Better Call Saul - Season 3 - Returns April 10th! (Hidden "Spoiler" Inside)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
. . .
That's not to take anything away from Dalton's performance in regards to his character. But you are correct, the overall impression of his character is a cumulative effort of the various elements you mention.

Thanks for the explanation -- that's fantastic. Got a new appreciation for the art when I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB5DN-nV1PM

One thing I'd be interested in your opinion on, since we've been talking about BCS vs. BB. Skylar vs. Kim. The former received a mixed reaction at best from the audience, and the latter is pretty soundly liked. it's the same creators of the characters and writers of the dialogs. Different actresses, but not THAT different. What do YOU see between how those two are presented?

I think loslakersss touches upon some of it well.

Kim and Skylar are two different story vehicles and thus move in different ways to. Kind of to los's point, I see it as the difference between being partner versus ally. It may seem like two words for the same thing, but there's a distinction. Skylar is Walt's partner as a wife, but partners are not always aligned - whether in business or an intimate relationship. Skylar was one of the factors in Walter's mundane life. She was a tie to the banality of the existence that made the underworld so attractive to him. As he moves into the depths of his decline, she may participate to an extent, but she's never part of the propellent that moves it forward. Kim is the ally. She's a true partner in crime, though at times she provides a voice of reason and caution, she's definitely in for the ride and at times even takes the wheel.

Kim enjoys the con and embraces it. Skylar sees some of the benefits of the White's new lifestyle and she tolerates it. Skylar is wary of the potentials. Kim is excited by them. So when viewers are watching the two protagonist men evolve, they are "rooting" for each, so you form two differing views of the women who are tied to them. One is a catalyst, the other is the restrictor valve. So as a viewer, your affinities for each are different.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

That makes a lot of sense -- from the pilot, Skylar was the anchor for Walt's banality. That was the root of her character, so as the storyline developed, she had to stay rooted there. Walt was never rooted there, so was capable of the transformation -- with his banality being one of the catalysts. So as the story developed, she had no other role to play than to be the wet blanket.

I suppose she could have gone on the ride with him, but Walt's story line wouldn't have been so sharp, and it would have been antithetical to her character if she did that. So even when she became part of it with the money laundering, it was still from a standpoint of disapproval -- even of herself.

Kim, OTOH, has all that in her, and just needs to be coaxed a little, either by other people or by circumstances -- then she's a willing partner. She has reluctance beforehand and regrets afterward, but it's not her rooting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Tony Dalton's screen presence is immense. Very charismatic...he reminds me of young Brando

He dominated every scene he was in.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
Tony Dalton's screen presence is immense. Very charismatic...he reminds me of young Brando

Not when Rhea lit into Lalo as Kim.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

how to make a pimento sandwich by Mike

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

Very true. I think I take her performances for granted.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

Very true. I think I take her performances for granted.

Don't broski! She's bloody amazing!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I have gone from indifferent to incredibly infatuated with Seehorn since the series began.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

^ same haha.

On another note I’m still fascinated by the wardrobe choices for each character depending on their moral fiber. We see a lot of Jimmy in light suits during the first season when he is really trying to do the right thing and shed the slippin Jimmy reputation. The he gets the ring from Marco and still dress mostly the same but the ring is his totem to the slippin ways. We start to see him in more colorful outfits while he commits scams too — whether it’s in his pool outfit before he scams that stock broker dbag or he wears a bright tie while he’s making a commercial that is gonna piss off Davis and Main. The further along he falls into Saul the wilder his outfits get. Then fast forward to after the incident in the desert. He goes back to lighter colors once he starts to realize maybe he shouldn’t be involved in this and that innocent people are getting hurt.

I know colors had a big significance in BB so it makes sense they do here too. Has anyone else picked up patterns with other characters? Mike always seem to be in neutral colors. I haven’t noticed too much with Kim, Howard, or Nacho.

Also one other thing, in season 2 Saul mentions how much trouble a person could be in if they got stranded in the desert. I love how the writers are so detail oriented that they made that line mean something later on down the line. It really makes rewatches that much more enjoyable.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

^ I noticed Nacho wears red most of the time. It only jumped out at me because the actor also plays the villain in the game Far Cry 3 and he and his entire gang wears red in it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
Jump to: