Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
You whiskey guys should try Bushido Whiskey. I would personally never pay for it (way out of my price range) but I've had the chance to try some and it was the smoothest whiskey I've had by a mile.

I've had their Meido and it was very nice.

BTW, you gotta get the spelling right. In Ireland and the US it’s whiskey, but in Scotland, Canada and Japan, it’s whisky.

Also BTW, if you REALLY want to go crazy, you go here: LINK

Good lawd. I'd feel guilty drinking that.

In my younger days as a server I helped work a private party where a law firm had won a huge case and the partners were drinking like they had just won the Stanley Cup including bottles of the most expensive wine we had. It went for over three hours and one of the sloshed dudes (they were all dudes) told me to just start pouring the remaining partiers the "cheap stuff" and bottle the really expensive stuff for me and the servers to take home because the partners were so sloshed that in his slurred words, "we can't tell the difference between a $1,000 and a $10 wine at this point."

Yeah, once the REAL buzz kicks in for me my standards go right out the window. Bud light, PBR, boxed wine, whiskey from brands that come in plastic...give it all to me.

For a few years, my company used to have its holiday party at an exclusive cigar club that had an extensive collection of high-end scotch. I think it was the third year that things git out of hand. The first couple of years there was a set "menu" of cigars and liquors - some really fine stuff, but not the really good stuff. I don't know if that third year our EP just got relaxed and figured people would be reasonable or someone just forgot to "set the menu", but the whole bar was open. Which was great for those of us who truly enjoy scotch. It was a rare chance to try things we were aware of, but not really in the position to ever enjoy. So we were respectful and would order really nice stuff like older Sherry Oak Macallan and a couple of times a few of us would share a glass of stuff like the No.6 and M just to sample - didn't want to be greedy and rude.

However, word got out that they were serving really expensive scotch and some idiots (who weren't even really into it) started just ordering 25 year old Sherry Oak and doing them as shots and doing stupid stuff like order whisky sours with Rare Cask and it just got out of hand. A few days later, a few of us were talking about it with the executive assistant who set the party up and she told us the final tab for food, cigars and bar was way into the upper 6 figures . . . so needless to say that was the last year the party was at the club.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I am by no means a connoisseur. In this case it's all about curiosity. If you have any Sake on hand, heat some and take in down neat. See if that makes a difference in jolt.

I don't have any here, but next time I pick some up, I can try. First I'd have to research whether certain sakes are preferred for warm, and others are supposed to be drunk cold.

Quote:

By the Bye
LC. You've must be seriously practicing Stay At Home. I've never seen you so available. Stay Safe

Thanks! Except for runs to the grocery store or to pick up food, I've barely left the house since the first week of March.

I'm not a big sake guy, but from my experience, that is how it works. You don't take just any sake and heat it up and same with chilled sake. Each sake is supposed to be served at a specific temperature (chilled, room temp or warmed) based on how it is made; just rice, distilled alcohol infused, or how the rice treated.

Hot sake is the cheap stuff. It's heated because it's the only way to make it drinkable.

I could go into further details but the truth is all you need to do is look at a menu to understand. The list of good sakes will look like a regular wine list. Name of the brand, price per glass/bottle, maybe ABV and some flavor descriptions.

Now take a look at the selection of hot sakes. 99.9% of the time, that section will consist of two options. Small or large.

Its no different than walking into a restaurant and their beverage options just said 'wine' or 'beer' or 'whiskey'.

And Jodeke, the hot sake hit you harder because sake is higher ABV than wine. Heating it is also a contributing factor.

Thanks for the clarification.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
And Jodeke, the hot sake hit you harder because sake is higher ABV than wine. Heating it is also a contributing factor.

Still trying to figure that last part out. Is it because it aeorsolizes more of the alcohol, and you therefore breathe more in and absorb through your lungs rather than through your stomach?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Still trying to figure that last part out. Is it because it aeorsolizes more of the alcohol, and you therefore breathe more in and absorb through your lungs rather than through your stomach?

It might just be the reaction to drinking hot liquid.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Had 4 friends over. Spent $100 on 2 bottles of Ron Zapaca 23 Solera rum. Played some good music. And had a blast last night.
Started with shots, and then my wife and 3 of her girlfriends made dark rum mojitos out of it. Which kinda hurt. Cause my buddy and I could drink a whole bottle neat.
But, we all had fun. So it's all good.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

During the pandemic, I decided to venture out of the world of scotch. I've been experimenting the cognac, armagnac and mezcal.

I picked up a bottle of Casamigos Mezcal Joven. I wanted to like it, and I did like it, but with some reservation. I enjoy a nice peaty scotch, and on that note Casamigos is very smokey. What left me wanting was that there wasn't much depth beyond the smoke taste, no texture. I'd recommend it as a good cigar mezcal. For me, a cigar kills the complexity of your drink, but then something with a smokey bite is the perfect compliment.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
During the pandemic, I decided to venture out of the world of scotch. I've been experimenting the cognac, armagnac and mezcal.

I picked up a bottle of Casamigos Mezcal Joven. I wanted to like it, and I did like it, but with some reservation. I enjoy a nice peaty scotch, and on that note Casamigos is very smokey. What left me wanting was that there wasn't much depth beyond the smoke taste, no texture. I'd recommend it as a good cigar mezcal. For me, a cigar kills the complexity of your drink, but then something with a complimentary bite is the perfect compliment.

I could be wrong but what you're missing is in the name. Joven. It's an unaged tequila that doesn't spend any time in a cask.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I picked up a bottle of Casamigos Mezcal Joven. I wanted to like it, and I did like it, but with some reservation. I enjoy a nice peaty scotch, and on that note Casamigos is very smokey. What left me wanting was that there wasn't much depth beyond the smoke taste, no texture. I'd recommend it as a good cigar mezcal. For me, a cigar kills the complexity of your drink, but then something with a complimentary bite is the perfect compliment.

I could be wrong but what you're missing is in the name. Joven. It's an unaged tequila that doesn't spend any time in a cask.

Thanks for the correction. That helps explain the lack of complexity.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I picked up a bottle of Casamigos Mezcal Joven. I wanted to like it, and I did like it, but with some reservation. I enjoy a nice peaty scotch, and on that note Casamigos is very smokey. What left me wanting was that there wasn't much depth beyond the smoke taste, no texture. I'd recommend it as a good cigar mezcal. For me, a cigar kills the complexity of your drink, but then something with a smokey bite is the perfect compliment.

Most of the peaty Scotches come from Islay, so if you're looking to experiment and haven't had any of these:

* Lagavulin is pretty much a go-to. Widely available, not expensive, and a pretty refined & balanced taste.
* Laphroaig 10 is way too harsh, but some of their smaller batches come off pretty nicely, like their triple wood.
* I have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay open right now that I really like.
* I've also tried a few Bunnahabhains and Ardbegs that I've liked.

And with anything, try it both neat and with a few drops of water. Enough to lower the viscosity and lower the alcohol percentage just a little. Some Scotches come alive with a few drops of water.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Most of the peaty Scotches come from Islay, so if you're looking to experiment and haven't had any of these:

* Lagavulin is pretty much a go-to. Widely available, not expensive, and a pretty refined & balanced taste.
* Laphroaig 10 is way too harsh, but some of their smaller batches come off pretty nicely, like their triple wood.

And with anything, try it both neat and with a few drops of water. Enough to lower the viscosity and lower the alcohol percentage just a little. Some Scotches come alive with a few drops of water.

Lagavulin is over a c note a bottle, so you know Larry gets paid well.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lagavulin is over a c note a bottle, so you know Larry gets paid well.

Closer to $85 around here. But there are a couple bottles 'round here that are kinda crazy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Talisker is another nice Islay
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I have to admit, after years of being a single malt snob, I've come around to the value of blends (many of which are made with single malts but can vary the amounts of each to achieve consistent flavor points). Dewers 12 is a nice reasonable everyday drinker that has a smooth highland start and a smoky Islay finish. I also enjoy Johnnie Walker Black (although Blue and Green are better)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I have to admit, after years of being a single malt snob, I've come around to the value of blends (many of which are made with single malts but can vary the amounts of each to achieve consistent flavor points). Dewers 12 is a nice reasonable everyday drinker that has a smooth highland start and a smoky Islay finish. I also enjoy Johnnie Walker Black (although Blue and Green are better)

I read that in Patrick Bateman's voice.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You get me
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You get me

If I see a scotch bar. The first thing I look for is Dewar's 12.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Thanks Larry, I haven't tried Kilchoman Machir Bay yet, but I'll look for it.

I love Lagavulin, there's a local liquor store that carries the 16 year for only $85, which is a pretty decent deal. I still have some Laphroaig, I know it's harsh, but then I used to enjoy hanging out next to a Caltrans' tar boiler as a kid.

I'll shoot one scotch recommendation your way: Knockando 18 year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Recently drank some Appleton Estate Rum. Probably the best bottle of alcohol under $60 I've ever tasted.

Maybe I'll try their 21 year rum next. It's more than twice the price.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Recently drank some Appleton Estate Rum. Probably the best bottle of alcohol under $60 I've ever tasted.

Maybe I'll try their 21 year rum next. It's more than twice the price.

I love inexpensive liquor that actually tastes good and AE is tops for good, inexpensive rum, imo. I use it as my base when I blend rums for tiki cocktails - some nice funk, but it doesn't overpower a touch of rhum agricole in a drink.

It's like Makers Mark among bourbons - Makers just works. It's a great cheaper go-to and they remain consistent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Bourbon is for people who don’t like whisky
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Detail the difference, swami, por favor.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Nothing?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Gin! I have just discovered that Nollet's silver with Carpano Antico and Campari makes a mind blowing Negroni. It's on the sweet side since Nollet's a sweeter-ish gin, but hot damn the flavor profile is beyond words.

Any other gin drinkers on LG.com?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Basically, bourbon is the next step from Jack and Coke. It’s a sweet, sugary version of whiskey that people like because it takes what they see as the edge off of true whisky.

Nothing inherently wrong with bourbon. It’s just that it’s not the real thing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Basically, bourbon is the next step from Jack and Coke. It’s a sweet, sugary version of whiskey that people like because it takes what they see as the edge off of true whisky.

Nothing inherently wrong with bourbon. It’s just that it’s not the real thing.

So what is American whiskey vis-a-vis bourbon? What labels?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: