anyone here gone back to the gym?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: anyone here gone back to the gym?

i went back for a week after they lifted the ban 3 weeks ago. i stopped after new cases spiked couple weeks ago and been pressured not to go from home. my body really needs the gym, i've bought several exercise equipment during the stay-home months, but they're not working for me. my weight is been on a constant incline since the virus broke out. i want to go back to gym so bad, that's the only way that was able to keep my weight in check from my experience. anyone here had gone back working out at gyms? how comfortable are you in doing so?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

My gym froze everyone’s account during the shutdown and reopened the second they were able to “suggesting” people wear masks but not requiring it. I emailed them to say they can keep my account frozen because that policy is insane. I must not have been the only one because a few days later they sent an email out to members saying masks were now required.

Personally I still don’t think it’s safe and won’t be going back until cases drop considerably. A gym is just about the worst place to be right now. I’m getting by just fine with workouts at home.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

Nautilus Smith Machine and a Peloton.
I won't be returning to the gym.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

NO
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

My Equinox location never reopened, but I canceled last week. Seems insane to me that bars and restaurants are closed but they leave gyms open.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

Don't do it. Hard to find a worse place to go.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Nope. I won't be going until I can get a vaccine. I just use some free weights at home and swim
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I have not (getting by with kettlebells, bodyweight stuff and a pull-up bar; plus running is my primary workout activity) but I have started going back to yoga classes.

I'll probably get some flack for it but at the end of the day I'm willing to go for various reasons:

1) I don't live in a major city and there have only been about 1500 cases total in the county that I live in.

2) The overall benefits I get from yoga outweigh the risk of catching the virus, IMO. I live alone and admittedly have a seriously lackluster social life, so being able to have even that minimal sort of social interaction with people I recognize is extremely valuable to me. Plus the physical, mental, emotional health benefits from yoga itself.

3) There are only about 5-15 people in each class and the studio has implemented other reasonable policies (no locker room use, masks at all times except during class, etc).

I guess my main reason for posting this is that IMO, at a certain point an activity like going to the gym (i.e., an activity that has clear health benefits in many respects) may have enough value to you personally that it's worth the risk. But it does of course depend on many factors (how widespread the virus is where you live, precautions you and the gym are taking, how crowded the gym is, etc).
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I go to orangetheory fitness in Hawaii and it's reopened for two weeks now. I've been getting my sprints in.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:

No

I used to go once a week, and I worked out the very last night before they closed due to the pandemic. On that last night I scouted the gym floor prior to working out, and since few members were exercising, I decided to stay.

My gym is scheduled to reopen, but I think I'll pass for now. In fact, I might even skip workouts until sometime in 2021.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

Yes, my recliner is COVID free.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

FYI:

Texas Medical Association risk chart

What should be obvious to most, gyms are a bad place to be right now.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

Couple friends of mine went recently and described all the safety precautions their gyms are doing...yet they still had a ton of people in there and masks weren't consistent. Spacing horrible (far too many people in despite putting limits/appointments in place). Really, really bad idea right now.

I'm fortunate to live near hills and trails, so outdoors, wind blowing...very few people around... put in a couple of hours at a time and I'm good.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I invested in a lot of free weights and a squat rack so I don’t think I’ll be going back. A gym friend that I follow on SM was back in the gym a week or 2 ago when they re-opened. Today he posted that he’s recovering from covid19, along with his son. They seem to be doing fine now, but who knows if he caught it from the gym or gave it to anyone else at the gym...? Hard to say and to me that uncertainty tells me that I’m not going back to the gym probably for the rest of 2020. I’m not worried about myself, I’m 33 and very active/healthy, but my parents are both around 60 and I see them occasionally so I do my best to not put them at risk.

I would say until a vaccine is available that the gym isn’t a great idea. Or at least carry sanitizer to wipe everything before touching it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: