Ahmaud Arbery Shooting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Ahmaud Arbery Shooting

Surprisingly didn't see a thread about this situation on LG. Not sure if the mods deleted a previous one. I didn't see anything. I apologize if they did. Wanted to make a thread for people to post updates on the developing story.

Seems like another Trayvon Martin situation. Another sad story.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Another horrific execution of an innocent black man. It looks like at least in this case there's video evidence, but it took three months for charges to be brought against Arbery's killers. Shameful (bleep).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I meant to start one and didn't get to it, so thanks for doing so.

The father and son who committed this murder were arrested on those charges today. But I have doubts they will actually ever go to trial and there's no way they will ever actually be convicted in that part of the country.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Just a horrible horrible murder that should never have occurred. This is just deplorable. This really was awful to read about, and the video was downright frightening. I don't know what he was supposed to do, the fact that I'm hearing his murderers are claiming self defense is laughable.

There just aren't enough words anymore. This needs to stop. Make an example of these guys or this will happen again, and again, and again.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Just a horrible horrible murder that should never have occurred. This is just deplorable. This really was awful to read about, and the video was downright frightening. I don't know what he was supposed to do, the fact that I'm hearing his murderers are claiming self defense is laughable.

There just aren't enough words anymore. This needs to stop. Make an example of these guys or this will happen again, and again, and again.

The problem and the tragedy is that is the cycle you describe has been well established for decades . . . nay, centuries.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Theseus wrote:

The problem and the tragedy is that is the cycle you describe has been well established for decades . . . nay, centuries.

With people still being in adamant denial about it. It has to stop, and there is a horrible feeling of helplessness to it because, like you said, its been going on for longer than our own lives. Any signs of this stopping or even slowing down? I've yet to see any.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Tragic, yet typical of this country, unfortunately.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Anytime a video like this emerges, I always think about the countless killings throughout recent history that were not caught on video, where the killers walked away with no consequence, leaving innocent dead men lying in their own blood. It's frightening to even think about. I mean, even with video, these guys might get away. It's just so crazy.

The father of the shooter is a retired officer. How many innocent black men did he kill during his career, or lock up for decades on false charges?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Anytime a video like this emerges, I always think about the countless killings throughout recent history that were not caught on video, where the killers walked away with no consequence, leaving innocent dead men lying in their own blood. It's frightening to even think about. I mean, even with video, these guys might get away. It's just so crazy.

The father of the shooter is a retired officer. How many innocent black men did he kill during his career, or lock up for decades on false charges?

This happened in February. I think the reason why they were even arrested was because the video was purposely leaked and there was a public outcry.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject:

Just think, in California the father and son would likely be released due to the no bail policy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Just think, in California the father and son would likely be released due to the no bail policy.

The no bail policy applies to non-violent crimes.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Imagine how many times the mind repeats a lie and then has to face reality... Hopefully crisis centers will be setup for Trump cult members when they wake up in the future and realize what they supported and where it was leading to...

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-20/no-bail-california-emergency

Quote:
California’s judicial leaders acted wisely when they reset bail amounts temporarily to $0 for people accused of misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I meant to start one and didn't get to it, so thanks for doing so.

The father and son who committed this murder were arrested on those charges today. But I have doubts they will actually ever go to trial and there's no way they will ever actually be convicted in that part of the country.

That so sickens me that those conditions still exist. I'm not violent by nature and usually think things through. In this case I believe I'd join a group to lynch these two. I can feel my temple veins pulsating as I ink this.

Side note:
It was mentioned in the PT by BadGuy

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

"Always remember, they didn't make arrests because they saw the video. They made arrest because we saw the video."

-Keith Lowell Jensen
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He knows this, just like he knows Fauci is a legitimate expert. The object is to misinform and yank chains.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
"Always remember, they didn't make arrests because they saw the video. They made arrest because we saw the video."

-Keith Lowell Jensen

Bingo.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Resident Gas Lighter at it again...

Nothing to contribute to the matter at hand, so Resident Gas Lighter rolls a grenade in to the tent and walks away.

At some point, Resident Gas Lighter will come back and say 'Who, me?? I would never!'
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Glynn County commissioners say DA blocked arrests after fatal shooting

BRUNSWICK — Two Glynn County commissioners say District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s office refused to allow the Glynn County Police Department to make arrests immediately after the Feb. 23 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.

“The police at the scene went to her, saying they were ready to arrest both of them. These were the police at the scene who had done the investigation,” Commissioner Allen Booker, who has spoken with Glynn County police, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “She shut them down to protect her friend McMichael.”Greg McMichael, now retired, once worked as an investigator in Johnson’s office.

Commissioner Peter Murphy, who also said he spoke directly to Glynn County police about the incident, said officers at the scene concluded they had probable cause to make arrests and contacted Johnson’s office to inform the prosecutor of their decision.

“They were told not to make the arrest,” Murphy said.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/watch-gbi-updates-following-arrests-ahmaud-arbery-shooting/1aJbZe2uL9HrndjyWYjB2L/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

WOW! That's a shock!

-Said no one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He knows this, just like he knows Fauci is a legitimate expert. The object is to misinform and yank chains.

No, the object is to illustrate what a bad policy it is. I discussed it with the local sheriff and he agrees. Especially when they have to arrest and release some giuys multiple times in a day. I made my feelings know about this case in the political thread, hanging those two wouldn’t be punishment enough.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No, the object is to illustrate what a bad policy it is. I discussed it with the local sheriff and he agrees. Especially when they have to arrest and release some giuys multiple times in a day. I made my feelings know about this case in the political thread, hanging those two wouldn’t be punishment enough.

(bleep). Omar's correct about your motives. The no bail policy in California HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE MURDERS OR THE CRIME OF MURDER ITSELF.

But you had to play stupid troll games in a thread about a man being brutally and murdered because some rednecks wanted to be vigilantes and that sucks and says a great deal about your lack character.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

We aren't a good country, and we aren't a good people. I wish I could say that views like this were in the vast, vast minority, but if you live long enough and take a look around and listen, they aren't.

Rudy Jay

@RudyJay760
·
5h

60k members and climbing.
“He fit the description and didn’t comply with simple commands”

COMPLY FOR WHO...FOR WHO

Wow...Just Wow

https://twitter.com/RudyJay760/status/1258838646511280130/photo/1
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We aren't a good country, and we aren't a good people. I wish I could say that views like this were in the vast, vast minority, but if you live long enough and take a look around and listen, they aren't.

Rudy Jay

@RudyJay760
·
5h

COMPLY FOR WHO...FOR WHO

Wow...Just Wow

I’d be in compliance with those two miserable lynchers spending the rest of their lives in an out of the way corner of the prison yard where they could get the same kind of vigilante justice they engaged in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Rudy Jay

@RudyJay760
·
5h

COMPLY FOR WHO...FOR WHO

Wow...Just Wow

He fit the description, standard go to. Right up there with STOP RESISTING.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahmaud Arbery Shooting

akk7 wrote:
Surprisingly didn't see a thread about this situation on LG. Not sure if the mods deleted a previous one. I didn't see anything. I apologize if they did. Wanted to make a thread for people to post updates on the developing story.

Seems like another Trayvon Martin situation. Another sad story.

A very sad and disturbing story. I would strongly disagree that it is similar to the Martin shooting. I am not sure why that claim has been very common today.

I do not want to get into the "guilty or innocent" debate of the Martin case, but the facts as presented in court (and every description of events that I am aware of) is Zimmerman never pulled or displayed a weapon to Martin...and the weapon only became known to Martin at some point during a physical altercation where Zimmerman was on the short end of at the time. Zimmerman's defense argued that Zimmerman had no intention on confronting Martin. Again, you can decide to believe or not believe that....but it is very different than what took place in Georgia where a neighborhood resident saw someone he claims resembled someone that may have committed a theft crime at some point recently.....then proceeded to "round up a posse", load up in cars, and track Arbery down fully displaying firearms and making demands/threats.

I want to make sure it is clear I am not telling you to believe or not believe Zimmermans defense, but most of the facts that we did know corroborated some parts of it to a degree at a minimum, and created a legal defense. I do not see how the event in Georgia could have any reasonable legal defense since it is clear the two men with guns made calls to neighbors, initiated the conflict with the visible display of weapons. The whole citizens arrest defense is ridiculous. This case reminds more of the South Carolina shooting where the cop shot the man in the back as he was walking/running (do not recall?) away.

Has there been any confirmation if the victim was shot by both men? An article I read claimed it was confirmed that the final shot that killed Arbery came from the handgun possessed by the man (father) in the bed of the truck. If that is accurate, and the man with the shotgun (the father) never shot Arbery, I assume the defense will go something like....They said something to Arbery....maybe even fired shot in the air.....then Arbery rushed the man with the shotgun (the son) trying to take the gun, and the man with the handgun (the father) shot Arbery to protect his son (suggesting Arbery would take the shotgun and harm his son). I doubt it works, but due to parts of the video not showing the men, that is where I assume a defense lawyer will try to convince a jury something took place that escalated to situation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: