maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
skin wrote:
maomao wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Comeuppances come for everyone. I can't wait for the day companies start diverting to other countries like India or Vietnam. My gawd what a celebration it's going to be. Winnie can cry a river but it's coming and it's going to be glorious.

I hope you know what you're talking about, common american may think the only connection we have with china are the "made in china" products.

here are the american non-manufacturing brands that have made and currently making a huge among of money in china:

mcdonalds, starbucks, walmart, pizza hut, papa johns, burger king, subway, costco, coca cola, etc. there are a lot more, but these are just off top of my head.

do you go to these places?

do you know what is an whopper call in china? huabao, which means "chinese treasure"

how many "chinese treasure" did you had this week?

this guy can't be real

Oh, he's real. Fast food makes a killing overseas. Look on shelves in China's department stores, auto industry, TV etc. How much do you see "Made In America?"

actually, they are made in china as well. Take your iphones for example, even though they are made in china, apple sell it for a higher price to the chinese than "exporting" it to the americans

the same can be said for tesla as well. the only thing that's made in america that are selling in china are farm products and food.

so the whole not buying "made in china" stuff doesn't make much sense when the products are made by both americans and chinese in china
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

My aunt bought a 46" Smart TV for $200 on Amazon, all thanks to China, essentially. I remember spending more than that in the late 90's on one that was less than half the size and broke your back carrying it from the car. Of course, this reliance on cheap labor has helped hollow out the middle class and exacerbate the culture war in this country, while having the opposite effect of lifting the Chinese out of poverty. I'd personally be willing to pay more (cancel the Amazon Prime account) not to have riots and a sane politics but I suspect I'm in the minority.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
My aunt bought a 46" Smart TV for $200 on Amazon, all thanks to China, essentially. I remember spending more than that in the late 90's on one that was less than half the size and broke your back carrying it from the car. Of course, this reliance on cheap labor has helped hollow out the middle class and exacerbate the culture war in this country, while having the opposite effect of lifting the Chinese out of poverty. I'd personally be willing to pay more (cancel the Amazon Prime account) not to have riots and a sane politics but I suspect I'm in the minority.

I'd go a bit further and say we shouldn't rely on a hostile foreign government supplying our medical supplies and medicines.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
skin wrote:
maomao wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Comeuppances come for everyone. I can't wait for the day companies start diverting to other countries like India or Vietnam. My gawd what a celebration it's going to be. Winnie can cry a river but it's coming and it's going to be glorious.

I hope you know what you're talking about, common american may think the only connection we have with china are the "made in china" products.

here are the american non-manufacturing brands that have made and currently making a huge among of money in china:

mcdonalds, starbucks, walmart, pizza hut, papa johns, burger king, subway, costco, coca cola, etc. there are a lot more, but these are just off top of my head.

do you know what is an whopper call in china? huabao, which means "chinese treasure"

this guy can't be real

Oh, he's real. Fast food makes a killing overseas. Look on shelves in China's department stores, auto industry, TV etc. How much do you see "Made In America?"

I'm referring to every post he has made in this thread kowtowing to the CCP. AKA the party responsible for the Tiananmen square massacre, Muslim concentration camps, Falun Gong organ harvesting, and massive human rights abuses.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Let Hong Kong Move to America

An argument for an aggressive immigration sales pitch from the U.S. to Hong Kong nationals: Vox.com
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I'd go a bit further and say we shouldn't rely on a hostile foreign government supplying our medical supplies and medicines.

Truth! That should be held self evident.

Now if we can get Russia out of The White House
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

jesus, do you lick boots or what

https://i.imgur.com/haOCEg5.png

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

An argument for an aggressive immigration sales pitch from the U.S. to Hong Kong nationals: Vox.com

yeah, let's move them to Minnesota now to help burn down the police stations. They have great experiences fighting tear gas and rubber bullets while tossing fire bombs
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

yeah, let's move them to Minnesota now to help burn down the police stations. They have great experiences fighting tear gas and rubber bullets while tossing fire bombs

And we finally get to the real position. Thank you for finally taking off the ill fitting mask that we could all see through.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

Enough with the intellectual dishonesty. The CCP didn't come to power via peaceful means, in fact they had no problem dispensing violence on their people which they treat like objects to be used to achieve state goals. So I have a hard time feeling sorry for them when people decide to rise up and use violence against them. In case you haven't noticed their criminal justice system routinely jails lawyers because they dare question the power of the state.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
maomao wrote:

Enough with the intellectual dishonesty. The CCP didn't come to power via peaceful means, in fact they had no problem dispensing violence on their people which they treat like objects to be used to achieve state goals. So I have a hard time feeling sorry for them when people decide to rise up and use violence against them. In case you haven't noticed their criminal justice system routinely jails lawyers because they dare question the power of the state.

Yeah, this has been my problem. If you want to come out and back the CCP, much as i disagree, I think you have the right to make that argument. Trying to make that argument via transparently dishonest other arguments, and using the inevitable reaction to that to sideline and derail the actual discussion is just propaganda trolling.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't put it past the CCP to send somebody to LG to (obliquely) defend their interests.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And as unrest erupted across the United States over racial inequality and police brutality after the death during arrest of an unarmed Black man, Chinese government spokespeople and official media launched attacks against US authorities.

Chinese media also circulated video clips suggesting Hong Kong police were "restrained" in comparison to actions seen in the US.

"US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi once called the violent protests in Hong Kong 'a beautiful sight to behold'. ... US politicians now can enjoy this sight from their own windows," Hu Xijin, editor-in-chief of nationalist tabloid Global Times, wrote on Saturday.

It was "as if the radical rioters in Hong Kong somehow snuck into the US and created a mess like they did last year"

Chinese Authorities Mock US Protest Response
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

Hey maomao, every year for the past 30 years Hong Kong has held a vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square Massacre on June 4th.

Guess what public event just got cancelled in Hong Kong this month?
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Hey maomao, every year for the past 30 years Hong Kong has held a vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square Massacre on June 4th.

hey baron, sorry for the late reply, I was just silenced until just now.

to reply to your question, the event was cancelled due to covid. However, they have an one eye open one eye close approach and allowed 10k people into the park to do whatever they want. You would hope that there's no super spreader in that event as hong kong had a small outbreak in a building just couple days ago.

I'm also glad that more and more hong kong people are getting to know the truth about the 89 incident.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

to reply to your question, the event was cancelled due to covid. However, they have an one eye open one eye close approach and allowed 10k people into the park to do whatever they want. You would hope that there's no super spreader in that event as hong kong had a small outbreak in a building just couple days ago.

I'm also glad that more and more hong kong people are getting to know the truth about the 89 incident.

Agreed. It was a horrific tragedy perpetuated under Deng Xiaoping 31 years ago and everyone at home and abroad should know about it.

Take care!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

You know what's funny? I once took a late-teen kid visiting from Hong Kong to the Harvard Coop (bookstore) to buy him some books for his summer reading. One shop had the a poster of "Tank Man" confronting a column of tanks during the Tiananmen Square protests. He was incredulous, and asked me when and where it took place. The event was heavily censured in Hong Kong.

The truth about the "89 incident"? I remember the official party-line, that all the kids were the spoiled sons and daughters of Communist Party officials and bureaucrats. Oh, and there very few casualties, and that everyone got away with mild punishment (a re-education class).
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

You know what's funny? I once took a late-teen kid visiting from Hong Kong to the Harvard Coop (bookstore) to buy him some books for his summer reading. One shop had the a poster of "Tank Man" confronting a column of tanks during the Tiananmen Square protests. He was incredulous, and asked me when and where it took place. The event was heavily censured in Hong Kong.

The truth about the "89 incident"? I remember the official party-line, that all the kids were the spoiled sons and daughters of Communist Party officials and bureaucrats. Oh, and there very few casualties, and that everyone got away with mild punishment (a re-education class).

actually, that image isn't that popular in hk even among the anti ccp crowd because it some what contradicts with the "truth" told by the group that asks for "donation" on 6/4 every year.

their version was the tanks actually got to the square and ran over and killed all the students. having a picture of a middle age man that seem to be uneducated by their standards stopping the tanks on the street doesn't really help that narrative.

I assume you have seen the whole actual video of the "tank man", not just a picture right?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

actually, that image isn't that popular in hk even among the anti ccp crowd because it some what contradicts with the "truth" told by the group that asks for "donation" on 6/4 every year.

their version was the tanks actually got to the square and ran over and killed all the students. having a picture of a middle age man that seem to be uneducated by their standards stopping the tanks on the street doesn't really help that narrative.

I assume you have seen the whole actual video of the "tank man", not just a picture right?

I talked to people who were there, which means I'm not prone to the official PRC version. This includes demonstrators and folks who weren't even sympathetic to the demonstrators. The former group were the ones who opened my eyes. You can learn more about the vulnerability of a narrative through the lens of a population that is fed government propaganda. That's far more informative than a video clip, comrade.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

I talked to people who were there, which means I'm not prone to the official PRC version. This includes demonstrators and folks who weren't even sympathetic to the demonstrators. The former group were the ones who opened my eyes. You can learn more about the vulnerability of a narrative through the lens of a population that is fed government propaganda. That's far more informative than a video clip, comrade.

what do you think about the version presented to the hong kong people by the hk anti ccp group for these many years then? since you actually talked to the people that were there.

1. on the early hours of 6/4 tanks goes into the square and crush the tents with students sleeping inside, machine guns were placed at the only exit and kills thousands of students

2. every single civilian is unarmed during the whole incident
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

what do you think about the version presented to the hong kong people by the hk anti ccp group for these many years then? since you actually talked to the people that were there.

1. on the early hours of 6/4 tanks goes into the square and crush the tents with students sleeping inside, machine guns were placed at the only exit and kills thousands of students

I was told first-hand that some of the troops refused to take arms against the students, which is why many escaped. Many students and non-student were shot, I talked to those who saw folks who were bleeding out. If it makes you happy, I didn't hear about machine guns, so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that most civilians in the USA or Beijing wouldn't know the difference between a Type 77 machine gun or a Type 56 sub-machine gun, particularly if they're being fired upon in a crowd. All you do is run. You hear gunfire, and you run like hell.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

Sounds like something an LAPD recruit would include on his application to up his cred to the LAPD-HR in an effort to enhance his chances of getting Hired. Darryl Gates would have hired that recruit on the spot and handed over they keys to his beloved Battle Ram.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

I was told first-hand that some of the troops refused to take arms against the students, which is why many escaped. Many students and non-student were shot, I talked to those who saw folks who were bleeding out. If it makes you happy, I didn't hear about machine guns, so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that most civilians in the USA or Beijing wouldn't know the difference between a Type 77 machine gun or a Type 56 sub-machine gun, particularly if they're being fired upon in a crowd. All you do is run. You hear gunfire, and you run like hell.

and tanks running through tents with students sleeping? and civilians being unarmed? no this doesn't make me happy, it's just disgusting to see what hong kong people do for money.

I don't know the truth about everything that happened on 6/4, but I do know what some disgusting hong konger have done for all these years to profit from it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
maomao wrote:

Good man. Go Crimson.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I too am mindfully purchasing products that are china free/ not made in China. I prefer made anywhere else except in China such as Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Vietnam etc. Plus I notice the craftsmanship in these countries are quality and the products last longer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: