Happy Juneteenth

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Juneteenth be a National Holiday?
YES
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
NO
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
UNDECIDED
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
OTHER Specify
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Happy Juneteenth

The Emancipation Proclamation was signed 1/1/1863. Slaves weren't made aware they were free until 6/19/1865, Juneteenth. It's recognized at the state level in 47 states including DC. As a Black I admit bias. I think it should be a National holiday.

There's a bill in the house to make it a national holiday. It's been before presented and not passed.

Discuss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

It sure would be better than Columbus Day, but then that is such a low bar.

While we are at it, a national holiday celebrating our health care workers should be considered.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

I'll be honest and say that i did not know about Juneteenth until this year. With that said, the day should and probably will be a national holiday soon.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
I'll be honest and say that i did not know about Juneteenth until this year. With that said, the day should and probably will be a national holiday soon.

Neither did Trump. Trump Claims ‘Nobody Had Ever Heard Of’ Juneteenth Before He Made It ‘Very Famous’. Man, this dude is so out of touch it's scary.

Don't feel bad. I have Black friends from Belize and Africa who didn't know about Juneteenth.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I am sure I will write more later

Just be sure to realize Trump made NO mistake

By assigning his HATE RALLY

On... a Day African Americans have to be reminded they were once slaves..

In a city where when they tried to do it all correct and proper and their hard work and industriousness and Spirit brought them wealth and success... THE WHITES RIOTED AND BURNED THEIR HOMES AND BUSINESSES

I don't want to hijack but I was going to add Trumps lame comment about how Lincolns results could be questioned.. Many myself included saw that as saying ending slaverys results were questionable .. I was sure he said something that hateful.. BUT

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/what-was-trump-trying-to-say-about-abraham-lincoln.html

^^Jeremy Stahl is a pretty good Trumpslator..

3rd paragraph from bottom
Quote:
Trump was likely attempting to say that while “I think I’ve done more for the black community than any other president,” he would ask that in such a ranking “let’s take a pass” on including Lincoln, because it’s an unfair comparison, but—even if he were to go head-to-head with Lincoln for the title of “best president for black people ever”—despite the fact that Lincoln “did good,” it would still be “always questionable” whether Trump was better, because you have to consider “the end result” of each man’s presidency
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: