THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2308, 2309, 2310 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I don't buy "I don't like him personally, but I like his policies," unless you're super rich or an evangelical who only cares about taking away rights from women and other historically oppressed groups. The bulk of his base hasn't benefited at all from his policies. The main reason they like him and have stuck with him throughout is because he hates the same people they do.

and

“It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:
She literally has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.

He said Angela Merkel was stupid. Really?

Fact-Checking All of the Mysteries Surrounding Donald Trump and Penn

LINK

Quote:
Mystery #2: Did one of his Wharton professors repeatedly tell friends and associates that Donald Trump “was the dumbest (bleep) student I ever had”?
Quote:
It’s rare for a professor to disparage the intelligence of a student, but according to attorney Frank DiPrima, who was close friends with professor William T. Kelley for 47 years, the prof made an exception for Donald Trump, at least in private. “He must have told me that 100 times over the course of 30 years,” says DiPrima, who has been practicing law since 1963 and has served as in-house counsel for entities including the Federal Trade Commission and Playboy Enterprises. “I remember the inflection of his voice when he said it: ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest (bleep) student I ever had!’” He would say that [Trump] came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything, that he was arrogant and he wasn’t there to learn.” Kelley, who passed away in 2011 at age 94, taught marketing at Wharton for 31 years, retiring in 1982.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I don't buy "I don't like him personally, but I like his policies," unless you're super rich or an evangelical who only cares about taking away rights from women and other historically oppressed groups. The bulk of his base hasn't benefited at all from his policies. The main reason they like him and have stuck with him throughout is because he hates the same people they do.

From somewhere on Twitter: the only way the GOP will ever abandon Trump while he has power is if he partners with Nancy Pelosi to raise taxes.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

The White House "forgot" this piece of evidence and left it out when "briefing" the Congress people they had up to the White House the last two days. I can't believe they think they can keep lying about this and the underlying facts won't really come out. The intel and military are obviously incensed and will keep leaking details to show the administration is lying and deceiving.

NYT: Data on Financial Transfers Bolstered Suspicions That Russia Offered Bounties

Quote:
American officials intercepted electronic data showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account, which was among the evidence that supported their conclusion that Russia covertly offered bounties for killing U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, according to three officials familiar with the intelligence.

Though the United States has accused Russia of providing general support to the Taliban before, analysts concluded from other intelligence that the transfers were most likely part of a bounty program that detainees described during interrogations. Investigators also identified by name numerous Afghans in a network linked to the suspected Russian operation, the officials said — including, two of them added, a man believed to have served as an intermediary for distributing some of the funds and who is now thought to be in Russia.

The intercepts bolstered the findings gleaned from the interrogations, helping reduce an earlier disagreement among intelligence analysts and agencies over the reliability of the detainees. The disclosures further undercut White House officials’ claim that the intelligence was too uncertain to brief President Trump. In fact, the information was provided to him in his daily written brief in late February, two officials have said.

There was also an anonymous quote from a reporter on Twitter that said Trump was "gleeful" that he was "only" kept in the loop via the "written" PDB briefing materials. Like he thinks that lets him off the hook ("No one told me!) instead of making him look not just like a traitor but an illiterate, incompetent, lazy, unfit traitor. When the quote makes it's way into a media story I will post and link.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The White House "forgot" this piece of evidence and left it out when "briefing" the Congress people they had up to the White House the last two days. I can't believe they think they can keep lying about this and the underlying facts won't really come out. The intel and military are obviously incensed and will keep leaking details to show the administration is lying and deceiving.

NYT: Data on Financial Transfers Bolstered Suspicions That Russia Offered Bounties

Quote:
American officials intercepted electronic data showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account, which was among the evidence that supported their conclusion that Russia covertly offered bounties for killing U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, according to three officials familiar with the intelligence.

Though the United States has accused Russia of providing general support to the Taliban before, analysts concluded from other intelligence that the transfers were most likely part of a bounty program that detainees described during interrogations. Investigators also identified by name numerous Afghans in a network linked to the suspected Russian operation, the officials said — including, two of them added, a man believed to have served as an intermediary for distributing some of the funds and who is now thought to be in Russia.

The intercepts bolstered the findings gleaned from the interrogations, helping reduce an earlier disagreement among intelligence analysts and agencies over the reliability of the detainees. The disclosures further undercut White House officials’ claim that the intelligence was too uncertain to brief President Trump. In fact, the information was provided to him in his daily written brief in late February, two officials have said.

There was also an anonymous quote from a reporter on Twitter that said Trump was "gleeful" that he was "only" kept in the loop via the "written" PDB briefing materials. Like he thinks that lets him off the hook ("No one told me!) instead of making him look not just like a traitor but an illiterate, incompetent, lazy, unfit traitor. When the quote makes it's way into a media story I will post and link.

He's using his well-known illiteracy for plausible deniability. Dubya didn't read his either. Murca loves their bimbos in the highest office. It's a clear show of dummies not liking eggheads. Makes you wonder who's next in the coming 24 years or so. No one in their right mind thought there would be a stupider man than Dubya to choose from until Trump came along. While I think Donnie will be like beating prime Jordan in that respect, I know there are a lot of dumbasses in the Repub Party -- Matt Gaetz for example, who is a literal human asswipe.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

Needless to say, it's telling that instead of doing something with this "newly discovered info" by going after Putin to protect our troops, he's doing nothing but defending himself. Not surprising but illustrative of the core motivation of his tenure: Donald first...always.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

If you wrote all this in a Hollywood script, no one would believe it:

Quote:
Matthew Gertz @MattGertz

What the president was doing the same day the PDB reportedly detailed that Russian intelligence was offering bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing U.S. forces in Afghanistan, while a deadly pandemic was spreading across the country.

Put this tweet in a museum.

Quote:
Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1 · Feb 27
Trump spent 45 minutes today w/producers behind a play that dramatized the text messages between FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, complaining about why "some people are in prison and others aren't." He is now meeting with Diamond and Silk and others.
https://thedailybeast.com/amid-coronavirus-mayhem-trump-takes-time-to-meet-with-actors-in-deep-state-play

omg omg omg just make it end
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

Lincoln Project strikes again:

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1278028522863427584
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Political Polls @Politics_Polls

National GE:
Biden 54% (+10)
Trump 44%

@pewresearch 6/16-22

I think this is the first national poll with Biden over 50%? In any case, I think 54% is his high water mark so far.

Quote:
Trump Job Approval:
Approve 39%
Disapprove 59%

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Until June 30, Republican satisfaction with the state of the country had stayed above 50% for nearly all of Trump's presidency, according to Pew.

Now, just 19% of Republicans and those who lean Republican are satisfied with the direction of the country.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Reading about Trumps shortcomings and unfitness to sit in the Oval Office SHOULD lead one to believe he has no chance at a second term. NOT!

Reason for NOT;

This presidency has illuminated Trumps racist ways. It has also revealed a segment that has been there but relatively quiet. Closet racist!

I sorta fear Trumps base. They go to the polls and vote in a block for Trump. I pen "sorta" because they are relatively few in number.

I fear the closet Trumpsters. Those who'll vote for him and not openly admit it. What is that number? It's unknown and scary to me.

Racism has been there surreptitiously. It's now reared it's ugly head for all to see. LINK LINK

Trump opened the door for racist to be openly that. Evidenced by the man in The Village in Florida shouting White Power!

Not many thought Trump would win in 2016, HE DID! There is no room for complacency in 2020.

Anybody needing Prozac, I got scrip.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

The entire Republican party are corrupt traitors and Trump is just their avatar.

CNN: Senate strips provision from intelligence bill requiring campaigns to report foreign election help

Quote:
The Senate will incorporate the annual intelligence policy legislation into the National Defense Authorization Act -- but only after stripping language from the intelligence bill that would have required presidential campaigns to report offers of foreign election help.

In case it wasn't clear: The Republican Party is changing the law to make it okay for Russia (or China or any foreign country) to help Trump in 2020 only this time there will be no FBI investigation or Independent Counsel like Mueller because they are explicitly making it legal for Trump to cheat and collude with Russia.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Until June 30, Republican satisfaction with the state of the country had stayed above 50% for nearly all of Trump's presidency, according to Pew.

Now, just 19% of Republicans and those who lean Republican are satisfied with the direction of the country.

Which basically means that in March and April when 10's of 1000's suffered and died in NY/NJ/MA, in "blue" states, the Republicans were fine with the direction of the country, it wasn't happening to them, just a bunch of POC and liberals. But now that it is hitting "red" states... human nature I guess but still disturbing.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

NYT: Biden Assails Trump’s Coronavirus Response in Speech

Quote:
Joseph R. Biden Jr. unloaded a barrage of criticism at President Trump on Tuesday over his response to Covid-19, his refusal to wear a mask, his handling of intelligence on Russia targeting American troops and even his “cognitive capability” during a rare news conference in which Mr. Biden repeatedly drew distinctions with his November opponent.

Mr. Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, laid out an updated plan to address the pandemic as cases rise in many states. He accused Mr. Trump of having “surrendered” to the virus. And he underscored the importance of wearing a mask in public, something the president has refused to do, saying, “You have a moral obligation.”

From a lectern in a high school gym in Wilmington, flanked by a pair of teleprompters and in front of an American flag, Mr. Biden laced into Mr. Trump in a 20-minute speech that focused on the coronavirus. Then he took questions from reporters for half an hour. The blistering critique he made of Mr. Trump spanned the breadth of the presidency, touching on matters foreign and domestic, as well as the tone Mr. Trump had set.

“I think we have to start appealing to the better side of human nature,” Mr. Biden said, making a case for wearing a mask. “It’s called patriotism. It’s called responsibility. It’s called making sure you look out for the other person.”

Mr. Trump, on the other hand, “puts everything in terms of him,” Mr. Biden said.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Which basically means that in March and April when 10's of 1000's suffered and died in NY/NJ/MA, in "blue" states, the Republicans were fine with the direction of the country, it wasn't happening to them, just a bunch of POC and liberals. But now that it is hitting "red" states... human nature I guess but still disturbing.

Link to a little more about it.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

The tone of these Lincoln Project ads are so different from what Democrats would typically put together. It's just really interesting watching Republicans go after their own.

Last edited by Surfitall on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The of these Lincoln Project ads are so different from what Democrats would typically put together. It's just really interesting watching Republicans go after their own.

They're also targeted for an audience of Trump in a pissing contest between conservative DC PR flacks.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

That 19% is VERY encouraging. That is a huge drop. Don't mean to downplay that at all.
But I have to imagine a good % of those Republicans blame the poor direction of the country on Democrats and not Trump. Of course that makes no sense. But logical reasoning has never been their strong suit.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany looks like she's ready to cry. And she came into the job so cocky and confident.
She won't get an ounce of pity from me.
Some jobs aren't worth doing.
Some lies aren't worth telling.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The of these Lincoln Project ads are so different from what Democrats would typically put together. It's just really interesting watching Republicans go after their own.

They're also targeted for an audience of Trump in a pissing contest between conservative DC PR flacks.

Make no mistake, these are dishonest snakes that worked under guys like Rove spreading hate and fear and disinformation for years. Their problem with Trump is that he took over their operation (the GOP) and shut them out because they backed other horses. This is less about decency and more about trying to unseat Trumpism as the ruling faction in the party. If they achieve that, they will be back selling most of what he does under a thin disguise. So their ads are possibly helpful and definitely well produced and targeted, but even their use of funds has come under scrutiny as it appears most of their donations are getting funneled to their own organizations.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
NYT: Biden Assails Trump’s Coronavirus Response in Speech

Quote:
Joseph R. Biden Jr. unloaded a barrage of criticism at President Trump on Tuesday over his response to Covid-19, his refusal to wear a mask, his handling of intelligence on Russia targeting American troops and even his “cognitive capability” during a rare news conference in which Mr. Biden repeatedly drew distinctions with his November opponent.

Mr. Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, laid out an updated plan to address the pandemic as cases rise in many states. He accused Mr. Trump of having “surrendered” to the virus. And he underscored the importance of wearing a mask in public, something the president has refused to do, saying, “You have a moral obligation.”

From a lectern in a high school gym in Wilmington, flanked by a pair of teleprompters and in front of an American flag, Mr. Biden laced into Mr. Trump in a 20-minute speech that focused on the coronavirus. Then he took questions from reporters for half an hour. The blistering critique he made of Mr. Trump spanned the breadth of the presidency, touching on matters foreign and domestic, as well as the tone Mr. Trump had set.

“I think we have to start appealing to the better side of human nature,” Mr. Biden said, making a case for wearing a mask. “It’s called patriotism. It’s called responsibility. It’s called making sure you look out for the other person.”

Mr. Trump, on the other hand, “puts everything in terms of him,” Mr. Biden said.

Right at the end of the press conference a Fox News reporter, who didn't identify himself as such and who has previously spread lies about Biden having dementia on Fox, asked him if he has declined cognitively. Biden had a good answer and that was that.

I didn't watch the speech but I did watch the Q&A, and Biden was really good. He was thoughtful, measured, compassionate.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend comes into play with the Lincoln Project.

By the way, did anyone see that Amy Mcgrath won Kentucky to represent the Democrats in the next election. Barring a miracle, no Democrat is winning Kentucky...McConnell is way ahead, as is Trump.

She has a really good team putting her commercials together. Both the Democrats running did, but since she's the candidate now, check out the commercial that kicked off her campaign this time around:

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

By the way, did anyone see that Amy Mcgrath won Kentucky to represent the Democrats in the next election. Barring a miracle, no Democrat is winning Kentucky...McConnell is way ahead, as is Trump.

She has a really good team putting her commercials together. Both the Democrats running did, but since she's the candidate now, check out the commercial that kicked off her campaign this time around:

Before Booker got in the race she was polling somewhat near McConnell. Now it's back to the drawing board. I have relatives in Kentucky. They are some of dumbest most racist people I've ever met. I'm sure there are pockets of educated people and Democrats in the cities but the bulk of the state is stereotypical non-college rural red Republicans. But they do like their Kentucky iteration of the ACA (even if they are too dumb to realize it's actually Obamacare). And if you can make them realize McConnell is trying to take it all away, it's possible to make some headway. Probably not enough to pull out a win, but enough to give McConnell a scare.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

A close primary loss helps Booker's political prospects more than getting shellacked against McConnell. John Yarmuth is getting long in the tooth and looks ripe for a 2022 primary challenge in a blue district, which if Booker wins, he can wait in that seat for the right opportunity to replace McConnell in 2026 (please let him be dead before then, though) or challenge Paul in 2028.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm of a mind some of Trumps cohorts are distancing themselves from him of late. He's becoming a albatross to many.

I made mention in the past that sooner or later this would happen. It seems to be the trend of late.

The SCOTUS has not favored him in the last two decision. Mitch is Texas Sidestepping. I see the rats abandoning a sinking ship. Agree or Disagree?

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Trump is top dog on a pile of sh!+. Nevertheless, it's still sh!+ he's standing on...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2308, 2309, 2310 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2309 of 3663
Jump to: