THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2309, 2310, 2311 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm of a mind some of Trumps cohorts are distancing themselves from him of late. He's becoming a albatross to many.

I made mention in the past that sooner or later this would happen. It seems to be the trend of late.

The SCOTUS has not favored him in the last two decision. Mitch is sidestepping. I see the rats abandoning a sinking ship. Agree or Disagree?

In terms of Republicans in Congress. Ehh. Well I guess normally they are firmly implanted in Trump's rectum. But with this Russia bounty story a few have moved down a few centimeters and can see a crack of daylight.
But the "let the investigation finish before making any judgements" line is really just a stalling tactic till they can think of a better excuse and return to the depths they were at.

SCOTUS is mostly Trump's arguments being absolute dog poo. More than once Roberts has said "this argument" isn't valid, or "this argument" is the exact same as one already presented to us in the past, so I'm sticking with precedent. Roberts rulings aren't being decided on a fundamentally ideological level (outside of the trans rights one). But on a superficial, the argument is bad level. (That's important to keep in mind because if Trump is given 4 more years, these wins could be overturned if Republicans find better cases to bring forward.)
Trump's been losing on the SCOTUS front mostly due to his ineptitude.

I'm also worried the Supreme Court is giving us these wins to soften the blow for a ruling against ObamaCare in the future. The GOP's 10 year assault on giving 23 million Americans healthcare could finally succeed, if Justice Roberts wills it.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, that was a long drawn out answer Jo.
The "rats" in Congress have contemplated jumping. But they'll go down with the ship.
The "rats" in the Supreme Court are steadfast besides Roberts. He sleeps every night in the lifeboat. But keeps it on the down low.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject:

The GOP is stuck with and to him, like it or not. Roberts, otoh, is a man aware of his legacy. And not in need of anything from Trump or his base. He will go along on the odious (bleep) he agrees with, but I suspect he has limits to what he’s willing to subject himself to in the history books.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The GOP is stuck with and to him, like it or not. Roberts, otoh, is a man aware of his legacy. And not in need of anything from Trump or his base. He will go along on the odious (bleep) he agrees with, but I suspect he has limits to what he’s willing to subject himself to in the history books.

You think more highly of Roberts than I do. The legacy he wants to leave is "no legacy." He's a cipher.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You think more highly of Roberts than I do. The legacy he wants to leave is "no legacy." He's a cipher.

I don’t think highly of him. I just understand human nature. Some guys just want the power and the praise (Kavanaugh), some people are ideologues (Thomas), and some are both (Scalia). But some are accomplished and see themselves as more than just partisan hacks or celebrities. Roberts strikes me as a guy who wanted the position because he wants to go down in history, to have mattered. And that’s why he crosses the divide sometimes. Because his legacy is more important than any case or another.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm of a mind some of Trumps cohorts are distancing themselves from him of late. He's becoming a albatross to many.

I made mention in the past that sooner or later this would happen. It seems to be the trend of late.

The SCOTUS has not favored him in the last two decision. Mitch is Texas Sidestepping. I see the rats abandoning a sinking ship. Agree or Disagree?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject:

Suffolk/USA Today Poll:

Do you think Joe Biden...

Cares about people like you?
Yes 57%
No 36%
Has the right experience to be president?
Yes 67%
No 28%
Has a vision for the country?
Yes 59%
No 34%
Can get things done?
Yes 55%
No 37%

Do you think Donald Trump...

Cares about people like you?
Yes 36%
No 61%

Has the right experience to be president?
Yes 37%
No 61%

Will keep his promises?
Yes 38%
No 59%

Honest and trustworthy?
Yes 30%
No 66%

Can bring the nation together?
Yes 27%
No 69%

---

I find it funny that only 37% think Trump has the right experience to be president, four years into his presidency.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject:

Hickenlooper won the Colorado Democratic primary. That's probably good news, as he has a lot of name recognition there. I'm sure the Republicans will try to bring up the ethics violations, but I think he probably had the best shot to win over Gardner.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
David Corn @DavidCornDC

Consider the immense depravity of @realDonaldTrump. He could save thousands of American lives by actively encouraging people to wear masks and by setting an example. Yet he refuses to do so due to vanity and a perverse political calculation. He is betraying the nation.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject:

Susan Rice, NYT Opinion - Why Does Trump Put Russia First?

Quote:
Since at least February, and possibly as early as March 2019, the United States has had compelling intelligence that a committed adversary, Russia, paid bounties to Taliban-linked fighters to kill American troops in Afghanistan. American service members were reportedly killed as a result.

To this day, the president of the United States has done nothing about it.

Instead, President Trump dismissed the intelligence as not “credible” and “possibly another fabricated Russia hoax, maybe by the Fake News” that is “wanting to make Republicans look bad!!!”

Quote:
Here’s what should have happened. Had I, as national security adviser, received even “raw” reporting that Russia was paying to kill U.S. service members, I would have walked straight into the Oval Office to brief the president.

Contrary to the spin-masters in the White House today, I would not have waited until we had absolute certainty. I would have said, “Mr. President, I want to make sure you are aware that we have troubling reporting that Russia is paying the Taliban to kill our forces in Afghanistan. I will work with the intelligence community to ensure the information is solid. In the meantime, I will convene the national security team to get you some options for how to respond to this apparent major escalation in Russia’s hostile actions.”

If later the president decided, as Mr. Trump did, that he wanted to talk with President Vladimir Putin of Russia at least six times over the next several weeks and invite him to join the Group of 7 summit over the objections of our allies, I would have thrown a red flag: “Mr. President, I want to remind you that we believe the Russians are killing American soldiers. This is not the time to hand Putin an olive branch. It’s the time to punish him.”

This is what would have happened in any prior administration of either political party.

Quote:
That it apparently did not is deeply troubling and raises myriad questions. If Mr. Trump was told about Russian actions, why did he not respond? If he was not told, why not? Are his top advisers utterly incompetent? Are they too scared to deliver bad news to Mr. Trump, particularly about Russia? Is Mr. Trump running a rogue foreign policy utterly divorced from U.S. national interests? If so, why?

Quote:
What must we conclude from all this? At best, our commander in chief is utterly derelict in his duties, presiding over a dangerously dysfunctional national security process that is putting our country and those who wear its uniform at great risk. At worst, the White House is being run by liars and wimps catering to a tyrannical president who is actively advancing our arch adversary’s nefarious interests.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
David Corn @DavidCornDC

Consider the immense depravity of @realDonaldTrump. He could save thousands of American lives by actively encouraging people to wear masks and by setting an example. Yet he refuses to do so due to vanity and a perverse political calculation. He is betraying the nation.

That depends on which nation he's talking about. One of the old Soviet propaganda tactics was constantly telling its citizens how much worse things are in the west. Now Putin gets to actually make some of that a reality.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don’t think highly of him. I just understand human nature. Some guys just want the power and the praise (Kavanaugh), some people are ideologues (Thomas), and some are both (Scalia). But some are accomplished and see themselves as more than just partisan hacks or celebrities. Roberts strikes me as a guy who wanted the position because he wants to go down in history, to have mattered. And that’s why he crosses the divide sometimes. Because his legacy is more important than any case or another.

What some are saying about Robert's decisions that have sided with the four moderates, is that in his verbiage, he is giving conservatives a roadmap on how to do it right--to achieve their goal.

He seems to be a pretty smart guy and may not want to open up a can of worms with a decision that could be used in another case that would work against conservatives.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

Trump tweets that Russia bounty allegations are ‘Fake News’

LINK

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
“No corroborating evidence to back reports.” Department of Defense. Do people still not understand that this is all a made up Fake News Media Hoax started to slander me & the Republican Party. I was never briefed because any info that they may have had did not rise to that level

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
“No corroborating evidence to back reports.” Department of Defense. Do people still not understand that this is all a made up Fake News Media Hoax started to slander me & the Republican Party. I was never briefed because any info that they may have had did not rise to that level

He's full of (bleep) and there is back-up corroborating evidence. These are some the most bald faced lies he's ever told, and that's saying something. Even many Republicans aren't going to go along with this nonsense.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

If nothing up until now convinced you that Trump is a Russian asset, this is it. Congress has been briefed on the topic, CIA wrote reports and warned Britain their troops were also at risk, the NSC discussed a plan to respond. That doesn't happen if it's all a "hoax." He has to pretend to believe it's a hoax so he doesn't have to sanction or rebuke Putin. Because the minute he acknowledges the bounty information is real, as Commander-In-Chief he would have to respond. And now it's clear he has no intention of responding.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

Pompeo's propaganda line is that the Russians have been doing shenanigans in Afghanistan for decades so this is nothing new. Really. The Secretary of State is saying it's no big deal. The entire administration is a disgrace. They know Trump is a treasonous snake and they don't care, they continue to cover for him.

Everything they accused Hillary of in 2016, they have actually now done themselves.

They are all traitors and when Democrats retake the Senate and the White House, I hope they go after every single one of them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

More and more my thinking that some Republicans will distance, not abandon, themselves from Trump is coming to fruition. Abandoning our troops may be the proverbial straw. The Worm Is Beginning To Turn

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
More and more my thinking that some Republicans will distance, not abandon, themselves from Trump is coming to fruition. Abandoning our troops may be the proverbial straw. The Worm Is Beginning To Turn

They might "disagree" with him on this one issue, but they won't stop supporting him overall. That's not gonna happen.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They might "disagree" with him on this one issue, but they won't stop supporting him overall. That's not gonna happen.

I agree but that's not my contention. Key phrase distance themselves. In the upcoming elections I'll be watching to see how many ask for his help on the campaign trail. It's my thoughts there will not be many. To use a Trump term "Let's see what happens."

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h

He's full of (bleep) and there is back-up corroborating evidence. These are some the most bald faced lies he's ever told, and that's saying something. Even many Republicans aren't going to go along with this nonsense.

There might be a Republican or two who comment negatively about Trump on this story, but so far . . . crickets.

No Republican of any actual significance in regards to being able to do anything about Trump is going to turn on him. They haven't yet and they won't now. As a friend of mine said elsewhere:

The Russian bounties story is not going to cause the GOP to turn on Trump.

I don't know what universe people are living in, except that it has in the last four years included faithless electors who wouldn't seat Trump, a Republican House that would impeach him, a cabinet that would 25th Amendment him, a Senate that would vote to convict him after a Democratic House finally did impeach him, and now, apparently, "wise Republicans" who'll remove Trump or convince him to resign over his Russki treason.

Every one of these fantasies fails on the suggestion that Republicans won't do the worst possible thing every time.

You all must know different Republicans than I do.

This won't be the first time there's been a scandal that makes decent people think, "this will finally be the thing that Republicans won't stand for . . ." only to be disappointed and it won't be the last. This time next week in will be just yet another scandal in the Trump administration that was ignored by the GOP.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

Schumer joins Bennett and Wyden - two of the more progressive Senate Dems - to argue for automatic stabilizers in the next round of stimulus. Obviously a losing proposition against McConnell, but another positive sign that a Democratic party controlled Senate under Biden could be much more aggressive than they were in 2009-10.

As an aside, I think greenfrog definitively lost the argument about leveraging McConnell for more concessions during the CARES Act negotiations in March. The leverage of electoral losses in the wake of a recession and even the horror of tens of thousands of additional dead Americans in red states has barely moved the GOP.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h

There might be a Republican or two who comment negatively about Trump on this story, but so far . . . crickets.

No Republican of any actual significance in regards to being able to do anything about Trump is going to turn on him. They haven't yet and they won't now. As a friend of mine said elsewhere:

The Russian bounties story is not going to cause the GOP to turn on Trump.

I don't know what universe people are living in, except that it has in the last four years included faithless electors who wouldn't seat Trump, a Republican House that would impeach him, a cabinet that would 25th Amendment him, a Senate that would vote to convict him after a Democratic House finally did impeach him, and now, apparently, "wise Republicans" who'll remove Trump or convince him to resign over his Russki treason.

Every one of these fantasies fails on the suggestion that Republicans won't do the worst possible thing every time.

You all must know different Republicans than I do.

This won't be the first time there's been a scandal that makes decent people think, "this will finally be the thing that Republicans won't stand for . . ." only to be disappointed and it won't be the last. This time next week in will be just yet another scandal in the Trump administration that was ignored by the GOP.

I don't disagree on the whole. Read my last two replies to jodeke.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

Jun 24, 2020,08:27pm EDT

Chances Of A Second Stimulus Check Just Got A Whole Lot Better

LINK

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Jun 24, 2020,08:27pm EDT

Chances Of A Second Stimulus Check Just Got A Whole Lot Better

LINK

It shouldn't be an either/or situation, but if it comes down to it, expanded UI > stimulus check.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

We're basically in Orwell 1984 territory now.

Quote:
Ben Rhodes @brhodes ·

To believe Trump and his Senate GOP enablers, potentially thousands of people in multiple countries were briefed on a threat to our troops. But somehow he was not and it's a hoax.

Quote:
Katie Phang @KatiePhang

NEW: 3 NATO officials: “‘We were briefed [by the Americans] on a potential threat to our troops in Afghanistan from operatives potentially linked to the Russian intelligence services.’” https://businessinsider.com/russian-bounty-us-soldiers-afghanistan-nato-officials-briefed-trump-denies-2020-6
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2309, 2310, 2311 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2310 of 3663
Jump to: