The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

While I wouldn't pick him as the winner I still don't have issues with him winning. You guys are probably right about it being more of a career win vs for this one picture. Banderas is due too though. Hopefully he gets another role that earns a nomination.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Parasite. Never heard of it. Is this a movie about Robby Mook?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Parasite. Never heard of it. Is this a movie about David Sirota?

Yes
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
but Joaquin deserved it too

LINK

Yeah . . . was the typical Academy move of going with a character driven "performance" as opposed to one of genuine substance. Kinda like Malek last year.

Joaquin is a great performer but this role was all ticks and affects. The kind of thing Johnny Depp would star in if he weren’t canceled. He starts at 11 and ends at 11 and the movie he’s in stinks. There were much better choices but I think voters felt he was due. I’ll just pretend he won for The Master or You Were Never Really Here and refuse to let anyone correct me.

Doc Sportello would also like a word.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Yeah . . . was the typical Academy move of going with a character driven "performance" as opposed to one of genuine substance. Kinda like Malek last year.

Joaquin is a great performer but this role was all ticks and affects. The kind of thing Johnny Depp would star in if he weren’t canceled. He starts at 11 and ends at 11 and the movie he’s in stinks. There were much better choices but I think voters felt he was due. I’ll just pretend he won for The Master or You Were Never Really Here and refuse to let anyone correct me.

Someone else that watched Inherent Vice? Wow, there might finally be a dozen of us! He was also terrific in Her, but that was a tough year
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Someone else that watched Inherent Vice? Wow, there might finally be a dozen of us! He was also terrific in Her, but that was a tough year

I watched IV too but I think it just wasn't my cup of tea at the time (which sucked because the trailer had me SO excited for it). Her was great but I think ScarJo was the standout in that, for me at least.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

LINK

I watched IV too but I think it just wasn't my cup of tea at the time (which sucked because the trailer had me SO excited for it). Her was great but I think ScarJo was the standout in that, for me at least.

Yeah, IV had some rough spots. I remember it being a bit too long. ScarJo was terrific, I just feel like JP had the more difficult role - the movie completely falters if Theodore Twombly isn't as compelling, tender, or vulnerable as JP made him to be.

Have you seen Under the Silver Lake? It's about as Pynchon-y a movie gets without being from the man himself.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Chubby Joaquin Phoenix doing pratfalls in front of cops > skinny Joaquin Phoenix climbing into a refrigerator.

IV's in one of my favorite subgenres - the langourous Southern California noir movie that goes back to at least Murder by Contract - and I'm a sucker for the post-Punch Drunk Love PTA touch.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Yeah, IV had some rough spots. I remember it being a bit too long. ScarJo was terrific, I just feel like JP had the more difficult role - the movie completely falters if Theodore Twombly isn't as compelling, tender, or vulnerable as JP made him to be.

Have you seen Under the Silver Lake? It's about as Pynchon-y a movie gets without being from the man himself.

I have. I actually recently watched it, it was interesting. I heard it compared to Big Lebowski as stoner-noir but I definitely would say it's more of a stoner, meandering version of Chinatown.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I forgot who mentioned it upthread, but here's the link to the full-length, subbed version of Bong's Memories of Murder on YouTube: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=F3tw66BBdDw
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I forgot who mentioned it upthread, but here's the link to the full-length, subbed version of Bong's Memories of Murder on YouTube: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=F3tw66BBdDw

One underrated plus from this movie is that it contains several dropkicks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

One underrated plus from this movie is that it contains several dropkicks.

Don't forget to put a shower cap on your boot and never kick toward the face.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Honey Boy is now streaming on Prime.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Honey Boy is an excellent film. It should have garnered more recognition during awards season, particularly for the acting.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Honey Boy is an excellent film. It should have garnered more recognition during awards season, particularly for the acting.

I'm looking forward to seeing at some point this month.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lol @ the NYC steakhouse charging $18 for the ramdon/jjapaguri with sirloin from Parasite: TimeOut New York
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

Wes Anderson's new movie, The French Dispatch, had its trailer released today.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TcPk2p0Zaw4&feature=emb_logo
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

And next week Martin Scorsese's new doc about The Band comes out, which I am looking forward:

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Wes Anderson's new movie, The French Dispatch, had its trailer released today.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TcPk2p0Zaw4&feature=emb_logo

This makes me want to rewatch The Dreamers

Also a very sexy trailer.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject:

Just watched Parasite. It's the best movie I've seen in the past year and deserves the Oscar.

Watched 2015's The Invitation. Surprisingly good. And I don't usually like slow burn psychological horrors.

Next I'm gonna watch Blue Ruin. Heard it's pretty good.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Just watched Parasite. It's the best movie I've seen in the past year and deserves the Oscar.

Watched 2015's The Invitation. Surprisingly good. And I don't usually like slow burn psychological horrors.

Next I'm gonna watch Blue Ruin. Heard it's pretty good.

If we could post images, I would post the Jack Nicholson head nodding gif as you wend your way through a wonderful selection of cinema.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

I remember I did a back to back viewing of Blue Ruin and Cold in July. That was a fun one lol.

The Invitation is great. Keeps the wheels turning the entire time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Just got done watching it with my husband. I was neither moved nor awed. I realize that is a contrarian take here, and maybe it's because I had sky-high expectations after it just won a few Oscars, but yeah.

I always assumed you were a straight white man, Stu.

I'll have you know that I'm a gay Italian/Sicilian/Irish guy! In all seriousness, I mean, it was good. I was entertained. But do I think it was groundbreaking or incredible? Nah. Again, perhaps my expectations were just sky-high after all the awards it just won. To be fair, I feel this way about many, many films that ended up winning Best Picture.

I often think the worst thing that can happen to a good movie's reputation is that it wins an Oscar, but these awards have power in the industry, which likely means an open checkbook for Bong's next project, hopefully means South Korean cinema has a permanent place at the prestige cinema table in the minds of Oscar voters, and even more hopefully helps inspire average moviegoers to give more foreign language films a chance.

As to the quality of Parasite, the film felt effortless, which is what so impressed me. There were a small handful of more flawed movies that moved me more in 2019, but Parasite is top notch technical filmmaking and Bong's ability to seamlessly blend genres is near the top of the art right now. He's always used genre, humor, and his innate visual talent to create slick, entertaining movies that are a palatable coating to deliver his social critiques of masculinity and violence, the American military, factory farms, capitalism, etc.

I think that slickness can also make his movies feel cold and detached, and I admit I'm not often strongly moved by his films - the endings of Mother and Memories of Murder being exceptions - but the extended sequence in Parasite during the rainstorm from the Kim family drinking to the descent into the flooded basement apartment with Ki-jung/Jessica (Park So-dam) on a toilet spewing sewage as she tries to get WiFi to me was a masterclass and ends with an obvious visual metaphor, but one I've rarely seen executed with such visual flair and wit. Heck, the awkward fingering scene on the couch was uncomfortably funny because it was so perfectly observed (though maybe I'm revealing too much about myself with that comment) and is a microcosm of Bong's ability to step outside and show us how absurd life really is.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Maybe it'll pay off more for you on a second viewing a few years down the line when it's not so closely linked to its Oscar win, but sometimes the art just never hits right, and that's okay, too. Like, Noah Baumbach and Pedro Costa have passionate fan bases, but I've never really connected with their movies so far.

ETA: Here's a detailed Twitter thread breaking down how Bong uses visual information in Parasite's driving scenes to establish power between characters: https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1220390286754566144

Rewatched Parasite and can reaffirm that it's a stone cold killer. The emotional beats hit deeper when not marvelling at the craftsmanship, though I was blown away at how everything in the narrative tied together perfectly when I knew where the plot was going the second time through. I was blown away by the performances watching it again, and Park Myung Hoon who plays the housekeeper's husband in the basement gives a physical and oddly emotionally resonant performance as he justifies his way of life to Kim Ki-taek (who will soon replace him in the basement) and mourns his dying wife before snapping.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

For no reason at all I want to note that Menace II Society and Dead Presidents should be considered classics. That's it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I normally am anti-biopic, but a movie about the short, fascinating life of actor John Garfield could be incredible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 61 of 189
Jump to: