2020 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Torn UCL for Noah Syndergaard, who needs Tommy John surgery.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Barry Bonds gripes about being an outcast in baseball.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28871060/barry-bonds-says-feels-mlb-given-death-sentence

So what do you think?

Will Bonds (and Clemens) get to 75% before their eligibility expires? I think it's a 50/50 proposition, but I'll bet on Yes.

If they do not get to 75%, will the Era Committee induct them? I think it won't happen immediately, but it will eventually happen.

I don't see how you can let them in. They were caught cheating, their records are tarnished.

I think if there is one thing we have learned in the last couple of months it's that the League doesn't really care about cheating . . . now gambling, that's a HOF death sentence.

The more these kinds of odd standards that are brought to light make it harder and harder for me to watch baseball.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The case for Bonds and Clemens, and the steroids era in general, is more complicated than that. The fact that the vote for Bonds has gone from 36% to 60% reflects this. I'm curious whether there will be enough extra votes in the next couple elections to push him over the line.

The voting system is weird. It sucks that your chances of being voted in depends on who else is being voted on at the same time.

Jim Edmonds had 2.5% of the vote and fell off in his first year. I thought he deserved a longer look than that.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

Happy opening day
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Jim Edmonds, tested positive for Coronavirus. Apparently has been admitted into the hospital too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Speaking of Jim Edmonds, tested positive for Coronavirus. Apparently has been admitted into the hospital too.

If I read it correctly, I think he was hospitalized with COVID-like symptoms and took a test, which they don't know the results of yet.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Theseus wrote:

If I read it correctly, I think he was hospitalized with COVID-like symptoms and took a test, which they don't know the results of yet.

I see, looks like he has pneumonia but is still waiting for his results.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Theseus wrote:

I see, looks like he has pneumonia but is still waiting for his results.

Yep. Of course, he could very well have it, but they don't yet know for sure.

Update: he did test positive, but thank goodness appears on the road to recovery.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Torn UCL for Noah Syndergaard, who needs Tommy John surgery.

it is good that he got it performed quickly because I read that Dr. Andrews and others have announced suspensions to these procedures in the short term.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject:

Today would have been opening day at Busch stadium. Nothing like April baseball, every team’s fans believe that their team has a shot at the World Series.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Today would have been opening day at Busch stadium. Nothing like April baseball, every team’s fans believe that their team has a shot at the World Series.

not sure about World Series, but we (Reds) were clearly expected to be much improved.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Major reporting here from Jeff Passan. We might see MLB play games in Phoenix and the surrounding area where spring training fields are all over, with no crowds, with teams and personnel basically sequestering in place in the area. This is the idea I like for the NBA, except in Las Vegas on the UNLV campus, with a few courts available. And in the NBA, of course they can almost go straight into the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Major reporting here from Jeff Passan. We might see MLB play games in Phoenix and the surrounding area where spring training fields are all over, with no crowds, with teams and personnel basically sequestering in place in the area. This is the idea I like for the NBA, except in Las Vegas on the UNLV campus, with a few courts available. And in the NBA, of course they can almost go straight into the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Hope they can make it work provided it's all safe for everyone.

Not a fan of the idea, but if the alternative is no baseball, I'm all for it.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

Rest in Peace Hank Steinbrenner

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2020/04/14/hank-steinbrenner-new-york-yankees-co-owner-dies-63/2988751001/

Sad day for the Yankees organization
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Astros probably somehow involved in the CV-19. At least it took the spotlight off their blatant cheating for a while.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

Louisville Slugger forced to close factory, museum, and furlough staff

Quote:
Iconic bat maker Louisville Slugger has closed down its factory and furloughed the majority of its workforce because of coronavirus shutdowns.

"We're not doing any advertising. We've cut all our expenses we can. We're just hoping we get back to normal before we run out of cash," CEO John Hillerich IV told the (Louisville) Courier Journal on Monday.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Iconic bat maker Louisville Slugger has closed down its factory and furloughed the majority of its workforce because of coronavirus shutdowns.

"We're not doing any advertising. We've cut all our expenses we can. We're just hoping we get back to normal before we run out of cash," CEO John Hillerich IV told the (Louisville) Courier Journal on Monday.

LINK

Wow, I've actually been there. When my buddies and I did a vacation for our 40th birthday years in 2016, we visited Nashville, Louisville, Chicago, and Milwaukee/Green Bay. While in Louisville, two of the places we went to were Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger factory, where you can take a tour of the place. It was actually pretty cool, if you're a baseball fan at all. It's actually the last time I have hit in a batting cage, and it's the only time I've ever hit with a wooden bat! It felt very different, I can tell you that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Wow, I've actually been there. When my buddies and I did a vacation for our 40th birthday years in 2016, we visited Nashville, Louisville, Chicago, and Milwaukee/Green Bay. While in Louisville, two of the places we went to were Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger factory, where you can take a tour of the place. It was actually pretty cool, if you're a baseball fan at all. It's actually the last time I have hit in a batting cage, and it's the only time I've ever hit with a wooden bat! It felt very different, I can tell you that.

If I am not mistaken, haven't they been losing market share in recent years?
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

Fingers crossed!

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
1h
The MLB owners have approved a proposal to present to players, as
@Ken_Rosenthal
reported. They plan to meet tomorrow to discuss it.

Now is when it starts to get serious. And we'll know soon enough if baseball is actually coming back in 2020.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Fingers crossed!

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
1h
The MLB owners have approved a proposal to present to players, as
@Ken_Rosenthal
reported. They plan to meet tomorrow to discuss it.

Now is when it starts to get serious. And we'll know soon enough if baseball is actually coming back in 2020.

I heard the owners want a 50-50 split of revenue and players want their full prorated salary.

This sounds like the biggest point of contention.

Quote:
Money is at the heart of the return, sources said. Owners, fearful of deep financial losses with fan-free stadiums, agreed in a conference call Monday afternoon to a plan that includes a 50-50 revenue split with the players, sources told ESPN.

Because MLB is the lone uncapped team sport in the United States, never has a straight revenue split been part of the game's finances. The MLBPA is almost certain to reject that element of the proposal and counter that a March agreement between the parties guaranteed players a prorated portion of their salaries depending on the number of games played. The ability to strike a financial deal could mean the difference between a baseball season and one that is canceled.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

I'm pessimistic there will be a 2020 season at all. Probably for the best since the proposals are for too few games where the asterisk will actually have meaning compared to what happening in other sports like the NBA.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

MLB has to be run by the dumbest people on the planet. While other sports are returning or have plans to return, it's looking more and more like we're not going to have a 2020 season, and 2021 is in question as well. This is with a sport that has natural social distancing, too. They could have expanded rosters and ran double headers to make up games, but noo....

Until now, MLB had a monopoly on sports between June and September, but they're about to lose that too. They're in serious trouble, and greed is going to doom the sport to irrelevance. Manfred is the worst commissioner of all time.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
MLB has to be run by the dumbest people on the planet. While other sports are returning or have plans to return, it's looking more and more like we're not going to have a 2020 season, and 2021 is in question as well. This is with a sport that has natural social distancing, too. They could have expanded rosters and ran double headers to make up games, but noo....

Until now, MLB had a monopoly on sports between June and September, but they're about to lose that too. They're in serious trouble, and greed is going to doom the sport to irrelevance. Manfred is the worst commissioner of all time.

I don't think they realize how destructive not having a 2020 season could have on the future of the game. If the owners are really losing that much money without fans, I could see them holding the line and playing hardball. Unfortunately, the effects of no MLB season will be more destructive this time because there is just so much more activities and sports available to the general public these days instead of watching baseball, so the sport will lose out if people's attention end up focusing elsewhere.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't think they realize how destructive not having a 2020 season could have on the future of the game. If the owners are really losing that much money without fans, I could see them holding the line and playing hardball. Unfortunately, the effects of no MLB season will be more destructive this time because there is just so much more activities and sports available to the general public these days instead of watching baseball, so the sport will lose out if people's attention end up focusing elsewhere.

You both make good points. To add, as I see it, the owners have agreed to pay their players according to the negotiated contract (and benefit, to benefit greatly, year after year), and don't share the spoils with the players. Now, they will lose, though not as much as they say, and here they want to the players, already with a pro rata reduction of salary, to share in the loss.

Another point against the owners. If the season were to begin, and if trades are allowed as is normal, just wait and see how much teams in contention BID UP the value of players.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

You both make good points. To add, as I see it, the owners have agreed to pay their players according to the negotiated contract (and benefit, to benefit greatly, year after year), and don't share the spoils with the players. Now, they will lose, though not as much as they say, and here they want to the players, already with a pro rata reduction of salary, to share in the loss.

Another point against the owners. If the season were to begin, and if trades are allowed as is normal, just wait and see how much teams in contention BID UP the value of players.

I've also read rumors that it's a handful of teams, led by the A's and the Angels, that are really holding things up from the ownership side. Other teams like the Dodgers are ready to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: