2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The pitching staff has given up 13 runs in the first 6 games (counting today, but I’m not including extra inning runs because of the weird rule, and if this team had an offense today, this would be a win because the Astros only scored 1 run in the first 10 innings).

You should include the xtra innings (if they hold them scoreless), since that’s even tougher to do.

Anyways, haven’t seen the box scores yet but how do they score the xtra inning’s runs?

Is it an ER? Who is it charged to?

Just looked at the box score. Sneed gave up 3 runs but only 1 ER.

So guess the rules are no ER in xtra innings? Cuz the Rios HR definitely should be an ER. Unless the ESPN box score is wrong.

Well, just looked at the Nationals’ game: they scored 4 in the 10th, the opposing pitcher was charged with 3 ER.

Definitely weird how Sneed from the Astros wasn’t charged with an ER

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject:

Giants beat the Padres.

We’re tied with Padres now at 4-2

—-//————-///————

On another note, how stupid does Arenado look with Colorado’s hot start? Basically, he had no trust in his teammates

—-//————-///————

The NL was supposed to be weak and only a 1 team division. So far, it’s looking strong and a 3 team race. But, it’s still early, only 6 games in. We’ve beaten up on the AL West though.

—-//————-///————

Quote:
MLB mulling seven-inning doubleheaders, source says

NEW YORK -- Ernie Banks famously said: "Let's play two.''

Baseball players just might not want to play nine innings twice in one day during this pandemic-delayed season.

While the Cleveland Indians swept the Chicago White Sox in the first doubleheader of the season on Tuesday, union head Tony Clark called deputy commissioner Dan Halem and said players might want to consider shortened twin bills this year.

The players' association is surveying members and might propose either two seven-inning games for a doubleheader, or nine innings for the opener and seven for the nightcap.

Baseball’s about to get even weirder...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject:

Yes, if the runner that starts extra innings on 2nd base scores, that is not an earned run charged to the pitcher. However, they would still incur a Loss on their record if that runner does score and they are the pitcher of record.

I'm not sure how much longer I can watch Austin Barnes hit without throwing something at my television.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'm not sure how much longer I can watch Austin Barnes hit without throwing something at my television.

Well, brace yourself for Barnes being on the playoff roster. We have no Russell Martin this year so it’s going to be Barnes unless we make a trade.

I think we should feel lucky that Barnes isn’t left handed or he’d get more ABs in the playoffs.

Is Barnes the designated catcher for Mays? He’s started in both of Mays’ starts now. Doesn’t seem like a coincidence.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Giants beat the Padres.

—-//————-///————

On another note, how stupid does Arenado look with Colorado’s hot start? Basically, he had no trust in his teammates

—-//————-///————

The NL was supposed to be weak and only a 1 team division. So far, it’s looking strong and a 3 team race. But, it’s still early, only 6 games in. We’ve beaten up on the AL West though.

—-//————-///————

Quote:

Baseball players just might not want to play nine innings twice in one day during this pandemic-delayed season.

While the Cleveland Indians swept the Chicago White Sox in the first doubleheader of the season on Tuesday, union head Tony Clark called deputy commissioner Dan Halem and said players might want to consider shortened twin bills this year.

The players' association is surveying members and might propose either two seven-inning games for a doubleheader, or nine innings for the opener and seven for the nightcap.

I didn't really follow this offseason too closely . . . what did Nolan do/say?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Yes, if the runner that starts extra innings on 2nd base scores, that is not an earned run charged to the pitcher. However, they would still incur a Loss on their record if that runner does score and they are the pitcher of record.

Edwin had the first two-run homer to lead off an inning last night. #dodgerlegend

on a real note, so glad we kept him. He showed so much pop towards the end of last season. I just love his swing, if we adopt the DH full-time, he'd be an ideal option along with JT.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Giants beat the Padres.

—-//————-///————

—-//————-///————

—-//————-///————

Quote:

I didn't really follow this offseason too closely . . . what did Nolan do/say?

He pouted all offseason cuz he was dissatisfied with the lack of moves by the front office. He felt they weren’t doing what they promised him when he signed the extension, which was field a competitive team capable of competing for a title. There were rumors that he wanted to be traded.

He said he would be professional and show up to play.

Quote:
Nolan Arenado isn't happy after Rockies fail to make good on spending promises

Arenado's relationship with the team seemed to degrade during the 2019 season, as the Rockies slipped to fourth place after making the postseason in 2017 and 2018. Arenado expressed his frustrations in September

Arenado's disappointment also stems from an inactive winter on Colorado's part despite signaling from Bridich that the team would increase payroll, per ESPN's Jeff Passan. The Rockies entered Tuesday having signed one player to a big-league deal all offseason: right-hander Jose Mujica

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/nolan-arenado-isnt-happy-after-rockies-fail-to-make-good-on-spending-promises/

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

^yeah that was a long time coming. well hopefully the hot start leads to yet another flameout. . . . continue stoking the fire until he forces himself to us
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Last year it was Bellinger who started the year on fire and carried us. This year it's Seager and Pollock on fire.

Stripling looking like his All Star form from a couple years back. Stripling might be our no. 3 pitcher this year. Urias our no. 4.

-----------//----------------

Shane Bieber of the Indians is putting up ridiculous numbers. In this short season, it sounds ridiculous but he's definitely the front runner for Cy Young.

2 starts
27 K
1 BB
7 Hits
0 runs
14 innings
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Joe Kelly with a solid inning while appealing the suspension and Belli needs a day off or something, sure Rios can give you more discipline at the dish.

Does anyone know about the service for guys like Gonsolin and May being called up before August? I know Lux is being protected in that way but note sure how it applies in general.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Joe Kelly with a solid inning while appealing the suspension and Belli needs a day off or something, sure Rios can give you more discipline at the dish.

Does anyone know about the service for guys like Gonsolin and May being called up before August? I know Lux is being protected in that way but note sure how it applies in general.

Gonsolin is already 26, so I doubt there are any concerns about service time with him. Obviously, there are with Lux, and even May (he wouldn't be up if Kershaw had started on Opening Day).

Bellinger just looks lost. Has been off all summer, and that tinkering with his swing is not working. If this continues for another week or so, they may have to move him down in the order and move Seager up.

Betts will be fine. He's hitting a lot of balls hard and his AB's look good. Bellinger's do not. It's also worth pointing out that coming into the game last night, Will Smith was top-10 in all of baseball in hard-hit rate. And he drew 2 walks. So even though he's 1-for-13 this season, he's just running into some bad luck. Barnes, on the other hand, is just a disaster.

Solid outing from Stripling, even though the final line looks so-so.

Graterol had an easy 8-pitch 8th inning, and I'm glad to see that he got trusted with that inning, even though both Treinen and Jansen were unavailable today. I continue to be incredibly high on Graterol; it's just extremely difficult to barrel him up, and he doesn't walk people. Kelly is throwing almost as hard, but his fastball doesn't move as much, and his control is nowhere near as good as that of Graterol. Kelly basically is "effectively wild" even when he's going well. Personally, I'd like to see May, Graterol, and Treinen with prominent bullpen roles in the postseason. Just come at the other team with power arms with major movement.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject:

Some stats:

3 of the top 4 teams in run differential (in all of mlb) reside in the NL WEST. That says something.

Quote:
1) Dodgers: (+20)
2) San Diego: (+18)
3) Minnesota: (+14)
4) Colorado: (+12)
5) Tampa: (+10)

Conversely, 4 of the 5 teams in the AL WEST have negative run differentials. I bring this up because we play the AL WEST this year.

Quote:
1) Houston: (+8)
2) Oakland: (-3)
3) Texas: (-3)
4) Angels: (-4)
5) Seattle: (-15)

————————————————

Colorado is 4-1 this year (all on the road). Surprising stat is they’ve only given up 9 runs all year (lowest in mlb). That comes out to a 1.8 team ERA if all runs were earned.

Just looked it up, Cle has the lowest team ERA in MLB

1) Cle: (1.83)
2) Col: (1.84)
3) LAD: (2.15)

Cleveland traded away Corey Kluber and their pitching staff got better. If their pitching staff holds up (and it might in a 60 game season), they might be the team to beat in the AL.

—————————————-

This is how bad offenses have been in mlb to start the season:

We’re actually 6th in the league with a team batting avg of (.248)

Quote:

1) Boston: (.276)
2) Miami: (.267)
3) Seattle: (.260)
4) NY Mets: (.256)
5) Chi White Sox (.255)
6) Dodgers: (.248)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Last year it was Bellinger who started the year on fire and carried us. This year it's Seager and Pollock on fire.

All the while, Turner just continues to be his solid and steady self.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

What Justin Turner has done in his time in a Dodger uniform is amazing.

I am a huge fan of his, total pro.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ribeye wrote:

From a distance, I get the feeling he is even more important to the Dodgers off the field. Seems like the heartbeat of the team in recent years.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yup, doesn’t look like he’s lost anything hitting wise. Wonder what’s his price tag and if he will be brought back.

Kike, Joc, and Turner are free agents. We might want to get back under the luxury tax next year so they might all be gone.

Our lineup next year might be:

1B: Muncy
2B: Taylor
SS: Lux
3B: Seager
C: Smith
LF: Pollock
CF: Bellinger
RF: Betts
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

Cody’s been bad for months. Well before the end of last season. I’m pretty concerned.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cody’s been bad for months. Well before the end of last season. I’m pretty concerned.

I’m not. He’s a streaky dude but he’s always put up numbers in the reg season.

Postseason - he disappears. But, we’re used to it so that’s why I’m not worried.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Agreed. Never been too high on Cody. Enjoyed his rookie season and last year was incredible but I don’t have those kind of expectations for him. He’s way too streaky. Hope he proves me wrong though..I would’ve never expected the season he had last year so..

Still think Seager is our best bat and have said that multiple times. Can he stay healthy is the question. When he’s at full strength nobody except maybe Mookie swings that bat better on this team.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Haha, I used to feel the same exact way about Yasmani.

It sucks to see him struggle so much as he seems like a likable dude who is trying his best, but man, he's just not cutting it. And it's not like he hasn't had 2 full seasons to get his ish together either.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Haha, I used to feel the same exact way about Yasmani.

It sucks to see him struggle so much as he seems like a likable dude who is trying his best, but man, he's just not cutting it. And it's not like he hasn't had 2 full seasons to get his ish together either.

Grandal was a very good hitter for a catcher during the regular season. Then he turned into an absolute disaster during 4 postseasons for us. Like, seriously, a major disaster.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yup, doesn’t look like he’s lost anything hitting wise. Wonder what’s his price tag and if he will be brought back.

Kike, Joc, and Turner are free agents. We might want to get back under the luxury tax next year so they might all be gone.

Our lineup next year might be:

1B: Muncy
2B: Taylor
SS: Lux
3B: Seager
C: Smith
LF: Pollock
CF: Bellinger
RF: Betts

I think you could see Turner re-sign, particularly if they keep the DH for next season and beyond. I agree that Joc and Kike are almost certainly gone. Rios could be an option to play third base and basically replace Joc as a lefty power threat in the lineup. Perhaps Rios at third against righties, Turner DH's, and Seager stays at SS with Lux/Taylor handling second base. With Taylor also getting work in LF.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Barnes "hitting" is about as successful as my "fishing"
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I guess Barnes is the designated catcher for the young guys? He's caught all 3 games started by Mays and Gonsolin so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 13 of 300
Jump to: