THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2307, 2308, 2309 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
It's obvious that people behind the scenes have had it with this traitor and aren't holding back any longer:

Carl Bernstein for CNN: From pandering to Putin to abusing allies and ignoring his own advisers, Trump's phone calls alarm US officials

Quote:
In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

The calls caused former top Trump deputies -- including national security advisers H.R. McMaster and John Bolton, Defense Secretary James Mattis, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, and White House chief of staff John Kelly, as well as intelligence officials -- to conclude that the President was often "delusional," as two sources put it, in his dealings with foreign leaders. The sources said there was little evidence that the President became more skillful or competent in his telephone conversations with most heads of state over time. Rather, he continued to believe that he could either charm, jawbone or bully almost any foreign leader into capitulating to his will, and often pursued goals more attuned to his own agenda than what many of his senior advisers considered the national interest.

Quote:
These officials' concerns about the calls, and particularly Trump's deference to Putin, take on new resonance with reports the President may have learned in March that Russia had offered the Taliban bounties to kill US troops in Afghanistan -- and yet took no action. CNN's sources said there were calls between Putin and Trump about Trump's desire to end the American military presence in Afghanistan but they mentioned no discussion of the supposed Taliban bounties.

By far the greatest number of Trump's telephone discussions with an individual head of state were with Erdogan, who sometimes phoned the White House at least twice a week and was put through directly to the President on standing orders from Trump, according to the sources. Meanwhile, the President regularly bullied and demeaned the leaders of America's principal allies, especially two women: telling Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom she was weak and lacked courage; and telling German Chancellor Angela Merkel that she was "stupid."

Trump incessantly boasted to his fellow heads of state, including Saudi Arabia's autocratic royal heir Mohammed bin Salman and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, about his own wealth, genius, "great" accomplishments as President, and the "idiocy" of his Oval Office predecessors, according to the sources.

In his conversations with both Putin and Erdogan, Trump took special delight in trashing former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama and suggested that dealing directly with him -- Trump -- would be far more fruitful than during previous administrations. "They didn't know BS," he said of Bush and Obama -- one of several derisive tropes the sources said he favored when discussing his predecessors with the Turkish and Russian leaders.

Quote:
One person familiar with almost all the conversations with the leaders of Russia, Turkey, Canada, Australia and western Europe described the calls cumulatively as 'abominations' so grievous to US national security interests that if members of Congress heard from witnesses to the actual conversations or read the texts and contemporaneous notes, even many senior Republican members would no longer be able to retain confidence in the President.

Maybe some brave soul(s) will remember the Pentagon Papers. It's obvious the military and/or the intelligence folks have had it with Trump.

And OMG calling Angela Merkel stupid!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

She literally has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

If you take every detestable human trait that exists and combine them all in one person -- Trump is worse than that.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Another confirmation from CNN Pentagon reporter (Barbara Starr), confirming both the intelligence and that Trump was briefed via the PDB:

Quote:
Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro

Intelligence that assessed that there was an effort by the GRU unit to pay bounty money to kill US soldiers was included in one of President Trump’s Daily Brief (PDB). @barbarastarrcnn

CNN: Intelligence on Russian bounty plot was included in the President's Daily Brief earlier this year, source says

Quote:
The intelligence that assessed there was an effort by a Russian military intelligence unit to pay the Taliban to kill US soldiers was included in one of President Donald Trump's daily briefings on intelligence matters sometime in the spring, according to a US official with direct knowledge of the latest information.

That assessment, the source said, was backed up by "several pieces of information" that supported the view that there was an effort by the Russian intelligence unit -- the GRU -- to pay bounties to kill US soldiers, including interrogation of Taliban detainees and electronic eavesdropping. The source said there was some other information that did not corroborate this view but said, nonetheless, '"This was a big deal. When it's about US troops you go after it 100%, with everything you got."

This is the first mention of electronic eavesdropping as a piece of the underlying evidence. Drip drip drip. They will keep leaking more as he continues to lie, deny and do nothing to Putin in response.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Trump is Putin's b!tch.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Democrats, the Lincoln Project, the media all have to forceful with this story. We can't allow it to be a 3 day story and move on to something else. That's what always happens.

Not reading the daily brief shouldn't be a way out for him.

Democrats, even Biden, have to come up with a clear and concise way to bring up all the scandals during the convention and use it as disqualifiers.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Democrats, the Lincoln Project, the media all have to forceful with this story. We can't allow it to be a 3 day story and move on to something else. That's what always happens.

Democrats, even Biden, have to come up with a clear and concise way to bring up all the scandals during the convention and use it as disqualifiers.

The theme that connects every single Trump scandal -- Donald Trump always puts himself first and the country last.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Chris Murphy @ChrisMurphyCT

I just reviewed the intel.

It’s not a hoax, Mr. President.

And if you continue ignoring the facts, more soldiers and marines are going to die
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Trump is Putin's b!tch.

That's a insult to female dogs.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

More drip drip drip. NYT says Trump got briefed in February.

NYT: Trump Got Written Briefing in February on Possible Russian Bounties, Officials Say

Quote:
American officials provided a written briefing in late February to President Trump laying out their conclusion that a Russian military intelligence unit offered and paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, two officials familiar with the matter said.

The investigation into the suspected Russian covert operation to incentivize such killings has focused in part on an April 2019 car bombing that killed three Marines as one such potential attack, according to multiple officials familiar with the matter.

The new information emerged as the White House tried on Monday to play down the intelligence assessment that Russia sought to encourage and reward killings — including reiterating a claim that Mr. Trump was never briefed about the matter and portraying the conclusion as disputed and dubious.

But that stance clashed with the disclosure by two officials that the intelligence was included months ago in Mr. Trump’s President’s Daily Brief document — a compilation of the government’s latest secrets and best insights about foreign policy and national security that is prepared for him to read. One of the officials said the item appeared in Mr. Trump’s brief in late February; the other cited Feb. 27, specifically.

Moreover, a description of the intelligence assessment that the Russian unit had carried out the bounties plot was also seen as serious and solid enough to disseminate more broadly across the intelligence community in a May 4 article in the C.I.A.’s World Intelligence Review, a classified compendium commonly referred to as The Wire, two officials said.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

AP reports that the White House was aware of Russian bounties in early 2019!

Bolton told Trump about it.

Last edited by Wilt on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

He doesn't read his briefings or listen to his videos.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Retired General Barry McCaffrey who served in 3 administrations (Republican and Democratic), and who worked with the NSC and senior WH staff, says on MSNBC there is ZERO possibility Trump didn't know. ZERO. Especially given Trump trying to get Russia back in the G7 and current negotiations to withdraw from Afghanistan. The information bears directly on those two issues.

Richard Haas former diplomat security adviser during Bush administration: this information would NEVER have brought to the NSC unless it had been verified and vetted.

And by the way, it's also been confirmed by British Intelligence and others around the world.

Trump never pushes back on Russia, his administration does not him. I have a theory as to why. I think Putin has something so devastating on him he fears if he say anything against him he will release the dirt.

My top fear with him before he was elected was how easily he could be baited or manipulated by some. And not because they might have something on him. Just his personality. He will bully those he think he can or get defensive/angry against those who attack him and then on the other side of things, he will act like a coward/buddy to those who he perceives as strong and/or those who kiss his ass. If you've got an agenda, it's just so easy to play him. All Putin has to do is kiss his ass a little, praise him and Trump will give concessions or be soft on whatever to try to get guys like Putin to like him. His ego wants their respect.

He's an insecure little man who wants to be king and told how great he is. Just play into that and you can get all kinds of things from him.

As evidenced by his cabinet meeting praising him. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
He doesn't read or listen .

FIFY
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Indiana Republican Senator Mike Braun appeared on Tucker Carlson's Fox News show tonight, and offered support for BLM and his reasoning for reform as it relates to qualified immunity for police officers. Carlson was incredulous, and the right is excoriating him. (Seriously, you should see the Twitter comments.)

Trump has something like a 92% approval rating from Republicans. They are outnumbered, but they don't have interest in moving anywhere closer to the middle. This is who they are. I can't tell you how many Republicans I know who basically think "well, I don't like Trump, but I like his policies, especially economically." And then, of course, there's a good percentage of Republicans who just think he's fine and dandy. Even God's candidate, as disgusting as that is.

I've never been so offended by someone in politics in all my life.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't buy "I don't like him personally, but I like his policies," unless you're super rich or an evangelical who only cares about taking away rights from women and other historically oppressed groups. The bulk of his base hasn't benefited at all from his policies. The main reason they like him and have stuck with him throughout is because he hates the same people they do.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I don't buy "I don't like him personally, but I like his policies," unless you're super rich or an evangelical who only cares about taking away rights from women and other historically oppressed groups. The bulk of his base hasn't benefited at all from his policies. The main reason they like him and have stuck with him throughout is because he hates the same people they do.

I know people who have said that to me verbatim. And yeah, they are pretty well-off financially. As for "he hates the same people they do", bingo, that's why most Republicans stick with him and other prominent GOP leaders, even though their policies are actually against millions and millions of red-state rural Republicans. They get people to vote against their own best interest, for the most part.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I know people who have said that to me verbatim. And yeah, they are pretty well-off financially. As for "he hates the same people they do", bingo, that's why most Republicans stick with him and other prominent GOP leaders, even though their policies are actually against millions and millions of red-state rural Republicans. They get people to vote against their own best interest, for the most part.

I like his "policies."

Tax cuts - for the rich and corporations only, to the detriment of middle class and poor people.
Deregulation- that has worsened our water, air and food supplies, to the detriment of all but especially the young and the poor.
Right wing judges - that will rescind personal and civil rights and expand corporate and government rights - to the detriment of everyone except well-off straight white males.
Immigration - they want none or whites only - to the detriment of everyone who doesn't want to live in a fascist white supremacist country.

Those are his policies. They are anti-Democracy.

I like his policies (well-off version) = "I want to live in a white nationalist authoritarian oligarchy that benefits ME and I don't give a (bleep) what happens to everyone else."

I like his policies (middle class version) = "I want to live in a white nationalist authoritarian oligarchy that hurts non-whites, women and gays I don't give a (bleep) what happens to them even if it hurts me too."

I'm sorry, Hillary was right. They are deplorable. Anyone who still supports him and his dangerous, deadly (bleep) show - DEPLORABLE.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Here's the story:

AP sources: White House aware of Russian bounties in 2019

Quote:
Top officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

The White House did not respond to questions about Trump or other officials’ awareness of Russia’s provocations in 2019. The White House has said Trump was not — and still has not been — briefed on the intelligence assessments because they have not been fully verified. However, it is rare for intelligence to be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt before it is presented to top officials.

Since Friday when the story broke, Trump golfed all weekend, denied knowing anything yesterday, and yet as of now HE STILL HASN'T BEEN BRIEFED. That's (bleep) ridiculous.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject:

Trump's "policies."

Quote:
The Center for Public Integrity @publicintegrity

@RollingStone : To put the CDC’s $10 million climate budget in perspective, Trump’s travel to Mar-a-Lago has cost U.S. taxpayers more than $64 million.

Rolling Stone: The Climate Crisis Is Killing Us, and America’s Premier Public-Health Agency Doesn’t Care

Quote:
A thought experiment: What if we lived in a world where the climate crisis directly threatened the lives of rich white guys? How different would the political debate be about cutting carbon and adapting to a superheated world?

These questions occurred to me the other day after reading an excellent new investigation into how the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the top federal public-health agency, has failed to address the public-health implications of climate change, doing virtually nothing to prevent the deaths of thousands of Americans from rising temperatures and other climate impacts.

The report, which was jointly produced by Columbia Journalism Investigates and the Center for Public Integrity, focuses on extreme heat, which has killed more than 10,000 Americans in the past decade or so — more than hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and other natural disasters. And it’s going to get worse. A recent study published in Nature Climate Change found that by 2100, if carbon emissions continue to grow, 74 percent of the world’s population will be exposed to heat waves hot enough to kill. Extreme heat, a.k.a. “the silent killer,” kills people slowly, without fanfare, without media attention. You’re unlikely to ever see a viral video of a black man saying “I can’t breathe” as he slowly dies from heat stroke.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Yes! How times did we hear, but four Americans died? How many hearings did we have? The Republicans will always try to make something out of nothing, and the Democrats, for good reasons and bad, seem to let too much fade away. Then again, with Trump, to stay on top of all his ignorant, specious, incendiary, and manipulative statements and propaganda, all of his mistakes, lies, misdeeds, faux pas, and his corruption, is a full time job in and of itself.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The theme that connects every single Trump scandal -- Donald Trump always puts himself first and the country last.

New Biden/DNC ad:

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1277949168439431169\\

Ad ends with, "Trump. He puts himself first and you last."
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Here's the story:

Quote:
Top officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

The White House did not respond to questions about Trump or other officials’ awareness of Russia’s provocations in 2019. The White House has said Trump was not — and still has not been — briefed on the intelligence assessments because they have not been fully verified. However, it is rare for intelligence to be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt before it is presented to top officials.

Since Friday when the story broke, Trump golfed all weekend, denied knowing anything yesterday, and yet as of now HE STILL HASN'T BEEN BRIEFED. That's (bleep) ridiculous.

Then Bolton is being disingenuous because he has suggested in interviews that if he knew the details of this he would’ve disclosed it in his tell all book. Apparently, he did not.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Here's the story:

Quote:

Let's say it's true, he hasn't been briefed. What does that say about his leadership?

His staff doesn't tell him all? Why? What else do they not tell him. I don't think there has ever been a president that has had intelligence withheld from him.

If his staff doesn't trust him, why should the country?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
She literally has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.

He said Angela Merkel was stupid. Really?

Fact-Checking All of the Mysteries Surrounding Donald Trump and Penn

LINK

Quote:
Mystery #2: Did one of his Wharton professors repeatedly tell friends and associates that Donald Trump “was the dumbest (bleep) student I ever had”?
Quote:
It’s rare for a professor to disparage the intelligence of a student, but according to attorney Frank DiPrima, who was close friends with professor William T. Kelley for 47 years, the prof made an exception for Donald Trump, at least in private. “He must have told me that 100 times over the course of 30 years,” says DiPrima, who has been practicing law since 1963 and has served as in-house counsel for entities including the Federal Trade Commission and Playboy Enterprises. “I remember the inflection of his voice when he said it: ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest (bleep) student I ever had!’” He would say that [Trump] came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything, that he was arrogant and he wasn’t there to learn.” Kelley, who passed away in 2011 at age 94, taught marketing at Wharton for 31 years, retiring in 1982.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2307, 2308, 2309 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2308 of 3663
Jump to: