2020 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: 2020 Major League Baseball Thread

Spring Training has started!

- How will teams respond to the Astros, and how with the Astros respond the negative spotlight?

- Are the Dodgers beatable in the NL? Will we get the epic Dodgers/Yankees World Series?

- Are the Reds really back?

- Will there be a breakout MVP or CY Young winner....or just the normal suspects?

- Will the 3 batter minimum impact the game? Will a pitcher fake an injury to get out of the game early?

- Will Trout still be considered the best player in the game after the season?

I am ready for baseball.....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Bold prediction, Trout will be the best player in MLB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

Dodgers will win 100+ games
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

probably....but not 100% sure they have 100+ win starting rotation? Will there be any decline in Kershaw and Price? Will Wood be healthy?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

probably....but not 100% sure they have 100+ win starting rotation? Will there be any decline in Kershaw and Price? Will Wood be healthy?

I think Buehler will win 20 games, Kershaw and Price maybe around 15 each. Not sure about the rest of the guys though since it seems the 4/5 spots might be by-committee.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I think Buehler will win 20 games, Kershaw and Price maybe around 15 each. Not sure about the rest of the guys though since it seems the 4/5 spots might be by-committee.

The starting pitching is plenty good enough to get through the regular season. Buehler is a legit ace. Kershaw, even if he pitches more to his FIP this season, is at least a #3. Ditto Price, who was actually outstanding last year before the cyst issues derailed him, and moving from the AL East to the NL West (and to the NL in general) should be a good little boost for him. Urias, if healthy, might pitch better than a #3. And all the other options are capable of pitching like middle-of-the-rotation options, from Wood to Gonsolin to Stripling to May. And the good news is that the Dodgers can just plug in one of those guys if there's an injury or to keep guys' innings down.

I'm more concerned about the bullpen, though there's legit upside with that group. I am not necessarily buying the Jansen-has-found-his-cutter-again talk, but I suppose it's good that he was at 93-94 in his first spring action today, as opposed to 85-87 during his first outing last season in the spring. Treinen will be a major asset even if he just splits the difference between his superlative 2018 and his down 2019. Kelly has been up-and-down in his career but we saw flashes last year, so if he is on an upswing heading to the postseason (he wasn't last season physically), we've seen what he can do in a postseason when he's in form. And Graterol gives us another potential high-end talent there. We know what Baez is at this point, which is a fairly reliable 6th-7th inning guy, but I can't count him as someone with upside for more at this point. Still, he's come a long way, and good for him. Basically, if two of the 4 of Jansen/Treinen/Kelly/Graterol hit their ceilings, we should be fine. If three of the 4 do, look out. If only one (or none) of the 4 do, we'll probably be in the market for a high-impact reliever before the trade deadline.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

How good can the Angels be? Wild Card team? Better?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

The starting pitching is plenty good enough to get through the regular season. Buehler is a legit ace. Kershaw, even if he pitches more to his FIP this season, is at least a #3. Ditto Price, who was actually outstanding last year before the cyst issues derailed him, and moving from the AL East to the NL West (and to the NL in general) should be a good little boost for him. Urias, if healthy, might pitch better than a #3. And all the other options are capable of pitching like middle-of-the-rotation options, from Wood to Gonsolin to Stripling to May. And the good news is that the Dodgers can just plug in one of those guys if there's an injury or to keep guys' innings down.

I'm more concerned about the bullpen, though there's legit upside with that group. I am not necessarily buying the Jansen-has-found-his-cutter-again talk, but I suppose it's good that he was at 93-94 in his first spring action today, as opposed to 85-87 during his first outing last season in the spring. Treinen will be a major asset even if he just splits the difference between his superlative 2018 and his down 2019. Kelly has been up-and-down in his career but we saw flashes last year, so if he is on an upswing heading to the postseason (he wasn't last season physically), we've seen what he can do in a postseason when he's in form. And Graterol gives us another potential high-end talent there. We know what Baez is at this point, which is a fairly reliable 6th-7th inning guy, but I can't count him as someone with upside for more at this point. Still, he's come a long way, and good for him. Basically, if two of the 4 of Jansen/Treinen/Kelly/Graterol hit their ceilings, we should be fine. If three of the 4 do, look out. If only one (or none) of the 4 do, we'll probably be in the market for a high-impact reliever before the trade deadline.

The loss of Maeda definitely hurts our bullpen but hopefully our offense is enough to offset any pitching deficiencies.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Gerrit Cole on Astros: "I’m telling you, we played fair and square last year. I didn’t see anything in 2018 either. I really didn’t. But no one wants to hear it now."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/02/23/gerrit-cole-new-york-yankees-spring-training/4849898002/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

They are really solid in the top half of their lineup. We (Reds) played them yesterday and they used their normal top of the lineup, and it was the first time I realized the strength of it....

- Fletcher
- Trout
- Rendon
- Ohtani
- Upton
- Pujols

That could be a tough 5 or 6 guys to get through without them doing any damage.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

They are really solid in the top half of their lineup. We (Reds) played them yesterday and they used their normal top of the lineup, and it was the first time I realized the strength of it....

- Fletcher
- Trout
- Rendon
- Ohtani
- Upton
- Pujols

They might need to be the AL's version of the Colorado Rockies this year, because Griffin Canning felt something in his elbow yesterday and is going for an MRI. Joe Maddon admits concern. He was one of their only starters with some semblance of upside to be more than just a guy.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

- Fletcher
- Trout
- Rendon
- Ohtani
- Upton
- Pujols

With the Angels, the issue is always going to be their pitching.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

Mike Trout "blew up the Death Star."
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Reds smacked the Dodgers around today....probably a solid foreshadow of what to expect this season. They always say what happens in Spring Training is usually exactly what will happen in the season.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bold prediction, Trout will be the best player in MLB

This is as certain as high and inside pitches to Altuve this year.

I've watched tons of Angels games since Pujols came over from Stl. Trout has made that very easy to do. Ohtani has been a very nice surprise, and Rendon is downright insane. Its going to be a very exciting season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

Barry Bonds gripes about being an outcast in baseball.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28871060/barry-bonds-says-feels-mlb-given-death-sentence

So what do you think?

Will Bonds (and Clemens) get to 75% before their eligibility expires? I think it's a 50/50 proposition, but I'll bet on Yes.

If they do not get to 75%, will the Era Committee induct them? I think it won't happen immediately, but it will eventually happen.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28871060/barry-bonds-says-feels-mlb-given-death-sentence

So what do you think?

Will Bonds (and Clemens) get to 75% before their eligibility expires? I think it's a 50/50 proposition, but I'll bet on Yes.

If they do not get to 75%, will the Era Committee induct them? I think it won't happen immediately, but it will eventually happen.

I don't see how you can let them in. They were caught cheating, their records are tarnished.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

The case for Bonds and Clemens, and the steroids era in general, is more complicated than that. The fact that the vote for Bonds has gone from 36% to 60% reflects this. I'm curious whether there will be enough extra votes in the next couple elections to push him over the line.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm curious whether there will be enough extra votes in the next couple elections to push him over the line.

You’d be one of the few who are still curious. Seems that most analysts think his and Clemens’ chances are zero.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

So what do you think?

I don't see how you can let them in. They were caught cheating, their records are tarnished.

I think if there is one thing we have learned in the last couple of months it's that the League doesn't really care about cheating . . . now gambling, that's a HOF death sentence.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Opening Day delayed at least 2 weeks; Spring Training games cancelled
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

The delay in games and the Virus in general is probably the greatest thing the spineless cheaters over at the Astros could have happen to them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
The delay in games and the Virus in general is probably the greatest thing the spineless cheaters over at the Astros could have happen to them.

They should just eliminate the Astros from the schedule to allow the League to make up games faster when they return.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

would never happen but a damn good idea
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

They should just eliminate the Astros from the schedule to allow the League to make up games faster when they return.

Haha, brilliant.

But selfishly I don't want to miss out on giving them hell when they come to Seattle, whenever that's going to now be.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: