Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
You aren't going to open for a while then if you are waiting for a vaccine to be widely available. Even with a hurried schedule it will probably take another year or two before any such vaccine is available. Nobody wants to be a guinea pig for an unproven drug either and clinical trials take time.

They're starting phase 3 trials on some of them. There's a lot of work going on in parallel, and of course they're expediting a lot of the bureaucracy.

With a vaccine, we're not starting from square one. If it's built on the same science as other vaccines, then it's taking advantage of a lot we already know works well and is safe, and there's probably very little to worry about long-term.

Consider the unknown but probably minimal chance of any long-term consequences from the vaccine, in relation to the known and much more likely consequences to exposure to coronavirus. People in general do a piss-poor job with risk:benefit evaluation -- it's just the way our brains work. When a vaccine IS available, I'll be in line for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
it would be such a shame if any of you were to leave honest 1-star reviews for Basilicos restaurant in Huntington Beach because its ownership forbids people from wearing masks...even employees. The owner is telling negative reviewers to piss off, too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/basilicos-pasta-e-vino-huntington-beach

The city/county should pull their license.

I just looked to see if there was a county hotline for reporting this, and couldn't find one. I doubt the city would do anything.

I wonder if this would fall under the Health Department’s umbrella. Seems to me that the owner shouldn’t be permitted to force his staff to not wear masks anymore than he should be able to force them not to wear hairnets etc.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
What was surprising to me was the general downward trend in deaths, but yes, very likely deaths will spike. I was thinking we had leveled off, but the decline up to this point since April has been pretty consistent. What we were doing was far more effective than I’d realized.

It's almost like the best advice from experts.....idunno.....worked or something.

Imagine that.

What was the point if states were just going to reopen before a vaccine anyway?

You aren't going to open for a while then if you are waiting for a vaccine to be widely available. Even with a accelerated schedule it will probably take another year or two before any such vaccine is available. Nobody wants to be a guinea pig for an unproven drug either and clinical trials take time.

But states had to close down again anyway... All the economic costs of lockdown were paid with none of the benefits.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
it would be such a shame if any of you were to leave honest 1-star reviews for Basilicos restaurant in Huntington Beach because its ownership forbids people from wearing masks...even employees. The owner is telling negative reviewers to piss off, too.

I just looked to see if there was a county hotline for reporting this, and couldn't find one. I doubt the city would do anything.

I wonder if this would fall under the Health Department’s umbrella. Seems to me that the owner shouldn’t be permitted to force his staff to not wear masks anymore than he should be able to force them not to wear hairnets etc.

If the invisible hand has the force attributed to it, maybe it will help fix this problem.

I, for one, will not go to a restaurant right now that conforms to the strictest social distancing guidelines. If a restaurant wants to be so anti-science and anti-health as to forbid wearing masks during a pandemic . . . I would not even enter the building.

And to think Huntington Beach was once such a cool place.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

As I said on the last page, looks like the seriousness of COVID-19 is sinking in. I'm going out on a limb and surmise Mike Pence's advocating and wearing a mask has made an impact.

At least 12 states pause reopening plans in hopes of slowing coronavirus cases surge

LINK

Jacksonville changes course, issues face mask mandate

LINK

Trump moved the GOP Convention to Jacksonville. Lenny Curry has made wearing masks in closed spaces mandatory. I don't know if the convention is billed for a in or outdoor venue.

If it's indoors because of the new law Trump may relocate the convention or wear a mask. Knowing Trump he'll defy the law and not wear a mask.

I don't know if Curry has the authority to not allow the convention. If he has does he have the cojones to cancel it? Also will Curry make the convention an exception to the rule?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

And then there's Arizona, which is well on the way to being truly bleeped.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

If Trump survives all that's going on WE THE PEOPLE are effed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
What was surprising to me was the general downward trend in deaths, but yes, very likely deaths will spike. I was thinking we had leveled off, but the decline up to this point since April has been pretty consistent. What we were doing was far more effective than I’d realized.

It's almost like the best advice from experts.....idunno.....worked or something.

Imagine that.

What was the point if states were just going to reopen before a vaccine anyway?

You aren't going to open for a while then if you are waiting for a vaccine to be widely available. Even with a accelerated schedule it will probably take another year or two before any such vaccine is available. Nobody wants to be a guinea pig for an unproven drug either and clinical trials take time.

But states had to close down again anyway... All the economic costs of lockdown were paid with none of the benefits.

Pretty much.

Until we have a Congress that makes a law requiring mask wearing and social distancing. And a President who enforces that law.
This will just keep happening over and over again.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
When a vaccine IS available, I'll be in line for one.

Sounds like a plan: Me, too!

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Women, children and seniors first.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

If the invisible hand has the force attributed to it, maybe it will help fix this problem.

I, for one, will not go to a restaurant right now that conforms to the strictest social distancing guidelines. If a restaurant wants to be so anti-science and anti-health as to forbid wearing masks during a pandemic . . . I would not even enter the building.

You couldn’t pay me to go to any restaurant right now. I’m not even all ghat good with takeout now that restaurants have reopened to dine in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

respect for elders
(even though I'm almost 50)

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

You couldn’t pay me to go to any restaurant right now. I’m not even all ghat good with takeout now that restaurants have reopened to dine in.

If a restaurant is that lax in abiding with CDC requirements how are they with I think CAL/OSHA requirements?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

If Trump is still president, I'm guessing, though I can't be far off the mark, that is will be Trump, then more for Trump, then a butt-load more for Trump, then some more, just in case; then his family; then Barr, as he is especially to be rewarded, then the rest of his ass-kissers he puts around him; then his buddy autocrats like Putin; then his plutocrat ilk--the "have-more's" as Bush called them--especially the male variety; then the Republicans who kiss his ass, then the rest of the whites, then their wives (the obedient ones anyway), then . . .
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

What about delivery?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

If Trump is still president, I'm guessing, though I can't be far off the mark, that is will be Trump, then more for Trump, then a butt-load more for Trump, then some more, just in case; then his family; then Barr, as he is especially to be rewarded, then the rest of his ass-kissers he puts around him; then his buddy autocrats like Putin; then his plutocrat ilk--the "have-more's" as Bush called them--especially the male variety; then the Republicans who kiss his ass, then the rest of the whites, then their wives (the obedient ones anyway), then . . .

Oh you LINK

maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

well, the truth is that this is becoming more and more like the flu. and we will never be able to get rid of it until an effective vaccine. We will continue to live in fear because of our inability to quarantine the infected.

using the data here
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/locations.htm

we finally have a nice round number in LA county as we just surpassed 100k infected

if you look down a bit you will see that only about 8% of the infected people are hospitalized ever. That means the other 92k+ had been and is continuously spreading the virus through out la county.

"bending the curve" doesn't work, when in reality we need to break the infection chains (not happening here in the US until vaccine perhaps)

or you can look at it this way, it's just a super flu with 8% hospitalization rate and 3% death rate
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Beaches closed for the 4th of July Weekend in LA County. Most likely because we hit the all time high for cases in LA county today.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

California Covid Deaths for June 29, 2020
-----------------------------------------------

4,061,692 Tests Performed
....4,061,692 Results Rec'd (0 PENDING)
.......216,550 POSITIVE
....3,845,142 NEGATIVE

Day............#.Day............#...Day..........#
2/26/2020 0 4/01/2020 21 5/01/2020 91 6/01/2020 38 (24 from LA Co)
2/27/2020 0 4/02/2020 32 5/02/2020 98 6/02/2020 35 (22 from LA Co)
2/28/2020 0 4/03/2020 34 5/03/2020 44 6/03/2020 75 (59 from LA Co)
2/29/2020 0 4/04/2020 39 5/04/2020 39 6/04/2020 61 (46 from LA Co)
3/01/2020 0 4/05/2020 43 5/05/2020 63 6/05/2020 63 (14 from LA Co)
3/02/2020 0 4/06/2020 24 5/06/2020 95 6/06/2020 74 (34 from LA Co)
3/03/2020 0 4/07/2020 31 5/07/2020 92 6/07/2020 67 (55 from LA Co)
3/04/2020 1 4/08/2020 68 5/08/2020 81 6/08/2020 27 (25 from LA Co)
3/05/2020 0 4/09/2020 50 5/09/2020 93 6/09/2020 44 (10 from LA Co)
3/06/2020 0 4/10/2020 49 5/10/2020 67 6/10/2020 79 (52 from LA Co)
3/07/2020 0 4/11/2020 68 5/11/2020 25 6/11/2020 105 (61 from LA Co)
3/08/2020 0 4/12/2020 42 5/12/2020 77 6/12/2020 62 (45 from LA Co)
3/09/2020 0 4/13/2020 36 5/13/2020 87 6/13/2020 46 (21 from LA Co)
3/10/2020 1 4/14/2020 71 5/14/2020 98 6/14/2020 74 (56 from LA Co)
3/12/2020 4 4/15/2020 63 5/15/2020 76 6/15/2020 26 (17 from LA Co)
3/13/2020 0 4/16/2020 69 5/16/2020 96 6/16/2020 32 (19 from LA Co)
3/14/2020 1 4/17/2020 95 5/17/2020 57 6/17/2020 87 (33 from LA Co)
3/15/2020 0 4/18/2020 87 5/18/2020 41 6/18/2020 82 (32 from LA Co)
3/16/2020 1 4/19/2020 94 5/19/2020 32 6/19/2020 70 (36 from LA Co)
3/17/2020 5 4/20/2020 42 5/20/2020 102 6/20/2020 64 (36 from LA Co)
3/18/2020 2 4/21/2020 60 5/21/2020 106 6/21/2020 71 (47 from LA Co)
3/19/2020 3 4/22/2020 86 5/22/2020 88 6/22/2020 20 (10 from LA Co)
3/20/2020 3 4/23/2020 115 5/23/2020 78 6/23/2020 65 (18 from LA Co)
3/21/2020 4 4/24/2020 93 5/24/2020 66 6/24/2020 52 (33 from LA Co)
3/22/2020 4 4/25/2020 89 5/25/2020 21 6/25/2020 101 (34 from LA Co, 24 OC Co)
3/23/2020 0 4/26/2020 59 5/26/2020 19 6/26/2020 79 (41 from LA, C0)
3/24/2020 13 4/27/2020 45 5/27/2020 70 6/27/2020 60 (21 from LA Co, 17 from OC Co)
3/25/2020 13 4/28/2020 54 5/28/2020 89 6/28/2020 33 (18 from LA Co)
3/26/2020 12 4/29/2020 78 5/29/2020 95 6/29/2020 31 (20 from LA Co)
3/27/2020 13 4/30/2020 95 5/30/2020 88
3/28/2020 23........................5/31/2020 57
3/30/2020 34
3/31/2020 15

.....TOTAL 5936

------Source
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-141.aspx

------Tableau
https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Public?:embed=y&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Beaches closed for the 4th of July Weekend in LA County. Most likely because we hit the all time high for cases in LA county today.

I cycle to the Beach (Newport, HB) every 4th of July. It has to be one of most crowded times of the year. I'm not riding there this year & surprised OC hasn't closed the beaches this year for the 4th.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I cycle to the Beach (Newport, HB) every 4th of July. It has to be one of most crowded times of the year. I'm not riding there this year & surprised OC hasn't closed the beaches this year for the 4th.

It's OC, so I won't hold my breath.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You probably should if you want to avoid catching Coronavirus there...

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It will be fine because no one from surrounding areas will be going to go to the OC beaches.

Yup. Just fine.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

In Massachusetts:

Quote:
For the first time in months, state officials on Tuesday reported zero new deaths in Massachusetts due to the deadly coronavirus pandemic, an encouraging milestone that stood in stark contrast with other states nationwide that have seen recent spikes in their numbers.

I know it's not over and we are all still wearing masks and social distancing state wide, but it's still a relief to get to this milestone.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It will be fine because no one from surrounding areas will be going to go to the OC beaches.

Yup. Just fine.

We are getting to the point where the Orange Curtain may need to be swapped out for a big beautiful wall. In other news, America's fall from grace has been more precipitous than the post Jordan/Pippen Bulls. How did we screw up this bad?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 171 of 318
Jump to: