The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't know if this has been offered. I watched The Shawshank Redemption again tonight. Takes a solid film for me to sit through it without getting bored. The movie was great. I believe Morgan Freeman won the Academy Award for best actor.

It's one of my kryptonite movies. If it pops up on cable, no matter where it is in the movie, I can't help but sit down and finish it. Same with The Fugitive.


Con Air

Sweet! Along with Face/Off and The Rock it's a trilogy of peak Nic before he married a Korean stripper and had to sell his private island due to unsustainable debt Cage.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 52603
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

The Samaritan, Samuel L Jackson. His ability to act shined in this one. It's about grifters. It's on Netflix.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Samaritan, Samuel L Jackson. His ability to act shined in this one. It's about grifters. It's on Netflix.

What's your favorite Sam Jackson performance?
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I should be allowed to slap the taste out of the mouths of every corporate lackey who greenlights ads on DVD/Blu-Rays. If I'm paying you for a physical copy of Phantom Thread, Universal, why in the hell do I get trailers for movies I will either never see or movies that I've seen and will never purchase? Hey, Thoroughbreds is good, but it isn't that good. Why not put up ads for truck nutz or whatever? Pure scum.

Brought to you by the guy who purchased a Phantom Thread Blu two years ago and is just now rewatching the movie because life sucks and Alma balms the soul (without ads that is).
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I should be allowed to slap the taste out of the mouths of every corporate lackey who greenlights ads on DVD/Blu-Rays. If I'm paying you for a physical copy of Phantom Thread, Universal, why in the hell do I get trailers for movies I will either never see or movies that I've seen and will never purchase? Hey, Thoroughbreds is good, but it isn't that good. Why not put up ads for truck nutz or whatever? Pure scum.

Brought to you by the guy who purchased a Phantom Thread Blu two years ago and is just now rewatching the movie because life sucks and Alma balms the soul (without ads that is).

Alma is maybe my favorite character from any movie made during the previous decade. Her smile.

And what a romantic comedy as romantic comedies for the most part are consigned to straight-to-VOD status these days. And it's so sexy and it hurts just right. What a picture.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 52603
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Samaritan, Samuel L Jackson. His ability to act shined in this one. It's about grifters. It's on Netflix.

What's your favorite Sam Jackson performance?

Shaft 2019

I'm going to watch Black Is King a film Beyonce. It's on Disney. Has anyone seen it?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 46094

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.

His next picture is set to star Bradley Cooper who doesn't inspire me in the least as a leading man (good comedic sidekick, though), but I'm fascinated to see how he plays in a PTA film.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

Some soon-to-be-leaving streaming notes:

The massive 14-hour Argentinian epic La Flor (2019) is streaming on Mubi in three segments set to leave the service next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It's a big commitment, but I've found it delightful for the first two hours and counting and 14 hours is about the length of a season of prestige tv, which folks will often binge over a weekend. If you're interested, start planning accordingly.

Leaving Mubi this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the blissfully short, vital snapshots of the Civil Rights Movement captured by Madeline Anderson, Integration Report 1 (1960), A Tribute to Malcolm X (1967), and I Am Somebody (1969). Great stuff.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8708
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


definitely missing a couple names there, but agree all around, pta is one of the goats, for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


definitely missing a couple names there, but agree all around, pta is one of the goats, for sure.

Who else do you think? Very interested to hear who else comes to mind for you.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8708
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


definitely missing a couple names there, but agree all around, pta is one of the goats, for sure.

Who else do you think? Very interested to hear who else comes to mind for you.


Jonathan Demme (close up's) and Kubrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 86723
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.

His next picture is set to star Bradley Cooper who doesn't inspire me in the least as a leading man (good comedic sidekick, though), but I'm fascinated to see how he plays in a PTA film.


PTA is a mixed bag for me. I loved him up through Punch Drunk Love. But since the mutual masturbation between he and DDL (and the cinematographer) in There will be Blood, he’s produced mostly pretentious dreck.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 52603
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

Black Is King is visually stunning. The message is lost in the films presentation. If you like pageantry you'll enjoy the film. If you want the message you have to pay close attention and follow the visuals. On a 1 to 10 I give the film 5.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

More things I don't get: almost everything by Straub/Huillet. I've watched some dry, boring (bleep) over the years, but I cannot sit and watch any of their Marxist anti-entertainment movies deconstructing Western art or whatever. The premises sound academically interesting, but in praxis they put me to sleep.

Give me hot dames with guns and designs on some cash any day over static live action productions of Antigone.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think Paul Thomas Anderson - trained under Robert Altman, devotee of Martin Scorsese - is one of the few American directors over the past thirty years to create classical Hollywood pictures with a modern sensibility on screen.

He merges Golden Age Hollywood and New Age Hollywood and makes it his own each time. What a great.


One of the greats. If I could see anybody’s new film I’d be most excited to see his.

His next picture is set to star Bradley Cooper who doesn't inspire me in the least as a leading man (good comedic sidekick, though), but I'm fascinated to see how he plays in a PTA film.


PTA is a mixed bag for me. I loved him up through Punch Drunk Love. But since the mutual masturbation between he and DDL (and the cinematographer) in There will be Blood, he’s produced mostly pretentious dreck.

I find most of his stuff really funny rather than pretentious, especially Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread. There are farts, pratfalls, pompous blowhards getting knocked down a peg or two, and a character named Reynolds Woodcock. Woodcock!

"Are you a special agent sent here to ruin my evening and possibly my entire life?"
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 10541

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject:

random, but I really really loved End of Watch
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27023

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Some soon-to-be-leaving streaming notes:

The massive 14-hour Argentinian epic La Flor (2019) is streaming on Mubi in three segments set to leave the service next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It's a big commitment, but I've found it delightful for the first two hours and counting and 14 hours is about the length of a season of prestige tv, which folks will often binge over a weekend. If you're interested, start planning accordingly.

Leaving Mubi this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the blissfully short, vital snapshots of the Civil Rights Movement captured by Madeline Anderson, Integration Report 1 (1960), A Tribute to Malcolm X (1967), and I Am Somebody (1969). Great stuff.

Well, I got about five hours into it and I'm out. It's ambitious and reasonably entertaining, but none of the material in its sprawling six part structure is good enough on its own (so far) to justify all 14 hours except if you're watching it at a really leisurely pace, say an hour here and there when you're bored spread out over several weeks.

I got bogged down at times binging all 18 hours of Twin Peaks: The Return last year, but even the weaker episodes had enough astounding moments to keep me pushing through to the truly mind blowing stuff. La Flor has four very talented actresses showing off their range in melodrama, horror, thriller, comedy, etc. yet the genre material they're working with in each film "exercise" is mostly only so-so (so far).
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 11740

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

If I may presume this thread to be the Film (and its Stars) thread, then this shirley belongs:

Eugene Levy Lifetime Achievement Award, with tributes from many of his friends and colleagues.
_________________
"In vino veritas, in regno Trumpi licentia"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81
Page 81 of 81
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB