John Lewis has passed. RIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Quote:
"I believe race is too heavy a burden to carry into the 21st century. It's time to lay it down. We all came here in different ships, but now we're all in the same boat" -
@RepJohnLewis
(1940-2020)

That says it all.

Indeed!
I look forward to the day when we are united as Americans and properly value our wealth of diversity.
Same boat, and all.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Quote:
"I believe race is too heavy a burden to carry into the 21st century. It's time to lay it down. We all came here in different ships, but now we're all in the same boat" -
@RepJohnLewis
(1940-2020)

That says it all.

Indeed!
I look forward to the day when we are united as Americans and properly value our wealth of diversity.
Same boat, and all.

We currently value our diversity of wealth. Does that count?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Sitting here for some reason John Lewis crossed my mind. I've seen, heard and been around civil rights leaders of different races and times. John Lewis was the kind of man that reminded me of why I chose my church home.

I'd visited many churches and denominations. Episcopal, Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal-Holiness, Protestant, to name a few.

Churches I visited the ministers just didn't seem believable. My impression was they were on a job not in a pulpit.

When I walked into the sanctuary of the Church Of God In Christ in Los Angeles I honestly felt like a spirit physically grabbed me. I knew I was home. Bishop Charles E Blake's delivery impressed me. He seemed to believe what he was saying.

That's what I got from John Lewis, I felt him believable. He didn't sound or act like a man trying to make an impression. He impressed me as a man saying what he meant and believing what he said.

Representative Lewis was a man of vision and honor. I don't see his like in the House of Representatives. He's irreplaceable. I hope he's replicated by someone in the House

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Double post. Posted in PT not thinking.

Gianna Floyd sitting on Stephen Jackson's shoulder saying "Daddy gonna change the world" is oh so true. John Lewis has been a equal right advocate for years.

Virginia high school named for Robert E. Lee will be renamed for Rep. John Lewis

LINK

Quote:
Other names considered included:

Barack Obama
Cesar Chavez
Mildred Loving
Central Springfield
Legacy

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

John Lewis Lying in State in Capitol Rotunda ceremony happening. Trump did not make an appearance. Mitch McConnell spoke.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

the Selma bridge crossing yesterday was very moving. Lewis...draped in the American Flag being honored by the country crossing the Pettus bridge was a very powerful image. I only wished it would have happened on a weekday in a non Covid world during the school year which would have allowed it to be aired in schools. A lot of important teaching could have taken place that would have been enhanced by the real time images.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
the Selma bridge crossing yesterday was very moving. Lewis...draped in the American Flag being honored by the country crossing the Pettus bridge was a very powerful image. I only wished it would have happened on a weekday in a non Covid world during the school year which would have allowed it to be aired in schools. A lot of important teaching could have taken place that would have been enhanced by the real time images.

The use of Black Horses sent a message. LINK

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

And the red rose petals to symbolize the blood he and others shed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

And the red rose petals to symbolize the blood he and others shed.

Wow! I didn't think of that. Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

John Lewis is the first Black lawmaker to lie in state at the Capitol Rotunda.

Elijah Cummings was the the first Black lawmaker to lie in state in the Capitol ever when he was honored but in the National Statuary Hall last Oct.

Trump didn't bother to attend either.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

President Obama about to speak at John Lewis's funeral.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: