A white woman has apologized after calling police on a black man and saying 'there's an African American man threatening my life'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject:

David Aldridge is 100% correct

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I may be wrong. I think that was meant to be a question. ? instead of .

Yeah, it’s a rhetorical question.

And it wasn’t a question about this instance, since no one questions that this was race related.

It was a rhetorical question about all the other times that the race card is played and people question if bringing race up was right or premature.

David Aldridge’s last comment basically says - don’t ever question when the race card is played.

No it doesn’t. It reminds people that racism, not the accusation of it, is the larger problem.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

I think that interpretation is kind of what he was getting at. There are false accusations of everything. You don’t hear people saying “he played the murder card” though. Because the term has been created to diminish the impact of racism accusations.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Hillary got roasted for "playing the woman card" when she ran in 2008. It was meant to dissuade her from discussing the real prejudice and inequality faced by women. So she downplayed being woman candidate. In 2016 she realized that it had done no good to avoid discussing misogyny and was more open in discussing women's issues and sexism. Does that mean she "played the woman card?" No. It meant she was sick and tired of the misogyny and decided to address it in the open.

Black people don't "play the race card." They can choose to openly discuss race and the ways racism affects them. This is not playing the race card. Playing the race card is when WHITE PEOPLE accuse BLACK PEOPLE of playing the race card in order to shut them up because those discussions make them feel uncomfortable. White people accusing blacks of playing the race card is in fact exactly how WHITE PEOPLE PLAY THE RACE CARD.

Pretending it's the other way around is 100% bull-(bleep).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Isn't it interesting how some people admit we have racism in this country and yet no single incident is ever racist? And if people connect the dots of all the racist incidents they are playing the race card? Again, that's transparent racist propaganda bull-(bleep) trying to flip the script and blame the wrong party for racism. It's like right-wing racists blaming Obama for racism. Just, no. You should be embarrassed to play that game in public because WE SEE YOU.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Isn't it interesting how some people admit we have racism in this country and yet no single incident is ever racist?

Seems like every poster in here agrees that what this white woman did was racist.

ChefLinda wrote:
And if people connect the dots of all the racist incidents they are playing the race card?

Playing the race card has to do with bringing race into an issue where it appears race was not an issue.

ChefLinda wrote:
Black people don't "play the race card."

ChefLinda wrote:
Playing the race card is when WHITE PEOPLE accuse BLACK PEOPLE of playing the race card in order to shut them up because those discussions make them feel uncomfortable. White people accusing blacks of playing the race card is in fact exactly how WHITE PEOPLE PLAY THE RACE CARD.

Here's an example of 3 black men discussing if another black man was playing the race card. [No white people in this discussion]

Speak For Yourself | Issue with Donovan McNabb playing race card?

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about?

If I was to quip "HE'S calling ME fat?" about someone who's 300 pounds, I'm making no assertions that I have 3% body fat and have never eaten a cookie. I'm saying that given the facts, that person is in no position to be making that judgment about other people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

The woman got her dog back.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

If I was to quip "HE'S calling ME fat?" about someone who's 300 pounds, I'm making no assertions that I have 3% body fat and have never eaten a cookie. I'm saying that given the facts, that person is in no position to be making that judgment about other people.

I thought I was pretty clear? I said I agreed with EVERYTHING David Aldridge said in his essay, EXCEPT his last remark.

What is it that has you confused?

He wrote a whole essay about a scenario between a black man and a white woman in Central Park.

And concluded it with a remark about race card. It wasn't a race card issue. No one accused anyone of playing the race card in that singular scenario. The scenario that he was writing about.

He used that one scenario to jump to another conclusion regarding race cards.

I disagreed with that remark. That's it.

It's one thing to disagree with what I'm saying. It's another thing to say WTF are you talking about?

Like I said, I'm just sharing my opinion of how I interpreted that essay to me.

You posted the essay. I shared my feelings on it. That's it. If that bothers you, maybe I shouldn't have shared my thoughts on it.

I was under the impression that you shared that essay so people can read it and share their opinions on it? That's exactly what I did.

I didn't get from the essay the same reaction that you did. If you're looking for a reaction that 100% fits your own reaction, then tell me what you're looking for and I can go back and edit my posts to fit what you want to see/read.

If you're looking for an honest reaction, then that was my honest reaction. I didn't (and still don't) agree with David Aldridge's last remark.

The thing I don't get around here is, why is there so much pressure to interpret/see/react to things the same way?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's the whole idea of "the race card" as a concept. It was coined specifically to disparage all claims of racism by being easy to throw at any. That's it's designed purpose.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

I thought I was pretty clear? I said I agreed with EVERYTHING David Aldridge said in his essay, EXCEPT his last remark.

What is it that has you confused?

He wrote a whole essay about a scenario between a black man and a white woman in Central Park.

And concluded it with a remark about race card. It wasn't a race card issue. No one accused anyone of playing the race card in that singular scenario. The scenario that he was writing about.

He used that one scenario to jump to another conclusion regarding race cards.

I disagreed with that remark. That's it.

It's one thing to disagree with what I'm saying. It's another thing to say WTF are you talking about?

Like I said, I'm just sharing my opinion of how I interpreted that essay to me.

You posted the essay. I shared my feelings on it. That's it. If that bothers you, maybe I shouldn't have shared my thoughts on it.

I was under the impression that you shared that essay so people can read it and share their opinions on it? That's exactly what I did.

I didn't get from the essay the same reaction that you did. If you're looking for a reaction that 100% fits your own reaction, then tell me what you're looking for and I can go back and edit my posts to fit what you want to see/read.

If you're looking for an honest reaction, then that was my honest reaction. I didn't (and still don't) agree with David Aldridge's last remark.

The thing I don't get around here is, why is there so much pressure to interpret/see/react to things the same way?

I reread Aldridge's article and have a different interpretation and understanding. It's now my opinion it wasn't a question it was a statement.

He had reason to say WE'RE playing the race card. It was apropos.

Amy Cooper introduced the race card when she said "I'm going to call the police and say "There's a African American man threatening my life."

As you said we don't all interpret the same action the same.

LBP I issue to you, give a honest unfettered view to the interpretations of others. You may find a seam that allows their views validity.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I reread Aldridge's article and have a different interpretation and understanding. It's now my opinion it wasn't a question it was a statement.

He had reason to say WE'RE playing the race card. It was apropos.

Amy Cooper introduced the race card when she said "I'm going to call the police and say "There's a African American man threatening my life."

As you said we don't all interpret the same action the same.

LBP I issue to you, give a honest unfettered view to the interpretations of others. You may find a seam that allows their views validity.

Yeah, if you want an honest discussion with me, PM me.

Publicly, I'm just going to say David Aldridge was 100% right and I have no disagreements with anything Mr. David Aldridge wrote in his essay.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Any interested Christian Cooper will be on All In With Chris Hayes in a bit. Amy Cooper called 911 on him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Woman who called cops on Black man birdwatching in Central Park faces charges

New York (CNN)The White woman who called cops on a Black man who was birdwatching in Central Park will be prosecuted, the Manhattan district attorney said Monday.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Black birdwatcher in Central Park 911 call has not cooperated with prosecutors, NYT reports

(CNN)Christian Cooper, the Black man who filmed a White woman calling the police on him while he was birdwatching in Central Park in May, has not cooperated with the Manhattan district attorney's investigation, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"On the one hand, she's already paid a steep price," Cooper said in a statement, according to the Times. "That's not enough of a deterrent to others? Bringing her more misery just seems like piling on."

On Monday, the Manhattan district attorney announced plans to prosecute the woman, Amy Cooper (no relation), on a charge of falsely reporting an incident in the third degree. She has been issued a desk appearance ticket and is scheduled for arraignment October 14.

Christian Cooper expressed his personal ambivalence with the prosecution in his statement to the Times.

"So if the DA feels the need to pursue charges, he should pursue charges. But he can do that without me," he said.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Black birdwatcher in Central Park 911 call has not cooperated with prosecutors, NYT reports

(CNN)Christian Cooper, the Black man who filmed a White woman calling the police on him while he was birdwatching in Central Park in May, has not cooperated with the Manhattan district attorney's investigation, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"On the one hand, she's already paid a steep price," Cooper said in a statement, according to the Times. "That's not enough of a deterrent to others? Bringing her more misery just seems like piling on."

On Monday, the Manhattan district attorney announced plans to prosecute the woman, Amy Cooper (no relation), on a charge of falsely reporting an incident in the third degree. She has been issued a desk appearance ticket and is scheduled for arraignment October 14.

Christian Cooper expressed his personal ambivalence with the prosecution in his statement to the Times.

"So if the DA feels the need to pursue charges, he should pursue charges. But he can do that without me," he said.

Again Christian going high. His action may do more to cause Amy to change her ways than the DA's case. He's expressing empathy not malice. I don't think Amy expected this.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Again Christian going high. His action may do more to cause Amy to change her ways than the DA's case. He's expressing empathy not malice. I don't think Amy expected this.

I had the same initial reaction as you. Then I thought about it and I changed my mind.

Yes, Christian is showing pity for the woman, and that's to be commended. However, he should also think about testifying against her.

It'd be more beneficial to black people if the DA is able to convict this woman. It sets an example that you can't just do this and get away with it. You will be punished. You will go to jail.

If the DA goes ahead and tries and prosecutes her w/o Christian Coopers help, then he might lose the case. If she's able to be acquitted of all charges, then that sets a bad precedent that people can do this stuff and get away with it.

I think the right thing for Christian Cooper to do is to help the DA prosecute this woman. It'll only help other Black Americans avoid this same situation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

I had the same initial reaction as you. Then I thought about it and I changed my mind.

Yes, Christian is showing pity for the woman, and that's to be commended. However, he should also think about testifying against her.

It'd be more beneficial to black people if the DA is able to convict this woman. It sets an example that you can't just do this and get away with it. You will be punished. You will go to jail.

If the DA goes ahead and tries and prosecutes her w/o Christian Coopers help, then he might lose the case. If she's able to be acquitted of all charges, then that sets a bad precedent that people can do this stuff and get away with it.

I think the right thing for Christian Cooper to do is to help the DA prosecute this woman. It'll only help other Black Americans avoid this same situation.

I feel you but I don't think the DA needs Christian. The video is a slam dunk. Amy will be found guilty. A first year law student could get a conviction on this one.

His testifying would make him seem vindictive. That doesn't seem to be the type man he is. His example is to be commended, one other Black Americans should emulate IMO.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I feel you but I don't think the DA needs Christian. The video is a slam dunk. Amy will be found guilty. A first year law student could get a conviction on this one.

His testifying would make him seem vindictive. That doesn't seem to be the type man he is. His example is to be commended, one other Black Americans should emulate IMO.

The problem is, all evidence must be authenticated before it can be admitted. The only witness that can authenticate the video is Christian Cooper.

Quote:
Common Evidentiary Predicates to Authenticate Evidence

1. Photographs –

Rule 901. Identify and confirm that photograph is fair and accurate
representation of what is depicted. See Huffman v. State, 746 S.W.2d 212, 222
(Tex.Crim.App. 1988).

PHOTOGRAPHS GENERALLY
• Do you recognize this photograph?
• How are you able to do so?
• When were these photographs taken?
• Do these photographs accurately and fairly depict the scene as it
appeared the day they were taken?
• Are there any material alterations or deletions to the photographs? [if
photograph taken off Facebook or Instagram with digital touchup or
editing, such as filters, have witness go through those]

2. Audio and video tapes –

a. Videos with No Sound – Just like a photograph. The witness has personal
knowledge of what is contained on the recording and can testify that the
exhibit is a true and accurate copy of what is recorded. See Angleton v. State, 971 S.W.2d 65 (Tex.Crim.App. 1993) and Huffman v. State, 746 S.W.2d at 222.

b. Audio – In audio recording, witness is acquainted with the voice of the
speakers and can identify the voices. Tex. R. Evid. 901 (b)(5).

VIDEO GENERALLY
• Did you record the incident?
• How are you able to do so?
• When was the video made?
• Were you able to view the video before coming today?
• Does the video fairly and accurately depict the scene as it was
recorded?
• Are there any material alterations or deletions to the photographs? [if
photograph taken off Facebook or Instagram with digital touchup or
editing, such as filters, have witness go through those]
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

I applaud your research. As I said the video is all that's needed.

1) The video has sound
2) Christian and Amy can be identified.
3) Christian recorded the video. He doesn't have to be in court to verify that. His voice is on the video.
4) He did it with his Iphone. It's probably in the cloud.
5) The video can be corroborated with the 911 call for time and date.
6) The DA will view the video before going into court.
7) The scene can be easily identified. It's stable.
8) It's a live video it depicts the scene as it was.
9) A video forensic expert can confirm the videos authenticity.

Again, a first year law student can win this one. I'll be looking for the case disposition.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

1) The video has sound
3) Christian recorded the video. He doesn't have to be in court to verify that. His voice is on the video.

Again, a first year law student can win this one.

Not if the video can not be submitted as evidence because it's source can't be corroborated in court, which is LBP's point:

Quote:
The problem is, all evidence must be authenticated before it can be admitted. The only witness that can authenticate the video is Christian Cooper.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

1) The video has sound

Not if the video can not be submitted as evidence because it's source can't be corroborated in court, which is LBP's point.

Why can't it be corroborated? Can't Iphone communications be verified through the carrier? Though Christian doesn't want to cooperate in a court case can't his phone be subpoenaed? LG lawyers.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

1) The video has sound

Not if the video can not be submitted as evidence because it's source can't be corroborated in court, which is LBP's point.

Why can't it be corroborated? Can't Iphone communications be verified through the carrier? Though Christian doesn't want to cooperate in a court case can't his phone be subpoenaed? LG lawyers.

An attorney can't just introduce a video into evidence (because he's not a witness in the case). It has to be attached to a witness and that witness will have to testify to its authenticity. Any video that is admitted into evidence has to have a witness authenticating it. Can't get around this.

Christian Cooper is the only witness that can authenticate it. The 911 operator can't. Amy Cooper can't.

Without Christian Cooper, the DA can't get that video admitted into evidence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: