"Basketball Reasons" revisited (venting).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Obviously the circumstances behind it were frustrating but in a different media environment we wouldn’t even have known that a deal that wasn’t finalized had been initially agreed upon. I think people tend to think about it like an executed trade that got canceled rather than a deal that passed one major hurdle before reaching one it never would have cleared anyway.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Obviously the circumstances behind it were frustrating but in a different media environment we wouldn’t even have known that a deal that wasn’t finalized had been initially agreed upon. I think people tend to think about it like an executed trade that got canceled rather than a deal that passed one major hurdle before reaching one it never would have cleared anyway.

I was in the car, driving back to LA from a meeting in Fontana when Mason & Ireland announced the deal on their show. For the next 45 ish minutes, there is whooping & hollering, national commentators coming on crowning the Lakers, etc., and as their show is ending, Ireland goes "WHAT??? They've cancelled the trade??? How can they do that???"

So it wasn't a deal that fell apart.

BOTH teams had announced it.

Stern had given the GM full authority to execute deals.

It was ONLY after Gilbert's letter went out that things unraveled.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ocho wrote:

I was in the car, driving back to LA from a meeting in Fontana when Mason & Ireland announced the deal on their show. For the next 45 ish minutes, there is whooping & hollering, national commentators coming on crowning the Lakers, etc., and as their show is ending, Ireland goes "WHAT??? They've cancelled the trade??? How can they do that???"

No, neither team had announced it. Woj announced it through sources but it wasn’t official yet. No deal is official until it is signed off by ownership and a trade call is conducted. GMs agreeing is simply one hurdle to clear. Stern hadn’t signed off and there was no trade call. And the theory that Gilbert’s letter had anything to do with it has been debunked.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

The talk at the time was that other teams had an issue with the Lakers cutting salary more than improving the team. Especially when they had just hammered out a revenue sharing plan.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was much better than anyone Paul played with on the Clippers and at New Orleans. I was more skeptical of Paul working out with Harden but the Rockets were really good with both of them; Golden State just happened to be in the way.

But both Dwight and Bynum disappointed me and I have serious doubts the team gets by OKC, the Spurs and the Heat.

Wonder if Donald Sterling would still be in the league. With things the way they are today it looks even worse that the league and other owners were so willing to help him out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject:

The clippers should never be at where they are today. They have been completely built and manufactured by the nba. Stern and silver built that team to upsurp the lakers. Stern gifted theM cp3 and silver removed an incompetent owner who had no intention of selling the team with a competent overly excited, annoying, little troll who stops at nothing to steal limelight from the lakers in their own city. I wouldn’t mind ballmer if he moved the team to Seattle. But the fact that he bought our old home. And now is going to go through with the stadium Seems like he is here for the long run. I really hate the clippers franchise. From top to bottom.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
The clippers should never be at where they are today. They have been completely built and manufactured by the nba. Stern and silver built that team to upsurp the lakers. Stern gifted theM cp3 and silver removed an incompetent owner who had no intention of selling the team with a competent overly excited, annoying, little troll who stops at nothing to steal limelight from the lakers in their own city. I wouldn’t mind ballmer if he moved the team to Seattle. But the fact that he bought our old home. And now is going to go through with the stadium Seems like he is here for the long run. I really hate the clippers franchise. From top to bottom.

I'd rather see the Celtics win a championship than the Clippers at this point.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

The NBA desperately wants 2 successful franchises each in LA and NYC. It’s been obvious for the past decade.

I’m surprised neither the nets nor the clippers have actually won or even reached the conference or NBA finals with all the engineered advantages.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

The NBA desperately wants 2 successful franchises each in LA and NYC. It’s been obvious for the past decade.

I’m surprised neither the nets nor the clippers have actually won or even reached the conference or NBA finals with all the engineered advantages.

They can have all their advantages. I'm just mad we let a Laker legend like Jerry West go there. Buying the Forum is just billionaire trollery.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
They can have all their advantages. I'm just mad we let a Laker legend like Jerry West go there. Buying the Forum is just billionaire trollery.

That one really bugs me too. Imo, it got them to be perceived as a serious and credible organization. What a shame it was to let the logo go to the Clippers when he was asking to come back to the Lakers.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

There’s a very good reason Ballmer bought The Forum and it had nothing to do with trolling.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

There’s a very good reason Ballmer bought The Forum and it had nothing to do with trolling.

He bought the forum because we wanted to go through with his stadium in Inglewood. When msg had the forum lawsuits were flying around ballmer to prevent that from happening. IMO. Dolan literally (bleep) us by selling the forum to him. Now that ballmer has it. His stadium basically has a green light. It’s not right. The clippers were tolerable when they were losing. There is no room for 2 successful basketball teams in so cal. It’s only the lakers that belong in so cal

Also. For letting Jerry go to the clippers. You can blame magic Johnson for that one
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

He bought the forum because we wanted to go through with his stadium in Inglewood. When msg had the forum lawsuits were flying around ballmer to prevent that from happening. IMO. Dolan literally (bleep) us by selling the forum to him. Now that ballmer has it. His stadium basically has a green light. It’s not right. The clippers were tolerable when they were losing. There is no room for 2 successful basketball teams in so cal. It’s only the lakers that belong in so cal

Also. For letting Jerry go to the clippers. You can blame magic Johnson for that one

What you’re describing is not trollery, which is what I was responding to. Ballmer would have preferred to go ahead with his plans without buying The Forum. It had nothing to do with us.

As far as there being two successful teams, I don’t see what the problem is. If the Clippers win a championship, most of the people who will celebrate it are employed by the Clippers (plus a handful of bandwaggoners and contrarians). They don’t have any real connection to the city. I don’t see them as different from any other team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ocho wrote:

No, neither team had announced it. Woj announced it through sources but it wasn’t official yet. No deal is official until it is signed off by ownership and a trade call is conducted. GMs agreeing is simply one hurdle to clear. Stern hadn’t signed off and there was no trade call. And the theory that Gilbert’s letter had anything to do with it has been debunked.

It was a mess of a situation. Stern should have made it clear when the league bought the team that he act as owner to approve trades (or actually I think he should have appointed an overseer for that role). Later, Stern threw Dell Demps, the GM, under the bus. Stern did a great job for the league from a business standpoint, but he was a micromanaging control freak who always seemed a little slimy to me.

His decision would have been more palatable if the Pelicans would able to swing a clearly better deal for Paul, but they didn't.

I'm over the deal, but I never have a moment when I am sad Stern isn't around anymore.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ocho wrote:

It was a mess of a situation. Stern should have made it clear when the league bought the team that he act as owner to approve trades (or actually I think he should have appointed an overseer for that role). Later, Stern threw Dell Demps, the GM, under the bus. Stern did a great job for the league from a business standpoint, but he was a micromanaging control freak who always seemed a little slimy to me.

His decision would have been more palatable if the Pelicans would able to swing a clearly better deal for Paul, but they didn't.

I'm over the deal, but I never have a moment when I am sad Stern isn't around anymore.

The issue is there was no acting "owner" for the trade negotiations. The trade was agreed to by the existing report structure by both teams and submitted to the league to initiate the trade call, at which point Stern stepped in as acting owner when the trade ended up on his desk.

The question is whether Demps was empowered to enact trades without "ownership" signoff until it was inconvenient for the league.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ocho wrote:

The issue is there was no acting "owner" for the trade negotiations. The trade was agreed to by the existing report structure by both teams and submitted to the league to initiate the trade call, at which point Stern stepped in as acting owner when the trade ended up on his desk.

The question is whether Demps was empowered to enact trades without "ownership" signoff until it was inconvenient for the league.

That was the issue. If Stern was to approve trades as the owner and exercise veto power, that should have been made clear when the league bought the team. But, still, I think Stern should have appointed a third party to act in that role rather than do it himself.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
[His decision would have been more palatable if the Pelicans would able to swing a clearly better deal for Paul, but they didn't.

Maybe in hindsight but at the time the Clippers package was considered a better one. Gordon was seen as a blue chipper and was on a rookie deal plus they received a lottery pick. New Orleans wasn’t even getting the second best guy in the trade in Gasol.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
[His decision would have been more palatable if the Pelicans would able to swing a clearly better deal for Paul, but they didn't.

Maybe in hindsight but at the time the Clippers package was considered a better one. Gordon was seen as a blue chipper and was on a rookie deal plus they received a lottery pick. New Orleans wasn’t even getting the second best guy in the trade in Gasol.

Gordon looked like an up-and-comer to be sure.

However, our deal would have given them a 20 ppg in Kevin Martin; an 18 ppg. in Luis Scola; and Lamar, coming off his sixth man of the year award.

The Clippers deal gave them more youth, which on paper looked paper for a rebuilding team, but it wasn't like one deal was night-and-day better than the other.

Anyway, it's old news now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

How you know that? Magic wasn't in charge when West was allowed to just leave because he and Phil clashed and also because he was owed money (in West's mind if not in reality) by Dr. Buss. Jeanie is in charge. That probably came from her. Her man is the guy that West despised.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

That was the issue. If Stern was to approve trades as the owner and exercise veto power, that should have been made clear when the league bought the team. But, still, I think Stern should have appointed a third party to act in that role rather than do it himself.

Winning point. And now he's dead due to death reasons. Good rids.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
999 wrote:

How you know that? Magic wasn't in charge when West was allowed to just leave because he and Phil clashed and also because he was owed money (in West's mind if not in reality) by Dr. Buss. Jeanie is in charge. That probably came from her. Her man is the guy that West despised.

It did come from Jeanie and it was an emotional decision, not a business decision.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

He got a massive return on their investment by selling for nearly 400 million. All without dealing with the headaches of running a concert business in the area.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

The Nets have gone to the Finals a couple of times,and they are probably the only team capable of going to the playoffs with KD and Kyrie on the roster now....the Knicks have been a huge joke on the area post 1999 season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
999 wrote:

The Nets have gone to the Finals a couple of times,and they are probably the only team capable of going to the playoffs with KD and Kyrie on the roster now....the Knicks have been a huge joke on the area post 1999 season.

Sure. I meant recently as the Brooklyn Nets, not the NJ Nets.

Past decade with the ownership changes, engineered trades, FAs.

They want 4 successful franchises in the 2 biggest markets.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
999 wrote:

Jerry asked to come back to the lakers. Magic said no. Magic was vp at the time he Could have made that call for him to come back.

Someone said it was Jeanie that said no. I think Jeanie is what she has been since her brother was running the team. Just someone to sign the checks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: