The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

If you can track it down, Perfume: Story of a Murderer (2006) has one helluva social distancing sequence. An all-timer of self-quarantines.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Controversial-ish (?) opinion: Trey Parker and Matt Stone have made three of the best musicals of the past 25 years and should let South Park retire to focus on more stage and screen musicals.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If you can track it down, Perfume: Story of a Murderer (2006) has one helluva social distancing sequence. An all-timer of self-quarantines.

Also an all-timer outbreak movie that posits maybe humans shouldn't associate with one another at all: Ebola Syndrome (1996).

This is a notoriously nasty Category III Hong Kong flick, so make sure to not watch it on a work laptop:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

"Where to Find Roger Ebert's Great Movies Streaming": Link

Not surprisingly the Criterion Channel has a lot of what Ebert included in his book series The Great Movies and on his website - Ebert Great Movies before his passing. Worth checking out the website and the Criterion Channel while cooped up inside.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Another viewing list, Edgar Wright's list of top 100 comedies: Letterboxd
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:

Long-time LA Times film critic Kenneth Turan is semi-retiring:
Quote:
Kenneth Turan
@KennethTuran
I have some big news. After close to 30 years in the most exciting and rewarding of jobs, I am stepping away from being a daily film critic for the Los Angeles Times. (more)

I will keep writing about film but at a different pace. To quote Ecclesiastes, 'To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.' Looking forward to what's to come.

https://twitter.com/KennethTuran/status/1242913480534941697
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

Day 8:

Baden Baden - I love this slight, pretty little slice-of-life movie about an aimless 26-year-old woman moving back home for a summer. Great work from first time feature filmmaker Rachel Lang who directs with effortless economy knowing exactly which beats to hit and when. And what a performance from lead Salomé Richard as Ana!

The Old Dark House (1932) - directed by James Whale for Universal inbetween horror masterpieces Frankenstein and The Invisible Man, this long-lost-then-found gem about strangers fleeing a storm to take shelter at a remote, sinister looking home populated by a weird family (the Femms) with dark secrets clearly has had a lasting impression on horror. Whale's haunted house tale more than holds up with some of the best horror movies it's indirectly inspired over the decades and does so through a fun mix of horny camp humor and legitimate creepiness. A wonderful, balanced enemble performance from everyone involved with Boris Karloff as the mute, scarred younger Femm sibling who gets horny and angry when he drinks (same), Ernist Thesiger coded as a "lifelong bachelor" chewing scenery with every prissy retort, and Charles Laughton as a late arriving unexpected guest with a tale of woe are the standouts. It's breezy, fast, fun, and eerie all while introducing and juggling so many characters under one roof. Definitely check it out - it leaves Criterion Channel on 3/31 and is also on Shudder.

Fast & the Furious: Hobbes & Shaw - well, I don't know what I expected.

All the days are running together.

Coincoin and the Extra-humans - Dumont's follow-up to 2014's Li'l Quinquin, the director brings back the same cast in the sleepy, parochial French seaside village of the first miniseries and turns the absurdity level up to 11 with an Invasion of the Body Snatchers homage. This series is probably for all of fifteen people, but Dumont leans into the deadpan absurdity, Jerry Lewis mugging, and Jack*ss style pratfalls that can be a bit too much here and there, but is more often than not downright hilarious. Bernard Pruvost and Philip Jore reprise their roles as the bumbling local cops as a latter day Laurel and Hardy via Dude, Where's My Car?

Lady in the Dark (1944) - Ginger Rogers gives an off-kilter performance in this more odd than good, hard to find musical about a career woman dealing with a psychological block due to her repressed desires to be more womanly. It's both progressive in being an early progenitor of the woman's career v. romance genre and regressive in its psychiatric solutions. There are no great song and dance numbers, which are confined exclusively to three increasingly odd dream sequences, but they are to be seen to be believed.

The Swimmer (1968) - Burt Lancaster gives one of his best performances as Ned, a coldly charming, handsome gladhander whose past and true personality are gradually revealed as he swims his way from neighbor's pool to neighbor's pool back to his home "like a river." The on the nose metaphors about aging and fragile masculinity work so well because of Lancaster's brilliant work and the sheer strangeness of the whole enterprise attempting to update the Odysseus myth via a satire of bland patrician yuppie-dom. An underrated '60s gem, catch it before it leaves Criterion Channel on 3/31 - a good takedown of the male ego and the suburban upper crust in one.

I Walk Alone (1947) - solid noir starring young Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas in which Lancaster gets out of prison after 14 years for taking a murder rap for Douglas' character while running booze and wants his cut of Douglas' successful night club he's built up during the intervening years. Lizabeth Scott does solid work as the lounge singer love interest caught in the middle (what a voice!), but this is all about seeing Lancaster and Douglas mugging and sparring in this homosocial love triangle turned sour.

The Town (2010) - hits every cliché of the genre and still is a lot of fun if a lesser version than a lot of its sources. That Affleck co-writes and directs a movie in which his bank robber character Doug McRay gets away with it while John Hamm's FBI agent chasing McRay is the worst SOB inaginable is *chefs kiss*

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - the earliest feature length animated film still extant, this retelling of a handful of tales from the Arabian Nights using silhouette animation is more than just a historical curio, it's a unique, lovely little film that feels both epic and fragile. Leaving Criterion on 3/31.

The Train (1964) - Jesus, Frankenheimer could do no wrong in the '60s. What a stone cold classic starring Lancaster as a railwayman who as a member of the French resistance (I know, just go with it) is tasked with stopping a Nazi officer from leaving the country with a treasure trove of rare French paintings on a railway train before the Allies retake Paris. Paul Scofield plays the thieving German Colonel to dastardly, cold perfection and the final showdown between he and Lancaster is epic. Holy (bleep), they blow up a train depot in this! There are multiple actual train crashes! The b&w cinematography is gorgeous and there are so many gorgeous, tense, well-shot suspense and action set pieces I can't get to all of them in this blurb. Hands down one of the best action movies of all time.

Also leaving Criterion Channel on 3/31
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

PSA:

It looks like Portrait of a Lady on Fire will pop up on Hulu by Friday.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject:

The greatest comic book movie ever made, Ghost World, is now streaming on the Criterion Channel.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Day Who Knows When - Rewatch-A-Thon:

Red River (1948) - not my favorite great western, but it remains a helluva lot of fun, jerk John Wayne is palatable John Wayne for me, and Hawks directs the crap out of the open air cattle driving scenes. And even though it's no doubt unintentional, white American settlers come off as the thieving bastards they were.

Army of Shadows (1969) - I can't think of another movie that feels like this. A masterpiece of tone, color, pacing, and performance.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

If you're looking for an uplifting flick about America and Americans, check out the slice of life documentary In Transit (2015), the final film from the late, great filmmaker Albert Maysles through 3/31 at the film's website: http://www.intransitfilm.com/watch .

It's currently unavailable anywhere else and has been made free through the end of the month. A lovely, uplifting piece of art that captures the stories of average Americans traveling on the Empire Builder train from Seattle to Chicago.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I watched Vivarium last night, the new Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots movie. That was quite the strange film lol
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I watched Vivarium last night, the new Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots movie. That was quite the strange film lol

Thumbs up? Thumbs down?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I would say thumbs up for originality but it is just so weird lol.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Red River (1948) - not my favorite great western, but it remains a helluva lot of fun, jerk John Wayne is palatable John Wayne for me, and Hawks directs the crap out of the open air cattle driving scenes. And even though it's no doubt unintentional, white American settlers come off as the thieving bastards they were.

Army of Shadows (1969) - I can't think of another movie that feels like this. A masterpiece of tone, color, pacing, and performance.

Portrait of Jason (1967) - one of the greatest movies of all time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Portrait of Jason (1967) - one of the greatest movies of all time.

Day 176:

Seven Days in May - another in a string of '60s Frankheimer successes with Burt Lancaster, here a charismatic general and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who is secretly plotting a coup against the sitting POTUS whom he sees as too soft on the USSR. Of course his plot is foiled by Kirk Douglas and a group of gifted character actors in an effective espionage thriller that's 99% discussions in rooms. Rod Serling's script can be overcooked at times - Aaron Sorkin's probably a big fan - but overall it's a fun, star-studded Hollywood message picture that's better than many of its subsequent imitators.

The Toxic Avenger - ah, toxic waste infested Tromaville. What came first? The toxic sludge or all the (bleep), thieves, and murderers who live there? A true chicken or egg problem for trashy 1980s cinema. The moral of this early superhero comedy mashup is that hot, fit people are irredeemable monsters unless they're blind, which...true? Gratuitous 1980s T&A, a handful of offensive slurs and caricatures, so many bad puns, nerds being deformed by toxic waste, old ladies getting beaten up, some social satire, and a lot of fun gross out prosthetics work - it has its audience.

Dolls - watched it after the passing of Stuart Gordon, this is a fun, dumb 80s horror film that seems to be a direct homage to The Old Dark House but with dolls that are people who have been transformed into such by the haunted house's creepy old couple played by Guy Rolfe and Hilary Mason as two of the movie's very few standouts. There are shrill caricatures of two British punk rock girls, the young heroine named Judy Bower played by a terrible child actress, and the most painfully over-the-top terrible parents I may have ever seen in a movie - just awful performances. But long-time everyman schlub character actor Stephen Lee steals the movie as the "final girl" who's sense of childlike wonder helps him pass the dollmaker's ridiculous test, survive the night, and get away with the little girl who's told her evil father and stepmother have abandoned her. Fun stuff if not a good movie.

In the Mouth of Madness - a Carpenter blind spot for me, this is a damn good mashup of Stephen King psychological horror with Lovecraftian eldritch monsters from beyond. Sam Neill gets to be a skeptic on the tail of a Stephen King stand-in, Sutter Caine, whose horror novels seem to be transforming the real world and sparking a spreading global homocidal mania. The silly plot is inverted several times and doesn't matter much, but instead watch for the sheer fun of Carpenter's visuals (and his film score), the throwback slimy, knobby creature puppetry as Jurassic Park ushers in the era of CGI monsters, and Sam Neill - with a lovely awful American accent - enjoying the heck out of himself in almost a parodic homage to Possession (1981). Julie Carmen is also a standout. And if you're not convinced, just wait for that great ending.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Were there any good to great American directors who emerged in the 2000s? So many great talents emerged in the 1970s thru the 1990s in American cinema decade by decade from New Hollywood through Spike Lee, Jarmusch and the Coens to PTA and Tarantino, etc., and I see a slew of interesting young directors who really came to prominence in the 2010s like Gerwig and Jenkins, but did any director who emerged in the 2000s manage to stick?

Is it basically just Lonergan, Coppola, and Jonze? Reitman came to prominence in the last decade, of course, but that's a mediocre forerunner for the 2000s. Apatow? Really? I guess the Safdies with Daddy Longlegs in 2008?

My research has yielded little. Please add any and all thoughts.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Does Jonze count? BJM is 1999 and Her is 2013. Adaptation is 02 but BJM is the better movie, i.e., he already emerged in 99.

And I think Chris Nolan half-counts. Following is his debut but we all remember Memento, his first US release. And then Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight. Not a bad decade.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Oh and Darren Aronofsky. Requeim for a Dream and The Wrestler were pretty good.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Were there any good to great American directors who emerged in the 2000s? So many great talents emerged in the 1970s thru the 1990s in American cinema decade by decade from New Hollywood through Spike Lee, Jarmusch and the Coens to PTA and Tarantino, etc., and I see a slew of interesting young directors who really came to prominence in the 2010s like Gerwig and Jenkins, but did any director who emerged in the 2000s manage to stick?

Is it basically just Lonergan, Coppola, and Jonze? Reitman came to prominence in the last decade, of course, but that's a mediocre forerunner for the 2000s. Apatow? Really? I guess the Safdies with Daddy Longlegs in 2008?

Good question. Rian Johnson and James Gunn would be my choices, however, they both may have made smaller debuts that I'm not aware of during the 90s so I could be wrong. It does seem to be a decade bereft of new blood.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject:

Naomi Kawase's first feature, Embracing:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Does Jonze count? BJM is 1999 and Her is 2013. Adaptation is 02 but BJM is the better movie, i.e., he already emerged in 99.

And I think Chris Nolan half-counts. Following is his debut but we all remember Memento, his first US release. And then Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight. Not a bad decade.

Ah, but Nolan is a Brit!

And, re: Aronofsky, he's right on the cusp like Jonze is - his debut feature Pi (quite good) was in 1998. Jonze had been making music videos for most of the '90s, but he, Aronofsky, and Sofia seem to be of a similar late Gen X filmmaker cohort.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Good question. Rian Johnson and James Gunn would be my choices, however, they both may have made smaller debuts that I'm not aware of during the 90s so I could be wrong. It does seem to be a decade bereft of new blood.

Good call on both. Johnson was only working on short films in the late 90s while Gunn was a screenwriter with Troma going back to the 90s who got his directing start with Slither in 2006.

I guess the Safdies, Jenkins, and Chazelle are just on the cusp with debut films in 2008 and 2009. But it's definitely a weak decade for new American filmmakers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:

Man, Ben Affleck has had one of the most mediocre acting careers out of any of the 90s heartthrobs. I haven't seen The Way Back, but his single notable performance seems to be in Gone Girl and then...? Chasing Amy?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Ah, but Nolan is a Brit!

And, re: Aronofsky, he's right on the cusp like Jonze is - his debut feature Pi (quite good) was in 1998. Jonze had been making music videos for most of the '90s, but he, Aronofsky, and Sofia seem to be of a similar late Gen X filmmaker cohort.

Half-counts! (FWIW, he split time growing up in UK/Illinois.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 66 of 189
Jump to: