Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44850
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10809

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.


Not to this viewer. The third season was the weakest by far but the later seasons have been quite exceptional, again, at least to this viewer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 10361

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

was the bomb in the chest thing the third season? I forget at this point lol
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17363
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Yesterday's Curb Your Enthusiasm was fantastic. Arguably the best episode ever.


I was just telling my friend that it was an all-timer. So many good bits. The toothbrush emergency was great (It's a FLUKE emergency!). As someone who once worked front desk, the bit with the front desk guy had me dying


I hope Larry's Spite Store opens.

I thought last week's was funny as well. "Lo tthh-iento, Lo tthh-iento"
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 85577
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.


I respect your right to your opinion, and in the third season it did look that way, but I submit that the Brody seasons aren't even in the top 3 best seasons of Homeland. The last few years have been really solid. There was one clunky season in there, forget which one, but overall really really solid.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44850
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.


I respect your right to your opinion, and in the third season it did look that way, but I submit that the Brody seasons aren't even in the top 3 best seasons of Homeland. The last few years have been really solid. There was one clunky season in there, forget which one, but overall really really solid.


I have no doubt that at some point something interesting happened on Homeland after Brody's death or else it wouldn't have come back season after season. And I am glad you and others enjoyed whatever that was. But for my viewing sensibilities, the Carrie is a kookie, semi-functional genius grew old really quickly once the dynamics of Brody's story went away.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 85577
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.


I respect your right to your opinion, and in the third season it did look that way, but I submit that the Brody seasons aren't even in the top 3 best seasons of Homeland. The last few years have been really solid. There was one clunky season in there, forget which one, but overall really really solid.


I have no doubt that at some point something interesting happened on Homeland after Brody's death or else it wouldn't have come back season after season. And I am glad you and others enjoyed whatever that was. But for my viewing sensibilities, the Carrie is a kookie, semi-functional genius grew old really quickly once the dynamics of Brody's story went away.


I hear you. Her go to about to cry cray cray look bugged me. But then they went deeper.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22059
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Briarpatch is fire.


I am happy to hear this. I've been listening to Andy Greenwald on The Watch podcast for awhile and he seems like a really cool guy who has worked very hard on this. I hope this show is very successful.


The Watch is one of the few podcasts I regularly listen to. I'm happy for Andy as well. I watched first season of Legion. Apparently he was involved with it. But the show got a little to trippy and abstract for me midway through season 2.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 10979

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

I keep exploring British crime shows. After finishing Broadchurch and The Stranger, I've started Happy Valley.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10809

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I keep exploring British crime shows. After finishing Broadchurch and The Stranger, I've started Happy Valley.


My favorite is Midsummer Murders that was on Netflix but pulled recently to be included on the Britbox network. It is currently running and beginning its 20th season this January. It is a character and setting driven, crime mystery show, with a delightful British sensibility. These are quite different from American tough guy cop shows, and, of course, their approach is different as they don't normally wear guns. We go into these village communities that maintain traditions more than most, though still modern, with these charming homes and manors, obviously built long ago with their shorter, say six footish foot ceilings, with an array of interesting characters, with everyone knowing everyone, and with all their rivalries (having a row--pronounce rau--with them), and, of course, someone gets murdered.

But one thing is for sure, the murder rate in Midsummer (a fictional community) is off the charts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 14835

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Homeland with the Pakistani intelligents’ power play
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22059
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject:

Having already read The Outsider. Kudos to whomever is making the show. They've made a timid Stephen King story remarkable. They've really elevated the story in a way that alot of visual media doesn't when it's adapted from books.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 8075
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

Power is getting 4 spinoffs.

Tariq in college
Tate
Kanan prequel
Tommy in LA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9329
Location: LA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Having already read The Outsider. Kudos to whomever is making the show. They've made a timid Stephen King story remarkable. They've really elevated the story in a way that alot of visual media doesn't when it's adapted from books.


Did you also read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy? I hear they're connected and wanted to wait to watch/read The Outsider until after I finished the other books. Is there spoilers or are they separate storylines just with some of the same characters?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17363
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Having already read The Outsider. Kudos to whomever is making the show. They've made a timid Stephen King story remarkable. They've really elevated the story in a way that alot of visual media doesn't when it's adapted from books.


Did you also read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy? I hear they're connected and wanted to wait to watch/read The Outsider until after I finished the other books. Is there spoilers or are they separate storylines just with some of the same characters?


I don't think you need to wait. The only real connection between the two is one of the main characters Holly Gibney. Mr. Mercedes explains why Holly is so open-minded to what's happening in The Outsider given her experiences in Mr. Mercedes. However, the TV series makes no mention of the connection to that and she's presented as a brand new character.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22059
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Power is getting 4 spinoffs.

Tariq in college
Tate
Kanan prequel
Tommy in LA


No way in hell am I watching the first 2.
Kanan prequel I'll give a chance to. But Tommy in LA sounds great.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9329
Location: LA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Having already read The Outsider. Kudos to whomever is making the show. They've made a timid Stephen King story remarkable. They've really elevated the story in a way that alot of visual media doesn't when it's adapted from books.


Did you also read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy? I hear they're connected and wanted to wait to watch/read The Outsider until after I finished the other books. Is there spoilers or are they separate storylines just with some of the same characters?


I don't think you need to wait. The only real connection between the two is one of the main characters Holly Gibney. Mr. Mercedes explains why Holly is so open-minded to what's happening in The Outsider given her experiences in Mr. Mercedes. However, the TV series makes no mention of the connection to that and she's presented as a brand new character.


Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know. It looks like I will be starting it today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 8075
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Power is getting 4 spinoffs.

Tariq in college
Tate
Kanan prequel
Tommy in LA


No way in hell am I watching the first 2.
Kanan prequel I'll give a chance to. But Tommy in LA sounds great.


Agreed. The Tariq spinoff sounds like it'll be just like Power but without Ghost and Tommy, which is a no go for me. And Tommy in LA definitely sounds like the best of the group.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20204
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
IMO homeland jumped the shark with the whole bomb in the guy's chest thing

does it get better after that?


That series ended when Brody's storyline did.


I couldn't agree more. I had no desire to watch after that.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB