jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I was thinking about getting a PS4 to play Resident Evil 2. Is the PS5 worth waiting for?

Yea, PS4 is pointless right now. PS5 will be backwards compatible (unlike PS4), SSD that is faster than most SSDs in PCs, better controllers, better cooling, 4K gaming at 60 FPS. Source: Link

I’m guessing the PS5 will be 500-600 dollars on launch, and that probably won’t include any games. Buying a fairly cheap PS4 bundle could be well worth it if you can find some. There was a bundle I saw recently that was 300 bucks for a PS4 and Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War included, which are two of the better games for the system that are both probably close to 50+ hour games each. RE2 would be another 10-20 hours, depending on how much you replay it, and the Last of Us Remastered is an incredible game, with the sequel coming out in a little more than a week from now.

I tend to be an early adopter, so I’ll probably pick up both the PS5 and the Xbox X when they launch, but Getting a PS4 now could absolutely make sense if you’re a budget gamer. Much cheaper console, and a crap ton of great games for 20 bucks in the “Greatest Hits” lineup. The backwards compatibility is nice, but neither system is likely to be cheap.

Those PS4 bundles have long since sold out and are going for $400+ on Amazon now through re-sellers. I paid $400 for the PS4 at launch in 2013; paying the same price for a seven year old system (the included games are 10 dollars each and playable on PS5, so they're negligible in value) seems like a waste of money to me, especially since the regular PS4 (non-pro) struggles to run newer games (will certainly be the case for the Last of Us part 2).

In terms of games, PS5 will have plenty of games: launch titles for PS5 + top 100 PS4 games. Let's say the PS5 is $600 (probably the most expensive it will be); you are paying $200 more for a console that may outperform new gaming PCs (that cost $1k+) on arrival and will last you seven years.

I don't think it's going to outperform new gaming PC's at the time it's released. The Nvidia 3000 series cards are going to come out right around the same time as the PS5 and the upper mid level variant will almost certainly dominate the new consoles. It'll be even worse at the top end. The difference will be even more severe year after year. Granted, the sweet spot in their video card lineup will probably be $500-600 bucks alone so it won't come cheap.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I was thinking about getting a PS4 to play Resident Evil 2. Is the PS5 worth waiting for?

Yea, PS4 is pointless right now. PS5 will be backwards compatible (unlike PS4), SSD that is faster than most SSDs in PCs, better controllers, better cooling, 4K gaming at 60 FPS. Source: Link

I’m guessing the PS5 will be 500-600 dollars on launch, and that probably won’t include any games. Buying a fairly cheap PS4 bundle could be well worth it if you can find some. There was a bundle I saw recently that was 300 bucks for a PS4 and Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War included, which are two of the better games for the system that are both probably close to 50+ hour games each. RE2 would be another 10-20 hours, depending on how much you replay it, and the Last of Us Remastered is an incredible game, with the sequel coming out in a little more than a week from now.

I tend to be an early adopter, so I’ll probably pick up both the PS5 and the Xbox X when they launch, but Getting a PS4 now could absolutely make sense if you’re a budget gamer. Much cheaper console, and a crap ton of great games for 20 bucks in the “Greatest Hits” lineup. The backwards compatibility is nice, but neither system is likely to be cheap.

Those PS4 bundles have long since sold out and are going for $400+ on Amazon now through re-sellers. I paid $400 for the PS4 at launch in 2013; paying the same price for a seven year old system (the included games are 10 dollars each and playable on PS5, so they're negligible in value) seems like a waste of money to me, especially since the regular PS4 (non-pro) struggles to run newer games (will certainly be the case for the Last of Us part 2).

In terms of games, PS5 will have plenty of games: launch titles for PS5 + top 100 PS4 games. Let's say the PS5 is $600 (probably the most expensive it will be); you are paying $200 more for a console that may outperform new gaming PCs (that cost $1k+) on arrival and will last you seven years.

I don't think it's going to outperform new gaming PC's at the time it's released. The Nvidia 3000 series cards are going to come out right around the same time as the PS5 and the upper mid level variant will almost certainly dominate the new consoles. It'll be even worse at the top end. The difference will be even more severe year after year. Granted, the sweet spot in their video card lineup will probably be $500-600 bucks alone so it won't come cheap.

I would reckon that a 2080ti would destroy the ps5 already.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
So when is the discord for LG gamers happening?

I use Discord just because one of the biggest Borderlands 3 streamers has save files for me to download and try out different builds. Beyond that, I have literallly NO idea what it's for.

I'm totally down to join or start one if people are interested. It'd be fun to play with you fools.

I'm totally down. Discord is basically slack for gamers. It's IRC for gen-z but with way better functionality.

Let me try and make one to see where it goes.

https://discord.gg/fE8tbq
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

To clarify, I didn't mean the PS5 will outperform all new PCs. However, for the price of the PS5, it's gonna be tough to build a PC that outperforms it at that price. The 2080 TI costs roughly $1K, so, yea, if you want to spend 2k+ on a new PC, it's gonna beat a PS5.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

To clarify, I didn't mean the PS5 will outperform all new PCs. However, for the price of the PS5, it's gonna be tough to build a PC that outperforms it at that price. The 2080 TI costs roughly $1K, so, yea, if you want to spend 2k+ on a new PC, it's gonna beat a PS5.

Its kind of an apples and oranges comparison because a PC with that kind of horsepower serves much more than just being a media center .
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

No doubt. I was thinking more in terms of upper midrange a la 2060-2070 supers.

I'm just waiting for Cyberpunk to see what kind of horsepower I'm going to need to get the settings I want. Witcher 3 was a monster when it came out in 2016 and forced me to upgrade.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

No doubt. I was thinking more in terms of upper midrange a la 2060-2070 supers.

I'm just waiting for Cyberpunk to see what kind of horsepower I'm going to need to get the settings I want. Witcher 3 was a monster when it came out in 2016 and forced me to upgrade.

I think i had 3 gtx 780 tis when witcher 3 came out so i was fine for a while. My next upgrade was the 1080 ti and then 2080ti.

The rule of thumb is you can skip a generation in between upgrades.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

https://hypebeast.com/2020/6/sony-playstation-5-ps5-price-leak-amazon-xbox-series-x

Possible $500 price tag for the Ps5, $400 for the disc-less version.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:

I have to say the dang thing looks sexy as hell. If I had the means, I'd love to have the media room with that and these badboys as my front soundstage.

https://us.kef.com/kef-blade-two.html
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Any thoughts on the Digital version versus standard? Putting aside price difference of the console variations, do the digital games usually cost more?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Any thoughts on the Digital version versus standard? Putting aside price difference of the console variations, do the digital games usually cost more?

I'm not sure on the prices but isn't the big drawback with digital ones that you can only play on your account? With disks, you can lend it out. I swap games all the time with friends and family.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

Digital games are the same price upon release. After that you may find a physical disc cheaper than its digital counterpart and vise versa. Can’t hit up the Gamespot sale bin if you don’t have a drive. The biggest issue with digital only is storage space. Interested to see how PS5 handles external storage. With my PS4 I mostly downloaded games rather than purchase discs. I did run out of room though. You have to remove a game from your system before you can download another when that happens. You can re-download the removed title again if you want to go back to it but the files are massive and it takes time.

If I get a Ps5 I’ll probably go with the digital edition. Especially if it’s $100 cheaper.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

I'm not sure on the prices but isn't the big drawback with digital ones that you can only play on your account? With disks, you can lend it out. I swap games all the time with friends and family.

The other thing re digital to keep in mind - no funny business online. If you piss off the wrong person, or get "caught" cheating, and Sony decides it merits a ban of your account . . . no more game for you.
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Digital games are the same price upon release. After that you may find a physical disc cheaper than its digital counterpart and vise versa. Can’t hit up the Gamespot sale bin if you don’t have a drive. The biggest issue with digital only is storage space. Interested to see how PS5 handles external storage. With my PS4 I mostly downloaded games rather than purchase discs. I did run out of room though. You have to remove a game from your system before you can download another when that happens. You can re-download the removed title again if you want to go back to it but the files are massive and it takes time.

If I get a Ps5 I’ll probably go with the digital edition. Especially if it’s $100 cheaper.

Just swap out the PS4 drive for a larger one
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Yeah just haven’t found it necessary. I’m only ever really playing one game at a time and I’m not a hardcore gamer. There should hopefully be easier solutions for PS5 like expandable storage (the Xbox Series X has an expansion slot).
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Yeah just haven’t found it necessary. I’m only ever really playing one game at a time and I’m not a hardcore gamer. There should hopefully be easier solutions for PS5 like expandable storage (the Xbox Series X has an expansion slot).

I'm a fan of the digital trend as well, the space issue was mainly what I had concern over with as well,
I usually don't trade games with anyone or return to games when I finish them either. I'm thinking I'd go with digital if it does turn out to be a 100 bucks cheaper, which is my guess where Sony will price it if they want a significant adoption.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

From what Sony said you will eventually be able to add a nvme ssd expansion, but probably not at launch. Sony has to approve that the ssd is fast enough. So it will probably be more expensive than it was to expand the PS4 storage. PS5 comes with a 825GB SSD. So that should be fine for a while.

PS5 does also support expandable external hard drives. That is expected to only work for backwards compatible PS4 games and not PS5 games. As hard drives are slower than an SSD.

My personally guess is that the digital version of the PS5 will be $50 cheaper and not $100. If it was actually $100 cheaper I would be tempted to go digital. I usually still bought discs for the PS4. I like being able to sell a game or just give it someone after I beat it. When I beat a game I am likely done with it for good.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

From what Sony said you will eventually be able to add a nvme ssd expansion, but probably not at launch. Sony has to approve that the ssd is fast enough. So it will probably be more expensive than it was to expand the PS4 storage. PS5 comes with a 825GB SSD. So that should be fine for a while.

PS5 does also support expandable external hard drives. That is expected to only work for backwards compatible PS4 games and not PS5 games. As hard drives are slower than an SSD.

My personally guess is that the digital version of the PS5 will be $50 cheaper and not $100. If it was actually $100 cheaper I would be tempted to go digital. I usually still bought discs for the PS4. I like being able to sell a game or just give it someone after I beat it. When I beat a game I am likely done with it for good.

What a weird size.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

I’m addicted to PS4 so it’s easy to say that I’m gonna get PS5, can’t wait to see how 2k21 looks on PS5.. I’m excited.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I’m addicted to PS4 so it’s easy to say that I’m gonna get PS5, can’t wait to see how 2k21 looks on PS5.. I’m excited.

You've probably already seen the preview, but, if you haven't, it's worth checking out: NBA 2k21 YouTube
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You've probably already seen the preview, but, if you haven't, it's worth checking out: NBA 2k21 YouTube

Wow thanks, looks amazing
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watching the live stream?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

PS5 with disc drive $499

PS5 digital edition $399

November 12th

Final Fantasy 16 PS5 console exclusive(Coming to PC)

New God of War.

Looks like we are getting a playstation plus collection at launch.

I have switched from thinking of going to going xbox series X to now planning to get the PS5. That is if I can a pre-order. I wonder when they will the pre-order's will open.

edit

Quote:
@geoffkeighley
Per Sony, #PlayStation5 pre-orders will be available starting TOMORROW at select retailers.

Quote:
Horizon Forbidden West and Sackboy A Big Adventure is coming to PS4 according to PS Blog Japan

So like xbox is doing. Spider-Man Miles Morales is also coming to PS4. No major reason to get either console at launch other than getting the best graphical experience and load times. I will get it to get the new next gen NBA 2k.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I'll get one when GTA VI is released.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Pre-ordering has been a (bleep) show thus far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: