Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Ah boy... I wanted to rebuke this thread initially because I really want the season to resume but I gotta admit it’s looking bad...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

If the season gets canceled then there is nothing we can do about it but hope everyone is safe, I’m pretty sure we are gonna kill the virus and everything will be back to normal for us but we gotta be patient.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

With more and more players testing positive, including two Lakers so far, there is no way games will resume until there are effective drugs to combat the virus and minimize the risks. I’m not sure there will be a season next year either at this point. Let’s hope all the great scientists and research facilities out there (in the US and other countries) find some solutions sooner rather than later.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Can you imagine if some players get the virus and end up with permanent lung damage because of it. It would be so sad to see their careers end that way. I’m really hoping they all dodge that bullet.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
With more and more players testing positive, including two Lakers so far, there is no way games will resume until there are effective drugs to combat the virus and minimize the risks. I’m not sure there will be a season next year either at this point. Let’s hope all the great scientists and research facilities out there (in the US and other countries) find some solutions sooner rather than later.

True. People are nuts if they think this will be over in 14 days.

We can’t even supply people with tests, imagine how long it’s going to take for vaccinations to be released to the public.

And that’s just the issue of dealing with the disease. The economy is going to crash big time. Who is going to watch sports when no one has money?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Startrout wrote:

True. People are nuts if they think this will be over in 14 days.

We can’t even supply people with tests, imagine how long it’s going to take for vaccinations to be released to the public.

And that’s just the issue of dealing with the disease. The economy is going to crash big time. Who is going to watch sports when no one has money?

Who knows what will happen but this seems a bit extreme. For example, The Chinese League is set to resume season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Ah boy... I wanted to rebuke this thread initially because I really want the season to resume but I gotta admit it’s looking bad...

Hard to see it starting up again with more and more players testing positive.

2020 is ASS
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Hard to see it starting up again with more and more players testing positive.

2020 is ASS

Indeed
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That would mean that my Blues will still be the Stanley Cup champs.

And your Raptors, Chiefs, and Nationals are all current champs as well! 🤣
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
That would mean that my Blues will still be the Stanley Cup champs.

And your Raptors, Chiefs, and Nationals are all current champs as well! 🤣

Yeah, don’t quit your day job.
LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Simply put, I think the season is over. It's been too much. From Kobe's passing to this.

Well, it is definitely an asterisk season
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

May not be over.

“No matter what, they want to salvage the season.”

https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/1242131527187804161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1242131527187804161&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcsports.com%2Fbayarea%2Fwarriors%2Fnba-rumors-players-owners-want-finish-2020-season-no-matter-what
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Don’t like this proposal.

1. All games in Las Vegas at summer league venues with no fans (ok)
2. Play in tournament for lower seeds (not ideal, but fine generate excitement)
3. Playoffs are single game elimination (this is a bad idea and punishes the better teams) too much fluke to this.
4. NBA Finals would be best of 5.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://youtu.be/7lOZLynszi4

Don’t like this proposal.

1. All games in Las Vegas at summer league venues with no fans (ok)
2. Play in tournament for lower seeds (not ideal, but fine generate excitement)
3. Playoffs are single game elimination (this is a bad idea and punishes the better teams) too much fluke to this.
4. NBA Finals would be best of 5.

No that single game elemination is some wackness. The Rockets could luck up and win something. No no no...
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

Personally, I think they should just cancel the season. I see the media already throwing narratives around and no matter who wins there's going to be a huge asterisk next it, and the excuses for why this team didn't win, or that team didn't win will ruin it. If you play the games with no fans then HCA won't mean anything. If you can't start the season by sometime in April then I think it should just be cancelled.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject:

WWE has been filming their shows in an empty arena. They're going to attempt Wrestlemania without a crowd. 2020 is bizarro world, man. It's weird, but very entertaining.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Personally, I think they should just cancel the season. I see the media already throwing narratives around and no matter who wins there's going to be a huge asterisk next it, and the excuses for why this team didn't win, or that team didn't win will ruin it. If you play the games with no fans then HCA won't mean anything. If you can't start the season by sometime in April then I think it should just be cancelled.

I came up with an idea couple days ago in my bored quarantine thoughts to make HCA still mean something:

PLAYOFFS

1st round:
Higher seed must win 2 games to advance; Lower seed must win 3 games to advance.

2nd round:
Higher seed must win 2 games to advance; Lower seed must win 3 games to advance.

3rd round:
Higher seed must win 3 games to advance. Lower seed must win 4 games to advance.

Finals:
Best of 7, but higher seed gets some perks such as an extra TO, maybe some extra rule tweaks.

I feel like this gives the home court advantage edge.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

Asterisk or not, i'll take the ring. Many of the Celtics' championships should have asterisks too since there were basically 5 teams in the entire league when they were dominating.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Asterisk or not, i'll take the ring. Many of the Celtics' championships should have asterisks too since there were basically 5 teams in the entire league when they were dominating.

8 teams. But you could also make the argument that because there were fewer teams the talent was better on each team. I still believe there are too many teams in the NBA now, which makes it watered down to me. I wouldn't go back to 8 of course, but 2 or 3 teams could go away IMO.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I hope they don’t cancel everything. Baseball had no playoffs in 1994 and even though it’s over 20 years ago, it bothers me when I think about it.

The Dodgers would have been big underdogs in the playoffs but we’ll never know what would have happened to them if they played it out with all the upsets that happen in baseball.

The last championship in 1988 is too long ago. And 94 is a while ago too but still better than 88. Everyone on the 88 team looks so old. And seeing Mike Piazza win a ring would have made it the best year for a Dodger fan in the last 25+ years.

Even if the Dodgers lost in the first round I still want to know who would have won. There needs to be a winner after playing that many games.

Last edited by Steve007 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

The media still tries to (bleep) on our 2002 championship because they complain about the refs in the Sacramento series. (bleep) them.

Fwiw the Spurs and Miami Heat won after shortened seasons and they still count. That’s how Lebron won his first ring. The 99 season was very strange and only lasted 50 games.

Baseball had a very strange 1981 season. Because of the strike they divided the season into two halves. The teams with the two best overall records in their division didn’t qualify for the playoffs while 4 other teams in the National League did. The Reds had the best record in baseball and missed the playoffs anyway. It’s been so long ago but I never heard of any asterisk talk for that season. And I never heard a Dodger fan say that championship was meaningless, especially after beating the Yankees in the World Series.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Also getting that 17th title would really bother Celtic fans no matter what anyone says.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
kwase wrote:

The media still tries to (bleep) on our 2002 championship because they complain about the refs in the Sacramento series. (bleep) them.

Fwiw the Spurs and Miami Heat won after shortened seasons and they still count. That’s how Lebron won his first ring. The 99 season was very strange and only lasted 50 games.

Baseball had a very strange 1981 season. Because of the strike they divided the season into two halves. The teams with the two best overall records in their division didn’t qualify for the playoffs while 4 other teams in the National League did. The Reds had the best record in baseball and missed the playoffs anyway. It’s been so long ago but I never heard of any asterisk talk for that season. And I never heard a Dodger fan say that championship was meaningless, especially after beating the Yankees in the World Series.

Agree. There will always be bias anyway and conditional arguments. It’s sports.

Whatever they decide, the qualifying teams will all have an even level playing field. Rules and environment is the same. The only exception is a team like the Blazers might be more dangerous with injured guys coming back but they also need live game ramp up so that might not be a significant advantage.

We know a couple of LG posters who will move the goalposts anyway depending on the result. If the clippers win, it will be “credible.” If the Lakers win, it will be an “asterisk” and season should have never resumed
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Also getting that 17th title would really bother Celtic fans no matter what anyone says.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'd love to see number 17, period. Then #18 for the Lakers next year, in front of a roaring crowd.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-nba-considering-resuming-2020-223002419.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22
Jump to: