Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
At nearly every price point I now prefer rum over whiskey.

Naw bro.

Rum is by far the worst of the 7 spirits.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Winners drink rubbing alcohol, and it's cheaper, too!

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Someone who swallows isopropyl alcohol can act drunk. Effects include sedation, slurred speech, unsteadiness when walking, and vomiting. Isopropyl alcohol is also extremely irritating to the digestive tract. Drinking a lot of it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pain, and bleeding in the stomach and intestines.

link
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

rubbing alcohol = isopropyl alcohol
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Naw bro.

I was ready for you and Omar to give me crap for that. Name me a rum and whiskey that share any price point $20+. I'll drink them both and give you honest feedback.
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend Bacardi is good. But excluding that crap, I think I can find a more enjoyable rum than whiskey at most price points.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Naw bro.

I was ready for you and Omar to give me crap for that. Name me a rum and whiskey that share any price point $20+. I'll drink them both and give you honest feedback.
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend Bacardi is good. But excluding that crap, I think I can find a more enjoyable rum than whiskey at most price points.

I love both of my dark spirit children equally, so I think everyone is correct here. What rums are you drinking, kikanga?

I really enjoy blending rums to get a deeper profile on a drink, which is a unique quality to it among spirits. Some Smith + Cross and a splash of demerara rum like an aged El Dorado (or Lemonhart 151 for a big kick) on top of, say, Appleton Estate in a tiki drink or even stirred cocktail adds a lot of character.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I love both of my dark spirit children equally, so I think everyone is correct here. What rums are you drinking, kikanga?

I really enjoy blending rums to get a deeper profile on a drink, which is a unique quality to it among spirits. Some Smith + Cross and a splash of demerara rum like an aged El Dorado (or Lemonhart 151 for a big kick) on top of, say, Appleton Estate in a tiki drink or even stirred cocktail adds a lot of character.

Looks like you are well schooled in the dark spirits.

A good rum is so versatile. From the same bottle I've poured a neat glass for myself and made tasty cocktails for friends with sensitive palettes.

Cruzan Single Barrel Rum is my current vice.
But since you like mixing rums. Check out Don Q 151. Be careful though. It'll lay you out before you know it. It's a sin to make a 151 that smooth

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:36 am; edited 4 times in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Pickles have never made any dish better. The world would be a better place if they never existed.

Argh. Pickles are essential with so many things. Good BBQ, pastrami sandwich, potato salad...

Quote:

I got three bottles of bourbon for my birthday recently. You, sir, can go...

(Actually I’m getting interested in high end rum for the first time.)
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's all a matter of personal preference, of course, which means there's no objective way for you to prove that.....of course.

That said, here's my challenger:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Naw bro.

As a youngster my drink of choice was a Cuba Libre tall made with Gosling's Bermuda Black Rum 151 Proof. Only took 2 a night, all night.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It's all a matter of personal preference, of course, which means there's no objective way for you to prove that.....of course.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/yoichi2.jpg

That looks amazing! I'm gonna need to figure out how to get my hands on one of those.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That looks amazing! I'm gonna need to figure out how to get my hands on one of those.

Certainly looks like a better value proposition than JW Blue.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Naw bro.

As a youngster my drink of choice was a Cuba Libre tall made with Gosling's Bermuda Black Rum 151 Proof. Only took 2 a night, all night.

That'll knock you on your ass - I dig it. I have an unopened bottle of that Gosling's 151 that I might need to crack this weekend with a cigar.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Naw bro.

That'll knock you on your ass - I dig it. I have an unopened bottle of that Gosling's 151 that I might need to crack this weekend with a cigar.

You whiskey guys should try Bushido Whiskey. I would personally never pay for it (way out of my price range) but I've had the chance to try some and it was the smoothest whiskey I've had by a mile.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I ordered that bottle directly from Japan. I think they flew it over first class, and the Emperor hand-delivered it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
You whiskey guys should try Bushido Whiskey. I would personally never pay for it (way out of my price range) but I've had the chance to try some and it was the smoothest whiskey I've had by a mile.

I've had their Meido and it was very nice.

BTW, you gotta get the spelling right. In Ireland and the US it’s whiskey, but in Scotland, Canada and Japan, it’s whisky.

Also BTW, if you REALLY want to go crazy, you go here: LINK
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

BTW, you gotta get the spelling right. In Ireland and the US it’s whiskey, but in Scotland, Canada and Japan, it’s whisky.

Good lawd. I'd feel guilty drinking that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
BTW, you gotta get the spelling right. In Ireland and the US it’s whiskey, but in Scotland, Canada and Japan, it’s whisky

Ultimately, the place that actually matters. And then it’s called scotch. As it should be.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Good lawd. I'd feel guilty drinking that.

In my younger days as a server I helped work a private party where a law firm had won a huge case and the partners were drinking like they had just won the Stanley Cup including bottles of the most expensive wine we had. It went for over three hours and one of the sloshed dudes (they were all dudes) told me to just start pouring the remaining partiers the "cheap stuff" and bottle the really expensive stuff for me and the servers to take home because the partners were so sloshed that in his slurred words, "we can't tell the difference between a $1,000 and a $10 wine at this point."
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I ordered that bottle directly from Japan. I think they flew it over first class, and the Emperor hand-delivered it.

LMAO. I'm searching online how to get that delivered. Haven't found a site in english that does. But I'll keep looking.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I enjoy Japanese whisky, and as with many things they are technically proficient to the nth degree. But, and I admit this may be completely my bias working backward to a conclusion, there’s a lack of there there. It’s all precision and no romance. Scotch to me is about a feel as much as a flavor note. And while I may be deluding myself, I like to think that the peat and the old still and the nostalgia matter.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Kikanga might be surprised, but I’m not going to throw too much shade on good rum. I’ve had a twenty year old Nicaraguan that is like a great cognac, so I respect the craft of it. My taste leans to the great whisky because of the complexity of the malt and such vs cane as a substrate, but good rum is nothing to throw stones at.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LMAO. I'm searching online how to get that delivered. Haven't found a site in english that does. But I'll keep looking.

The site I pointed out above is where I got mine. They also have a few things below the $10K price point. Extremely good customer service.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I enjoy Japanese whisky, and as with many things they are technically proficient to the nth degree. But, and I admit this may be completely my bias working backward to a conclusion, there’s a lack of there there. It’s all precision and no romance. Scotch to me is about a feel as much as a flavor note. And while I may be deluding myself, I like to think that the peat and the old still and the nostalgia matter.

Not arguing in the least. Still love me some Balvenie 21 Portwood, and Lagavulin 16 whenever I want an Islay.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not arguing in the least. Still love me some Balvenie 21 Portwood, and Lagavulin 16 whenever I want an Islay.

Bruichladdich is doing some interesting things.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: