LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I'm buying a Belli jersey. I just listened to his interview. Make him a Dodger for life.

If I had to guess, I think we will strongly prioritize making he and Buehler Dodgers for a long time. I don't think the same about Seager.

I agree with you. But just to play devil’s advocate, if we end up signing Mookie Betts this summer...

Out of Seager and Bellinger, Seager might be playing the more irreplaceable position.

Of course, that depends on if we view Bellinger as a CF or corner outfielder.

But of course, Bellinger's the more irreplaceable talent by far. Just saying Seager might be playing the more irreplaceable position.

Nevertheless, if we're going to give big money to a SS in 2 years, I'd imagine they'd rather go after Lindor in free agency.

We could see Lux as the future SS, actually.

Yup, that's also a possibility. Let's see how his defense progresses. But even then, with Justin Turner looking old, we'll still need a 3rd basemen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I'm buying a Belli jersey. I just listened to his interview. Make him a Dodger for life.

If I had to guess, I think we will strongly prioritize making he and Buehler Dodgers for a long time. I don't think the same about Seager.

I agree with you. But just to play devil’s advocate, if we end up signing Mookie Betts this summer...

Out of Seager and Bellinger, Seager might be playing the more irreplaceable position.

But of course, Bellinger's the more irreplaceable talent by far. Just saying Seager might be playing the more irreplaceable position.

Nevertheless, if we're going to give big money to a SS in 2 years, I'd imagine they'd rather go after Lindor in free agency.

Yup, that's also a possibility. Let's see how his defense progresses. But even then, with Justin Turner looking old, we'll still need a 3rd basemen.

Definitely. If Turner is still hitting, I could see us re-signing him on a team-friendly deal if we think he can handle first base. In that case, perhaps you see Muncy move to second base and Lux to SS, with Seager being moved, and then who knows how we fill third base. A trade? Free agency? Would Hoese be ready by 2021? Who knows.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nolan or Bryant please! Probably can't add more stars without risk losing Mookie but would u rather have Noland at the hit corner or Mookie manning right field for the next decade?

1978-2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nolan or Bryant please! Probably can't add more stars without risk losing Mookie but would u rather have Noland at the hit corner or Mookie manning right field for the next decade?

Nolan or Bryant will cost a ton in prospects. Right now, who can we actually give up? Seems like we're graduating quite a few this year:

Graderol
May
Gonsolin
Lux

Only highly rated ones left are: Gray, Ruiz, & Diego Cartaya.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nolan or Bryant will cost a ton in prospects. Right now, who can we actually give up? Seems like we're graduating quite a few this year:

Graderol
May
Gonsolin
Lux

Only highly rated ones left are: Gray, Ruiz, & Diego Cartaya.

We've had so many young players turn out well that other teams may give our prospects a bump. For example, take last year's first round pick, Kody Hoese. He might not be a top-100 prospect by the consensus, but given how well we've drafted and developed, a guy like that could have more value that whatever his Baseball America ranking is.

You could also throw Will Smith onto the list of our desirable trade assets. Given that we also have Ruiz and Cartaya, it wouldn't shock me at all if we end up moving Smith at some point soon. Now, we might have to sign a stopgap veteran to step in until either Ruiz or Cartaya are ready, but my point is that Smith is yet another asset we have and we happen to have prospect depth at that position.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We've had so many young players turn out well that other teams may give our prospects a bump. For example, take last year's first round pick, Kody Hoese. He might not be a top-100 prospect by the consensus, but given how well we've drafted and developed, a guy like that could have more value that whatever his Baseball America ranking is.

You could also throw Will Smith onto the list of our desirable trade assets. Given that we also have Ruiz and Cartaya, it wouldn't shock me at all if we end up moving Smith at some point soon. Now, we might have to sign a stopgap veteran to step in until either Ruiz or Cartaya are ready, but my point is that Smith is yet another asset we have and we happen to have prospect depth at that position.

Even with that possibility, we'd be competing against other more attractive offers for Bryant and Arenado w/ teams offering real top 100 prospects (multiples).

Yeah, I can't see either of them going for less than what we gave up for Mookie. I can't see them allowing us to hold onto May, Gonsolin, Gray, etc and trying to push Hoese on them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Even with that possibility, we'd be competing against other more attractive offers for Bryant and Arenado w/ teams offering real top 100 prospects (multiples).

Yeah, I can't see either of them going for less than what we gave up for Mookie. I can't see them allowing us to hold onto May, Gonsolin, Gray, etc and trying to push Hoese on them.

As good as Bryant is, he's not Mookie Betts. He still clearly has MVP-potential, but he's been hampered by injuries a little bit and he doesn't bring the same value on defense and in the field that Mookie does, though Bryant is no slouch there, mainly because he offers infield/outfield versatility. If the Cubs are going to get a return similar to what Betts brought back (and keep in mind that the Dodgers being willing to take on half of Price's contract affected the final return), they are going to have to move Bryant this season. Once he becomes a rental next winter, they can't get as much for him as the Sox did for Betts.

As for Arenado, yeah, the Rockies will want a ransom, but here's the thing: he can opt out after 2021, so if they don't trade him now, he, too, becomes a virtual rental player for any acquiring team, if they don't trade him this season. Which is why I still think the Rockies move him before this season's trade deadline.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

As good as Bryant is, he's not Mookie Betts. He still clearly has MVP-potential, but he's been hampered by injuries a little bit and he doesn't bring the same value on defense and in the field that Mookie does, though Bryant is no slouch there, mainly because he offers infield/outfield versatility. If the Cubs are going to get a return similar to what Betts brought back (and keep in mind that the Dodgers being willing to take on half of Price's contract affected the final return), they are going to have to move Bryant this season. Once he becomes a rental next winter, they can't get as much for him as the Sox did for Betts.

As for Arenado, yeah, the Rockies will want a ransom, but here's the thing: he can opt out after 2021, so if they don't trade him now, he, too, becomes a virtual rental player for any acquiring team, if they don't trade him this season. Which is why I still think the Rockies move him before this season's trade deadline.

Yeah but Bryant w/ 2 yrs left would command a larger package than 1 yr of Betts
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, I would probably agree with that, even if he isn't as good. Which means they'd have to move him this year if they want that type of a return. Ditto the Rockies with Arenado. Which is why I don't see how an Arenado-Bryant trade makes much sense, unless Arenado were to agree not to opt out. But if that's the case, then the Cubs would have to give up a lot more.

By the way, I am happy that we now have African-Americans on the Dodgers once again. It felt wrong to me that last year we had zero. Just seems crazy to say.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, I would probably agree with that, even if he isn't as good. Which means they'd have to move him this year if they want that type of a return. Ditto the Rockies with Arenado. Which is why I don't see how an Arenado-Bryant trade makes much sense, unless Arenado were to agree not to opt out. But if that's the case, then the Cubs would have to give up a lot more.

By the way, I am happy that we now have African-Americans on the Dodgers once again. It felt wrong to me that last year we had zero. Just seems crazy to say.

You can blame Toles himself going AWOL for a lot of diversity issues the big league level had last year.

1978-2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

Haven’t thought about this issue at all but just off the top of my head right now, I’m struggling to think of 10 African American players
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Haven’t thought about this issue at all but just off the top of my head right now, I’m struggling to think of 10 African American players

I'm sure I'm forgetting players, but without looking anything up, this is what I come up with, in addition to Price and Betts:

Andrew McCutchen
Josh Bell
Byron Buxton
Brian Goodwin
Jo Adell (I guess he hasn't debuted yet, though)
Keynan Middleton
Khris Davis
Chris Archer
Taijuan Walker
Ian Desmond
Joe Ross
Tyson Ross
Michael Taylor
Jason Heyward
Carl Edwards Jr.
Jordan Hicks
Aaron Altherr
Tony Kemp
Aaron Judge
Tim Anderson
Tim Beckham
Dee Gordon
Christin Stewart (I drafted him in a fantasy league last year)
Cameron Maybin
Mychal Givens

That's all I could name without looking stuff up. Twenty-seven guys, including Betts, Price, and Adell. Of course, Curtis Granderson and CC Sabathia just retired.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject:

^
Forgot Jackie Bradley Jr.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject:

Now, in looking things up, here are others, some of which were obvious names I overlooked. There are many more, though still not very many, relatively speaking:

Keon Broxton (former top prospect)
Lorenzo Cain
Willie Calhoun
Michael Brantley
Delino DeShields Jr.
Amir Garrett
Jarrod Dyson
Niko Goodrum
Dexter Fowler
Hunter Greene (Reds top prospect)
Edwin Jackson (still playing!)
Matt Kemp (how quickly I forget)
Aaron Hicks
Josh James
Jeremy Jeffress
Howie Kendrick
Tommy Pham
Eric Thames
Addison Russell
Mallex Smith
Giancarlo Stanton (hello!)
Devon Travis (current MLB free agent, never panned out as Toronto 2B)
Marcus Stroman
Marcus Semien
Justus Sheffield
Justin Upton

In addition, Adam Jones has signed in Japan, while Rajai Davis and Eric Young Jr. have signed deals with Mexican League clubs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I'm sure I'm forgetting players, but without looking anything up, this is what I come up with, in addition to Price and Betts:

Andrew McCutchen
Josh Bell
Byron Buxton
Brian Goodwin
Jo Adell (I guess he hasn't debuted yet, though)
Keynan Middleton
Khris Davis
Chris Archer
Taijuan Walker
Ian Desmond
Joe Ross
Tyson Ross
Michael Taylor
Jason Heyward
Carl Edwards Jr.
Jordan Hicks
Aaron Altherr
Tony Kemp
Aaron Judge
Tim Anderson
Tim Beckham
Dee Gordon
Christin Stewart (I drafted him in a fantasy league last year)
Cameron Maybin
Mychal Givens

That's all I could name without looking stuff up. Twenty-seven guys, including Betts, Price, and Adell. Of course, Curtis Granderson and CC Sabathia just retired.

That's pretty good. Yeah, most of these names I know, they just didn't pop into my mind.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

The neat thing about the NFL and the MLB, is that you can get a Star for prospects and draft picks easier than in the NBA!

You see stars traded all the time in the NFL/MLB whose contract is coming up and his current team does not want to offer him a huge contract.

Whereas, in the NBA, the current team LOVES to overpay their stars to keep them and then try to unload them later on down the road, if possible: such as Wall, Love, CP3, Lowrey, etc...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
The neat thing about the NFL and the MLB, is that you can get a Star for prospects and draft picks easier than in the NBA!

You see stars traded all the time in the NFL/MLB whose contract is coming up and his current team does not want to offer him a huge contract.

Whereas, in the NBA, the current team LOVES to overpay their stars to keep them and then try to unload them later on down the road, if possible: such as Wall, Love, CP3, Lowrey, etc...

Two big differences between NBA & MLB:

One is that there aren't as many draft assets available (two rounds of draft, seven year rule, Stepien rule, etc.).

Another is that cash-in-trade is limited. The Dodgers had to pick up half of Price's contract in order to get Betts. Can't do that in the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Two big differences between NBA & MLB:

One is that there aren't as many draft assets available (two rounds of draft, seven year rule, Stepien rule, etc.).

Another is that cash-in-trade is limited. The Dodgers had to pick up half of Price's contract in order to get Betts. Can't do that in the NBA.

Also, there are less players in the NBA. Only 5 players on the court at a time. Every team can afford their best players due to max contracts. NBA teams don't trade their best players due to money. They only trade them when their best player refuses to sign an extension, i.e. Dwight Howard, Paul George, Chris Paul, etc.

This would be similar to the Mookie Betts situation where Boston traded him because he refused to sign an extension.

Also, in the NBA, every team spends at least the salary cap. Not so in MLB where only a few teams approach $200M and the lowest teams are under $100M in spending.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Alex Wood back in blue, with inside track to spot in Dodgers’ rotation

This time, though, the 29-year-old Wood was a free agent when he signed with the Dodgers and he did so only after getting assurances that he was viewed as a starter – making him the anticipated fifth starter alongside Walker Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, David Price and Julio Urias.

Yup, I think the rotation will be:

1. Buehler
2. Kershaw
3. Price
4. Urias
5. Wood

4 lefties and a righty
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

This time, though, the 29-year-old Wood was a free agent when he signed with the Dodgers and he did so only after getting assurances that he was viewed as a starter – making him the anticipated fifth starter alongside Walker Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, David Price and Julio Urias.

1. Buehler
2. Kershaw
3. Price
4. Urias
5. Wood

4 lefties and a righty

Yes, and when guys inevitably go on the DL, that's when Stripling and Gonsolin can take innings, and possibly May as well. You know they have to keep Urias' innings down, so I doubt that he makes 30 continuous starts this season, as I've mentioned before. Wood is fragile so he, too, likely won't be doing that. They could also go to a 6-man rotation later in the year, especially if the division title and home-field advantage looks likely.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

1. Buehler
2. Kershaw
3. Price
4. Urias
5. Wood

4 lefties and a righty

Yes, and when guys inevitably go on the DL, that's when Stripling and Gonsolin can take innings, and possibly May as well. You know they have to keep Urias' innings down, so I doubt that he makes 30 continuous starts this season, as I've mentioned before. Wood is fragile so he, too, likely won't be doing that. They could also go to a 6-man rotation later in the year, especially if the division title and home-field advantage looks likely.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Jimmy Nelson if he doesn't make the opening 26 man roster.

I'm sure he's out of options to be sent down to AAA? Maybe they come up with some bogus injury to stick him on the DL?

Quote:
The Brewers likely could have used him in a similar role, but his lack of remaining minor league options and his ability to refuse assignment to the minors — as was implied he did when he was struggling shortly after his re-debut — is ultimately what led to his non-tender.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

^
I would expect Nelson to make the 26-man roster (as a reliever/swingman) if healthy, unless he just looks completely washed. You are right that they could certainly stash him on the DL. May could very well end up starting in the minors.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
May could very well end up starting in the minors.

Sounds like it

Quote:
If Dustin May is going to be on the Dodgers’ opening day roster, it’s going to be as a starter, not a reliever, Roberts said Saturday. That dwindles the chances of the organization’s top pitching prospect beginning the season in the major leagues with seemingly only one rotation spot open for competition behind Clayton Kershaw, Walker Buehler, David Price and Urías.

“Right now we’re going to continue to build him up as a starter,” Roberts said. just don’t see it making a whole lot of sense as a young player to put him in the pen out of camp.”

Quote:
Roberts said it is vital that May develops his changeup as a consistent third pitch to complement his sinker and curveball.

Sounds like Gonsolin could make the roster as a reliever though

Quote:
Roberts said Tony Gonsolin is “in the same bucket,” but envisions a scenario in which the 25-year-old right-hander is in the Dodgers’ bullpen on opening day. Roberts cited Gonsolin’s age, previous workload and extensive experience as a reliever between the minors and majors.
cavsfan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject:

[Troll post deleted. -CL]
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

cavsfan wrote:
Kershaw chokes

Quite a second post. I can only imagine what may have been your first.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 247 of 248
Jump to: