Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Rivers to the Colts. Hopefully, we draft a QB this year or next year since Rivers is very old.

$25 million for Rivers was a brutal overpay.

I wish you guys and him the best of luck, but you will see he needs things to be perfect on every play to be successful and any pass pressure and he morphs into a turnover machine.

At this point, I think Jacoby Brissett is a better QB actually, he can do more things than a washed up Rivers.

I worry about this exact outcome. Why go for a small upgrade at QB (if that)? Draft a potential superstar and groom him for the future. The worst-case scenario would be the coach flip-flopping back to Brissett later.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Who does better this season, Tampa or New England. I like Tampa. Neither will go the the big dance but Brady will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm a believer in Belichick's system. We'll see if it was the system or "Brady,

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Who does better this season, Tampa or New England. I like Tampa. Neither will go the the big dance but Brady will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm a believer in Belichick's system. We'll see if it was the system or "Brady,

I'll go with New England. Let's be honest here. It's not like Brady was all that good last year. I know he brings a lot of intangibles, but he was tied with Jameis Winston in QBR (ironically enough).
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'll go with New England. Let's be honest here. It's not like Brady was all that good last year. I know he brings a lot of intangibles, but he was tied with Jameis Winston in QBR (ironically enough).

While that is true it is also true he didn’t have the weapons he will have in TB. So there’s a huge opportunity for him to have a great year. The floor is that he’s better than last year because he will do as well as Jameis without the 30 interceptions
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28931790/source-ex-chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-agrees-broncos

Holds out because the Chargers offered $10 million a year to sign for less with the Broncos......
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28931790/source-ex-chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-agrees-broncos

Holds out because the Chargers offered $10 million a year to sign for less with the Broncos......

I absolutely love the Chargers roster...except for QB and offensive line. Seems like those things might be important to a winning football team!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Also, Gurley to Atlanta is interesting. Home games on turf with those knees? Good luck with that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Emmanuel Sanders signs with the Saints. If he has something left, that's a nice addition.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I absolutely love the Chargers roster...except for QB and offensive line. Seems like those things might be important to a winning football team!

Are they really going with Tyrod Taylor going into the new stadium?

That will move tickets like hotcakes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I haven’t given up on Tyrod, plus they are projected to draft Herbert.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I haven’t given up on Tyrod, plus they are projected to draft Herbert.

I could see them passing on QB at 6 if they just don't think Herbert or Love are worth it (I don't think they are, personally), and then drafting a QB in Round 2 or 3. Or, perhaps, a trade back up into Round 1 for someone like Hurts. If they can add someone like Isaiah Simmons at 6, might really make sense. They haven't had an impact linebacker like that for a long time.

I could also see them in the mix for Cam Newton, once he gets released. I know they have publicly said they are willing to go with Taylor, but if they happened to get an injury-free season from Newton, he gives them far more upside than Taylor obviously does. I don't see them going for Winston, who has been a turnover machine his whole career, and they just saw a season of that from Rivers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

While that is true it is also true he didn’t have the weapons he will have in TB. So there’s a huge opportunity for him to have a great year. The floor is that he’s better than last year because he will do as well as Jameis without the 30 interceptions

Bold green is another reason I went with TB.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

As expected, Cam Newton officially released. Chargers and Patriots could be landing spots.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Someone on Twitter posted that TB has never given a second contract to a QB that they drafted. I haven’t verified that.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As expected, Cam Newton officially released. Chargers and Patriots could be landing spots.

Get out of my head...I was thinking those two exact teams.

Watch out for Cam, he plays best with a chip on his shoulder and just got blown out for Teddy Bridgewater.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Get out of my head...I was thinking those two exact teams.

Watch out for Cam, he plays best with a chip on his shoulder and just got blown out for Teddy Bridgewater.

Well there aren't a lot of teams really left that need a starting QB! Jacksonville could be another, I suppose, if they want to try to catch lightning in a bottle with Newton while still having Minshew around. It's not like they have to be married to starting Minshew; he still has a lot of time on his rookie deal. And I'm not even convinced he's good. In fact, leaning towards him not being good.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I’ll say Tampa. I think Brady will do much better now that he has some real weapons to play with instead of guys that can’t catch the football. Losing Gronkowski was a major blow; it’s not surprising the Patriots offense looked worse without him. And Winston turned the ball over 35 times.

BUT I would not be surprised to see the Patriots do better. Brady had some injuries affect him last season. A 43 year old that was slowed down by injuries has me curious to see if Brady can even last another season. It’s fascinating to see how long he can play before his body gives up on him and almost forces him to retire.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Who knows if the draft will even happen on the scheduled dates (of course it's already been canceled as a public event), but it's mock draft season again. What the hell, here's my first attempt at a mock. Will undoubtedly change as more info gets leaked.

1. Bengals Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
It's about 99% likely that this will be the pick, barring some insane offer coming their way to move down.

2. Redskins Chase Young, DE, Ohio St.
While there's a better chance of a trade at #2 than at #1, this is a pick that is all-but-assured if Washington stands pat. New coach Ron Rivera is probably salivating at the possibility of adding Young to an already-talented D-line.

3. Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
TRADE! The Lions would only move down 2 spots here and still very likely get the player they were targeting anyway. As for why Miami moves up, it's simple: I believe they have been coveting Tua for well over a year, and although his hip injury threw a wrench into things, his recent medical reports have been positive, and I just think that he possesses too much upside for them to let him get away. With other teams lurking (Chargers?) and threats to move up, Miami is in the best position to secure him, given that the Lions only have to move down 2 spots and given that Miami is loaded with draft capital to offer. I'll say that Miami gives up #5, #39, and a 2021 2nd rounder.

4. Giants Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa
This is a spot where the Giants could consider outstanding talents like Isaiah Simmons, Derrick Brown, or Jeffrey Okudah, or an offensive lineman. This year there are once again premium OL talents available, unlike last year. As invested as the team is in Daniel Jones and even Saquon Barkley, I think Dave Gettleman opts for another hogmollie. Wirfs killed the Combine and I'll project him as the choice.

5. Lions Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio St.
Here's where the Lions still get their guy, and they picked up a couple of 2nd rounders from Miami in the process, including one this year. Darius Slay out and Marcus Trufant in is a net negative for Matt Patricia's bunch, but getting Okudah could make it a net positive for sure. They'll hope he's even better than Slay was.

6. Chargers Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
I really have my doubts about Herbert. That said, there's a lot of smoke connecting him to LA with this pick, and I'm obviously not Tom Telesco. Simmons would make a potentially fearsome defense all the more formidable, and an offensive tackle is still needed. Still, no QB-of-the-future is on the roster, and I'm slightly leaning towards Cam Newton being a Patriot at the end of the day. Add it all up, and for now I'll stick with Herbert as the choice.

7. Panthers Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson
I absolutely love this player, and here's a case where BPA and fit come together. In the wake of Luke Kuechly's retirement, here's an immediate anchor for the new regime. Of course, addressing the OL and Brown could be in play here instead.

8. Cardinals Mekhi Becton, OL, Louisville
Gargantuan yet athletic, Becton is a big need for a team that obviously has to think about protecting Kyler Murray. After the heist for DeAndre Hopkins (thanks, Bill O'Brien!), the Cards are ahead of the curve as they enter the draft. I could see Brown as a real option here too.

9. Jaguars Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
The rebuilding Jags get a steal here with Brown at #9. Dude is a beast, and though it would make sense for the team to trade down if it can, if Brown or Simmons were on the board here, it would be tough to pass up a chance at either.

10. Browns Andrew Thomas, OL, Georgia
Yes, the Browns invested in Jack Conklin at RT, but with as pathetic as their O-line was last season, a LT is still sorely needed. (Sorry, Greg Robinson.) Thomas offers the potential for a quick turnaround on shoring up the tackle spots. The last time the Browns employed a LT named Thomas, it worked out pretty well.

11. Jets Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
The Jets signed Breshad Perriman in the wake of Robby Anderson's departure, but more weapons for Sam Darnold are clearly needed, and Perriman has hardly been able to sustain much success in his career (though the finish to last season was at least promising). WR is deep this year, but this feels like a good spot for Jerry Jeudy to come off the board, a player I am confident is better than Calvin Ridley.

12. Raiders CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
The Raiders made some splashy additions in free agency on the defensive side of the ball, but a true #1 WR is still needed. Obviously, the Antonio Brown move didn't work out, and even if Tyrell Williams bounces back from his foot issues and even though they like Hunter Renfrow in the slot, a reliable perimeter receiver is needed. Enter Lamb, who can do it all; he will likely be the #1 WR on many teams' boards. Wouldn't shock me at all if these last two pick projections were reversed.

13. 49ers Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
Armed with this pick from the Colts from the huge DeForest Buckner trade, the 49ers could opt for his replacement (at a much lower cost, of course, than the deal Buckner secured from the Colts) in Kinlaw. I've used this phrase before, but Kinlaw really is a disruptor in the trenches. He had a fantastic Senior Bowl week, too. I thought hard about Henry Ruggs here, if John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan wanted to add another speed element to the offense.

14. Buccaneers Jedrick Wills, OL, Alabama
The Bucs are in obvious win-now mode with Tom Brady at the helm, and with RT a big need, let's get Mr. Brady some protection. Enter Wills, who ends the run on the consensus top 4 O-line guys that are available.

15. Broncos Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama
Love this fit. Courtland Sutton is obviously a stud, but he could use some help. Or, more aptly put, Drew Lock could use some more help. A speed demon like Ruggs could be a fantastic complement to Sutton.

16. Falcons K'Lavon Chiasson, DE, LSU
The Falcons will hope that last year's plan of trying to solidify the O-line through the draft will come to fruition this season (injuries ruined that idea), so this will likely be a defensive player taken here. Chiasson is an explosive pass-rusher who helped LSU just win a natty.

17. Cowboys CJ Henderson, CB, Florida
CB has become a glaring need for Dallas after losing Byron Jones. The loss of Travis Frederick to retirement also stings, but Henderson (or another CB) seems like more of a value here than a center. There's not a consensus on who teams view as the #2 overall CB behind Okudah, but Henderson is probably a good educated guess.

18. Dolphins Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
Yes, the Dolphins are doubling up on 'Bama players in the first round. Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris has the 'Fins taking McKinney at #26 overall in his latest mock, believing him to be a great fit for Brian Flores' defense. I have him going a little bit earlier.

19. Raiders Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
If you're keeping score, this is 6 'Bama players in the top 19. Mike Mayock seems to love players from solid, winning programs, and despite the addition of Eli Apple in free agency, you can use as much CB depth as you can possibly get when you play in a division with Patrick Mahomes. With their second pick of this round, the Raiders take the younger brother of now-Bills star WR Stefon Diggs, so the pedigree can't hurt here, either.

20. Jaguars Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
The Jags obviously need to bolster their CB group after trading both Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye in the past year. Enter Fulton, who becomes the team's second 1st rounder.

21. Eagles Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
Reagor is another speed-merchant of a WR, and we saw how crippled Philly's offense was last season once they lost the field-stretching abilities of DeSean Jackson. They can't make the mistake of depending on the fragile D-Jax again, so they'll hope that Reagor can step in right away, if needed.

22. Vikings Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn St.
This would've been Buffalo's pick, but they are now employing Stefon Diggs instead. Could the Vikes opt to replace him with a WR? Take a look at replenishing their CB depth? Fortify the O-line? Get a pass-rusher to replace Everson Griffen? I'll opt for the latter scenario here with Gross-Matos, who pops on tape. Keep in mind that the Vikes have another pick at #25.

23. Patriots Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
I don't pretend to know what New England will do with its pick here. I think Cam Newton will end up a Pat, even though they have Brian Hoyer back and even though they've talked up Jarrett Stidham this month. If they like Jordan Love enough, perhaps they pull the trigger, but I doubt it. The defense needs front seven reinforcements, so perhaps Queen makes some sense.

24. Saints Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
With a healthy bounce-back from Alvin Kamara and with the addition of Emmanuel Sanders, I'm expecting the Saints offense to be better next season, as long as Drew Brees doesn't fall off a cliff. Murray helps the defense.

25. Vikings Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado
The Vikes need a speedy complement to Adam Thielen after trading Diggs, and Shenault, if he can stay healthy, could be an immediate answer.

26. Dolphins D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia
At least the Dolphins picked up Jordan Howard to help with a truly dreadful RB situation, but with the defense getting better in free agency and with a third 1st round pick here, the team takes quite possibly the best RB available in Swift. The versatile JK Dobbins could also be in play if Miami goes RB.

27. Jaguars Jordan Love, QB, Utah St.
TRADE! Since John Schneider so often trades out of the 1st Round, and since I think Jordan Love ends up getting picked in the 1st Round, we just have to come up with a logical trading partner. The team that I think makes the most sense is Jacksonville. They shouldn't be wedded to Minshew, and with a haul of Brown and Fulton already, here they take a shot on the QB with their third 1st rounder. Seattle picks up #42 overall this year, a 4th rounder this year (#116 overall), and a 4th rounder next year.

28. Ravens AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa
After a disappointing combine, it may not be a guarantee that Epenesa goes in the 1st round. Still, his college production warrants this selection.

29. Titans Austin Jackson, OL, USC
The Titans already have one Jackson from USC, Adoree, so let's give them another one. In the wake of losing RT Conklin to the Browns, here they get his replacement.

30. Packers Josh Jones, OL, Houston
Of course a WR could be in play here for the Pack, but it's so deep at that position that I think they could opt for an intriguing O-lineman instead, especially since they lost Bryan Bulaga in free agency. (And Bulaga was showing a lot of injury wear-and-tear, anyway, as the Chargers may soon find out.)

31. 49ers Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
A WR could be in play when the 49ers pick at #13, and with Jefferson still available, his rangy athleticism at 6'3 could be a good complement to last year's breakout rookie Deebo Samuel. Hopefully the downgrade from Burrow to Jimmy G won't be too terrible for him!

32. Chiefs AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson
The Super Bowl champs need to replenish depth at CB, and Terrell performed well at the combine. The Clemson factory turns out another 1st rounder here.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Seems like most of these channels are becoming an offbrand ESPN Classic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27/football-week-in-america-is-coming-to-nbcsn/

Quote:
Football Week in America is coming to NBCSN

With no live sports currently happening, NBC is bringing you a full week of NFL classic games, and then some.

It’s Football Week in America, beginning Monday on NBCSN. And it will consist of classic Sunday Night Football games from NBC.

The games also will help support COVID-19 fundraising through on-screen messaging during the broadcasts.

Each night includes a pair of games, starting on Monday at 7:00 p.m. ET, with the first Manning Bowl from 2006, featuring Peyton Manning vs. Eli Manning, as called by Al Michaels and John Madden. Then, at 9:30 p.m. ET, it’s the 2013 matchup between Peyton’s Broncos and Tom Brady’s Patriots.

Daily doubleheaders continue through Sunday, April 5, with games on each of the next three Sundays, through April 26.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I would not be so sure about that....Tampa Bay should have been a contender with or without Brady with a few improvements. They needed to improve their running game and their secondary.....and reduce turnovers (interceptions and fumbles by Winston).

First the Defense. Tampa's defense was solid overall last year in most categories outside scoring, but much of that was turnover related and the other team having excellent field position on many drives. The run defense was the best in the NFL is yards allowed, and the front 7 are all back. Most teams have to double team Suh and Vita Vea which allows Gholston, Shaq Barrett and JPP to create havoc off the edges. Barrett led the NFL in sacks last season (19.5) and JPP had 8.5 in 10 games. Finally Lavonte David and Devin White are in the middle, and White was getting better with each game last season finishing the season as Defensive Rookie of the Month in the NFC for November and December. The front 7 is as good as any in the NFL. The secondary is extremely young, but showed they had potential of being very good the second half of the season. I expect Carlton Davis to begin getting mentioned as one of the better CB's in the NFL in the near future if he continues to progress. Our Safety's are the biggest question mark, but that is because that group has been injured over the last two seasons as rookies and 2nd year players....but when healthy played well. The defense has some solid depth to finish things up.

The offense. It all starts with the best receiver duo in the NFL with Evans and Godwin. The TE's are also very good (Howard and Brate). The offensive line got a poor reputation because of the sacks, but Tampa Bay had far more 7 step drops than any other team in the NFL, and that combined with a QB that is reluctant to throw the ball away is why the team allowed so many sacks. The offensive line was average and should be bolstered by taking a Tackle early in the draft. The running game was poor....Peyton Barber is a backup RB @ best in the NFL, and it took RoJo almost 2 seasons to not suck. The good news is Ronald Jones looked much better late in the season, and the Bucs will likely add a RB within the first 3 rounds of the draft to compliment Jones.

This Tampa Bay team is loaded with weapons on both sides of the ball, and I expect 12ish wins this season. Take a look at this past seasons losses...

- vs. 49'ers - 31-17 - Winston had 3 interceptions
- vs. Giants - 32-31 - Winston had 1 interception
- @ Saints - 31-24 - Winston had 0 interceptions
- vs. Panthers - 37-26 - Winston had 5 interceptions & a lost fumble
- @ Titans - 27-23 - Winston had 2 interceptions & 2 lost fumbles
- @ Seahawks - 40-34 (OT)- Winston had 0 interceptions & a lost fumble) was in 4th Q in Seattle territory, and Seattle scored.
- vs. Saints - 34-17 - Winston had 4 interceptions
- vs. Texans - 23-20 - Winston had 4 interceptions
- vs. Falcons - 28-22 (OT) - Winston had 2 interceptions including a walk off pick 6 in OT

See the pattern? Logic would suggest without all of the Winston turnovers, Tampa Bay wins 4? 5? maybe more of those games they lost in a 7 win season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

The question is whether you're getting Peyton Manning/Joe Montana or Joe Namath/Johnny Unitas.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Here's a surprise: the Cowboys are signing Aldon Smith. Yes, Aldon Smith, who hasn't played since 2015. They are expecting him to be reinstated, clearly. Jay Glazer originally reported it and he says he's turned his life around.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I have to say, NBCSN's "Football Week in America" has been a welcome respite in this void of live sports.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I have to say, NBCSN's "Football Week in America" has been a welcome respite in this void of live sports.

It has even though I watched these games its nice to relive a better time.

Also I'm getting old this seems like yesterday but watching Manning Bowl I made me realize that this was 13 years ago.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It has even though I watched these games its nice to relive a better time.

Also I'm getting old this seems like yesterday but watching Manning Bowl I made me realize that this was 13 years ago.

Yes, my wife and I were talking about how while it's fun to watch football again even though you know the outcomes of the games, it's really sobering how long ago these games that seem they were played yesterday actually took place.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27
Jump to: