Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 489, 490, 491 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Couldn’t catch the card (was gigging) but looks like I didn’t miss too much.

I like Dom Reyes. That he was able to make a fight as close as everyone is saying this one was while still being so young in the game says a lot. Looking forward to watching his development.

Count me in with my man, JB re: meaningless takedowns. Bones even mention how huge they are in fights. So that was his safe out. Kind of like the lesser version of the FT line dunk automatically beats any other dunk even if you’ve already done it earlier in the competition. And why are takedowns the end all? Just because GSP? Not feeling that at all.

John’s command and unearthly talent may just be descending now too. We’ll know more soon enough.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Couldn’t catch the card (was gigging) but looks like I didn’t miss too much.

I like Dom Reyes. That he was able to make a fight as close as everyone is saying this one was while still being so young in the game says a lot. Looking forward to watching his development.

Count me in with my man, JB re: meaningless takedowns. Bones even mention how huge they are in fights. So that was his safe out. Kind of like the lesser version of the FT line dunk automatically beats any other dunk even if you’ve already done it earlier in the competition. And why are takedowns the end all? Just because GSP? Not feeling that at all.

John’s command and unearthly talent may just be descending now too. We’ll know more soon enough.

Have you guys asked yourself the same questions I have? Just about the first moment he stepped into the octagon, Jon's physical advantage has always been his freakish length/height in the division. I'm not discounting his skill set at all as you all know what I think of the guy in terms of being the GOAT. At the end of the day though, that length/height was ALWAYS the x-factor that would erase everything else. He's now starting to face guys that are his size in both stature and reach. Dom is exactly that and THAT mofo is legit D1 and former NFL caliber prospect to boot. Despite being on the short hand in the experience department by a country mile, it took a horrible decision by almost ALL accounts for Jon to win. It begs the question...

In any event, MMA is such a stupid young sport. I thought we were already in the era where the best are in it but the more I think about it, we're not. AT ALL. I have a feeling (and I'd put money on it) that that in 20 years, we're going to laugh at some of this stuff. Simply put, MMA hasn't reached it's MJ/Kobe (yeah you damn right I put Kobe in there) moment where the precipice has been reached. Not even close.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Feel that, JB. There are yet levels greater to reach. MMA has some of the world's best athletes but not yet those from the US. The same thing has happened in reverse in boxing. But the dollars are getting insane in MMA so, it won't be long.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Feel that, JB. There are yet levels greater to reach. MMA has some of the world's best athletes but not yet those from the US. The same thing has happened in reverse in boxing. But the dollars are getting insane in MMA so, it won't be long.

That’s what it’s going to take to attract the best athletes $$$$$

Then we’ll start seeing how good martial artists can be. Just look how Greg hardy has been as an ultra newcomer. Now imagine someone with that athleticism raised in MMA from infancy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

That’s what it’s going to take to attract the best athletes $$$$$

Then we’ll start seeing how good martial artists can be. Just look how Greg hardy has been as an ultra newcomer. Now imagine someone with that athleticism raised in MMA from infancy

The next 5 - 10 years are going to be very interesting to watch. This is an exceedingly unforgiving game. So, it's gonna take elite level athletes that are coming up from supremely rough circumstances who look at an octagon as their only way out. Dom Reyes is a good example of a guy that was able to jet stream to a title shot without having to take too much abuse so maybe some parents will allow their kids to partake at the entry levels and let them continue if they show elite progress.

In some ways, the Adesanya/Romero fight can serve as a microcosm of the MMA game, as a whole, hitting that next level.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

Adesanya has fought all over the world and has way more experience than his boyish looks foretell

Something seems like he has taken on a whole new mentality.. FORCED TO via the competition and the spotlight..

If he passes Romero is he ready for Costa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Jan knocks Anderson’s title shot hopes into the shadow realm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I was watching that shot and was wondering if Jon can eat it. Reyes hit Jon with some absolute bombs and Jon just got stronger lol...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I was watching that shot and was wondering if Jon can eat it. Reyes hit Jon with some absolute bombs and Jon just got stronger lol...

Yes Jon’s chin is underrated. If it can stand up to polish power like that I’d be impressed! Corey got way too close with that low kick and paid the price

What did you think of Diego taking the DQ and subsequent win bonus? lol
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Yes Jon’s chin is underrated. If it can stand up to polish power like that I’d be impressed! Corey got way too close with that low kick and paid the price

What did you think of Diego taking the DQ and subsequent win bonus? lol

Man's gotta eat lol.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I’m surprised Corey Anderson’s beard didn’t get detached with that shot.

JJ chin is undefeated and I highly doubt Jan ever gets a shot off that clean against him. He’s a perfect candidate to come away from a fight with Bones much like Anthony Smith did. Take such a large variety of strikes that he just shells up and doesn’t throw anything.

Diego on some different ish. He dgaf. He was posing all hard before his hand got raised, like, “That’s right. This was my destiny!!”
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

If short on time FF to 50.sec mark
Adesanya Romero danceoff
https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-israel-adesanya-shows-off-dancing-skills-yoel-romero-wins-the-dance-battle-with-a-backflip/amp/
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Adesanya taking on Romero is BALLS OF STEEL.

No reason for him to take that fight, let alone seek it and that's precisely what he did.

Dude is on the launchpad to legend with a bullet.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Adesanya taking on Romero is BALLS OF STEEL.

No reason for him to take that fight, let alone seek it and that's precisely what he did.

Dude is on the launchpad to legend with a bullet.

It happened against the short dude in the 5th round. He spoke about it after the fight that he was willing to die in there.

He wants to fight Stipe too..

Maybe he gets knocked out but he is sort of doing a Connor.. hype machine for Dollars. I believe he is willing to fight these guys though.. He has 100s of professional fights iirc..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Dana supporting Trump is Odd.

Do they pressure him into expressing support for the POTUS
Or face unhappy scorned consequences?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Dana supporting Trump is Odd.

Do they pressure him into expressing support for the POTUS
Or face unhappy scorned consequences?

Dana been friends with Trump long before he was the president
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/john-mccarthy-blasts-referee-for-horrendous-ion-cutelaba-vs-magomed-ankalaev-decision/

Dude really was playing rope a dope and ref ended the fight thinking he was out on his feet.
*Saw a good reply that "If" that is one of your strategies you should tell the ref what to look for so he doesn't get doped too

I think I'd demand a drug test of that ref.

They have it harder than boxing with no standing counts. Cutelaba did get hit a couple times but he made them look like they really hit him hard when they didn't faze him and he was even faking his wobbly overhand punch
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he did enough to beat a champion.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

What a great championship fight between Zhang and Jedrzejczyk. It could have gone either way. I was good with the decision. It was one of the greatest fights in MMA history male or female.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
What a great championship fight between Zhang and Jedrzejczyk. It could have gone either way. I was good with the decision. It was one of the greatest fights in MMA history male or female.

Joanna looked like Megamind by the end of that fight. Or maybe Quark from Star Trek DS9.

Yoel trying to pin it on Izzy for not engaging during the post fight was the biggest crock of (bleep). That garbage turtling is the exact reason why people hate to watch Woodley fight. Yoel took that approach and turned it up to an 11. It completely set the tone for the fight.

Next time a counterpuncher tries to pull the stunt of just literally standing there, their opponent should just stand there as well. 5 rounds of 2 guys staring at each other. We'll see how long before Dana cuts their ass from the roster.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I don't think he did enough to beat a champion.

Not even close.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

Joanna looked like Megamind by the end of that fight. Or maybe Quark from Star Trek DS9.

Yoel trying to pin it on Izzy for not engaging during the post fight was the biggest crock of (bleep). That garbage turtling is the exact reason why people hate to watch Woodley fight. Yoel took that approach and turned it up to an 11. It completely set the tone for the fight.

Next time a counterpuncher tries to pull the stunt of just literally standing there, their opponent should just stand there as well. 5 rounds of 2 guys staring at each other. We'll see how long before Dana cuts their ass from the roster.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9e2pgrhVMN/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

Douchebag . . .UFC'S DANA WHITE
I Spoke With Trump
FIGHTS WILL GO ON!!!

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

Looks like the fight is off (again): Source

Khabib said, “So, we had to fly back to Russia. Currently, I am in Dagestan and I am training and preparing every day, although I don’t know what am I preparing for, because after we came to Russia we also learned that the borders are going to be locked. Same like in the States, same like in Europe, Emirates – everywhere. The whole world is in quarantine right now.”

Tony's response: “April 18 is getting close [Khabib Nurmagomedov and] you’re hiding in Russia,” Ferguson wrote. “Travel bans will not prevent me from whoopin’ that ass. Don’t use it as an excuse to back out. You have been sent many locations, send us [one]. Still my (bleep).”
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject:

5 times trying to make this fight lol smh
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 489, 490, 491 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 490 of 499
Jump to: