2020 NFL Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

^
I found Carroll's recent comments about Kaepernick to be so disingenuous. Basically saying "we would have signed him but we viewed him as a starting QB and we had Wilson so we didn't think it was a good fit." Suuuuuuure, the team that preaches competition at every position wouldn't have wanted a really strong backup at the most important position in sports? Seems really fishy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
First Take this morning reported Anthony Lynn, a Black coach, will give Colin a workout this summr.

The debate then turned to, if there were more Black owners, coaches in the NfL would Kap have been gone so long. The overall consensus was NO.

Now it's on Kaepernick. He either has it or he doesn't. Good luck Colin. You have a very hard row to hoe.

Chargers to work out Kaepernick

LINK

Sometimes, coaches like Anthony Lynn and Pete Carroll just need to put up or shut up.

What's the point of saying:

Quote:
Los Angeles Chargers coach Anthony Lynn says teams "would be crazy" not to have free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick on their workout lists this summer.

But then also have this:

Quote:
Lynn said his team does not have plans yet to work out Kaepernick, but did not shut the door on trying him out.

It's time to either do it or not do it. All this talking about how they regret not signing him back then [Pete Carroll] or how it would be crazy for other teams to not have him on the workout list [Anthony Lynn] is just a waste of time if you're not going to actually do something.

I'm starting to believe Kaps gonna get a tryout. Trump walked back his opposition to him. LINK Goodell's also talking up his return. LINK I'm sure he's willing to take a backup spot. I hope Lynn gives him a look. I'd also like to see McVay peek at him.

Rolled by SoFi Stadium today. It's looking good. Steve Ballmer bought the forum. It's cross the street from SoFi. I don't know when the Clippers will be moving to Inglewood. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed their name to the Inglewood Clippers.

Inglewood gonna be getting big bank from the sports teams. The closing of Hollywood Park is in the rear view.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

^
There's a reason the Angels are called the Los Angeles Angels now. Ballmer won't drop the L.A. It's money in pocket.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
There's a reason the Angels are called the Los Angeles Angels now. Ballmer won't drop the L.A. It's money in pocket.

You're probably right. City recognition.

Do you think Kap will get a tryout? If so where would you like to see him go, if anywhere?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

You're probably right. City recognition.

Do you think Kap will get a tryout? If so where would you like to see him go, if anywhere?

I think there's a good chance he'll get workouts, yes. I would first think of teams that may have a penchant for playing "running" QB's. With that in mind:

--The Ravens obviously have Lamar Jackson, the current backup is RG3, and perhaps Kaepernick actually has more to offer than Griffin at this stage, athletically.

--Andy Reid has worked with mobile QB's before and currently (McNabb, Vick, Mahomes), and the current backup for the Chiefs is Chad Henne. Mahomes has been very active about social change, which his head coach has embraced.

--The Bills have Josh Allen as their starter, coach Sean McDermott was the DC in Carolina when Cam Newton was the starter, and the current backup is Matt Barkley.

--The Chargers make sense stylistically, but they just drafted Herbert, still have Tyrod Taylor, and they are also said to like Easton Stick. If they brought Kaepernick in, one of those 3 would have to go. I could see them working him out as a favor.

--I'm not sure that Jerry Jones would go there, but who is Dallas' backup QB right now?

--Houston's current backup for Watson is AJ McCarron.

--With as much as Mike Zimmer wants to run the ball in Minnesota, and since the backup is Sean Mannion, maybe that's a fit.

--The Jets don't have a whole lot behind Sam Darnold.

--The Steelers were able to tread water last season without Big Ben, despite truly awful QB play. Maybe they'd take a look at Kaepernick.

--Seattle, if you believe Pete Carroll, was close to signing him a few years ago. With just Geno Smith behind Wilson, maybe they revisit this.

--I'm not even sure who the backup QB in Tennessee is, behind Tannehill.

EDIT: I obviously missed that Dallas signed Andy Dalton to be Dak's backup.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/20/dallas-goedert-sucker-punched-while-at-dinner/

Quote:
Dallas Goedert sucker-punched while at dinner

Eagles tight end Dallas Goedert was sucker-punched while out to dinner with his family, a source tells PFT.

Goedert, 25, was uninjured.

He was at a South Dakota restaurant on Friday when, unprovoked, someone punched him in the face. Goedert was checked out at a local hospital as a precaution.

No other details about the incident are known right now.

Goedert grew up in South Dakota and attended South Dakota State before the Eagles drafted him in the second round in 2018.

He has 91 catches for 941 yards and nine touchdowns in 31 games over two seasons.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

How drunk do you have to be to not know you're driving into Lake Erie?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/28/cardinals-jermiah-braswell-arrested-for-dui/

Quote:
Cardinals’ Jermiah Braswell arrested for DUI

Cardinals rookie receiver Jermiah Braswell was arrested for driving under the influence after police say he drove his car into Lake Erie on Saturday.

Police in Put-in-Bay, Ohio, say witnesses reported that a car moving very fast went off the road, off the embankment and into the lake. When officers arrived, Braswell was in the car and still attempting to drive.

The police report said Braswell had slurred speech, couldn’t explain how his car went into the water and was found on a breath test to have a blood alcohol content above the legal limit. No one else was in the car and no bystanders were injured.

Braswell grew up in Toledo, about 50 miles from Put-in-Bay, and played his college football.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Former NFL MVP Cam Newton has reached agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the New England Patriots, league sources tell Chris Mortenson and me. Newton now will step into the mix to try to help replace former Patriots’ QB Tom Brady.

Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Former NFL MVP Cam Newton has reached agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the New England Patriots, league sources tell Chris Mortenson and me. Newton now will step into the mix to try to help replace former Patriots’ QB Tom Brady.

Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer

Well, at least they have just given their team some semblance of upside. They've just been moved up to 20-to-1 to win the Super Bowl, which are tied for the 7th-best odds of any team (along with the Eagles).

The Patriots were also fined $1.1 million bucks and they have been stripped of their 2021 3rd Round pick for filming the Bengals sideline.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Where does Cam, Winston and Dalton land?

Also, gaining hope that the Buc's keep OJ Howard...but I am hearing the Bears are looking to add a TE!

I do think it's possible that Newton ends up with the Patriots, even though no one seems to be making that connection. A lot of people thought the Pats would take an early-round QB, which would have shut the door on a Newton signing. (They aren't releasing Stidham or Hoyer, whom they just paid to be a backup because he knows the system.) A lot of people are taking the fact that they didn't use a meaningful pick on a QB to mean that Stidham will be the starter, but there's still an opening for a QB signing now. So we'll see what happens. I guess I could see the Patriots pursuing Dalton if they aren't sold on Stidham, if Newton didn't go there, but they may just prefer to see what Stidham has. Otherwise, Dalton is going to have to settle for a backup job.

Other than that, the only possible opening I see is Jacksonville, where maybe the coaching staff and Caldwell will feel desperate to win. Then again, they could be tanking. It's really hard to see potential openings other than that. I think Winston is going to have to settle for a backup job, at this point, perhaps strategically to a team that has an aging or injury-prone QB. Pittsburgh could be a fit.

Not bad, not bad.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Also, gaining hope that the Buc's keep OJ Howard...but I am hearing the Bears are looking to add a TE!

I do think it's possible that Newton ends up with the Patriots, even though no one seems to be making that connection. A lot of people thought the Pats would take an early-round QB, which would have shut the door on a Newton signing. (They aren't releasing Stidham or Hoyer, whom they just paid to be a backup because he knows the system.) A lot of people are taking the fact that they didn't use a meaningful pick on a QB to mean that Stidham will be the starter, but there's still an opening for a QB signing now. So we'll see what happens. I guess I could see the Patriots pursuing Dalton if they aren't sold on Stidham, if Newton didn't go there, but they may just prefer to see what Stidham has. Otherwise, Dalton is going to have to settle for a backup job.

Other than that, the only possible opening I see is Jacksonville, where maybe the coaching staff and Caldwell will feel desperate to win. Then again, they could be tanking. It's really hard to see potential openings other than that. I think Winston is going to have to settle for a backup job, at this point, perhaps strategically to a team that has an aging or injury-prone QB. Pittsburgh could be a fit.

Not bad, not bad.

Yeah w/ that defense, getting Cam Newton makes them the favorites in their division again.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Not bad, not bad.

Yeah w/ that defense, getting Cam Newton makes them the favorites in their division again.

If he's healthy, I think so. But that's the obvious question. For that reason, I don't hate a bet of Buffalo, now that it's at a little bit of value. The Bills are +140 now, with the Pats +115 as the slight favorite. That Buffalo defense is really legit, too, and don't forget that New England did lose quite a bit of front seven talent on that defense.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Not bad, not bad.

If he's healthy, I think so. But that's the obvious question. For that reason, I don't hate a bet of Buffalo, now that it's at a little bit of value. The Bills are +140 now, with the Pats +115 as the slight favorite. That Buffalo defense is really legit, too, and don't forget that New England did lose quite a bit of front seven talent on that defense.

Yup.

But I’ll never bet against Belichick. He finds a way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

I'll wait until I see how Cam fares in cold weather. He's been up and down in cold weather games.

Norv Turner endorsed Cam Newton to Patriots’ Bill Belichick

LINK

Quote:
Cam Newton landed in New England with an important endorsement.

Veteran coach Norv Turner, who served as the Panthers’ offensive coordinator the last two seasons, reportedly offered a strong recommendation for Newton to Bill Belichick when the Patriots coach called him earlier this offseason.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/10/randall-cunningham-joins-raiders-as-their-team-chaplain/#comments

Quote:
Randall Cunningham joins Raiders as their team chaplain

Randall Cunningham never played for the Raiders during his time as an NFL quarterback, but he has joined the organization ahead of their first season in Las Vegas.

Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com reports that Cunningham will be the team’s chaplain. Cunningham went to UNLV and became a minister in the city after his playing career came to an end.

Cunningham called himself “flabbergasted” about the opportunity to work with the team.

“What a great group of people Mark Davis and Jon Gruden have put together,” Cunningham said. “I have a responsibility to look after these guys in this town and I accept that responsibility.”

Former Raiders running back Napoleon Kaufman had served as the team’s chaplain before their move from Oakland to Las Vegas.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

^^^^ I didn't know Cunningham had joined the ministry. Nice to hear. Hope he's doing well. 🙏🏿

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

He has also coached his daughter into being a top HS high jumper.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Cam Newton Scrambling To Get Up To Speed After Patriots Send Him Playbook Of Every NFL Team

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Hurriedly trying to organize the dozens of boxes from around the league ahead of his preseason season debut, Cam Newton told reporters Thursday that he was scrambling to get up to speed after the New England Patriots sent him a playbook of every NFL team. “This is thousands of pages, it’s going to take forever to read—and I haven’t even started watching all the security footage of teams practicing yet,” said Newton, expressing relief that he was able to rush through all the offenses from Sean McVay’s coaching tree, only to get bogged down by the 49ers tricky defensive scheme. “I’ve gotten formation photos, radio frequencies for headsets, and some of these coaches’ playbooks that go back as far as the ’90s. I thought I’d be able to breeze through the NFC South, but they actually have Panthers plays in here that I’ve never seen before. Oh, God, I’m gonna be up all night.” At press time, Newton had finally finished reading all the playbooks and had moved onto the team’s list of psychological profiles on every NFL quarterback.

https://sports.theonion.com/cam-newton-scrambling-to-get-up-to-speed-after-patriots-1844324700
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Quote:
Cam Newton Scrambling To Get Up To Speed After Patriots Send Him Playbook Of Every NFL Team

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Hurriedly trying to organize the dozens of boxes from around the league ahead of his preseason season debut, Cam Newton told reporters Thursday that he was scrambling to get up to speed after the New England Patriots sent him a playbook of every NFL team. “This is thousands of pages, it’s going to take forever to read—and I haven’t even started watching all the security footage of teams practicing yet,” said Newton, expressing relief that he was able to rush through all the offenses from Sean McVay’s coaching tree, only to get bogged down by the 49ers tricky defensive scheme. “I’ve gotten formation photos, radio frequencies for headsets, and some of these coaches’ playbooks that go back as far as the ’90s. I thought I’d be able to breeze through the NFC South, but they actually have Panthers plays in here that I’ve never seen before. Oh, God, I’m gonna be up all night.” At press time, Newton had finally finished reading all the playbooks and had moved onto the team’s list of psychological profiles on every NFL quarterback.

https://sports.theonion.com/cam-newton-scrambling-to-get-up-to-speed-after-patriots-1844324700

I think the lack of mini-camp, camp, preseason and the shortened season is going to be rough on any vet QB changing teams.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Quote:

I think the lack of mini-camp, camp, preseason and the shortened season is going to be rough on any vet QB changing teams.

Grab a cup of joe and read it again.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Quote:

Grab a cup of joe and read it again.

Yep, I was lazily reacting to an earlier news item when Cam Newton compared New England's playbook to calculus. For what it's worth, learning calculus is far easier than the torture device that Belichick imposes on rookies and first year vets.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The Chiefs came to a contract agreement with Chris Jones, where he gets $60MM guaranteed. I thought for sure they'd move on from him after this year. Not so. Big move for them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

This was broached in the George Floyd thread. I didn't think it appropriate to discuss it there.

Money is the root of all evil.

Snyder steadfastly refused to change the team name in the past. When FedEx, Nike and PepsiCo threatened to sever ties with the organization he changed his tune. LINK

Washington’s NFL team to retire Redskins name, following sponsor pressure and calls for change

LINK

Quote:
For more than two decades, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has fiercely resisted calls to change the name of his team, despite protests that the name is offensive to Native Americans. But Monday morning, with pressure for a change immense and an internal review of the name ongoing, the team announced that it will “retire” the name at the conclusion of the review.

Money can move mountains. I wonder how this will affect the Cleveland Indians? LINK

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Chiefs came to a contract agreement with Chris Jones, where he gets $60MM guaranteed. I thought for sure they'd move on from him after this year. Not so. Big move for them.

I thought he'd get more than that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 21 of 27
Jump to: