The Traitor (Italian movie)
Frozen 2
Ratatouille
Paterson
Roman Holiday
Blue Valentine
The Assistant
Funny Face

How was The Assistant? Worth the rental fee iyo?

I thought it was a good film that commented on how problematic the boys will be boys culture can be. It was nice to see Julie Garner play a different role. It’s a very quiet movie but that also adds an element of suspense to it. I think it’s worth the rental.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Some more movies I watched for the first time and enjoyed:

Frozen 2
Ratatouille
Paterson
Roman Holiday
Blue Valentine
The Assistant
Funny Face

I thought it was a good film that commented on how problematic the boys will be boys culture can be. It was nice to see Julie Garner play a different role. It’s a very quiet movie but that also adds an element of suspense to it. I think it’s worth the rental.

I really wanted to see it in theatres and just missed it in early March, so that, your recommendation, and the $6 price tag will get me to watch it asap. Danke.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Salt of the Earth (1954): when the wives of the striking miners took up their husbands' and brothers' picket line against corporate scabs and cops as part of union solidarity, I thought of the "girl power" tableau of lady superheroes in Avengers: Endgame and decided maybe America doesn't have its priorities in order.

Anyway, some enterprising studio should do a Salt of the Earth reboot and hire Alan Silvestri to score it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Salt of the Earth (1954): when the wives of the striking miners took up their husbands' and brothers' picket line against corporate scabs and cops as part of union solidarity, I thought of the "girl power" tableau of lady superheroes in Avengers: Endgame and decided maybe America doesn't have its priorities in order.

Anyway, some enterprising studio should do a Salt of the Earth reboot and hire Alan Silvestri to score it.

This stands in stark contrast to the far more famous, canonized On the Waterfront by Elia Kazan who turned informant for HUAC in the 1950s and created an anti-union, anti-worker "masterpiece" sublimated through the famously bruised male ego of Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy.

The Salt of the Earth, conversely, is made a year later by a trio of then blacklisted artists, Michael Wilson as screenwriter (and then credited as director), Paul Jarrico as producer, and Herbert Biberman as director. They worked with only five professional actors out of a cast of fifty and drew on the experience of actual miners union strikers to shape the story and cast the film even as the production received police harassment, death threats, and one instance of (thankfully) non-lethal sniper fire.

The Salt of the Earth is truly a testament to passionate, renegade, independent filmmaking, while On the Waterfront is a beautifully crafted testament to white male American largesse, bloat, and infantile guilt syndrome via the Hollywood machine. The Salt of the Earth is an ahead-of-its-time feminist film via the conventions of Hollywood dramedy while Kazan's dumb masculinist movie struggles with the guilt of its inherent contradictions. I think On the Waterfront is a beautifully rendered pro-scab picture of a man coming to terms with the destructiveness of his own self-serving hypocrisy, which is interesting, but it's a lesser film when compared to the rougher, budget- and circumstance-limited, pro-union film, The Salt of the Earth.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Some more movies I watched for the first time and enjoyed:

Frozen 2
Ratatouille
Paterson
Roman Holiday
Blue Valentine
The Assistant
Funny Face

I really wanted to see it in theatres and just missed it in early March, so that, your recommendation, and the $6 price tag will get me to watch it asap. Danke.

Looking forward to your review
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Train to Busan is a good zombie movie, if you're into that
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Train to Busan is a good zombie movie, if you're into that

A darn good zombie movie! The sequel Penninsula was set to debut sometime this summer, but we'll see what happens now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

Bill Morrison's found foitage documentary Dawson City: Frozen Time (2017) probably isn't for everyone, though I wish everyone could enjoy Morrison's passion for film history. Working from a treasure trove of silver nitrate silent film prints discovered buried in the Yukon permafrost under an old ice skating rink in the former gold rush boomtown of Dawson City, Morrison acts like a more avante garde Ken Burns in using black and white prints interspersed with scarred film footage to uncover the history of how those cannisters of old film got there in the first place. In so doing, he weaves together a story of the displaced Hän tribes peoples, the Guggenheim family's capital consolidation of Yukon mining, the draw of entertainment in the wilderness that saw Sid Grauman and Alexander Pantages make their initial money in Dawson City before becoming theater magnates, and even weaves in the 1919 Black Sox World Series scandal and labor history.

It's a daring, lovingly executed nonfiction film that also is two hours of mostly ambient music with no dialogue, relying on information cards and cleverly edited - if at times overlong - silent film footage montages to propel its historical narrative. So...it is an acquired taste, but it may be worth at least checking out the first 30 minutes of Dawson City: Frozen Time on Mubi.com before it leaves the streaming service in two weeks. Mubi offers free trials, and I think Dawson City is at least worth that as are a number of other hard to find, unique titles currently streaming there.

Here is the Academy Award winning, Ken Burns influencing short on the history of the Yukon referenced in Dawson City: Frozen Time, "City of Gold":

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Mother's Day watchlist:

Mother (1996) - streaming on Tubi
Mother (2009) - streaming on Hulu
mother! (2017) - available to rent
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

I finally got around to Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. I thought it was great. Crowe and Bettany were both very interesting characters and the Napoleonic Wars is a very underutilized period but it’s fascinating.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I finally got around to Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. I thought it was great. Crowe and Bettany were both very interesting characters and the Napoleonic Wars is a very underutilized period but it’s fascinating.

I also thought the younger supporting actors, particularly the one who lost the arm and the one who committed suicide, gave great great performances that added to the realism and soul of the film.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

*Al Pacino as Marvin Schwarz voice*

"What a picture!"

It's a travesty we never got a Master and Commander Cinematic Universe. Jack Aubrey >>> Jack Sparrow.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

One of the best movie going experiences I've had was on Mother's Day last year when I visited the 'rents and took my mom to see Amazing Grace in a small, but packed arthouse theater. Everyone got into Aretha's performance, treating it like an intimate concert, tapping their toes and clapping along, shouting out in appreciation after songs, etc. It was silly and beautiful and electrifying and me and my mom loved the experience.

Cut to Mother's Day 2020 where I get to do a Skype re-watch of Amazing Grace (on Hulu) over dinner with my mom and dad. It's wonderful that technology allows virtual gatherings like this, but boy do I miss people, communal gatherings, and going to a movie theater.

Anyway, time to re-watch Cronenberg's The Brood, the best Mother's Day movie ever made.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Twilight Time will sadly be shutting its doors on June 30th. They've been a wonderful independent source of well-produced DVD and Blu-Ray releases of hard to find Hollywood fare for nearly a decade, but were rocked by the sudden death of co-founder Nick Redman late last year. Here's Twilight Time's closing notice: https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/its-twilight-time-for-us/

You can see their offerings at the linked website. Definitely check out their current inventory on sale before 6/30 and hopefully folks can find an old or new favorite (or two or ten) to own that might otherwise never get distribution again.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Mother's Day watchlist:

Special shout out to one of my favorite John Waters' flicks, Serial Mom (1994), which is sadly unavailable to stream anywhere:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject:

40 years ago on this day:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

A minor miracle: an uncut version of Robert Altman's California Split (1974) is streaming on Amazon Prime* in the proper aspect ratio and it remains an underseen New Hollywood masterpiece. Just an amazing film.

* note that there's also a rental version, which everyone should ignore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Film thread folks: does Robert Pattinson give off a Jack Nicholson vibe to anyone else?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Because it's somehow five years later, there's a wonderful 5-year-anniversary oral history of the making of the great Mad Max: Fury Road in the NYT: https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/1260274157628952577

The article is linked in the tweet above and not behind a paywall. Enjoy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Mother's Day watchlist:

Special shout out to one of my favorite John Waters' flicks, Serial Mom (1994), which is sadly unavailable to stream anywhere:

That movie is fantastic. One of my favorite comedies, and probably one of my two favorite dark comedies, along with Heathers. The scene in court between Kathleen Turner's Beverly Sutphin and Mink Stole's Dottie Hinkle, where Mrs. Hinkle can't stop uttering obscenities, is pure gold.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Mother's Day watchlist:

That movie is fantastic. One of my favorite comedies, and probably one of my two favorite dark comedies, along with Heathers. The scene in court between Kathleen Turner's Beverly Sutphin and Mink Stole's Dottie Hinkle, where Mrs. Hinkle can't stop uttering obscenities, is pure gold.

There are dozens of us, Stu! Dozens who love this great movie.

"Lick Mommy's feet - get 'em alllll wet":

That damn scene has been imprinted on my brain for 25 years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

The late great Russian director Aleksei German's first film, Trial on the Road (1971) is available to stream as part of a (now digital only) retrospective of Russian post-war cinema about the war.

This is a lovely print of a hard to find film and I'd recommend catching it before it stops streaming on 5/16: Link
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Mother's Day watchlist:

"Are those...pussywillows?"

"What did you just say?!?"

"Pussywillows, Dottie."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mother's Day watchlist:

"Are those...pussywillows?"

"What did you just say?!?"

"Pussywillows, Dottie."

My favorite music is Kathleen Turner saying "pussywillows" over and over again.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Unseen Orson Welles round-up, pt. 1:

The Stranger (1946) - this always gets mixed reviews, but I fell in love with Welles doing a cheesy/chilling noir thriller about the bucolic post-WWII American town (and heterosexual relationships) invaded by evil, in this case in the form of Welles himself portraying a fictionalized architect of the Holocaust trying to disappear in the fictional patrician hamlet of Harper, Connecticut. Loretta Young plays his new wife well, slowly coming unglued as Welles' Nazi's faus persona, Charles Rankin, gradually tells her partial truths about why a Nazi hunter portrayed by Edward G. Robinson is circling closer and closer to Rankin's true identity. A whole lot of good (bleep) here, and Welles really knows how to end a movie. Now streaming on Netflix.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947) - speaking of endings, this is one of the all-timers not just from Welles, but from the golden age of Hollywood. It goes a long way toward redeeming a nonsensical noir whodunnit with Welles starring opposite his then wife Rita Hayworth (here a never more stunning femme fatale) as an Oirish seaman with a brogue that alternates between hilarious and cringeworthy. The movie could probably be pared down to a few choice Welles lines and pitiful looking punches as "Black Irish" tough Michael O'Hara, Rita Hayworth in a bikini, Everett Sloane as Hayworth's character's older, wealthy husband drooling "lover" over and over, Glenn Anders' unhinged intonation throughout, and the final ten minutes from courthouse brawl to almost psychadelic carnival funhouse shootout.* Just a batcrap black conedy in the best ways. Now streaming on Criterion Channel.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 71 of 189
Jump to: