is hard to figure), just as I wouldn't trust a private mail delivery service to efficiently deliver a single piece of mail to a remote US location.

Last edited by ribeye on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
He's saying (as an example) Harris' supporters are leaking negative comments made by Rice supporters about Harris -- to make Rice's side look bad.

ChefLinda wrote:
For instance when I saw that Chris Dodd quote about Harris not "apologizing" -- it didn't have the effect of making me turn against Harris, it made me mad that she was being held to a different standard than a male candidate. You would never ask a male candidate to apologize for executing good political strategy.

Wow this is alot of 4D chess for a VP spot. But I guess it's worth it. There's been alot of talk that Biden won't run in 2024 if he wins in 2020. And in that case, the 2020 VP is a frontrunner for POTUS in 2024.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Now they're saying Biden is unlikely to announce VP pick before August 10.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Now they're saying Biden is unlikely to announce VP pick before August 10.

The appearance of indecisiveness is not going to help him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

ChefLinda wrote:

Wow this is alot of 4D chess for a VP spot. But I guess it's worth it. There's been alot of talk that Biden won't run in 2024 if he wins in 2020. And in that case, the 2020 VP is a frontrunner for POTUS in 2024.

Notice that those leaks brought about a conference call with Harris supporters and a push back of the announcement (which leads me to believe the pick is or at least was rice or a third candidate, as there’s no need to push if it was already Harris )
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

James Clyburn had an interesting take on the VP choice. He said in an MSNBC interview, paraphrasing a bit here, that there can be a difference between campaigning and governing. He said Biden will have no trouble putting together a good governing team/cabinet but something to the effect that you have to get elected first to do that. Said Biden is the most compassionate man ever but does not come across as having a lot of passion. He needs someone to help inspire people and who is good campaigner. I took that to mean he favors Harris. Just my take. And his is only one opinion but most felt his endorsement for the S Carolina primary was what got Biden on track for the nomination.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:
Well, in reality, the USPS would not deliver to a remote African village.

Just throwing out remotes. Let's say a remote Hawaiian village. My intent was to illustrate The Post Office Will Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Just throwing out remotes. Let's say a remote Hawaiian village. My intent was to illustrate The Post Office Will Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Then who would they be delivering to?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
James Clyburn had an interesting take on the VP choice. He said in an MSNBC interview, paraphrasing a bit here, that there can be a difference between campaigning and governing. He said Biden will have no trouble putting together a good governing team/cabinet but something to the effect that you have to get elected first to do that. Said Biden is the most compassionate man ever but does not come across as having a lot of passion. He needs someone to help inspire people and who is good campaigner. I took that to mean he favors Harris. Just my take. And his is only one opinion but most felt his endorsement for the S Carolina primary was what got Biden on track for the nomination.

I will support whoever he chooses, but I agree with Clyburn. And if you look at the field, Kamala Harris has the most charisma by far, IMO.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:

I will support whoever he chooses, but I agree with Clyburn. And if you look at the field, Kamala Harris has the most charisma by far, IMO.

As far as I'm aware, she also has the least negatives--at least those that will come from the right.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Then who would they be delivering to?

LINK

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2359, 2360, 2361 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2360 of 3663
Jump to: