Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley among players that do not want to play
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley among players that do not want to play

Per Shams
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Could LeBron talk them out of it?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Shams jumped the gun, Mitchell is denying it

https://mobile.twitter.com/spidadmitchell/status/1271630387542982656
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Shams article says only this about Bradley:

Quote:
Bradley, the Lakers guard, was the second person to speak on the call behind Irving and was vocal throughout, urging players to take a stand and utilize this moment to “play chess, not checkers,” those sources said.

And these were the other key points:

Quote:
— Anthony stressed unity, having a sole message and allowing the young players in the NBA a voice. At one point, Anthony suggested having all 80 players on the call donating $25,000 to a cause that they wanted.

— McCollum stated that players must be prepared for the financial dip if they choose not to play, and owners completely ripping apart the collective bargaining agreement.

— The NBPA’s leadership stated it is believed no fans will be permitted into games for the entire 2020-21 season.

— Howard stressed to players that playing in Orlando will become a distraction from the issues the country is facing, and that they need to unify and use this moment to create a change.

— Mitchell expressed concerns about playing due to “being behind the 8-ball” having not played five-on-five and being thrust into a competitive environment and eight-game regular season. “We’re taking a big (injury) risk,” Mitchell said. Mitchell is up for a maximum contract extension this summer.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I cant really fault these guys for trying to figure out how to use their fame to help people, and as much as we'd hate to not see more games, sitting out is definitely a tactic thats available to them right now.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

There are legitimate reasons for players to have trepidation about restarting the season right now. I believe ultimately they’ll play, but I’m glad they’re talking about it.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Good luck to players listening to Kyrie Irving
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
I cant really fault these guys for trying to figure out how to use their fame to help people, and as much as we'd hate to not see more games, sitting out is definitely a tactic thats available to them right now.

Please explain how it helps average to below average players

Negotiating new cba in a pandemic
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Looks like Shams jumped the gun, Mitchell is denying it

https://mobile.twitter.com/spidadmitchell/status/1271630387542982656

U know it’s all media driven bs when Kyrie is voice of reason
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I understand wanting to make a change to the often divided and damaged fabric of this country, but I don't see how refusing to play achieves the end result.

Hoping we can get back to full NBA basketball but maybe it won't happen in the end
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I had a feeling two of the Lakers would have been Dwight and Bradley. Why couldn’t it be Rondo, those guys are very key pieces to our success.🤣 All jokes aside, I understand if players don’t want to play.

On a different note, my job is terminating if people don’t have a good reason for not returning. I think bubble basketball with testing is way safer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
I understand wanting to make a change to the often divided and damaged fabric of this country, but I don't see how refusing to play achieves the end result.

Hoping we can get back to full NBA basketball but maybe it won't happen in the end

It is more that some think that playing to make (mostly white) owners not loose money cheapens the message. Now if ownership were to donate that money to the cause it might look different.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

We also have to know its media/agent driven agenda when Kyrie is the leader

lol
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

It is more that some think that playing to make (mostly white) owners not loose money cheapens the message. Now if ownership were to donate that money to the cause it might look different.

Come back to us when you donate ur social security to some cause before asking owners to guns money to charity
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

Come back to us when you donate ur social security to some cause before asking owners to guns money to charity

I actually appreciate the answer he gave...

I think the flip side is that the NBA would imply thousands and thousands of non white team/league/network/Disney/ESPN employees.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how refusing to play accomplishes anything ot helps "the cause." How would not playing be of any help at all?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Side note. The fact that the Game of Zones show kinda called this Kyrie thing is funny if you watched the recent season finale.

Seriously though it doesn't sound too promising for the season to resume as of now. It is what it is. Players have to be ready for the financial ramifications. The future of the CBA effects vets on minimum deals less than it will effect the younger players future.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:

Bradley I don't know and I don't care, but that Howard at the right time would have behaved as the idiot he is has never touched me as a doubt
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

I actually appreciate the answer he gave...

I think the flip side is that the NBA would imply thousands and thousands of non white team/league/network/Disney/ESPN employees.

Disney employees who go home after work to family and friends and aren’t being tested.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

I don't think the timing is very smart. To be honest we have already gotten used to no basketball, so not playing won't have the same impact. Stopping an in progress season would have been more effective. If they play they will have a large audience to get the message out. Not playing would just be a footnote on a very messed up year.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I don't think the timing is very smart. To be honest we have already gotten used to no basketball, so not playing won't have the same impact. Stopping an in progress season would have been more effective. If they play they will have a large audience to get the message out. Not playing would just be a footnote on a very messed up year.

Agreed. With the country missing sports so much since March, the first league back will have more eyes and ears on it than ever before. This is a HUGE platform that can be spoken from on a daily basis, and the NBA is by far the most pro-free speech of the pro sports leagues. For players who wish to keep attention on BLM this is a golden opportunity to do so- imagine every post-game press conference having multiple players say something about the cause.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

If there is no basketball nobody is paying attention to anything basketball players are saying, other then Lebron( & some others)

Use the nba platform to spread the word and make money, not everybody is Kyrie and getting paid in brinks
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

I have been waiting for black players in either the NBA or NFL to come together and make demands or sit out. I would respect them a whole lot more if they could somehow put aside their selfishness and do that, but I don't think it will happen. The fans who care more about being entertained than the deep problems we have in our society will be salty, but (bleep) em!

I love sports, basketball especially, but if they refused to play as a form of protest I would have renewed faith in humans.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I have been waiting for black players in either the NBA or NFL to come together and make demands or sit out. I would respect them a whole lot more if they could somehow put aside their selfishness and do that, but I don't think it will happen. The fans who care more about being entertained than the deep problems we have in our society will be salty, but (bleep) em!

I love sports, basketball especially, but if they refused to play as a form of protest I would have renewed faith in humans.

I'm not going to argue whether they get more traction by forcing the season to cancel or by trying to use the cameras that will already be there for literally months. But, there has to be consideration for the players taking advantage of being literally the only major sport on TV and using that platform to get their message out there. Kyrie's typical scorched earth approach will 100% lead to a scrapped CBA and none of the existing contracts being honored. Yet, he claims to be representing the smaller players with smaller salaries. Doesn't really add up. Austin Rivers' response to him today makes that point well enough.

I can see someone like Bron basically demanding that the league provide them with a separate studio area at Disney that they can use to televise their own round tables or whatever it is they want to put out there - to be setup and broadcast as pregames / halftime content and perhaps between games as well. They won't have fans in the stands. They are hurting for anything to fill content when the game isn't live. And they're going to have captive audiences like never before. This could end up being a good opportunity as opposed to something they decide to cancel.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
If there is no basketball nobody is paying attention to anything basketball players are saying, other then Lebron( & some others)

Use the nba platform to spread the word and make money, not everybody is Kyrie and getting paid in brinks

TV is still the media of choice to get the most eyeballs. Social media still doesn't get all the demographics that television does. So if they want to make the most noise being back on TV will do it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: