Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Perry Mason on HBO is good. It's really really good.
But I have a feeling that if you loved the original show, you won't like it.
I never watched the original show, so that's not a problem for me.

It's a spiritual successor to Boardwalk Empire. Not just because of the overlapping actors/actresses. Not just because of the time period. But because of the way it is shot.

It takes ALOT for an actor to replace Robert Downey Jr. in a role and I don't feel slighted or jaded. But Matthew Rhys is so good. It doesn't bother me.

I started watching but stopped. I'll have to start from the beginning.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's a spiritual successor to Boardwalk Empire. Not just because of the overlapping actors/actresses. Not just because of the time period. But because of the way it is shot.

It takes ALOT for an actor to replace Robert Downey Jr. in a role and I don't feel slighted or jaded. But Matthew Rhys is so good. It doesn't bother me.

I thought that the first episode was horrible but now I look forward to Sunday nights.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I thought that the first episode was horrible but now I look forward to Sunday nights.

agree that it has improved in recent weeks.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have 2 questions for both of you. For my own edification.
1) Did you watch the original Perry Mason?
2) And if so, did he become a lawyer in that show as well?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I watched it because it was on the television (reruns) when I was a child....I recall some of the characters, but I was not really old enough to understand the show well. That said, he was always a lawyer in the original television show. The HBO show is a prequel of the character on the original show. On the original show, Mason references serving in the military before becoming a lawyer, but I never recall him mentioning being a PI.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Good to hear. I'm only two episodes in, and while it maintains my interest, it does so just barely. Perry has not been a likeable protagonist, and typically, this requires the supporting cast, the writing, or the director to make up for it. They really haven't. Creepy characters can help make a show exceptional, but it is not as easy when they all are*.

I watched the original a bit but did not expect this to emulate it, so I don't think this is a factor, one way or the other.

*Della appears to be the exception, but her role has been so minor. I expect to see more of her and can hope that we begin to see another side of Mr. Mason or some growth.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Perry has not been a likeable protagonist,

In what sense? Just wondering.
Are you saying you dislike him because of the actor, or the writing for the actor, or just the premise for his character all together?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Perry has not been a likeable protagonist,

In what sense? Just wondering.
Are you saying you dislike him because of the actor, or the writing for the actor, or just the premise for his character all together?

Rhys is a fine actor and, I assume, is only going where the writers and the director take him. Good vs evil works so much better when there is good to play off of. Remember now, I've only seen two episodes.

I suspect (hope) that he will develop into one of these modern complex flawed (but likeable) characters.

Last edited by ribeye on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I watched it because it was on the television (reruns) when I was a child....I recall some of the characters, but I was not really old enough to understand the show well. That said, he was always a lawyer in the original television show. The HBO show is a prequel of the character on the original show. On the original show, Mason references serving in the military before becoming a lawyer, but I never recall him mentioning being a PI.

I have watched every episode of the original, Perry was always an attorney. You are correct that the only background Gardner provided was that Perry was in the military, that gives current writers a lot of liberties. It is fun for me that the originals were written in downtown Ventura. The one character I have issues with is Paul Drake. I have no issues with him being black but the playboy Drake in the original was part of the allure.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I have watched every episode of the original, Perry was always an attorney. You are correct that the only background Gardner provided was that Perry was in the military, that gives current writers a lot of liberties. It is fun for me that the originals were written in downtown Ventura. The one character I have issues with is Paul Drake. I have no issues with him being black but the playboy Drake in the original was part of the allure.

Did he have an arch nemesis in the originals?
Was it a copper? A wise guy? lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes. DA Hamilton Burger played by William Whitney Talman Jr.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I have HULU I already saw tonight's The Chi episode. They finally show Keisha's abductor. I thought Ronnie was going to find her.

It's not a swift series but has enough mystery to be compelling. Many story lines from gangsta to teenagers.

What makes the show believable are the characters. They look like average everyday people. Cute, not so cute, fat, not so fat. None are Hollywood beauties.

Writers leave enough uncovered to have audiences want to tune in again to see what's next.

Ronnie was so close...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kind of. It was DA Hamilton Burger, though it was competition built on respect. They would fight it out in court and then have dinner together. Burger has already had a cameo in the HBO series.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Important life update from life reviewer, Forrest MacNeil:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I have HULU I already saw tonight's The Chi episode. They finally show Keisha's abductor. I thought Ronnie was going to find her.

It's not a swift series but has enough mystery to be compelling. Many story lines from gangsta to teenagers.

What makes the show believable are the characters. They look like average everyday people. Cute, not so cute, fat, not so fat. None are Hollywood beauties.

Writers leave enough uncovered to have audiences want to tune in again to see what's next.

Ronnie was so close...

When she screamed didn't Ronnie say "Keisha?" I thought he'd be coming back. I thought the coach was the kidnapper. Turns out he's a stalker.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ronnie was so close...

When she screamed didn't Ronnie say "Keisha?" I thought he'd be coming back. I thought the coach was the kidnapper. Turns out he's a stalker.

i thought it was the coach also....where did this guy get all the track suits?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ronnie was so close...

i thought it was the coach also....where did this guy get all the track suits?

He's obsessed with Keisha. He said he watched her run track. I guess when he bought things to make her into his image he probably included her track uniforms.

By The By. Remember we talked about Keisha's nude scenes and I thought a person had to be at least 18 to make them. I looked up Birgundi Baker age. I couldn't believe it. She's 28.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

Season 5 of Last Chance U (Netflix) has been released! Focuses on Laney College in Oakland, CA this season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Season 5 of Last Chance U (Netflix) has been released! Focuses on Laney College in Oakland, CA this season.

Might check that out! I got a little worn out with that southern college after a couple seasons.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

late to the game but killing eve is really good so far

also my new breaking bad vs better call saul take is that the real skyler equivalent in bcs is chuck
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Might check that out! I got a little worn out with that southern college after a couple seasons.

This is the final football season (for now)....next season will focus on a JUCO basketball program.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if The Chi has aired so I won't reveal anything. It was a good show. Looks like La La Anthony's character, Dom, is going to get more play. Camille and Douda are going at it for Mayor. My man Big Poppa's in love.

EDIT: The show aired Sunday. Ronnie said he couldn't leave Chi because he had something to do. It was to find Keisha. He did.

Ronnie found Keisha. She beat Omar, the abductor, down with a crow bar. She and Ronnie were loaded into ambulances. I didn't see what happened to Omar. I wonder if Keisha killed him?

Emmett said he was going to be true to Tiffany, NOT. He hooked up with Dom after the catered dinner. The card reader was on point.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed first 2 seasons of Killing Eve, first more than the second. Haven’t gotten around to the third yet though.

Just started Umbrella Academy s2 and liking it so far. Season 1 was a very pleasant surprise.

Hanna on Prime was great, s2 even better than s1. I can’t wait for s3.

Bout to finish Kingdom s2 as well, and it’s a really solid mma show.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I enjoyed first 2 seasons of Killing Eve, first more than the second. Haven’t gotten around to the third yet though.

Just started Umbrella Academy s2 and liking it so far. Season 1 was a very pleasant surprise.

I'll give it a peek. I'll start on season 1.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I'll give it a peek. I'll start on season 1.

Finished S2/E4 of Umbrella Academy. I'm enjoying it so far. The plot is reminding me of that Hulu series "1963" based on the Stephen King novel.

Klaus and Number 5 have become my favorite characters.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 40 of 110
Jump to: