Tom Brady docuseries to follow "The Last Dance" at ESPN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tom Brady docuseries to follow "The Last Dance" at ESPN

This also gets a hard pass from me...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tom-brady-docuseries-follow-last-dance-at-espn-1295481

Quote:
Tom Brady Docuseries to Follow 'The Last Dance' at ESPN
The deal for a show about the NFL great comes on the heels of the cable network's breakout Michael Jordan series.

The deal for a show about the NFL great comes on the heels of the cable network's breakout Michael Jordan series.
Following the breakout success of The Last Dance, ESPN has ordered another docuseries about an athlete considered the greatest in his sport: Tom Brady.

The nine-episode series, produced by Gotham Chopra's Religion of Sports and Brady's recently formed 199 Productions, is called Man in the Arena and will offer the quarterback's first-hand accounts of pivotal moments in his career, including all nine of his Super Bowl appearances with the New England Patriots. It is set to air in 2021.

"Nine Super Bowl appearances over the course of 20 years is an achievement on an unmatched level. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Tom Brady as he reflects on each of those nine, season-long journeys and the pivotal moments that defined them,” Connor Schell, executive vp content at ESPN, said Thursday in a statement. "Gotham Chopra is a highly skilled filmmaker who I am confident will bring to life this story of an icon in a new and revealing way."

Added Brady: "I’m excited to have my company 199 Productions be in business with ESPN and Disney along with our Religion of Sports partners to launch this new series that gives an inside look into the championship moments I’ve been blessed to experience. Through the series, we’re defining the key moments and challenges that were seemingly insurmountable, but through hard work and perseverance, became career-defining triumphs, in both victory and defeat. This compelling and powerful show will entertain, inspire and have you on the edge of your seat. We can’t wait to share it with the world."

WATCH
John Krasinski's "Some Good News" Headed to ViacomCBS, Tom Brady Docuseries Coming to ESPN & More | THR News
PLAY VIDEO
There's one key difference between The Last Dance and Man in the Arena: Where the former aired more than 20 years after Jordan's final season with the Chicago Bulls, Brady is still playing. The 42-year-old signed a two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March after 20 seasons with the Patriots.

The Last Dance was a huge hit for ESPN, averaging 5.65 million same-day viewers over its 10 episodes (and significantly more via delayed and digital viewing). All 10 installments drew larger audiences than the previous most-watched ESPN documentary, 2012's You Don't Know Bo.

Man in the Arena is the second collaboration between Brady and Chopra's Religion of Sports announced this week. Brady will also be the subject of an episode of Greatness Code, a shortform series from Chopra focused on athletes that will run on Apple TV+.

Deadline first reported the news. Brady released a trailer for the series on Twitter Thursday; watch it below.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Not as engaging.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Not as engaging.

The understatement of the century.

Couldn’t pay me to watch it if it was the only thing on during quarantine.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not as engaging.

It'd be about as entertaining as a Spurs "dynasty" documentary. Hard pass.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject:

Will they skim over spy gate like they skimmed over Jordan's gambling?

Either way, I'm probably not watching.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not as engaging.

It'd be about as entertaining as a Spurs "dynasty" documentary. Hard pass.

The mental image of that one would be hilarious tbh.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Not as engaging.

I am LakerLanny and I endorse this message.

Enough of the Tom Brady hype, seriously.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Another series not to watch
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn’t they be doing this 20 years from now? One reason I watched the MJ thing is they haven’t been hyping him up the last couple of decades. I doubt I would have watched it in 1999 or 2000.

It’s better to do this with a different athlete.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Shouldn’t they be doing this 20 years from now? One reason I watched the MJ thing is they haven’t been hyping him up the last couple of decades. I doubt I would have watched it in 1999 or 2000.

It’s better to do this with a different athlete.

Also the world was different back then no social media etc.

I would like to see one on Phil Jackson between his Knicks career, and Bulls/Lakers coaching stints he has stories.

Or Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul Jabbar but I think with the racism endured by both I don't see ESPN really wanting to show this.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

None of these people, including Jordan, is interesting enough for a 10 hour documentary. Even with all this free time people have, I can't believe people spent 10 hours watching a show about Jordan that Jordan commissioned. And that doesn't even include the hours of analysis on ESPN about every single episode. Just too much.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I would love to see a documentary of the Bear’s 1984-1985 season. Those guys weren’t dull.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
None of these people, including Jordan, is interesting enough for a 10 hour documentary. Even with all this free time people have, I can't believe people spent 10 hours watching a show about Jordan that Jordan commissioned. And that doesn't even include the hours of analysis on ESPN about every single episode. Just too much.

I agree but there's nothing sports related either a perfect storm really. I didn't watch any of it BTW.

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would love to see a documentary of the Bear’s 1984-1985 season. Those guys weren’t dull.

If you're referring to the 1985 Bears there's a 30 for 30 on it(was a good one too)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

And it was the 85-86 bears
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

It wasn’t long enough, tbh. Jordan’s involvement/spin was not ideal, but the doc doesn’t exist without it and it was a fair trade. I looked forward to it each week.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

I found the mj doc fascinating. It was like being transported back both in the subject matter, but also because his blessing made it the same kind of myth making exercise the nineties were. Complete with him being a dishonest, selfish dick, and that’s just the parts he thought were cool to show you. It also makes you appreciate the job Phil did holding that team together around him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I found the mj doc fascinating. It was like being transported back both in the subject matter, but also because his blessing made it the same kind of myth making exercise the nineties were. Complete with him being a dishonest, selfish dick, and that’s just the parts he thought were cool to show you. It also makes you appreciate the job Phil did holding that team together around him.

Yeah the documentary is about Jordan but there are so many tangential topics that relate to that era in basketball. A basketball fan would be doing themselves a disservices missing out on this especially if you lived through it.

That NBA on NBC theme or the Bulls intro gets me every time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah the documentary is about Jordan but there are so many tangential topics that relate to that era in basketball. A basketball fan would be doing themselves a disservices missing out on this especially if you lived through it.

That NBA on NBC theme or the Bulls intro gets me every time.

Yep. Often imitated, never duplicated. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Between the Bulls and Lakers I get why Phil went to mind altering substances...

If anyone should get a 10+ part doc its him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Phil’s genius was to take toxic situations and make them more toxic and then bend that energy to his purpose, which was making a bunch of good players overthink basketball and pop psychology so they’d forget an all time great and all time narcissist was getting all the benefits. He succeeded wildly and left nothing but embers behind.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

Scottie made a huge mistake signing a 5 year 18 million dollar contract. He locked HIMSELF in. Jimmy Sexton and Kyle Rote his agents advised him against signing the contract. IMO Krause misused Scottie but it was HIS fault. If Jordan had gone to Krause it may have made a difference.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

It was about some other people too, like Krause, Pippen, Rodman, and even MJ’s security guard.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

LINK I'm still watching it. I have it recorded. I watch a episode when I have nothing to do. I'm up to episode 4. So far I get the impression MJ is more about himself and his brand.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: