A white woman has apologized after calling police on a black man and saying 'there's an African American man threatening my life'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
For those criticizing the black man, what should bird watchers like him do?

How should he better handle owners who refuse to leash their dogs?

If you’re going to criticize, at least offer some sort of solution?

Ignore it and move on.

Turn in your man card!

I have wasted enough of my life already, but the absolute most pointless time I've ever spent is scolding strangers for being inconsiderate/violating norms/breaking petty laws/etc.

I probably should turn in my man card. That man's man John Wayne would always step up and make sure folks followed the letter and spirit of every law, and I just can't muster up the indignity, pride, or energy to follow in his footsteps.

Like, Amy Cooper "learned" a lesson about white privilege, but is she gonna put ger dog on a leash in the future?

I lean towards "no."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

So everyone should just forgo their hopes to have a nice day engaging in their chosen activity so that inconsiderate, entitled (bleep) can do whatever the (bleep) they want at the expense of decent people because everyone should just mind their own (bleep) business and slink away so the arrogant "I Do Whatever I Want, SO Eff You" crowd can intimidate and manipulate decent, respectful people into submission . . .

. . . Man, talk about "deranged".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
If the dog was on a leash and still ripped up some foliage in Central Park...how to reconcile...?

You know, your rationalizations are getting wilder every post.

More like ir-rationalizations.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
If the dog was on a leash and still ripped up some foliage in Central Park...how to reconcile...?

My "rationalizations" for what?

Disingenuous too. Nice . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I have wasted enough of my life already, but the absolute most pointless time I've ever spent is scolding strangers for being inconsiderate/violating norms/breaking petty laws/etc.

Based on your comments here, I think the more likely scenario is the you have been on the other end of those requests too many times and you are sick of people asking you to be respectful of others in public.

There's just too much animus expressed by you towards people who want to be able to enjoy their day without inconsiderate people ruining it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

That doesn’t solve the main issue that: dogs destroy the vegetation that attracts birds to the Ramble. They also chase away the birds.

The only reason for bird watchers to be in the Ramble is to watch birds.

When you say ignore it and move on, do you mean just go home? Or wait until the dog is done running around?

If he ignores it, this woman will be back day after day walking her dog around this area. Does he bite his tongue EVERY SINGLE time? Never say a word?

Cuz saying something would make him a “Karen”?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Based on your comments here, I think the more likely scenario is the you have been on the other end of those requests too many times and you are sick of people asking you to be respectful of others in public.

There's just too much animus expressed by you towards people who want to be able to enjoy their day without inconsiderate people ruining it.

If only life were that simple, non? But you're crapping up the wrong tree, sorry.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

That doesn’t solve the main issue that: dogs destroy the vegetation that attracts birds to the Ramble. They also chase away the birds.

The only reason for bird watchers to be in the Ramble is to watch birds.

When you say ignore it and move on, do you mean just go home? Or wait until the dog is done running around?

If he ignores it, this woman will be back day after day walking her dog around this area. Does he bite his tongue EVERY SINGLE time? Never say a word?

Cuz saying something would make him a “Karen”?

I haven't been to Central Park in a few years, but a quick google search leads me to the factoid that the Ramble covers 36 acres. That's a fair bit of ground for some wee dugs to forever despoil for birdwatchers, but I am ignorant of the sport of birdwatching. Maybe birdwatching is forever ruined if a few dugs tear up a few ground plants over the span of 36 acres in Central Park. It's just all ruined forever.

Anyway, yes. Wait until the dog is done running around.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed May 27, 2020 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Larry wants to call me a racist, he can come out and say it. "Disingenuous" lol.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

So everyone should just forgo their hopes to have a nice day engaging in their chosen activity so that inconsiderate, entitled (bleep) can do whatever the (bleep) they want at the expense of decent people because everyone should just mind their own (bleep) business and slink away so the arrogant "I Do Whatever I Want, SO Eff You" crowd can intimidate and manipulate decent, respectful people into submission . . .

Yes. I got exhausted just thinking about the level of privileged outrage you must exist at constantly before even reaching the end of your post.
rokobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

do not feed the dog, that's the only problem I have.
you don't know if that's harmful to the dog or not.
if you can make him come to you without giving him treats, that's fine. You can pet him if that annoys the owner. There is no harm in that, but feeding the dog? That's irresponsible and ignorant.

There is a reason why you are not allowed to give food to animals at the zoo, and the same thing applies here. Follow the rules...

Treats are hard to refuse for dogs/cats. Animals that are not in captivity can abstain themselves. If they are sick, they will stop eating, but not with treats and human made food.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

Yes. I got exhausted just thinking about the level of privileged outrage you must exist at constantly before even reaching the end of your post.

There's no "privilege" in just hoping that people would respect their fellow citizens.

There is however a $h!t-ton of privilege in advocating that people who are inconsiderate of others should be left alone and that people would ask them to do otherwise are the problem.

I can understand how the mental gymnastics you wrestle with to convince yourself otherwise would be very exhausting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Larry wants to call me a racist, he can come out and say it. "Disingenuous" lol.

Where did LC call you "racist"?

You are getting extremely defensive if you are making that reach . . . we may actually be seeing actual derangement in this thread.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

There's no "privilege" in just hoping that people would respect their fellow citizens.

There is however a $h!t-ton of privilege in advocating that people who are inconsiderate of others should be left alone and that people would ask them to do otherwise are the problem.

I can understand how the mental gymnastics you wrestle with to convince yourself otherwise would be very exhausting.

Quote:

Agreed
Quote:

Since you were projecting earlier: you're totally the dude who calls the cops on his neighbors all the time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

All you need to know about race in this country is that a white woman threatened to call the police and falsely report being attacked by a black man, putting his life in peril, because she didn’t like being told to leash her dog and refused to accept being photographed violating that policy, and the only thing a significant portion of otherwise rational decent humans wants to discuss is how rude it was if HIM to say anything to her about the leash rule she was violating. Because no matter how bad and dangerous and inappropriate and unacceptable her behavior, they need to mitigate it, and publicly shame themselves by making sure we hear that, in some way, he asked for it, more than they need to just acknowledge the obvious.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
All you need to know about race in this country is that a white woman threatened to call the police and falsely report being attacked by a black man, putting his life in peril, because she didn’t like being told to leash her dog and refused to accept being photographed violating that policy, and the only thing a significant portion of otherwise rational decent humans wants to discuss is how rude it was if HIM to say anything to her about the leash rule she was violating. Because no matter how bad and dangerous and inappropriate and unacceptable her behavior, they need to mitigate it, and publicly shame themselves by making sure we hear that, in some way, he asked for it, more than they need to just acknowledge the obvious.

Nah, it's just that you're out for blood and incapable of holding different opinions at one time. We get that Ms. Cooper is bad, racist person. That can stand by itself. It can also be true that Mr. Cooper was just a tiny, teensy weensy bad at conflict resolution. And it also can be true that a "Becky" or a "Karen", who cares very much about a black family violating park grilling laws is on par with a black guy who cares very much about park dog leash laws.

All these things can be true without being a racist. All these things can be true without propagating a system of not only corrupt, racist cops, but those who by default think they can rely on that system and abuse it to their advantage.

But hey, Karen lost her job. Karen lost her dog. Nobody will be hanging with Ms. Cooper (especially not her dog). You've held your convictions of calling anyone who holds a different opinion about Mr. Cooper, a racist. Congrats.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Calling the police on a black person is the equivalent of hiring a hitman.

It's sad. But it's true.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Nah, it's just that you're out for blood and incapable of holding different opinions at one time. We get that Ms. Cooper is bad, racist person. That can stand by itself. It can also be true that Mr. Cooper was just a tiny, teensy weensy bad at conflict resolution. And it also can be true that a "Becky" or a "Karen", who cares very much about a black family violating park grilling laws is on par with a black guy who cares very much about park dog leash laws.

All these things can be true without being a racist. All these things can be true without propagating a system of not only corrupt, racist cops, but those who by default think they can rely on that system and abuse it to their advantage.

But hey, Karen lost her job. Karen lost her dog. Nobody will be hanging with Ms. Cooper (especially not her dog). You've held your convictions of calling anyone who holds a different opinion about Mr. Cooper, a racist. Congrats.

Why is his perceived transgression so important to you? Why does it have to be belabored even in light of her remarkable overreaction that renders whether his overture was rude or not moot? Why does he have to be somehow complicit in her racist act? Why must we place some value on separate things when one is important and the other not so much? Why is pointing out that the victim is almost always painted as somehow asking for it, even with semantics of hey, I’m just sayin’, such a need?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject:

The Unleashed Dog Finally Chimes in that he was disappointed the Neither Mr or Ms Cooper were wearing a mask nor practicing social distancing
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
It can also be true that Mr. Cooper was just a tiny, teensy weensy bad at conflict resolution.

I still haven’t seen you offer a better solution. I’ve seen you criticize over and over.

How should he have better handled this conflict?

1) He’s an avid bird watcher
2) Dogs tear up the vegetation that attracts birde. They also scare away the birds that he comes to the Ramble to watch
3) He tries to politely ask owners to leash their dogs
4) Some, maybe most do leash their dogs after being asked. Problem solved and there is no conflict.

5) Some just ignore his request. This creates a conflict.

Please offer a better way for him to resolve this conflict in a “non-Karen” way. Constantly criticizing is pointless w/o offering up a solution.

Another poster just said “ignore and move on”. That doesn’t sound like conflict resolution to me. That sounds like conflict avoidance.

What’s your advice on a better way to resolve this conflict?

If he’s bad at conflict resolution, what does it say about someone that spends maybe 20 posts criticizing but not 1 post offering up any sort of advice/solution?

If he’s bad at conflict resolution, surely you can tell us a good way for him to resolve this conflict?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
It can also be true that Mr. Cooper was just a tiny, teensy weensy bad at conflict resolution.

It's interesting that you can get hung up on Mr. Cooper's words while you use purposely inflammatory language to overstate his actions.

He made a legitimate request. She refused to do the right thing after being requested to. He utilized a relatively passive tactic that has been effective in the past. You get hung up on the "you're not going to like it".

The only person with the conflict resolutions problems was the woman who was doing the wrong thing. Refused to stop doing the bad thing and became angered when that refusal wasn't just accepted. She then escalated things to an extremely dangerous level when she realized that her behavior was being documented.

Quote:
And it also can be true that a "Becky" or a "Karen", who cares very much about a black family violating park grilling laws is on par with a black guy who cares very much about park dog leash laws.

No. As has been pointed out already, the two incidents do not compare. Mr. Cooper did not call the police on Ms. Cooper for being a white woman doing the wrong thing. He didn't wait for hours after repeated calls for the police to come and punish her. BBQ Becky went right to the phone to initiate police action. There is no reason to think Cooper was mad about the leash because Ms. Cooper was white. It was quite clear that BBQ Becky's motives were related to race.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

rokobe81 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

do not feed the dog, that's the only problem I have.
you don't know if that's harmful to the dog or not.
if you can make him come to you without giving him treats, that's fine. You can pet him if that annoys the owner. There is no harm in that, but feeding the dog? That's irresponsible and ignorant.

There is a reason why you are not allowed to give food to animals at the zoo, and the same thing applies here. Follow the rules...

Treats are hard to refuse for dogs/cats. Animals that are not in captivity can abstain themselves. If they are sick, they will stop eating, but not with treats and human made food.

If the dog is controlled on a leash, he wouldn’t be able to get treats. Get it now?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

Turn in your man card!

I probably should turn in my man card. That man's man John Wayne would always step up and make sure folks followed the letter and spirit of every law, and I just can't muster up the indignity, pride, or energy to follow in his footsteps.

Like, Amy Cooper "learned" a lesson about white privilege, but is she gonna put ger dog on a leash in the future?

I lean towards "no."

A White privilege lesson learned, NO that's inbred, a lesson learned, YES she'll leash her dog in Central Park, if she's not barred.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

The "lesson" is not primarily about the dog.

The lessons are:
1) Recognize your actions were racist and learn to stop doing it.
2) Don't call the cops and lie just because your white privilege was challenged.
2a) While you're at it, google "white privilege" and understand why you have it and why you shouldn't abuse it.
3) Don't put a black person's life in jeopardy just because your fragile white feelings were hurt. Now google "white fragility."
4) Learn the basics of being a good pet owner and put them into action -- if you get your pet back.
5) Your employer will always find out.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The "lesson" is not primarily about the dog.

The lessons are:
1) Recognize your actions were racist and learn to stop doing it.
2) Don't call the cops and lie just because your white privilege was challenged.
2a) While you're at it, google "white privilege" and understand why you have it and why you shouldn't abuse it.
3) Don't put a black person's life in jeopardy just because your fragile white feelings were hurt. Now google "white fragility."
4) Learn the basics of being a good pet owner and put them into action -- if you get your pet back.
5) Your employer will always find out.

This reminds me of one of the symptoms/offshoots of this type of privilege that drives me crazy. I'm sure some are familiar with the website NextDoor, a community message board intended to help neighbors communicate about local events/issues etc. The number of times I see posts along the lines of "ALERT: Spotted this morning walking East on Main Street between Elm and 1st. Two Black Males, Approx. 16 years of age. Wearing backpacks, walking and talking as the went by the houses. Last seen approaching Washington High School at 7:55 am" is infuriating. People can't even recognize their subconscious yet blatant irrational biases.

It's just an example of why merely existing in public can be a risk to Black people, particularly males.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: