Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
If we're talking about HBO series, I'm going to throw a bone to The Larry Sanders Show. No flipping!

Yeah, that’s a magnificent show. It’s funny that I disliked his standup and found him to be an obnoxious person, but at the same time could t wait to see the next episode of his show. I watched the documentary about him, The Sen Diaries if Garry Shandling, and it made me realize he was more obnoxious than I thought, and also made me care about him as a human.

Sanders was indeed excellent. And I kind of get why you may have found Gary a bit obnoxious, but every single thing I have heard about him from people who knew him is that he was a good soul and supportive man.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Started watching a British show on Netflix called "White Lines." It actually takes place in Ibiza and it's about a British DJ that disappeared 20 years ago and whose dead body suddenly appeared. So his sister goes to Ibiza to investigate. It is what it is. Not great, not bad. Saw half the season in one night.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I started watching “A French Village” at the suggestion of a colleague. I’m only 2 episodes in, bug it is riveting so far and excellent on all levels. The shows centers on the people of a French village and what happens when the Nazis roll in to occupy it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

La La Anthony is back on the small screen in The Chi after being killed off in Empire. Her character is a chef. The Chi is into it's 3rd season.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
La La Anthony is back on the small screen in The Chi after being killed off in Empire. Her character is a chef. The Chi is into it's 3rd season.

I really wanted to like that show. But between the kids plot line and the chef story line I dropped it somewhere in season 2. I just want a show that focuses on the Chicago gang stuff.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I really wanted to like that show. But between the kids plot line and the chef story line I dropped it somewhere in season 2. I just want a show that focuses on the Chicago gang stuff.

The Chi is about gangs. Not Mafia type, neighborhood gangs and how they affect the lives of those who live on the west side of Chicago. It's a many faceted series. Gay marriage, alcoholism, trying to rise up in the mist of chaos etc. I like the show. La La's a great addition.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The Chi is about gangs. Not Mafia type, neighborhood gangs and how they affect the lives of those who live on the west side of Chicago. It's a many faceted series. Gay marriage, alcoholism, trying to rise up in the mist of chaos etc. I like the show. La La's a great addition.

I feel ya. It accomplishes what it sets out to be. I think it's really just the middle schooler plot line that turned me off. You'd see some gripping gang stuff one scene. And then the next it was these middle schoolers doing a play.
But I think some people like the fact that they approach that Chicago neighborhood from multiple points. And that's fair. It is unique.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I feel ya. It accomplishes what it sets out to be. I think it's really just the middle schooler plot line that turned me off. You'd see some gripping gang stuff one scene. And then the next it was these middle schoolers doing a play.
But I think some people like the fact that they approach that Chicago neighborhood from multiple points. And that's fair. It is unique.

Yeah, that does slow things down. Still ya gotta love Big Papa. Dude is smart, funny, wants ta git wit da girls and loves ta eat.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, that does slow things down. Still ya gotta love Big Papa. Dude is smart, funny, wants ta git wit da girls and loves ta eat.

That is an accurate description.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

With irons like this in the fire Kap may not want to go back to football.

Netflix to produce 6-part series on Colin Kaepernick

LINK

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe it was the show creator that I saw in an interview saying that she didn't want to do the same show where all they show of the inner (black) city is crime and gangs. She wasn't going to shy away from it, but she wanted to highlight the lives of people in such neighborhoods as they are, not just the red meat drama. I applaud that. IMO, so many white people think Black people are dangerous and different precisely because they primarily interact with them through media representations, and those representations tend toward the criminals and gangs and drugs tropes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe it was the show creator that I saw in an interview saying that she didn't want to do the same show where all they show of the inner (black) city is crime and gangs. She wasn't going to shy away from it, but she wanted to highlight the lives of people in such neighborhoods as they are, not just the red meat drama. I applaud that. IMO, so many white people think Black people are dangerous and different precisely because they primarily interact with them through media representations, and those representations tend toward the criminals and gangs and drugs tropes.

Mission accomplished.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

Here's a little gem I found on Netflix: The Republic of Doyle.

Now this is pure escapist light TV, and not ever gonna make a top 10 list, or even a top 100, but I really enjoyed the first season.

For those who like British Detective shows, I suspect you will like this. It is Canadian, set in the colorful (literally and figuratively) town of St. Johns, Newfoundland, and since there many of Irish descent having found a home there, it has a very Irish feel about it. The show is a bit more camp than most Brit shows, that some feel reminds them of Starsky and Hutch or Magnum PI, but I did not watch either of those so I can't say.

The central characters are a father and son PI team, whose "loving" relationship is not expressed in typical terms. They "rib" each other constantly. There are a lot of likable characters and pretty faces, and for the guys looking for something to watch with the Mrs., the main protagonist should put a smile on her face. He always seems to find trouble, something like Hank Moody in Californacation, and like Brit shows, he relies more on guile and intelligence than of force or intimidation. Also, like Brit shows, guns are not a requirement in solving crimes.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Finished watching Ozark - If I'm being honest, it was Ok, but I wasn't crazy about it. Not horrible, but nowhere near the hype it has received.

Started Narcos and Boardwalk Empire (am toward the end of the first seasons for both), and am enjoying them quite a bit.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

I watched White Lines on Netflix, it was good but I would definitely say more entertainment television than quality television.

I’m halfway through Dark on Netflix and it’s very good. It’s like the best parts of LOST and Stranger Things but bumped up a level or two in terms of making the viewer do the work to follow the story/characters. It’s in German so you can either do English subs (what I do) or there’s dubbing options.

The Golden State Killer doc on HBO is good but incredibly unsettling. You will definitely have trouble sleeping afterwards...or maybe it’s just me
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Finished watching Ozark - If I'm being honest, it was Ok, but I wasn't crazy about it. Not horrible, but nowhere near the hype it has received.

Started Narcos and Boardwalk Empire (am toward the end of the first seasons for both), and am enjoying them quite a bit.

Narcos is great all the way through. Boardwalk suffered from some issues beyond the showrunners control as seasons progress. Still a great show overall, but not as great as it was planned out to be.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Narcos is great all the way through. Boardwalk suffered from some issues beyond the showrunners control as seasons progress. Still a great show overall, but not as great as it was planned out to be.

Dropped Narcos after Pablo Escobar. Just felt like a worse show. haven't tried Narcos: Mexico
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

love Narcos and Boardwalk....find myself appreciating Boardwalk more and more as time passes
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Mission accomplished.

The Chi is a show that sometimes feels like not a lot is going on in an episode....or maybe there feels like a lack of action for periods of an episode on the surface....but take a step back, and you realize a million things are going on across the characters timelines. A little concerned with how they exit this Keisha abduction.....feels a little risky or off brand to the show, but I will wait and see how it plays out. I think they did a good job transitioning away from Brandon being at the center of the story after his exit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject:

The documentary "Outcry" on Showtime is excellent. It really pulled me through all of the emotions and I ended up in tears at the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11615234/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Still ya gotta love Big Papa.

Big Papa in love.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject:

- Enjoyed "Hightown" on Starz.....it got picked up for another season. Still unsure about "P-Valley" which took over Hightowns Sunday night timeslot.

- I was a big fan of "Barskins" on Nat Geo

- Yellowstone is still the best show on a non-premium cable channel! Heck, it is better than most shows on a premium cable channel.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yesterday, instead of a bevy of screeners for objectively better shows, I chose to watch the new season of Marcella on Netflix. Marcella is a British crime show that started off with some merit and went off the rails so quickly and so completely that it was astonishing to see. (The same is true for the show Doctor Foster, and I could name so many more). These series have short seasons, feature British rural settings that I can’t get enough of, include pulpy central mysteries and lead actresses I really like, and make almost zero sense. It is true TV junk food, and perfect for what I required in that moment. Could I have watched something “better”? Absolutely. Did I enjoy this insane binge journey I took anyway? You bet. [Emphasis mine.]

Well said, from Paste Magazine
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I have HULU I already saw tonight's The Chi episode. They finally show Keisha's abductor. I thought Ronnie was going to find her.

It's not a swift series but has enough mystery to be compelling. Many story lines from gangsta to teenagers.

What makes the show believable are the characters. They look like average everyday people. Cute, not so cute, fat, not so fat. None are Hollywood beauties.

Writers leave enough uncovered to have audiences want to tune in again to see what's next.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Perry Mason on HBO is good. It's really really good.
But I have a feeling that if you loved the original show, you won't like it.
I never watched the original show, so that's not a problem for me.

It's a spiritual successor to Boardwalk Empire. Not just because of the overlapping actors/actresses. Not just because of the time period. But because of the way it is shot.

It takes ALOT for an actor to replace Robert Downey Jr. in a role and I don't feel slighted or jaded. But Matthew Rhys is so good. It doesn't bother me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 39 of 110
Jump to: