HBOMax - Yay or Nay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: HBOMax - Yay or Nay?

Just ended my Disney+ prescription so I'm opening up room for another streaming service. For anyone that has it, is it basically just HBO and Cinemax? Are they ramping up production of content? I probably wouldn't be interested in either if it's the status quo. I love HBO but 2-3 shows to watch a year isn't enough for my money. I'm too lazy to signup for the free trial and the HBOMax website doesn't really give much detail.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

It’s pretty great if you ask me and really has something for everyone. Surprisingly large movie library with tons of variety. It’s light on originals, but that’s temporary and a bunch of them weren’t able to finish because of the pandemic. It’s probably the best value of any streaming service out there.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Yay just for having the Studio Ghibli library.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Wellp. Coming from 2 members whose opinion I respect on the subject, guess I'll spend the 30 seconds it takes to sign up for a free trial.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

https://www.vulture.com/article/hbo-max-vs-hbo-now-vs-hbo-go.html

Might help.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wellp. Coming from 2 members whose opinion I respect on the subject, guess I'll spend the 30 seconds it takes to sign up for a free trial.

Full disclosure, I split fees with a friend. But HBOMax allows you to set up different profiles easily a la Netfix.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I think you’ll be impressed with the initial film library. The app also lets you set up a Watch List which is cool. I’ve got a nice little one going of titles I definitely did not expect to see on HBO Max. Plus, the HBO series library alone is worth the price. They were just charging the same money for that alone.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject:

If you love great classic and foreign cinema, it's definitely worth a shot. I can't wait to go through any of the Studio Ghibli and Criterion Collection films I haven't already seen, and next on my list is House, an obscure and influential Japanese horror film I've been wanting to see for some time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
If you love great classic and foreign cinema, it's definitely worth a shot. I can't wait to go through any of the Studio Ghibli and Criterion Collection films I haven't already seen, and next on my list is House, an obscure and influential Japanese horror film I've been wanting to see for some time

I think the Criterion Channel is the superior streaming option if you really want to get into cinema - for instance, they added just about every Chantal Ackerman movie that exists to the channel today - and all of the Criterion titles on HBOMax are available at the Criterion Channel usually with extra bells and whistles, but if you're choosing between the two and you only want the occasional buzz of international flicks like House along with all the other content HBO provides, then Max would be the better option for you. But having both is awesome.

In terms of "essential" streaming services, for me it goes:

1) Criterion Channel
2) Amazon Prime (their library is insanely vast, varied, and hard to navigate)
3) tie - HBOMax and Mubi*
4) Netflix
5) Hulu/Disney+

I don't pay for my current Hulu subscription (and have no interest in Disney+) and I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my Netflix subscription after eight years.

* fyi, ga: Mubi has an expanded rotating library available to subscribers now beyond the standard 30-day/30-movies format they've had in the past.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

Not available on Roku TV or Amazon FireTV yet if you were planning to watch on your TV. I'm told Samsung TVs have it. Maybe other brands as well.

I read a CNN article on launch day last week the deal with Roku is close but not so for FireTV.

It's free if you already subscribe to HBO. The launch content wasn't that impressive but we know they have it.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Yay just for having the Studio Ghibli library.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Just signed up. It's got Cartoon Network. My nieces are going to be overjoyed. My sister cut the cord and some of their favorite shows are on that network.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Just signed up. It's got Cartoon Network. My nieces are going to be overjoyed. My wife cut the cord and some of my favorite shows are on that network.

FIFY
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Just signed up. It's got Cartoon Network. My nieces are going to be overjoyed. My wife cut the cord and some of my favorite shows are on that network.

FIFY

Ouch brutal. But man, Teen Titans Go! is so, so good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Just signed up. It's got Cartoon Network. My nieces are going to be overjoyed. My sister cut the cord and some of their favorite shows are on that network.

I have Boomerang Channel. When Trump gets on my last nerve Bugs, Elmer, Tom and Jerry, to name a few crack a smile on occasion. I'm a real fan of Foghorn Leghorn, I say I say, come-mer boy. I have DTV. When my niece comes over I put Teen Titans Go on for her. Yes OL for her I think they've been on for 6 seasons or more. I also have STARZ. I watch cowboy movies when nothing of interest is on. Hopalong Cassidy, Tom Mix, Johnny Mack Brown, John Wayne to name a few. They also air newer cowboy movies with Clint Eastwood and likes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Kodi on a 50 dollar tv box with Seren add-on and a real debrid account. 9 Euros a quarter. Sign up for a free Trakt tv account to scrobble your viewing choices. Real debrid and other premium services send you high quality links in encrypted format of almost any tv show or movie ever made.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: